Author
clubbedtodeath
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
2005/08/21 10:47:30 (permalink)

The Miracle of Life

Hello all,

It's been a while..

I've just finished a sort-of-classical piece, inspired by a poem entitled 'The Miracle of Life', about birth and rebirth. It's basically in three parts: Autumn, Winter, and the reprise: Spring.

I'm using SONAR with three instances of Garritan Personal Orchestra, with FXReverb and FXDelay on some parts.

Here's the links to the MP3

Miracle of Life (streaming)

Miracle of Life (download)

Here's the poem:

The Miracle of Life
By Christie Grahame

--

The Miracle of Life begins
As Autumn over Summer wins,
And eve'ning breeze its warning spills
The near advent of Winter chills.
Then Garden Beauties fragrant dance
As bait to Busy Bees entrance,
That they in frenzied honeyed lust
Spread wide the fertile Pollen Dust.

Descending Dust seductive show'rs
On Stamens of impassioned flow'rs
Till brilliant Petals fold and hide
The Miracles conceived inside.
Their Beauty now beyond recall,
The withered Petals fade and fall
Revealing as they drift to Earth
The Seed their Beauty brought to birth..

But Seeds of dormant Beauties wake
And with their probing Fingers break
The earthy Crust that Winter's Frost;
Cemented firm and Rime embossed;
Had in its frozen shield encased
The seedling Beauties new upraised.
Thus Miracle of Life's re-told
When probing Shoots as Leaves unfold

Let me know what you all think!

Cheers
post edited by clubbedtodeath - 2005/08/22 07:58:51

14 Replies Related Threads

pluto
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Classical piece: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/21 10:58:14 (permalink)
    Wow... very good job. Very nice piece. Really
    enjoyed this one. I was in another place while
    listening. Very soothing and relaxing and definitely
    a change of pace for me anyways.... lol.

Best Regards,
    Pluto
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Classical piece: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/21 11:01:02 (permalink)
    Angus, That's an absolutely beautiful piece. It evokes a feeling of Vaughn William's Lark Ascending mixed with Asian pentatonic. And I like the touches of dissonance here and there.

I can find nothing recommend changing. The music and production are excellent. The only odd thing is the steaming length said 11:30 min and the play time was only 6:30. Hey, I had to find something right? ;-)
    clubbedtodeath
    RE: Classical piece: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/21 14:22:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the flattery guys...

That scale you hear is one that's common in Scottish traditional music - it's similar to Asian scales.

Also, I've just had permission from the author to reproduce the poem (see first post in the thread).
    gugliel
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Classical piece: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/21 17:19:49 (permalink)
    Well done! I think my favorite spot was maybe spring(?), at around 5:30 where the flute combined with the beginning music.

Couple of very small observations as I listened: a chord change just after 2:00 or so had something not quite right to my ears in passing; maybe a wrong note at 1:41 or so (maybe these are just Ed's dissonances, though!); the pauses at 2:30 needed eliding across sooner, maybe -- though you did it not too long after I noticed this, so it might be just fine. The change in piano timbre and panning at the very end sounded odd to me, and the ending might be a little stronger in general, possibly. All these just tiny things that might help if you're still polishing, nothing important; the piece works extremely well just as it is.
    post edited by gugliel - 2005/08/21 17:26:38

www.soundclick.com/guglielmo
    clubbedtodeath
    RE: Classical piece: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/21 18:24:04 (permalink)
    Well done! I think my favorite spot was maybe spring(?), at around 5:30 where the flute combined with the beginning music.

Thank you! I'm proud of that bit; it's meant to be a lark heralding spring. Maybe a bit cliché, but I'm not smart enough to do anything other than cliché

Couple of very small observations as I listened: a chord change just after 2:00 or so had something not quite right to my ears in passing; maybe a wrong note at 1:41 or so (maybe these are just Ed's dissonances, though!);

Ah. It's actually a progression from B flat major 7th, to D minor, then A flat to F major. The A flat to F major thing (and back again) can give a sense of unease (see Star War's Darth Vader theme tune) - which is why I used to it. Perhaps a little to dischordant, though..

