Helpful ReplyThe "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
2017/11/17 18:50:45 (permalink)

The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread

Please keep topic to Backing tracks for traditional Rock, country, Jazz and Folk. Not live VST, that's a different topic. 

Every once in a while someone asks this question and I know there are many of us here who play live using backing tracks. 
I thought a thread to share ideas and what works and what doesn't work might be a good resource for people kicking the tires. 

As far as creating backing tracks goes Sonar for me is king of the hill. It's a great midi sequencer and it's included VST's are all you need to create a pretty good sounding backing band. As someone who started with a Roland 505 for drums and a Korg Poly 800 playing Bass ( very badly)  what we now have is amazing to me. Not only can you use midi but we can also mix in real instruments as part of the band. 

Originally we used midi sequences to drive outboard hardware synths. VST's were a long way down the road. Those sound modules that were on par and often worse than MS Wavetable sounds cost $$$. I lugged an Atari 1040 ST to 100's of gigs along with a rack of sound modules and effect units all weighing over 100lbs.  For me that's all been replaced by a little Asus netbook that weighs about 4lbs. 

So first there are many approaches to using backing tracks. Most importantly is what instruments do you require? 
For most of my gigs I've used a pretty sparse backing of just Drums and Bass. Very few of my old tracks included piano, organ or keyboard parts. The reason was disk space if you can believe that. I now include keyboards in every song to provide 'glue". 
I don''t believe in overdoing it or we can be walking a fine line between a musician performing and a Karaoke singer. 

Many top 40 bands have relied on sequencers to fill in the holes when they didn't have a Keyboard, Bass or drummer. 

Those are the 3 instruments midi does best and if you, like me have those 3 instruments playing following the backing track is straight forward. Please don't even attempt to use midi for guitar parts or I will personally come and unplug your PA :)   
For Bass. Keyboard and drums backing tracks all you need is a stereo or even mono mix. Therefore any playback device will work. 

Where it becomes tricky is when you have a real bass player or drummer. Then you cannot just use a stereo track. Bass and drums are what keep time so now you need to follow a click track or? Will get into that latter as the thread progresses. 

So making the tracks is easy with Sonar but now lets chew on how to work with this live on stage. 
I'll give you my system which I've used since 2004. 
I play stereo wave files using Win Amp. 
I choose Win Amp because it does a few things no other player seem to do. The most important for me is you can set it to Manual Playlist advance. You can drag the songs around on the set list on the fly. It will re open with your set list intact even if you forgot to save it. You can change the font size. You can re arrange the GUI to fit your screen. And I also control it  with a USB foot switch. 
Because it's dead simple to make a mix of 3 instruments I've rarely had balance issues with my tracks. I proof them through the PA and have a few tricks I use to keep everything the same song to song. At this point I see no advantage to having say 3 tracks output. I am going to give Sonars Playlist a try someday but the only reason is so I will have MIDI to control my effects. 

Well that's enough for now.

Please add your set up and ideas and yes for sure ask questions. 

Things to ponder
Is it better to use pure midi or pure audio, which is more stable? 
Why do you need multi track output and how do you set this up?
What do you use for lyrics?
Other than Sonar what do you find works the best for live playback? 

post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/11/17 20:12:09

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Thedoccal
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance" Thread 2017/11/17 19:20:05 (permalink)
If I were to do this, I would make stems (audio stems) out of the individual tracks.  Group all similar instruments together into 4-8 separate audio files.
I would probably then make two version of these stems:
1. Separate the long audio stems into sections (verse 1, 2, chorus 1, 2, bridge, etc) and put into the Matrix View
2. Left as an entire song in the Track View.

Next would be figuring out how to make a song play list.  Never done that yet.

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance" Thread 2017/11/17 19:57:30 (permalink)
I'll be interested to see how this progresses as well. I have been pouring over Youtube to see what others have done or are doing. Lots of folks are downloading a 4.99 app and using their iPad or iPhone to play the tracks. 

One guy who does a lot of one man band gigs is ripping karaoke files with a Youtube downloader, importing them into windows media player and adding the words into it so he has a scrolling teleprompter when he sings.

I have a drummer who will need a click to play backing tracks. No matter what you use to play the tracks the general technique seems to be this: Take a 1/8" stereo male from playback device to 2 x 1/4" male mono plugs > into dual D-box>send the audio side out to the house> using a d-box with through jacks, attach short 1/4" cables from the through jacks on both sides to a small mixer. That mixer serves the drummer with L/R panned. Alternately you could send both the click and the audio out to the house who could then send it back to individual listeners separate. 

Being a keys player/guitar player I've toyed with all kinds of ideas. The accompaniment keyboards, even the better ones can sound cheesy. I have successfully used loopers but everything has to be right. Not like playing to a track. I have used laptops as synths on stage. All of that has  risk factors built in that can go wrong if you don't remember everything and do it right  every time. 

Showing up and finding out they relocated everything since the last time you were there and you only have 10 minutes to set up doesn't make that any better.

