The Lounge Lizard

Author
opensky
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 481
2007/08/05 02:04:12 (permalink)

The Lounge Lizard

Finally finished the second part of the Trilogy. The first part was I'm Talking to you. Thanks to all who commented on that song as I gained a lot of valuable feedback. Any
comments on the song, production and recording will be very helpful. This is the first mix.

www.soundclick.com/open
The Lounge Lizard

Steve
www.soundclick.com/opensky
www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis

27 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/05 03:05:08 (permalink)
    Extraordinary stuff Steve. I always enjoy your pieces, they have tons of little details to get immersed in. The 'lounge' section made me smile, and the melody over that is really nice, reminded me of Marillion a little. Love that section at 2:30 with the 'classic' chorused arpeggio too.

Must have been a pig to mix eh? Good job, sounds great through 'phones.

Very interesting work indeed, I'm going back for a second listen.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/05 03:38:06 (permalink)
    Really cool. Love those rhythm changes - they keep coming as a surprise, but never unpleasant, well done. Really interesting stuff, lots of details indeed, will take a listen to part 1 too. As to the mix, no real comments, would just get it mastered.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Dazed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/05 09:03:40 (permalink)
    Steve very cool song. I am very impressed. Whoa! Nice extremely fast changeup there! Doing this live would be a challenge :).

I think what impresses me most is this could potentially be three or four songs! Love the variety in here.

Enjoyed it!
    opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/05 14:33:07 (permalink)
    Thanks James! Always good to hear from you. I deeply value your opinion so thank you
    very much. Yeah, it was a pig to mix but it was another valuable learning experience. Tell me what you think after you've listened to it a few times. I'm always interested to know if the song "grows" on a person. I know my pieces have a lot to digest so they do not necessarily make out as good first time listenings. I personally enjoy songs that can stand the test of repeated listening where the listener picks up something new each time. I gues that's why I like to spend time including "little nuggets" that a person catches on the umpteenth listening.

Thanks again James!

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Extraordinary stuff Steve. I always enjoy your pieces, they have tons of little details to get immersed in. The 'lounge' section made me smile, and the melody over that is really nice, reminded me of Marillion a little. Love that section at 2:30 with the 'classic' chorused arpeggio too.

Must have been a pig to mix eh? Good job, sounds great through 'phones.

Very interesting work indeed, I'm going back for a second listen.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/05 17:11:29 (permalink)
    Parable of the Lost Son- WOW! That sure is one incredible version you worked out on this song. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! Very well done, to say the least! Thanks for sharing this.

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/05 17:27:09 (permalink)
    Steve, nothing but pure praise for this one. It keeps your interest at a peak from the very beginning to the very end, just anticipating what may come next. Excellent message, outstanding performance, mix is perfect...........quality at it's best. When is Part 3 coming out..........inquiring minds want to know!!!

DuRod
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/05 17:52:18 (permalink)
    Excellent. The part where you sing in the "lounge" (?) the vocal seems too forward when everything else is kind of lounge muffled. I'm just nitpicking there. Its all great.
    post edited by marcos69 - 2007/08/05 17:59:34

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/05 19:05:50 (permalink)
    Steve,
    Lots of interesting things going on in this song man! I love all the various "themes" you've created musically. It holds the listeners attention for sure. Great playing and mix as well!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/06 01:54:24 (permalink)
    Thanks! I decided to not be afraid to experiment here. I know what I did on this song
    breaks about every rule on writing a "hit" song, so I appreciate comments.
    ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Really cool. Love those rhythm changes - they keep coming as a surprise, but never unpleasant, well done. Really interesting stuff, lots of details indeed, will take a listen to part 1 too. As to the mix, no real comments, would just get it mastered.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

johneboy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/06 11:52:06 (permalink)
    wow, thats simply weird and wonderful. i really like music that bends the rules a bit (or more than a bit) without being too over the top into the land of the pure experimental; that being said , i really like this track. a lot of different textures, an 'lil bits that make me nod my head and go 'hmmmm'. very listenable and interesting.

Gear:
    Home Studio 6 xl
    echo mia sound card
    korg k49 controller
    Ibanez acoustic
    Ovation Acoustic
    A Mouse
    Computer Specs: Pentium 4 - 3.00 ghz, RAM 895 MB, 32 bit OS, running Vista
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/06 16:27:48 (permalink)
    Open, what a terrific song. So many changes you've got to be paying attention. This is NOT easy listening music. You have so many ideas in here, many of which could be turned into a song of its own, the way an overture introduces you to themes that will be further developed later in the work. Very intriguing.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/06 16:58:02 (permalink)
    Nice stuff, mon. It's definitely out there in a good way. If I did a song with those types of disjoint sections, I'd feel like it sounded arbitrary and pieced together, but this one doesn't. It flows nicely even though on paper it shouldn't.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/07 02:08:46 (permalink)
    Thanks! You're right about being a challenge doing it live. I kind of write vignettes and string them together like scenes in a play or movie since this is a story. Ooops, dare i say rock opera. Forget i said that.

