Helpful ReplyThe Scared Sounds Scale

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
2017/03/08 19:33:13 (permalink)

The Scared Sounds Scale

A fellow coworker (who knows music is my passion) suggested I do something in regards to sound vibrations from 432 - 528Hz for it's "healing" frequencies (for all kinds of patients in need). Of course, I had no idea what he was talking about and briefly Googled it..........which led me to Solfeggio Frequencies and then The Sacred Sounds Scale.

From the little I've read, it seems to be a myth......and of course a lot it (technical stuff), just flew over my cuckoos nest.

What say ye, truth or myth?

http://whatmusicreallyis.com/papers/sacred_sounds_scale.html 

https://roelhollander.eu/en/tuning-frequency/Ancient-Solfeggio-Frequencies/

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/08 19:39:15 (permalink)
I have no doubt certain arrangements of tonal frequencies can have calming (and other) effects on human physiology. Whether these folks have cracked some code to find some particularly helpful combo IDK.

What I DO know is if I am completely flipping the hell out and need to calm myself I can put on a professionally performed recording of the Bach Cello Suites and the murderous rage subsides.

Then of course there is the infamous "Brown Note"... but let's not go there.
Mesh
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/08 19:44:45 (permalink)
This was the link he forwarded to me (which triggered the rest): http://www.magnificentu.com/vibrational-medicine-energy-healing/

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Beepster
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/08 19:46:09 (permalink)
Also perhaps relevant... when I was a young street kid one of my buddies brought me up to the Krishna temple for their weekly vegetarian feast (open to the public... awesome food). We hung out for the ceremony after which was just a whole bunch of people in a large gymnasium type room and the temple doods started doing their chants and whatnot accompanied by these little hand held brass bell things. Those bells and the way they rung them (which was VERY precise and obviously took tons of practice) were extremely soothing and calming.

Of course I wasn't about to shave my head and start wearing a bed sheet and was mostly there for the food and a new experience but as a musician those bells and their effects were very fascinating to me.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/09 13:57:58 (permalink)
Beepster

Then of course there is the infamous "Brown Note"... but let's not go there.

Cue eph.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/09 13:58:05 (permalink)
Or Pedro.

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/10 05:53:53 (permalink)
Actually, cue me.  I've known about and have MANY MANY notes and mp3's regarding the Solfeggio Frequencies, the Sacred Sounds Scale, etc. (mostly because of all the self-improvement stuff I've done for over 40 years and, of course, it was talked about during my PhD work).  As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out.  Above and beyond what you've read, there are also notes for each major organ of the body as well (see Hindu chakras for example).  I've seen some interesting things, but won't definitively say that there's much beyond the placebo effect going on... (More testing is needed!)

The Brown Note however, I do know something about.  The guy who used to run the Whole Brain Learning Institute down in Southern California (he passed away about 20 years ago) had a huge sound studio where he created all of his brain/mind tapes.  I got to see it when I took a class there to get a certificate in accelerated learning.  Anyway, he had a bunch of scientists who were skeptics over so he brought them into the studio, plugged his ears, and played the Brown Note at a very high power level (it's a pretty low note).  All but one confirmed what can happen (the one had JUST gone to the bathroom before entering the studio).  No, they were NOT amused!  

All of that said, the following is AWESOME and (as it says) tuned to A = 432 Hz.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/10 08:13:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2017/03/10 13:39:59
1. Pick a frequency, any frequency at random.

2. Go looking for "natural" occurrences of said frequency, or multiples of it or something. Make sure you give yourself some margin for error.

3. You will inevitably find some!

4. Congratulations! The frequency you selected in #1 is a sacred and magical "universal frequency"! 

5. You couldn't have really selected it at random - your brain must have been tuned into this universal magic frequency and that's how you knew to pick that particular frequency! Wow!!!!

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
craigb
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/10 18:33:23 (permalink)
Drew's a woo woo expert!  Who knew???  

Beepster
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/10 18:58:19 (permalink)
drewfx1
1. Pick a frequency, any frequency at random.

2. Go looking for "natural" occurrences of said frequency, or multiples of it or something. Make sure you give yourself some margin for error.

3. You will inevitably find some!

4. Congratulations! The frequency you selected in #1 is a sacred and magical "universal frequency"! 

5. You couldn't have really selected it at random - your brain must have been tuned into this universal magic frequency and that's how you knew to pick that particular frequency! Wow!!!!

lol... yup.