If something can go wrong it will go wrong and usually at the worst times. Still lotsa folks successfully doing it. Tech is great when it works, but if you don't have a backup plan things can go downhill fast.

Concerning using Sonar. I lean toward mixing tracks down on it and exporting to something I can load into a simpler program/device. That's how I'm thinking right now, but it could change tomorrow. 

Most big acts using lappys as backup and Ableton or otherwise have two or more systems identical both running at the same time. If one dies mid show, they simply mix the other one in.
post edited by Starise - 2017/11/18 00:20:35

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance" Thread 2017/11/17 20:39:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/11/20 15:04:52
I do the scrolling teleprompter thing. With a couple cheap subscriptions it's way easier to have the words than creating screens from scratch with lyrics. Honestly I benefit greatly from having scrolling lyrics.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Cactus Music
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance" Thread 2017/11/17 20:46:22 (permalink)
I'll interject that there is 2 way people might work. 

1-Backing tracks that follow a set in stone arrangement. ( what I've always have used) 
2- Live music playback that can be manipulated on the fly - that's complicated and not really something Sonar would be good at, other software is recommended so lets stick to #1 if at all possible.  
We can still talk about multi track VS stereo playback, that's cool. 

Starise I'm glad you found this here, I was going to post a link on the other thread. 

1-One guy who does a lot of one man band gigs is ripping karaoke files with a Youtube downloader, importing them into windows media player and adding the words into it so he has a scrolling teleprompter when he sings.

Like I said, we have to maintain our reputation as REAL musicians and that guy might as well leave his guitar at home.  My show has been kept simple because at a certain point you are no longer the source of the music and just a singer / a Karaoke singer. I've been subject to other solo acts while out an about and the best quality ones were when that person was a great singer and guitar player and they carried the show. And it always involve hi quality backing tracks. Some I could tell were downloaded midi and some I've heard were real audio recordings obviously paid for and not home made. But the person spent the time to get a good sound. Many don't and therefore the bad reputation of solo acts. 

It seems very few solo performers actually roll there own like me.
 I certainly do take a shortcut these days and if I find a free midi track with good drums I will use it as a starting point. But most of my tracks I have made myself starting in 1984. I have at least 300 midi files I made myself so I'm a bit unique in that way. For me it's personal pride "Yes, I'm a one man band and yes I (mostly) play all the instruments". I keep to max 4 instruments for this reason. Drums, Bass, Piano and Organ. Oh I have one song with a horn part..Ring of Fire. 

2. Concerning using Sonar. I lean toward mixing tracks down on it and exporting to something I can load into a simpler program/device. That's how I'm thinking right now, but it could change tomorrow. 

Yes smart man. And as you said, complicated set ups are going to fail you at a bad time. I bring 2 fully loaded laptops, My Netbook is my main playback and my old Sony is a backup, background music and for lyrics. 
Personally I don't understand why one would need to bother mixing a multi tracks at the gig? First it would hog a lot of channel strips, second I'd rather do the mixing ahead of time and get it right. And third, as I said, how hard is it to make a good mix of Bass, Piano and drums?  One less thing to go wrong I say. 

Hooking things up: 
Well I use both the mini jack and a  $30 Behringer USB interface and there's no difference I can hear at all. 
Playing a stereo wave file is something just about anything can do but I do like using the more solid cables with the Behringer. I also bought a Radial Two Trim for when I do shows via a FOH with a snake. Ultimately we would use a proper audio interface if we go with Multi track for obvious reasons. 

May I ask what part of your band do you need to have pre recorded? The Keyboard so you can play guitar? 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/18 02:09:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigr68 2017/11/21 01:26:06
Cactus Music
I play stereo wave files using Win Amp. 

I stumbled upon this program recently: https://soundplant.org/about.htm

It looks like it would be very useful for using live tracks.  It is simpler than Ableton Live, but has a lot of capability.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/18 08:16:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cparmerlee 2017/11/20 01:31:28
My performance system has been Cakewalk based since cakelive for DOS, but has certainly evolved. I currently run 24+ track backing. Each track has its own channel return via USB to an X32 digital mixer, so mixes are fully flexible both individually (semi permanent changes within sonar project) and globally (eg changes to 'kick' channel on desk at a particular venue). I also run midi tracks for light and production control using an Entecc DMXIS lighting controller (via loop be midi), as well as patch changes on various outboard gear. All of this is played back via a Cakewalk playlist, and controlled using an X-Tempo POK foot controller using Bome Midi Translator.

The system is rock solid, as is the Cakewalk playlist once you get your head around its quirks:)  The only caveat I would add is that whilst I use many active VST effects, I always bounce VST synths to audio and archive the synth tracks before performance. I can always unarchive them should fundamental changes be required.