ORIGINAL: Dazed

Steve very cool song. I am very impressed. Whoa! Nice extremely fast changeup there! Doing this live would be a challenge :).

I think what impresses me most is this could potentially be three or four songs! Love the variety in here.

Enjoyed it!

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/07 14:25:43 (permalink)
    Thanks! My pleasure.
    ORIGINAL: theguitarplayer

Parable of the Lost Son- WOW! That sure is one incredible version you worked out on this song. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! Very well done, to say the least! Thanks for sharing this.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/08 12:35:38 (permalink)
    Thanks Durod. I appreciate your encouraging comments. I hope to have part 3 done in a few months. It seems like a song of this intensity now takes me about 2-3 months to create and record. Thanks for your interest!
    ORIGINAL: DuRod

Steve, nothing but pure praise for this one. It keeps your interest at a peak from the very beginning to the very end, just anticipating what may come next. Excellent message, outstanding performance, mix is perfect...........quality at it's best. When is Part 3 coming out..........inquiring minds want to know!!!

DuRod

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/08 12:39:36 (permalink)
    I just uploaded a new mastered version by Jamz. Any comments would be appreciated.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/09 12:14:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Marcos69. I'm glad you're nitpicking. That's
    why I put it on here. Thanks for noticing that.
    ORIGINAL: marcos69

Excellent. The part where you sing in the "lounge" (?) the vocal seems too forward when everything else is kind of lounge muffled. I'm just nitpicking there. Its all great.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/09 21:25:04 (permalink)
    I'll give this a bump.

Steve, this piece had a little of everything! Very interesting track!
    I really liked the vocal sections...pretty cool.
    opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/12 01:24:42 (permalink)
    Thanks!

ORIGINAL: lhansen

Steve,
    Lots of interesting things going on in this song man! I love all the various "themes" you've created musically. It holds the listeners attention for sure. Great playing and mix as well!

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/12 12:32:44 (permalink)
    Very creative peice. You have a great feel for music and a great ear for mixing as well. As far as the song I felt the vocal parts were spot on and wanted to hear them more while listening throughout. It felt like too much time was going by w/o them in spots. I can tell alot of work went into this, it shows. There is a method to the madness so to speak in the arrangement, I think I was feeling it could just have a tighter knit. This is just a small nitpick though as I pretty much loved every minute of it. Really amazing work man, Keep it up.

Ed Edge

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/12 17:32:12 (permalink)
    Steve,
    Very creative stuff here, a quiltwork really, a story weaving. I really liked your vocals and delivery style, nice huge chorused guitar arpeggios, expressive violin, harmony vocals just so right on. Crystal clear mix, nice detail in the high end. Great work on this.
    ChipAllen
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/12 21:27:59 (permalink)
    Steve, you asked if it "grows" on us.
    For me, it absolutely does.
    I keep listening to it.
    Very creative, careful, inspiring work.
    Toystein
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 171
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/12 22:38:09 (permalink)
    When I was first listening I was like wtf!?!?

Overall I was blown away by the progressive and diverse nature of the tune. Nice composition, all the changes were very flowing-the vocals were well done. Tune is polished, Im sure you gave this a lot of loving care, it sounds great.

I downloaded the mp3, to hear the mix better. You must be using one of the BFD or similar sound sets. The drums could have been more present in the mix, especially the toms during the violin part, but overall a smooth safe mix.

btw, 10mb download... You may be able to get away with 192kbps - not too much of a difference in sound for most systems.

Thanks for the tune man - you are thinking outside the box

opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/13 01:45:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Ed! I know what you mean by the interludes between the vocal parts. I was kind
    of getting into a progressive rock flow which is very typical of that genre. Thanks for the comments.
    ORIGINAL: Maxprizm

Very creative peice. You have a great feel for music and a great ear for mixing as well. As far as the song I felt the vocal parts were spot on and wanted to hear them more while listening throughout. It felt like too much time was going by w/o them in spots. I can tell alot of work went into this, it shows. There is a method to the madness so to speak in the arrangement, I think I was feeling it could just have a tighter knit. This is just a small nitpick though as I pretty much loved every minute of it. Really amazing work man, Keep it up.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/14 01:04:27 (permalink)
    Interesting piece, really appreciate the creativity / imagination that went into it.
    opensky
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/18 12:42:38 (permalink)
    Thanks ToneCarver! Always good to hear from you.
    ORIGINAL: ToneCarver

Steve,
    Very creative stuff here, a quiltwork really, a story weaving. I really liked your vocals and delivery style, nice huge chorused guitar arpeggios, expressive violin, harmony vocals just so right on. Crystal clear mix, nice detail in the high end. Great work on this.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

clarkeo
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: The Lounge Lizard 2007/08/18 13:06:36 (permalink)
    Wow-a lot of different directions in this but yet there seems to be a method to your madness :) I'll agree it's very creative. I like it! Really like the violin part. I thought the drums were a little muffled but other than that the mix/overall sound was excellent. Has a little of Kansas feel in spots but with a little more alternative twist. Very cool tune.

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1