Semi OT... I just mentione this to Baps the other day but don't think I've stated it elsewhere. The old live of the floor recording of my old band (which I have been wrangling with/whining about foooorever it seems) is in an oddball tuning. Since I want to/am overdubbing all the bass and guits this posed a bit of a problem (amongst many) at first being a "beginner".

The band was SUPPOSED to always be downtuned a half step (so G# "440" instead of A 440). However I always just tuned to the bassist who didn't have a tuner (but I did) and because until things started sounding totally wonked and his bass kept it's tuning rather well we'd let it drift. Really we only ever tuned him up every six months or so.

I had THOUGHT we had tuned him (and us geeter playas) to G# 440 for the session but I guess amidst the setup chaos (it was recorded in our bandspace at the time which was being slooowly built into a full fledged studio, which the owner never finished, so we brought in our engineer with his DAW/gear and set it up in the existing room) we neglected to do that. It was just supposed to be a pre production demo anyway and we thought we'd be recording properly within the next year.

When I loaded the files up years later to see if I could salvage the drum and vox tracks I figured out it was actually in G# "445" (so A 445 downtuned a semitone). Of course I didn't/don't want to do any pitch correction (on top of the extensive timing correction) so I'm leaving it as is in that regard and using Guitar Rig 5's fine tuner knob to acheive that "445" based freqs to match the vox (and the bleed in the drum tracks).

At first, being the anal spazz I tend to be about this type of stuff I was piiiiiissssed but now I'm thinking the variation might be psychologically beneficial. As in it might stand out just that little bit more when one of tunes is tossed into a playlist of other songs where the musicians actually tuned up like normal humans. Like it's even oddball for concert pitch (335).

Since it's crustpunk that I'm trying to give slick production values to that little oddity might add that "out of tune" feeling without anything actually being out of relative tuning.

Of course I could be over estimating the power of such subtleties (and maybe there ARE already a lot of tunes intentionally skewed this way) but it's interesting to contemplate and it makes me feel a little less stoopid for not doing my job at the time and making sure everyone was tuned properly. The extra string tension while still being tuned a little lower is nice too and 445 is a nice sounding number to satiate my OCD side. Like if it were 443 or 447 I might pop (more of) an aneurism over it... just because... yanno.... spazz.

/CSB

craigb
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/10 20:56:46 (permalink)
Having been a DJ from 80 thru 83, I can tell you that the same song has probably been played at all sorts of different pitches over the vinyl years since we used to fiddle with the turn table speeds a lot for a variety of reasons: An actual mix (speed one song up or another down a bit), to fit a song in before a required break, to make the transition between two dissimilar songs less, or just because someone forgot to reset the speed to exactly 45rpm or 33rpm depending.

I realized this pain whenever I was trying to learn songs off the radio by ear too...

Beepster
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/10 21:16:17 (permalink)
Although it was not really my bag at the time (as a white guy thrasho metalhead) I have always marveled at the old school turntable pioneer kids. Like Sugarhill Gang and whatnot.

At first glance to an outside observer it was easy to dismiss as "Oh, that guy's just playing records of other people's stuff. Lame!" but for me, as I was learning music myself, I started realizing how crazy that actually was and still don't fully get it.

I mean you usually would only have TWO turntables ("and a microphone" fwah fwah) so you can only have two stereo samples going MAYBE over top of a drum machine (if you were lucky). Being able to tempo match/pitch match/drop the needle EXACTLY where it needed to be/add flourishes like drag and scratching/etc with just that old analog gear...

that is PSYCHO shiz.

Of course I guess once vinyl pressing companies caught on and started making custom discs for that type of DJing and of course now in the digital age where it can all be prepped before hand at home and triggered with a poke at a button it's... well still occasionally impressive in some cases but those OG spinners man...

Just seems like a lot more talent and effort than those cats were given credit for and I kind of want to learn exactly how it all worked... someday... once I figure out how to work the crap I'm already wrestling with. lulz

/blather
Beepster
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/10 21:22:32 (permalink)
Oh and when I'm trying to learn covers and find the tuning of whatever copy I have on hand isn't in a "proper" tuning (or if I have been ask to transpose it to another key) all these fancy digimitalizing tools are awesome. In SONAR I've just been using the DSP "Process > Transpose" on the raw stereo files and bingo bango... I got my new key/tuning.

For timing I just split and stretch the bastard measure by measure to force it onto the grid/tempo map.

Cripes... we've come so far. I got into this stuff at EXACTLY the right time methinks (even though it means I'm a bit of derp as far as background history/techniques but I'm catching up).