There really isn't any another sync enabled DAW software that allows you to load a setlist on the fly (loading whilst a project is playing) utilising entire native projects containing both midi and audio. A really undersold feature I believe.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Sixfinger
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/18 08:43:20 (permalink)
I do use Sonar, I have a lite version installed on an older windows xp lappy.  I like having the markers in the project, Verse Chorus Solo 1 Solo 2 etc, in case my mind wanders off the path. I create a project for each song with a stereo mix, If I needed a click I would put that on a separate track and probably make the mix mono for simplicity

For a playlist I just make an html file, A list of links to my song projects all in a single folder. It's like a song list page in 3 columns, I can see over a hundred songs at once in a readable font.  Double click a song on the list, it loads fast with a singe wav file.  Now I can quickly do the songs in any order.

Sonar Platinum , ADK Computer -Intel - Penryn Quad Core Q9400 Processor, Windows 7 Home premium 64, RME Fireface UFX, Grace 101 Pre's, A-800 Pro, assorted mics, Strats ,Les Pauls, Mesa Boogies
http://lionfeather.com
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/18 09:59:20 (permalink)
I have a trio which plays in pubs and I make all the backing tracks in Sonar Platinum, including sometimes guitar lead parts so I can duet live with myself, e.g. on "I Saw The Light" and "Hotel California".  I master them in Ozone so they are nice and punchy, mix them down to stereo WAV then import them to iTunes, changing to AAC. I load them to an iPod and set them to individual play, i.e. not continuous, so I select and load them as required, the iPod mounted on my mic stand. They play through the PA along with the three live vocals. (Sometimes we pre-record vocal parts to add extra layers and/or harmonies to go with the live vocals).  It works pretty good and sounds are high quality.  Gear logistics is a lot easier than when I played in a full band, we have a small footprint and less members equals less strife!

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
Cactus Music
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/18 22:30:41 (permalink)
Tenfoot:
Thanks, I think I've read a few posts of yours about your successful use of the Playlist. I can see why you use multi track output as you must be running to a FOH system with a sound person. That's good information as I keep forgetting how a re mix might be required as you move from room to room. But, I guess I have a problem thinking of any Rock and Roll or Country for that matter that would use more than a few tracks? I guess R&B with a 10 piece horn section :) So You have my curiosity,, what are those 24 tracks? I can see maybe 5 or 7 for drums. A Piano, and organ, after that I'm only pondering. Is this electronic music? 

Sixfinger:
Interesting. Yes any old version of Sonar should do it. That's why I bought Home Studio. My Netbook also runs XP,  

But I'm wondering, if your only using stereo tracks why would you use Sonar? I see you have a system to make a playlist, but a simple music player would do the same without having to make that weird list you have. 
I'm pretty sure all music players can drag and drop and move song orders around on the fly. Win Amp is certainly dead simple this way. 
I can do 2 things.
Drop the whole folder containing my Wave files into Winamps playlist and then move them around. 
Or I can drag and drop each song to the playlist to put them in the order I want. Both take about the same time. 
I can save as many playlist as I want. Once I've made a playlist for a certain gig I always save it. When that gig comes up again I can look at what I played. 
I also like to skip songs and I might play them later, On my break I move the songs I skipped down the list so I'll see them. 
My main song folder contains around 80 songs which is 2x as many as I ever use. I have over 200 Backing tracks. So I also have a folder of extra songs so if some drunk punter asks for YMCA I can grab it in 10 seconds and drop it on the list. I can also grab the lyrics which are all in a desktop folder stored as TXT files that open in a tiny box. 

Skyline:
Sounds like your another stereo track person. I have an iPad and I was going to use it as a back up but I found iTunes hard to control. It certainly hated my home made songs and broke them into a bunch of albums and made a big mess. I guess one needs to learn how it works but it certainly is not user friendly. I use iTune all the time at work and purchase songs for our residents and load the iPods etc. But It just didn't seem to like me taking control. 
You should look into getting a TC Voice live, I just ordered the Voice Live Acoustic. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Don Mason
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/19 00:21:48 (permalink)
Back in the 70's, I played the nightclub/Holiday Inn circuit as a one-man band: Guitar, vocals, Roland Rhythm 77 drum machine, and a left-foot-powered Moog Taurus bass synth. It was five or six sets a night, five nights a week, so it tended to blow out my voice.

If I caught a cold and needed to rest my voice during a set, I used a Teac cassette deck with tapes prerecorded with the drum machine and vocal. No count-in, just a short vocal click, and then into the song. I'd play the guitar and bass pedals live.

It got me through a few nights. Particularly late at night when my voice was getting raw, and everyone else in the joint was too plastered to notice that I was lip-syncing.

The last time I played live was 15 years ago, and I only played out a couple of times. For backup, I used a CD I had burned. One stereo channel was for the backing tracks (drums, bass, keyboards, rhythm guitar, backup vocals) and was directed into the PA, and the other stereo channel was directed into my headphone, and was just the drums with a click count-in so that it was easier to keep time. The monitor mix to my headphone was the drum/click track, plus my live lead vocal, plus a little of my live guitar.

I'm thinking of playing live again, possibly with a neighborhood band of players who have only rudimentary musical skills, so I'll be following this thread for more up-to-date ideas (Teac cassette decks? CD's? Cuneiform clay tablets?). Time marches on.

