The Music Man, "Rick Rubin"

Author
MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
2007/09/02 21:12:08 (permalink)

The Music Man, "Rick Rubin"

There is a very good article over at the New York Times Magazine. The article is an interview with Rick Rubin who has been brought in to try and save Sony's record business. Some interesting quotes from the article include;

"Only 10 years ago, companies wanted to make records, presumably good records, and see if they sold. But panic has set in, and now it's no longer about making music, it's all about how to sell music. And there's no clear answer about how to fix that problem. But I still believe that the top priority at any record company has to be coming up with great music."

"The most important thing we have to do now is get the art right. So many of the decisions at these companies have not been about the music. They sign artists for the wrong reasons — because they think somebody else wants them or if they need to have a record out by a certain date. That old way of doing things is obsolete, but luckily, fear is making the record companies less arrogant. They're more open to ideas. So, what's important now is to find music that's timeless. I still believe that if an artist gains the belief of the listener, then anything is possible."

"The [Neil Diamond] CD debuted at No. 4," Rubin told me at Hugo's, still sounding upset. "It was the highest debut of Neil's career, off to a great start. But Columbia — it was some kind of corporate thing — had put spyware on the CD. That kept people from copying it, but it also somehow recorded information about whoever bought the record. The spyware became public knowledge, and people freaked out. There were some lawsuits filed, and the CD was recalled by Columbia. Literally pulled from stores. We came out on a Tuesday, by the following week the CD was not available. Columbia released it again in a month, but we never recovered. Neil was furious, and I vowed never to make another album with Columbia."

"Steve Jobs understood Napster better than the record business did," David Geffen told me. "IPods made it easy for people to share music, and Apple took a big percentage of the business that once belonged to the record companies. The subscription model is the only way to save the music business. If music is easily available at a price of five or six dollars a month, then nobody will steal it."

"Either all the record companies will get together or the industry will fall apart and someone like Microsoft will come in and buy one of the companies at wholesale and do what needs to be done," he said. "The future technology companies will either wait for the record companies to smarten up, or they'll let them sink until they can buy them for 10 cents on the dollar and own the whole thing."

This is a very unique view of the recording industry that you don't always hear about. There is a lot of talk about how the quality of the music must improve. It is a long article, but well worth the time to read it.

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM

10 Replies Related Threads

APC3
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1228
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/09/02 21:23:05 (permalink)
    Great article, and a nice post to boot, thanks for sharing. It's really too bad that, IMO, the corporate employees will never truly understand the music should be first, also to bad there aren't more Rick Rubins out there nowadays.
    markus
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/11/07 11:18:19 (permalink)
    agreed!

markus
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/11/07 13:47:17 (permalink)
    Well, it's easy to say these things. But if you really think about what he was saying, it's not so obvious. I mean, the lesson of Steve Jobs is, quit making music, make hardware that makes it easier for people to steal music and get a free ride off the people who are making music until the industry tanks. It's got nothing to do with keeping the music business alive. And just making better music isn't the answer either. There's plenty of good music out there, but the better it is, the more people will steal it, because so many of them don't even consider paying or music anymore.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/11/07 14:43:10 (permalink)
    I agree with Dean - there's lot's of good music out there already. Making more of it isn't going to change anything. Record companies are their own worst enemy I think. Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if we really even need record companies any more.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    tjw194
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/11/07 15:17:26 (permalink)
    good read thanks.

i don't know if you guys got a chance to read the whole article or not but the bulk of it is about not just finding the right artist to sign but also about changing the entire business model of the record industry. specifically, using a subscription-based model. i don't think he's saying that if you find great talent it's going to magically make people stop stealing music and plop down 15 bucks for an album.
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/11/07 20:37:31 (permalink)
    This is kind of the direction I've been thinking about myself. I originally was thinking about getting CD's pressed, and I still might do a small amount to have around to send for promos, etc., and maybe sell from my website. I think mainly, I'm going to concentrate on operating digitally, on a freelance basis. Selling via SNOWCAP, TUNECORE/iTunes, W7, etc. There are also companies which help collect royalties (besides BMI & ASCAP) from internet and radio airplay, such as Sound Exchange and Alliance of Artists and Recording Companies (AARC). The biggest problem is promotion and marketing. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I'd just as soon forego signing with a record label and try to do it all on my own. It's becoming more feasible these days to do this, and also for lack of funding, it's a lot cheaper too.

There is an interesting article in September's Sound on Sound magazine "Start your Own Record Label", that deals with all different aspects of starting a label, but also with digital publication.

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/11/07 20:49:00 (permalink)
    A lot of folks seem to be using CDBaby as a distribution mechanism, to put out CDs in small numbers without any muss and fuss on your part.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/11/07 21:31:09 (permalink)
    A buddy of mine just started selling CDs through CDBaby. It's too soon to know if it'll be profitable for him, but the process couldn't possibly be any easier. They do everything for you, and don't charge much for the service. For example, if you don't already have barcodes on your product, they'll do that for you, for like 25 bucks or so. It sure looks like a winning model.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I just can't bring myself to pay for an MP3.

I like that you can buy single songs, that's a plus. But if I'm going to shell out cash for it, I want all the bits!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/11/08 07:01:37 (permalink)

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I just can't bring myself to pay for an MP3.

I like that you can buy single songs, that's a plus. But if I'm going to shell out cash for it, I want all the bits!

I actually like it better to have the option of getting 1 track at a time. There have been many times in the past when I shelled out 12-15 for a CD because I'd heard a song or two and the rest of the album SUCKED!!! At least this way, you can have the best of both worlds.

Also, it appeals to the millions that have portable devices like iPods, etc. Those things are where I feel (IMHO) where the industry is headed. It's just too damn convenient. Folks can make their own playlists (of EXACTLY what they want) and plug the Pods into home stereos, car stereos, work stereos, headphones etc. When we sell these MP3's online, it makes us available to this rapidly growing new market. I was a big aficionado of "mix tapes" back in the day, so I can relate.

plectrumpusher
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: The Music Man, "Rick Rubin" 2007/11/10 00:48:54 (permalink)
    It is very conveinient to have literally 1 weeks worth of music on an I-pod.... Which is sort of a 2 edged sword because someone can load it up with classics that they know and then never get exposed to anything new ever again!! I have friends who have this set up in there cars and don't do the radio ever.
    Only people who specifically seek out new music ( which can be difficult because there is so much more wheat to seperate from the chaff now) will be buying now , no more " I just heard it by accident and had to have it" type of events.
    post edited by plectrumpusher - 2007/11/10 01:00:13
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1