The REAL B*tch List

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ZuN
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 622
RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 16:55:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jesse Jost [Cakewalk]

ORIGINAL: René
Well...actually...
The truth is that I've heard there will be P5II T-Shirts for the top forum participants.

René, da me un de estos por favor...

Amigo, cuando quieras!

No hoda, yo quiero uno tambien, pero no creo que tengo sufficiente "posts"
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 17:04:25 (permalink)
Thanks for bringing this one back around, David. I suppose that it was inevitable that a thread entitled "The Real B*tch List" was bound to attract a strong t-shirt coalition presence, (including myself). A P5 t-shirt is at the top of my real Real B*tch List.

I seemed to have glossed over the Dimension synth in my original post, but that's because I'm trying not to think about it too much. I want to go in with a child-like spirit of discovery, without any pre-conceived notions. I will admit that I'm fascinated with how all 3 of the component parts in this synth are going to interact, and to what extent I can influence one type of synthesis from the another.

I know that this thing is about to take over my existence for an extended period of time. I look forward to that, yet there's a feeling of anxiety, because nothing else will get done. I can only compare it to an impending arranged marriage to a beautiful, yet basically 'evil' temptress. You submit willingly, being infatuated with the astounding beauty, but part of you knows deep down that you're also surrendering your freedom [and later: your house; new car; bank account; credit rating ...]

I also neglected to mention the Roland synth, which I hope is useful, as well. I have this bad habit of avoiding the GM-type synths, because of a perceived notion of non-programmability. Sometimes I discover that they're not all that bad for certain situations, but I don't find that out until a year later. <g>

PSYN II? Well. I never was one to go much for integrated effects. Too much overuse obliterates the original sound with (usually) less control that with external effects. That's coming around for me, though, as long as I watch the CPU, and shoot for the subtle approach. Too many synths use the FX section in their presets and demos to disguise design and audio compromises and flaws. I found z3ta+s approach to be refreshing: Lots of FX on presets, but the ability to defeat the FX section with a single right-click that persists through program changes. That's saying, " Here it is. The sound for real. It's top-notch; got a problem with it?"

That said, I'm looking forward to revisiting an old friend in PSYN. And, remember, this is Rene. I'll be looking for some subtle enhancements to the original design, even if they're somewhat hidden. Any Easter Eggs, Rene?
MurderDethKill
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1904
RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 17:06:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ZuN

ORIGINAL: Jesse Jost [Cakewalk]

Well...actually...
The truth is that I've heard there will be P5II T-Shirts for the top forum participants.

René, da me un de estos por favor...

Amigo, cuando quieras!

No hoda, yo quiero uno tambien, pero no creo que tengo sufficiente "posts"

Speak for yourself...I've got lotsa "posts"

Where's my T-Shirt???

My site i guess;)
Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
ZuN
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 622
RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 17:17:10 (permalink)
hahaha
zipdigital
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 17:52:30 (permalink)
I found z3ta+s approach to be refreshing: Lots of FX on presets, but the ability to defeat the FX section with a single right-click that persists through program changes.

I wish I had taken that Z3ta+ promotion. Currently that price is a little out of my range. I'm wondering how the Z3ta+ will compare to the dimension...or if they will be two totally different beasts.

-Sol

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." Robert X. Cringely
René
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 17:59:31 (permalink)
Last weekend I've been playing with both a lot. I would say they're the -perfect- complement to each other, and the two best synthesizers on earth. Fortunately I'm free to say that as you all know there's no reason why I'd be biased.

Ok. They might not be the best two, but they're the perfect complement to each other for sure.

-René
mike85021
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1532
RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 18:04:46 (permalink)

Last weekend I've been playing with both a lot. I would say they're the -perfect- complement to each other, and the two best synthesizers on earth. Fortunately I'm free to say that as you all know there's no reason why I'd be biased.

Ok. They might not be the best two, but they're the perfect complement to each other for sure.

-René

Go ahead -- call them the best! On these you don't have to be modest. Z3ta+ is most used by me, fer shur.

EDIT: And why some people just have to stay away...
post edited by mike85021 - 2005/04/19 18:20:20

Mikey T
Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    b rock
    RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 18:10:47 (permalink)
    call them the best! On these you don't have to be modest. Most used by me, fer shur.
    Clearly a daring violation of the NDA Agreement.
    But I promise that I won't tell anyone ...
    post edited by b rock - 2005/04/19 18:12:42
    zipdigital
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 18:10:53 (permalink)

Thanks Rene! I'm sure you'd know better than anyone, and the, uhh... unbiased opinion is appreciated, hehe.

I'll keep an eye open for the next promotion.

-Sol

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." Robert X. Cringely
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 18:25:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

call them the best! On these you don't have to be modest. Z3ta+ used by me, fer shur.
    Clearly a daring violation of the Homeland Security Act.
    But I promise that I won't tell anyone ...

No fair quoting stuff before it gets edited! Simply a misstatement! A guy can dream, can't he? I've just been examining the screen shots too much.

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 19:04:59 (permalink)
    You know, I forgot to mention the audio features. I really didn't care either way about their inclusion at first, as I've been utilizing the multiple-app approach for this since the beginning. But now I'm starting to realize that the key to this addition is in having the ability to manipulate audio files using the bleeding-edge features from v.2 that are unique to this one application. My head is now spinning with the possiblities.

The new audio capability will let me bring in my Jv1010 direct into P5. If I wanted to work with it before I had to use Sonar... This will be a fun change and I can use the new appregiator with it and other synths as well.
    I just got a good deal on M-Audio's new 88 Pr controller. It has over 55 nobs and sliders etc to incorporate into the new work flow. Have you ever worked with Midi zones, 4 zones total and each zone has a different midit address. It seems confusing now? I hope I can figure it out.
    I can hardly wait to try out the new version.
    After watching the P5 video I went to the site and watched other videos as well. There is Rolands V synth. It is very cool bout you could do most of the stuff with vsti synths in P5 which is impressive. The V synth also has one of the best vocoders I have ever seen. There is a new sound generator called JX2020 from Roland. Well nothing compares price wise to the new version of P5 coming out... I stand amazed waiting...
    Your right on what you said about the quality of people we have from Cakewalk monitoring this forum... It is great to have them notice this forum...
    b rock
    RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 19:23:50 (permalink)
    I just got a good deal on M-Audio's new 88 Pr controller. It has over 55 nobs and sliders etc to incorporate into the new work flow. Have you ever worked with Midi zones, 4 zones total and each zone has a different midit address. It seems confusing now? I hope I can figure it out.
    Bob, the Novations have a similar zone structure available for use with their newest drivers, except with the additional of a global zone, and per-patch zone assignments.

Think of it like 4 separate synth controllers: each with their own MIDI channel assignment, and specific range of notes. Like (for example) the Claw covering two octaves for a bass, and String Theory and a DS864 string program sharing the middle 4 octaves. The ST has the bottom 3 of 4; the DS the top two of four, with the second-highest of the octaves involved sharing both synths in a zone overlap. Perhaps the top-most zone can add percussive hits, or one-shot mapped samples. You can do similar tricks in Syn:Ops, but it's nice to have that at the ready in your controller templates.

Let us know how you find the Pro-88 to be: reliability; road-worthiness (or construction details); MIDI implementation; etc. It comes up quite often here.
    grandpa mojo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: The REAL B*tch List 2005/04/19 20:16:43 (permalink)
    Well...actually...
    -René

So new to the forums... and yet so adept at sensing our weaknesses... Hmmm... Have to watch this one...

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com
    Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1