Don Mason

Studiocat i7 4790, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD Program, 1 TB HD Samples, 2 TB HD Audio, HD 4600 video 
RME Ladyface (Pepto-Bismol pink version of Babyface - used and ugly, so it was cheap)
Win 10 x 64 bit, ProAudio 8, 9, Sonar 1.0...   long unmusical hiatus...   Sonar Professional, Sonar Platinum Lifetime 
BFD3, Native Instruments Komplete 10, Waves Gold Bundle 
Sixfinger
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/19 04:59:08 (permalink)
Mostly I use Sonar rather than Winamp or similar because I like the having the markers for sections, it's a safety net really in case I forget where I am If I wander for some reason.  But also If I have a track that's a bit hot or soft I can adjust it a bit and save it.  Sometimes maybe the Bottom end is wonky and a simple eq gets it close enough without having to re mix it.

The biggest reason of course is it's what I know and it works for me. Oh and my playlist is very readable for my aging eyes.

Sonar Platinum , ADK Computer -Intel - Penryn Quad Core Q9400 Processor, Windows 7 Home premium 64, RME Fireface UFX, Grace 101 Pre's, A-800 Pro, assorted mics, Strats ,Les Pauls, Mesa Boogies
http://lionfeather.com
tenfoot
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/19 06:16:57 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Tenfoot:
Thanks, I think I've read a few posts of yours about your successful use of the Playlist. I can see why you use multi track output as you must be running to a FOH system with a sound person. That's good information as I keep forgetting how a re mix might be required as you move from room to room. But, I guess I have a problem thinking of any Rock and Roll or Country for that matter that would use more than a few tracks? I guess R&B with a 10 piece horn section :) So You have my curiosity,, what are those 24 tracks? I can see maybe 5 or 7 for drums. A Piano, and organ, after that I'm only pondering. Is this electronic music? 

Haha - I guess you are right for basic rock and country arangements Cactus. My show for the last couple of years has been reinventions of quirks, classics and casualties from the 70's to the 10's. They tend to be big, ecclectic arrangements involving anything from symphonic scores to Japanese Taiko drums or dance loops and your ten piece horn section. Tons of fun to do though. I do use a FOH engineer at larger gigs, but also have everything down to channel mutes and delay and reverb times automated for smaller onstage mixes. Affordable yet extraordinarily capable digital mixers have really opened up what's possible.  Also a big fan of the Dave Rat breathy squeezy method of parallel compression for live gigs which is only possible with separate returns to the desk and a fistful of compression busses and DCA's. 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Cactus Music
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/19 18:13:42 (permalink)
Don:
Thanks I always enjoy hearing stories from the past. I remember folks using 4 track porta studios. Standard Cassette players were mostly avoided because they played back at different pitches. This performer came in to play at the Care Home were I work and he had this weird old Peavey Digital cassette Karaoke machine. He said he had done thousands of gigs with it. It sounded terrible! And he had to fuss about switching cassettes and changing keys etc. Then a lot of them would start in the middle. Oh Dear, good thing old folks don't notice or care.  But it's what he was comfortable with and I kept my mouth shut.  

CD's we soon found out skip when the dance floor gets hopping. I bought one of the first CD stand alone burners for $900, still have it. 

Myself I stayed with my Atari/midi set up until Sony mini disks came out. I transferred all 180+ of my songs in real time from my Korg 05/RW  to the Mini disk player, You could name the songs, Sound quality excellent, pitch perfect and a handy remote. But set lists required re recording or transferring in real time all the songs plus re entering names. Later Sony came out with transfer software and life was better. I still have all the mini disks and 4 players gathering dust.  

A laptop or tablet is certainly all that's needed. I've even seen people use cell phones but man that was painful seeing them squint at the screen and taking forever between songs. 
I'm all about fast turnaround between songs. I use a foot switch and try and top and tail my songs tight when I master them. 

Sixfinger:
The biggest reason of course is it's what I know and it works for me. Oh and my playlist is very readable for my aging eyes.

This I agree with 100%, If it works then why change, It's why I'm reluctant to start using the Playlist, my system has worked for me for a long time. All I'm after is the Midi patch changes for my Vocal and guitar effects. My alternative is to continue tap dancing on my pedals. 

Tenfoot:  Awesome! Sounds like a fun gig! I'm tempted to go the digital mixer route. I still have my old Yamaha 01V and there's a lot I could still do with Sonar and midi controlling it.. but it's old and I'm not sure it can be trusted to be dependable. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/19 20:57:03 (permalink)
I have got a gig right now mixing live a tribute show band and they are using backing tracks.  We have found a good solution.  Firstly we use the DAW at home to produce the backing tracks.  NOT on stage.  I feel you are asking for trouble there.  Reliability is the key live.  The tracks are reduced to a stereo wave file at 44.1K 16 bit files..  (or Mp3 if you like but the wave files do sound better through a big PA) You can premix a backing track rather well in fact if you are careful.