/okay serious...
//blather... right...
///NOW

craigb
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/11 01:48:03 (permalink)
By the way, I was a DJ from 1980 thru 1983 (before everyone though they were a DJ).  If the manager caught any of us doing the crap they did to records in clubs, we were fired.  You have one song playing on one turntable, then you monitor the next song on the second turntable, find a good beat then (with your finger on the record) carefully move the record forwards and backwards over that beat until you get the timing right.  Then you let it spin and, at the right time, slowly fade one out as you fade the other one in.  Whenever you had a significant change in beat, you did those whenever you had to speak so no one really noticed the change.

Sure, you could do some sample teases of what was coming up, but any scratching or extreme sampling was a sure way out the door.

Mesh
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 15:06:36 (permalink)
Just curious, what are some of the common soft synths that easily support retuning (i.e. A432)?

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Beepster
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 15:44:47 (permalink)
Mesh
Just curious, what are some of the common soft synths that easily support retuning (i.e. A432)?

Pretty sure Dim Pro has fine tuning.
Mesh
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 15:58:22 (permalink)
Beepster
Mesh

Pretty sure Dim Pro has fine tuning.

Cool beans...thanks Beeps.
I haven't used Dim Pro in years......might be a good time to mess around with it.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Beepster
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 16:23:22 (permalink)
I think it is set in the sample area (and maybe has to be done for each "dimension" sample in the patch?).

I watched the videos for all the Cake synths/instruments (the SWA Karl Rose one) a while back but have mostly been guiting it up since. I may be thinking of Rapture or Zeta... but I think those might have fine tuning as well (seems like Zeta definitely would).

So basically... I don't know what the fruck I'm talking about aside from that at least one of the included higher end synths has fine tuning and likely more.

Haven't checked out Rapture Session yet so that might be worth looking at as well.
Beepster
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 16:42:57 (permalink)
Wasn't there a thread a while back about setting up a Cake synth to be able to produce Indian style quarter tone scales? I only skimmed it but if anyone remembers that or has it bookmarked that seemed like it had a lot of good info for this type of thing. And I think I'm remembering a lot of folks bringing up Dim Pro for this type of stuff.
craigb
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 16:43:11 (permalink)
I think Yoko Ono uses the Scared Sounds Scale (after rereading the actual thread title). 

Beepster
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 16:51:42 (permalink)
craigb
I think Yoko Ono uses the Scared Sounds Scale (after rereading the actual thread title). 

No. That's the sound eardrums make while being subjected to Yoko.

Kind of like a faint little scream.
drewfx1
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 17:26:41 (permalink)
Mesh

Um. Any juan with a tuning knob? 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Mesh
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 17:28:34 (permalink)
drewfx1
Mesh

Um. Any juan with a tuning knob? 

As you can see.....I've never looked into or noticed that  

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
drewfx1
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 17:34:08 (permalink)
That's the obvious answer if you just want to change the overall tuning.

It's trickier with much more varied support if you want to use non-equal temperament tunings (i.e specific mathematically pure intervals).

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 17:36:17 (permalink)
MeshThe Scared Sounds Scale

why would you want sounds that are scary?

i argue Em9 is pretty scary

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 17:37:28 (permalink)
there used to be a guy who would write big long forum posts about healing frequencies.  claimed he and his wife were Ministers of some kind and that he could (for a fee, of course) heal you of any ailment you have with his music.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
batsbrew
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 17:37:33 (permalink)
maybe some overlapping dominant seventh arpeggios

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 17:39:49 (permalink)
The name diabolus in musica ("the Devil in music") has been applied to the interval from at least the early 18th century, though its use is not restricted to the tritone. Andreas Werckmeister cites this term in 1702 as being used by "the old authorities" for both the tritone and for the clash between chromatically related tones such as F♮ and F♯, and five years later likewise calls "diabolus in musica" the opposition of "square" and "round" B (B♮ and B♭, respectively) because these notes represent the juxtaposition of "mi contra fa". Johann Joseph Fux cites the phrase in his seminal 1725 work Gradus ad ParnassumGeorg Philipp Telemann in 1733 describes, "mi against fa", which the ancients called "Satan in music"—and Johann Mattheson, in 1739, writes that the "older singers with solmization called this pleasant interval 'mi contra fa' or 'the devil in music'."Although the latter two of these authors cite the association with the devil as from the past, there are no known citations of this term from the Middle Ages, as is commonly asserted.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

batsbrew
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 17:40:09 (permalink)

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

drewfx1
Re: The Scared Sounds Scale 2017/03/14 17:51:33 (permalink)
Actually Wendy Carlos did an album explicitly exploring "scary" music:

http://www.wendycarlos.com/+thh.html

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1