Helpful ReplyThe Kids are Alright

Author
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
2018/06/01 04:12:24 (permalink)

The Kids are Alright

Had to travel many miles yesterday. Beautiful ride but a bit scary out there in the bush. Every wheel hitting a pothole that didn’t blow out a tire or break an axle, prayer to God to get us there safe, and back if we didn’t already burn off all our good karma on the ride getting to the show.

My grandson’s final concert of the season (7th grade and second violinist in the orchestra). Could not miss this for anything or we were in big trouble.

They did 3 compositions before the “chamber orchestra” came in and did their three things. Chamber guys and girls were 8th grade and weeded out from the 7th graders as the best of their best.

My kid’s group came on. Although they have improved from last year, it was still an act of devotion trying to overlook the horrible out of tune performance. Even the director was making excuses. My kid was buried out of site in the back row. Unfortunately heard an especially sour out of tune performance coming from somewhere in his direction. They practiced, but the kid is more into video games than nailing down the discipline needed to play a violin.

Could only however love the presentation and the work it required to do the show.

The 8th grader chamber group came on and it was another story. Crack team of kids doing a difficult Vivaldi concerto, spin on Bohemian Rhapsody, some elegant piece by a female composer, introduced as so few female composers making the stage, but check this one out.

Blew what is left of my mind.

The talent was incredible. Nothing my 8th grade class could have come near to. Things have and are evolving.

Moan about the insane excess of music media, and still do. So much s**t out there that it buries real talent that never gets heard. Have gone thru most of your websites and mind blown about the gift many of you guys and girls have that will never make the big time because it is being drowned out in garbage, and will never be heard outside of a small forum. Such a forking tragedy.

Had me burned out that rock, and music in general has passed a zenith if not already dead. Everything deteriorating into formulas and hooks to make a fast buck.

Listening to these kids and got a shot of reality that music still survives in our youth. Friggin incredible. Don’t know where it is all headed, but it is beautiful.

John
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: The Kids are Alright 2018/06/01 05:24:40 (permalink)
With money involved it's always about RISK.  One has to take risks to be unique, but the one's with the dough want safe instead.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The Kids are Alright 2018/06/01 14:33:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2018/06/01 15:38:43
eph221
With money involved it's always about RISK.  One has to take risks to be unique, but the one's with the dough want safe instead.

Pedro stole ephs login.
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: The Kids are Alright 2018/06/01 15:33:35 (permalink)
I think beginning the child on an instrument early is a good thing. I don't believe expectations need to be so high if they enjoy it without a hard push into it. Improvement is a given if they like to play. 
I took up violin just over two years ago. It is a challenging instrument, even for someone who has played other instruments. Small area to finger. No frets. The bow makes HUGE difference as does the violin and set up itself.
The fact that he is playing the instrument at all is a plus. Small gains can take a long time.
I would limit the video game playing. If you don't do that, this is all he will want to do. JMO. Violin practice is minimal 1 hour a day if you want to be meh in two years. If you want to be good it should be 2-3 hours a day or more playing the right things.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: The Kids are Alright 2018/06/01 18:54:23 (permalink)
Part of the kid's problem is that he is a genius who so far hasn't had to struggle with anything. One "B" in otherwise straight A's and doesn't really study. Got into sports, football, basketball. Went to the top of the pack in both with minimal effort. Trying to get him to put down the cell phone and concentrate or doubt he'll survive the auditions for the chamber orchestra spot.

He's finding that violin is another realm that's not going to magically fall together like most everything else he has dealt with in life this far.  He is also discovering one more thing that will not get him an instant mastery...girls...
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: The Kids are Alright 2018/06/01 19:16:39 (permalink)
Yes those years are both fun and tough at the same time. He has an advantage in being intelligent. Unfortunately that won't translate into learning the motor skills needed for such a demanding instrument. Being intelligent will help him in music theory and memory retention though.
Thousands of people quit the violin every year after they see what's involved.. Being another statistic would not be uncommon. 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Jyotishvarii
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: The Kids are Alright 2018/06/01 23:23:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beagle 2018/06/07 18:24:40
JohnKenn
He is also discovering one more thing that will not get him an instant mastery...girls...

You will have to find a way to gently tell him that this will never happen
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1