We use an app called ShowOne and it runs own an iPad live. Here is the app:

http://musicappblog.com/showone-review/

You can get it from the app store:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/showone-pro-backing-tracks/id983764757?mt=8

So the drummer in our case is running the app, but anyone can do it in the band.  It has been written by guys who have been using backing tracks for years and have never found the right app for this job. It works great! It is not expensive.

So tracks are easily imported then easily found and can be put into sets.  Sets can re arranged at the last minute too easily.  Tracks in a set still stop after each track and not play on.  In order for the click to be used with a stereo track you need a 4 channel output interface.  This one is small, cheap and does the job very well:

https://global.novationmusic.com/launch/audiohub-2x4#

(Any 4 channel out interface can be used of course but this one is small and very compact and sounds great. 

What is cool here is you buy the click add-on and the 4 channel add-on as well which is also cheap.  The click is generated by the app so it does not have to be in the backing track anywhere! (better if the backing track has been done to a click though) Pre count can be set. There is also another cue out or a guy saying 1,2,3,4 which can be set to count a bar before the click even comes in.  This is a great feature.  So you hear the guy saying 1,2,3,4 then the click does the precount and you are away.  The 4 channel interface allows the music and clicks and cues etc to be separate of course.  As the mixer I don't have any clicks or cues coming to me at all, that all goes to the drummer headphones. 

A high quality well mixed backing track can seamlessly be mixed in with the band.  It is very hard to tell what is live and what is not the backing etc.

This is more a bulletproof solution plus it is much less to carry around and can be set up in a minute. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Cactus Music
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 01:57:03 (permalink)
Thank you Jeff . I have an older iPad and I'll give it a go. 

I have posted my wish list in the past of my dream software. 

1- Plays 4 or more audio tracks -     Only plays 2 
2- Plays midi    - No 
3- Stops at end  - yes 
4- Drag and drop playlist - Not sure but seems possible. 
5- Lyrics ( Txt file)  pop up when song starts.  - No 
6- Control with foot switch.   Not easily
7- built in metronome for click.  - yes  

An interesting  app but really a regular player with the addition of a built in click track. Which is what a lot of people who have real drummers need. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/11/20 03:27:36

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

tenfoot
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 09:13:54 (permalink)
Cactus Music

1- Plays 4 or more audio tracks -     Only plays 2 
2- Plays midi    - No 
3- Stops at end  - yes 
4- Drag and drop playlist - Not sure but seems possible. 
5- Lyrics ( Txt file)  pop up when song starts.  - No 
6- Control with foot switch.   Not easily
7- built in metronome for click.  - yes  

With the exception of drag and drop, Sonar playlist does all of this Cactus. Is there something that you dislike about it?

Bruce.

synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 09:47:02 (permalink)
I dunno... Back in the early naughties I played in a band and I used my Fostex VF08 for backing track and click. I don't think I could trust a laptop/PC.

Sorry for sounding negative about this but it's just the way I feel about the stability of both software and hardware.

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 15:40:51 (permalink)
Johnny sorry to get back  so late. I don't usually make it here on the weekends. 

The guy I mentioned in your point 1. is this guy. If you care to watch his over two hour video. He has found a way to do it he is comfortable with. I wouldn't necessarily adopt all of his methods. A few things I really liked were how he can download a whole band, have it in multitrack, and exclude certain tracks to his liking.If he wants a bass player he simply opens that track up in his setup. You can tell he does this all the time and has a system down.

https://youtu.be/XfB2EACvCYU

He is clearly a guitarist. Has a small *ahem* collection of them. I am primarily a pianist/keyboard player even though I have released an acoustic guitar record. I think sometimes I would like to have a keys part playing and play my guitar on stage more.

I really like the way Jeff describes the backing track setup he made and that interface is nice. Though I'm still a PC user, iPad is tough to beat for backing tracks. There are many inexpensive apps for live music backing tracks. A few seem to be using a stereo mix to the house. I have always thought that using anything other than mono is not recommended primarily because of the distance between the channels. You usually loose the image in large venues.

I am worship lead at a  church. As such I am usually on a grand piano with a drummer, bass and vocalists.  We are  old school. All floor wedges. No IEM's. Since I'm also lead vocal I usually stay with my strongest instruments so I can sing and play at the same time. When I'm on guitar I can't sing at the same time. I just don't know the instrument as well.I need to concentrate on playing it, unless it's a really simple kind of thing. I wanted to add additional synths and pads to the mixes, maybe extra drums, guitar parts and additional keys parts. 

The drawback to acoustic piano is it doesn't have midi. It might be tough convincing the church I need to use an 800.00 keyboard instead of their 30,000 dollar grand piano. The grand sounds better than any keyboard. Might need to midi the grand (if they let me).That's probably cost prohibitive at this point.

It's no trouble for me to play the songs into Sonar and add the parts. I played one of our songs into Sonar over the weekend, added some parts to it and it was really easy to do. I'm just not sure I want to fight with a laptop. Here's another idea for something that might work for some people. A kind of interface mixer hybrid product. It plays from an SD card. Has bluetooth if you want to stream music from a cell phone. Has play controls built into it and even a footswitch jack. I'm not sure what the footswitch is for.