At 2:00 though, I think you may be right. Perhaps I should leave the solo violin hanging over the top of the chord change to give a sense of continuity. It'll have to wait a while though - I have, as we say in Scotland 'knocked my pan out' over the couple of days on this piece!

the pauses at 2:30 needed eliding across sooner, maybe -- though you did it not too long after I noticed this, so it might be just fine.

I agree. But tempo rubato is difficult to achieve in Sonar: to my mind at least, injecting lots of tempo changes quickly gets messy. To get a natural feel for the lark's voice (the flute), I had to simply just turn off the metronome, forget about quanitisation and just play it solo out. This works best I find with individual instruments, but very difficult to do with an ensemble, though.

The best way to get a natural feel and timing of course, would be to get a real chamber orchestra. Not that that's terribly likely to happen!

The change in piano timbre and panning at the very end sounded odd to me, and the ending might be a little stronger in general, possibly.

Yes. I feel the harp and the piano out to switch panning positions at the end. However, I haven't worked out how to create envelopes for individual instruments inside GPO yet.

And now I think about it, the last part does need a bit of motion to it. It's about spring; vivacity and reawakening. Perhaps some arpeggiated viola/violin to give a bit of movement?

All these just tiny things that might help if you're still polishing, nothing important; the piece works extremely well just as it is.

Thanks. And I appreciate your criticisms; this kind of thing makes you think about the music you create.
    post edited by clubbedtodeath - 2005/08/21 18:30:26
    gugliel
    RE: Classical piece: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/22 09:47:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: clubbedtodeath

But tempo rubato is difficult to achieve in Sonar: to my mind at least, injecting lots of tempo changes quickly gets messy. To get a natural feel for the lark's voice (the flute), I had to simply just turn off the metronome, forget about quanitisation and just play it solo out. This works best I find with individual instruments, but very difficult to do with an ensemble, though.

You probably already know this, and still feel it's messy, but: sonar offers to my mind very good control of tempo changes! Go to the 'tempo window' (view - tempo), turn off the quantization button, zoom in so you are only looking at 4 or 5 measures, then use the pencil tool to draw tempo changes. Work out a good basic flow, then copy and paste 6-8 measures across the standard parts of your piece, then go back and make individual adjustments to those parts that need a little more slowing or more rarely speeding along.
    post edited by gugliel - 2005/08/22 09:53:40

clubbedtodeath
    RE: Classical piece: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/22 14:06:20 (permalink)
    You probably already know this

I didn't

and still feel it's messy

I don't

sonar offers to my mind very good control of tempo changes! Go to the 'tempo window' (view - tempo), turn off the quantization button, zoom in so you are only looking at 4 or 5 measures, then use the pencil tool to draw tempo changes.

I'll bear that in mind. Thanks, Gugliel!
    post edited by clubbedtodeath - 2005/08/22 14:12:54
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/24 07:44:48 (permalink)
    Gee Angus, I wish I could get GPO to sound this good.
    It's a very beautiful piece of music, worlds away from the dance material that I've heard from you (not that there's anything wrong with the dance stuff, just that this is far more complex, melodic and intriguing.)
    Excellent

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

clubbedtodeath
    RE: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/24 10:56:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

Gee Angus, I wish I could get GPO to sound this good.

Thanks Paul.

I almost never use the ensemble strings; not that there's nothing wrong with them, but I find the solo instruments give the music a nice chamber orchestra feel. And the harps just sound superb.

It's a very beautiful piece of music, worlds away from the dance material that I've heard from you (not that there's anything wrong with the dance stuff, just that this is far more complex, melodic and intriguing.)

I prefer writing this kind of stuff; it feels more natural. I don't have to spend hours and hours on production, the sound is just there - all I need to do is write the notes down. Much simpler, and it allows me to concentrate on what to say.

Cheers
    clubbedtodeath
    RE: Classical piece: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/24 11:01:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gugliel

... the ending might be a little stronger in general, possibly.

With that in mind, I added some pizzicato double bass and harp near the end (5:15 onwards).