USB mixer

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Cactus Music
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 17:43:27 (permalink)
Tenfoot: With the exception of drag and drop, Sonar playlist does all of this Cactus. Is there something that you dislike about it?

Absolutly not, If you read my posts this is why I started this thread to see how other people are using Sonar as a tool for making and playing backing tracks for traditional music, = Rock, Blues, R&B, Country, Folk, Bluegrass and Gospel. I"ll leave electronic and weird DJ set ups out of this because that's a different concept. So our lot is not interested in Abbleton and on the fly creations. We just need replacements for band members who are not on stage for what ever reasons. 
As I said I have been working for almost a year on my collection of tracks upgrading all the instruments etc. I'm adding keyboard parts as most of my old midi tracks are only drum and bass. I play in two different acts, one is a solo act for parties and dances, the other is a duo and we play my originals and acoustic stuff. So I'm dealing with over 200 songs total. 
I'm very happy with my currant set up and the only thing I cannot do with Win Amp is trigger midi. 
So my plan is over the winter, once all my songs are finally updated I will give Sonars Playlist a shot. 

Starise:  It sounds like that person is doing more than what a Karaoke track can do, Karaoke is not multi track. It is either the original song and someone managed to remove the vocals or they are done in studios and played as close to the original as possible. 

Synkrotron:  Well I've used my set up since WIndows XP , I've stayed with the same software for playback since day one after testing them all. Win Amp was made by the same folks who made Reaper. It hasn't been updated or touched in 10+ years but runs on W10 still because it was good code. 
I have never ever had my system fail me. And I always have a back up. 
My laptops I use for live are optimized and I stay with XP and W7 for stability. 
So your fears are unfounded. A laptop is no more or less reliable than my mixing board. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 17:58:55 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Well I've used my set up since WIndows XP , I've stayed with the same software for playback since day one after testing them all. Win Amp was made by the same folks who made Reaper. It hasn't been updated or touched in 10+ years but runs on W10 still because it was good code. 

I have never ever had my system fail me. And I always have a back up. 
My laptops I use for live are optimized and I stay with XP and W7 for stability. 
So your fears are unfounded. A laptop is no more or less reliable than my mixing board. 

That sounds great John, and I am glad that you have experienced such stability.

I can only apologise, again, for bringing a touch of negativity to your post. I realise now that I should have kept my thoughts to myself.

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
kicksville
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 273
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 18:38:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2017/11/21 00:32:09
My main creative project (Kicksville) took the idea of using Sonar for backing tracks and expanded on that idea to a degree I haven't seen anywhere else. The basic process was no different than most though: I made stems from the original projects, loaded 'em into a master project, and pressed play when it was time. We used a single large project instead of the playlist feature because we needed to keep timecode consistent for video and lighting worlds.

The big difference was how deeply we integrated Sonar into the production design. How we did that is a loooong story, but the short version is, Sonar controlled everything. Playback, timecode/controller info to video & lighting, scene changes to remote VST hosts, full dynamic automation of the two audio consoles (real-time control of faders, pan, routing, on/off, send levels, on every one of the 72-ish inputs), and more. The tech was part of the performance, so we even ran a split of my main computer screen so the audience could see Sonar doing its thang.

If anyone wants any more of the boring technical details, I'm happy to talk about the geekery involved, but ultimately the playback side of it was pretty simple. And most importantly, in ten years of doing these shows, we've never had a problem.

Here's an example.... BTW, the audio on this video was the 2-track FOH feed from our on-stage console, recorded back into Sonar during the show. In other words, this is the exact audio that went to the PA, not something mixed in post.

https://youtu.be/QOWNVf2p00s
Cactus Music
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 20:05:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/11/20 20:17:36
Andy:  Actually I didn't find your post negative, You have good reason to fear overly technical set ups whan it comes to live music. It's why I myself avioded using a DAW for playback as my experiance with Sonar is about 90% stable so I could not deal with that 10% possibility of a train wreck. I bought Home Studio as I feel it will be that much more stable than Splat. 

Conrad: Thank you for your post. Good stuff. 

So speaking of stability, this brings up this next question: 
For simplicity I have removed all audio from my backing tracks. I used melodyn to convert my bass tracks to midi and have managed to convert some of the ssongs that I used real drums or parts of drums using Drum replacer. Thank you Sonar for those wonderful features. 
The reason to go with 100% midi is the songs will all sonicly match. The Bass will be the exact same bass played at the same Velocity and level on all songs. The drums will be AD2 but I do change the kits around a little bit. For piano all songs will be the Air Mini grand, Other keyboards vary and then a few songs use horns or say a flute, 

But the question is, should I leave them as pure midi or freeze all the synths and use pure audio? What is the danger in using free wheeling midi and VST's? 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 20:23:35 (permalink)
The great thing about midi tracks I guess is the ability to switch things on and off if you need to.  I am still more inclined to convert to audio though.  (You could always mix alternate audio only versions of various combinations. In my case it is always the same though so it is fine. The drums are live as well as bass, guitar and vocals. What is mainly on the backing are all the keyboards parts, plus vocal harmonies so the main main sound is coming from the band. Also good too because if the backing failed for any reason, the band can go on and not much will change)

And stereo backing tracks still sound way better than mono as well.  The myth about not using stereo live is also just that, a myth.  I mix everything in stereo live.  It sounds way better to me.  I can hear it at the back of the room. 