You can download it here:

Miracle of Life - revised (mp3)

Tell me what you think - too cluttered, or better? Too subtle perhaps?
    DX1451
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/24 12:34:17 (permalink)
    Just streamed your work and listened through WMP w/the classical EQ preset. Amazing sound for software. You certainly can train it to do your bidding. I have dial up and while buffering the piece I was able to review the posts and I must say when I read the Scottish traditional remark I was stoked to hear it. Could hardly wait for the selection to finish buffering. Pure movie soundtrack material, IMO. If you could get a chamber orchestra to do this it would be most excellent. 5 stars out of 5 from someone who isn't that classically oriented, but still has ears to hear.

F-A-C-E is a Fmaj7 chord
    gugliel
    RE: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/24 15:41:45 (permalink)
    Listened to the ending again -- could it be that you've remixed, and messed up your balances slightly? I do this regularly. Now the piano and harp come out clearly, but the flute is a little lost in it all. Still good music, but maybe, if my equipment is honest, still another mix needed.

[edit] still had the original version on my disk -- and compared them: you have changed the reverb so that it is shorter, but stronger --- the long, quiet reverb worked pretty well without over-coloring anything. The new one, maybe, has become too muddy.
    post edited by gugliel - 2005/08/24 15:51:32

clubbedtodeath
    RE: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/24 16:21:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gugliel

Listened to the ending again -- could it be that you've remixed, and messed up your balances slightly?

I tinkered a bit..

I didn't really touch the reverb as such, but that reverb's chained to a delay which I did change, so rather than delay going left->right, now it's more centred.

Now the piano and harp come out clearly, but the flute is a little lost in it all.

I thought long and hard about this.

When introducing Spring at the end, the lark song (flute) is at the fore, and then when the other elements of Spring emerge, the music shifts focus from the lark to the solo violin melody. The solo violin describes the buds of flowers opening, and the green shoots appearing through the ground. So necessarily, the flute does get a little lost in it all, it in effect becomes just 'bird chatter' in the background.

This was especially important to bear in mind when adding the pizzicato contrabass and harp at the end. They're meant to suggest the light rain on the newly unfurled leaves.

With all these things going on, putting all the instruments to the fore would be like several people trying to tell you different things at once - and so everything would just become 'bird chatter' in effect.

Of course, the great thing about Sonar and GPO is you can test your hypotheses out - I did exactly that. And putting the lark closer to the listener was detrimental to the other parts, which have something new to say; the lark song has already made it's opening statement, but still exists to serve as a continuity of thought as well add texture.

Still good music, but maybe, if my equipment is honest, still another mix needed.

[edit] still had the original version on my disk -- and compared them: you have changed the reverb so that it is shorter, but stronger --- the long, quiet reverb worked pretty well without over-coloring anything. The new one, maybe, has become too muddy.

I'll see what others say. I honestly can't hear any muddiness on my own set-up, but it may well be that I'm wrong.
    post edited by clubbedtodeath - 2005/08/24 16:27:29
    clubbedtodeath
    RE: The Miracle of Life 2005/08/24 16:39:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DX1451

Just streamed your work and listened through WMP w/the classical EQ preset. Amazing sound for software. You certainly can train it to do your bidding. I have dial up and while buffering the piece I was able to review the posts and I must say when I read the Scottish traditional remark I was stoked to hear it.

Thanks!

There's a certain very deep soulfulness, perhaps in the same way that blues has, in many types of Scottish music. I think it's possible to inject a bit of that soul without rendering the musical equivalent of neon tartan. It also gives the music a unique colour - being a Scotsman in Scotland gives me convenient exposure and access to all sorts of Scottish music.

And if it gets someone in some other part of the World interested in Scottish music, that's no bad thing either.

Could hardly wait for the selection to finish buffering. Pure movie soundtrack material, IMO.

Well, when I write programme music like this, I usually have a series of images and scenes in my head which I translate into notes. I reckon an animated short would just be incredibly cool.

If you could get a chamber orchestra to do this it would be most excellent.

Absolutely, indeed chance would be a fine thing.

If you know any bored chamber orchestra musicians with lots of free time on their hands, let me know...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1