A few years ago I saw Chick Corea (in another band) playing live with live instruments plus a laptop VST and he was ripping on the computer and all of a sudden it crashed.  He was cool about it though.  He just said mid song "Oh well just as well I have got some real instruments here" and finished the piece off on piano and Rhodes which still sounded awesome of course.  So even in that situation the computer failed.

I wonder too how fast can you close down a song and open another one on a computer.  What seems like fast at home can be an eternity on stage live.  The system I use now with the player running on an iPad is way fast.  This band often goes very quick from one thing to another.  Not sure you can that with a computer either. 

If you are running a computer live as well you must not connect it to the power in any way either. Live venues are notorious for switching transients on the mains power and some fridge coming on in a bar can slam a computer against the wall! Laptop fully charged and off the power is a good option here.  Safe at least. The iPad seems immune to power transients though. It has never stopped ever. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 22:02:03 (permalink)
Once I've mixed a tune I create a "live" mix; pulling the lead vocal and main guitar.
Left goes to the PA mains and right goes to the floor monitors.
I started out (Cake Pro 3.0) mixing to cassette, then CD;
now I drop the tunes on my iPhone and patch that to the PA (that's fun when you get a call mid tune).
Most tunes get a "cue" for the tune's name, key and count in.
Some the Mains will simultaneously have crowd noise, patter, anything to keep the set moving.
Normally when playing out its me (guitar and vocal) and a buddy who plays harmonic and some guitar.
Pretty basic, for what I do actually running the gig with Sonar would be more work than I care to do.
Setting up the PA and my amp is enough at my age
T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
FantomG6
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 22:52:36 (permalink)
I've used Sonar for some years.

I was in an 80s synthpop tribute band (as lead vocals, sometime keys and programmer/arranger and my mate as 'man on keys' a-la David Ball/Vince Clarke/Steve Bascombe) We started with his version of Sonar 3 to which I have married a host of hardware - Edirol 880 firing off a raft of synths and workstations through Korg, Yamaha and Roland, outboard effects and at the height of our powers all of our extensive lighting and effects rig via a MIDI/DMX converter. I programmed the lot (such is the ease) and either built the MIDIfile from scratch (converting it to a BVs equipped Normal File) or re-engineered internet-available (usually poorly constructed) MIDIs to build into two or three sets. Press the space bar and you're away, next song loads and so-on. I ended up upgrading to Sonar 8, which I am currently re-using to re-record and re-engineer the setlists as we are re-forming due to massive demand. It never ceased to amaze me (and gave me a feeling of 'you'll never know') watching the crowd dancing their arses off near the end of the second set to the encores if they did actually know how many early-hours sessions (with my job beckoning a few hours later) I had had in my studio loft alone with my rig, injecting and crafting the positions of the lighting, triggering effects, applying ramped reverb and delay cc messages to time exactly to a word at the end of a line (like 'Don't Go' be Yazoo) or working out which patch needs to change with synth as I play through the channel on the sequencer in real time via my wireless-equipped Roland AX1 with my mate doing similar. I'm sure people thought we were miming as we went out into the crowd. It was all dependent upon me setting everything right, buffers, memory allocation and sample rate for various inserted sounds we couldn't re-create on the hardware. Sonar does it all.

As said, we are back on the road next year after seven years of haitus. It's great being back in and amongst it and I know it will work with our very much pared down setup these days. Once the money starts coming in though, I know it's be going on more kit.

Vic
craigr68
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 22:54:50 (permalink)
Interesting thread.  I sometimes wonder who is using Sonar for backing tracks.  It seems like a minority.  Anyway, I have a history mostly in the 80s of using sequencers to trigger mostly background vocals (on an Akai S900) and some synth parts in an original band.  Used to feed a click track to the drummer to keep everyone in sync.  It had its challenges and a few horror stories.  For instance, one time the band had a big outdoor gig on a bright sunny day. Unfortunately, I never quite anticipated the screen being completely washed out from sunlight on my DX7IIFD which played the sequences.  That wasn't cool.  I used to do a constant shuffling of Akai S900 floppies and loading midi sequences into a DX7II.  Wow, gives me the willies thinking about it.

After the 80s, I gave performing a long rest.  But in the last couple years I got re-interested and found that VST synths, amp sims, electronic drums, etc were really happening and latency wasn't much of an issue any more.  And I could build complete backing tracks by myself.  I enjoy building my own backing tracks for just instrumental songs that I think are special and enjoy playing along with on guitar and keyboards.  My method involves creating the drums, bass, and whatever else is needed in a song and that gets mixed down to a stereo audio track.  Then I create the guitar and/or keyboard tracks that I want to play manually as separate instrument tracks.  I use TH3 as my guitar sim and mostly rapture, z3ta, synthmaster one, Syntronik, Hybrid, Xpand, truepianos, etc for VST synths.  Many of my synth patches and automations change on the fly as I'm playing along, all controlled by Sonar.  It took me quite a while to get this working using a combination of MIDIOX and loopbe30 which run in the background.  It works quite reliably but I would upgrade my computer if I ever dared to play live again, which I'm not planning on.  It's just for my own amusement at this time and it's a ton of fun.  

One problem I'm having if any one has a solution is:  I'm using Sonar playlists which work ok but since I have automation in all the songs, it always asks me if I want to save the song after playing thru the playlist, which of course I don't.  The problem is, the songs don't unload as I continue on playing thru the playlist and it starts to put a load on memory.
Cactus Music
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 23:14:57 (permalink)
Jeff:  Good stuff . That's the beauty of a laptop vs a mini PC. Laptops are power buffered. I remember a night long ago with the Atari system and the power kept going out for a few seconds a coming back on. The Atari not only had to re boot, but the songs all had to load from the Floopy disk to RAM and this was painfully slow. Good thing it was just a bar and not a dance. 
At dances I bang my songs off back to back with zero downtime. 
I use a USB footswitch and I master all my songs with tight top and tails. With Win Amp if I select the next song while the last song is in fade out the next song plays. I'll do about 4 songs fast like that then take a quick break to catch my breath. So your thoughts about the time it takes to load a song is one reason I've been reluctant to change my system for what it is. One of the acid test for Sonars playlist will be just that. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/11/20 23:56:55

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Cactus Music
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/20 23:56:01 (permalink)
Tom:  Well sounds like you and me would get along. I buy the best equipment I can afford but # 1 is Simplicity. #2 is weight :)  I've just ordered a Voice Live Play Acoustic. I think and I hope it will replace my mixer, my Lexicon MX 200 and for my acoustic gigs, my pedal board. The TC Voice Live, a mike, guitar and 2 powered speakers. Oh and my net book. I'll be in the market for a Voice Live with a built in MP3 player! 

Vic:  Another great historical musical document. I have a feeling that this thread will be insights from a lot of us who pioneered midi performance gear.
One thing, I highly recommend you upgrade to at least the latest Home Studio, The new PVR editing speeds things up tremendously for me. If your working with midi your going to want the tools we now have, 100% workflow improvements just in this last year of Sonar. And I could also not live without drum replacer and Melodyn for converting my audio bass and drum tracks to midi. 

Craig: Ya I been there in the sunlight were all those little LED screens go blank on you! Makes you realize how much time we spend in the dark. And yet another denizen of the 80's, good stuff. Good heads up on the playlist wanting to save.. Possibly Tenfoot can answer that as that certainly scares me. It's a weird behaviour of Sonar that you can open aproject, hit the space bar and play it, stop and hit close and it askes you to save. It's like it's not happy if the cursor has moved. In one way this is good as it saves your butt but it does get tiresome when your just cruising old projects to see what's there. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

tenfoot
Re: The "Sonar for Live Performance Backing track" Thread 2017/11/21 00:31:45 (permalink)
kicksville
My main creative project (Kicksville) took the idea of using Sonar for backing tracks and expanded on that idea to a degree I haven't seen anywhere else. The basic process was no different than most though: I made stems from the original projects, loaded 'em into a master project, and pressed play when it was time. We used a single large project instead of the playlist feature because we needed to keep timecode consistent for video and lighting worlds.

The big difference was how deeply we integrated Sonar into the production design. How we did that is a loooong story, but the short version is, Sonar controlled everything. Playback, timecode/controller info to video & lighting, scene changes to remote VST hosts, full dynamic automation of the two audio consoles (real-time control of faders, pan, routing, on/off, send levels, on every one of the 72-ish inputs), and more. The tech was part of the performance, so we even ran a split of my main computer screen so the audience could see Sonar doing its thang.

If anyone wants any more of the boring technical details, I'm happy to talk about the geekery involved, but ultimately the playback side of it was pretty simple. And most importantly, in ten years of doing these shows, we've never had a problem.

Here's an example.... BTW, the audio on this video was the 2-track FOH feed from our on-stage console, recorded back into Sonar during the show. In other words, this is the exact audio that went to the PA, not something mixed in post.

https://youtu.be/QOWNVf2p00s

Brilliant work Kicksville! I would love to pick your brain a bit if you dont mind:)  Is the triggering of the DMX controller via midi or do you have some form of deeper integraton that allows more flexible control/editing from within Sonar? You mention that Sonar is used to control the show. Is it generating the timecode, or are you syncing it to another clock/ show controller? I seem to have no end of frustration trying to maintain stable timecode sync between Sonar and other software.

Bruce.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1