Helpful ReplyThe best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
bandso
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
2014/04/16 01:47:34 (permalink)

The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar

This is sort of a post to some of the new users that have come to our little community as of late.

For the past decade or so I've had a bad case of gear lust. I've bought entire effects suites from Nomad, Slate, Izotope, IK, (some) Waves, and from anywhere else that I could find; chasing that elusive perfect mix. I just knew that the next plugin would be the magic pill that would put my mixes into the next level. Well I've finally come to realize..I have 15 compressors, 5 tape sims, too many EQ's, and my mixes have stayed more or less the same, minor improvements, but alas the same. Major head scratching was going on for quite some time considering the amount of $ I'd spent.
   Then I stumbled into the world of instructional videos. It seemes that I had fantastic tools right in front of me all of the time but I really didn't know how to use them properly. I had an idea, but not real training. Even stock plugins can be made to shine once you really get a handle on how, why, and where they are supposed to be set. Plain and simple, I was ignorant and didn't even know what was out there to be learned let alone how to learn it. I'm still and will always be a student of audio engineering, but once you have a teacher show you what can be learned then your eyes and ears are opened and a whole new way of mixing is opened up to you.

So..why did I post this bit of soul searching. Well... I just finished watching Sonar tips and tricks from groove3.com and I'm just totally blown away. All of the Sonar related groove3 videos, the ones in the cake store, youtube, and others have helped me grow way more than any $500 effect bundle ever did. Plus for the most part they are dirt cheap compared to a new mic, plugin, or interface.
If you are looking to spend a little cash to invest in your studio, invest in yourself. Get these videos so you can at least see all that your powerful DAW has to offer. Feed your head, FEED IT!

Bandlab Platinum and every other toy I can get my hands on...and yes I'm way in debt over this obsession...
Scoot
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 875
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 02:34:51 (permalink)
The bonus video with X3 sold in March of Groove3's Sonar Explained, really helped me. I never really used 8.5 enough to call myself familiar with it, then leapt to X3. I'm loving it so much and Groove3 made the transition so much easier, along with X3's interface being cleaned up and more intuitive, I'm finding the learning cure so much softer. After that video I checked a stack of the free taster sections from their site and decided to put some time aside to take full advantage of the $15 all you can see on month pass. A trapped nerve in my back yesterday has left me pretty immobile, so I thought sod it and having been watching for the past hour or so. It's nice not to have to blindly fumble around when you try something new, and will help becoming creative with it come so much quicker.

I like the fact it's not just software based material too, and the Music theory and recording techniques videos look just as appetising. 

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO i7 -4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHZ 8gb RAM. Windows 8.1 64bit Full HD Touchscreen
Sonar X3 Producer, AAS Complete set, XLN AD Keys and Drums, TH2
Roland Quad Capture, AudioTeckina 3035 Mic and ATH-M50 Headphones.
Korg Nanopad2, WX5 Midi Sax, , Soprano Sax, Alto and Soprano Flute, Acoustic Guitar and Epiphone Dot

Scoot not scook
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 05:13:28 (permalink)
I can certainly identify with the OP's sentiments after recently picking up a Groove3 instructional video for a different Cakewalk product that I was looking to learn ….
the Groove3 video saved me a lot of time and was very informative ….

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 06:29:37 (permalink)
+1 for Groove3's video on Sonar Explained.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 06:59:55 (permalink)
+1 I found the videos on EQ, compression and general mixing, of different styles, to be the most helpful. It's interesting though. watch any number of videos from different sources and you'll notice a lot of different techniques.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
Bule
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 09:16:07 (permalink)
I like the videos also but one thing you touched on (op)that is really big is the fact that the effects and tools that are stock with sonar even something as simple as the Sonitus Reverb and delays are awesome tools. The Pro channel and tube emulators can take a very tiny signal and be made into a very hot sounding unique awesome clip that can be even further processed. It's basically endless what you can do with just the stock stuff on-board right in front of you if you know what you are doing.

Rig
HP  dx7500-Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz
8 Gb memory, SATA 1TB 7200 64MB, Flatron W1942TE LG,  Steinberg UR44
 USB Interface
X3 Producer
Windows 7- 64 bit Sonar Pro 8.5  & X1,X2a,X3- Pro
Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 10:02:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BlixYZ 2014/04/16 10:57:44
There is no point in these at all..

They completely violate the "he who dies with the most toys wins" theory.. 

Don't do it!.. keep buying more VST that you don't know how to use!!!!

:)

and a big +1 to groove3 stuff..

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
mmorgan
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 10:04:52 (permalink)
Right on bandso. I try and watch at least one tutorial every day. They really help.

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 10:59:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby HELLYA 2014/04/17 18:40:14
Don't forget that Cakewalk's Dan Gonzalez is posting a lot of excellent video tutorials here on the site, and they're free. He just did a series on compression that you'll find very helpful. Check the Cakewalk blog to see what he's been up to.

Also, if you want to find out about some advanced techniques, my two Advanced Workshop videos are still available from the Cakewalk store. While done using Sonar X1, virtually all of the techniques remain valid.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
jkoseattle
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 556
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 11:12:24 (permalink)
I don't want to learn! I want to KNOW!

Thank you for posting this. I will definitely look at them, because I'm guilty as charged. Just wrote down "groove3" on my smartphone notebook app thing.

The issue for me is that when I have a chunk of time to work on my music projects, it's such a rare and wonderful thing that I don't want to spend it watching videos. But I know, I know, and I will.
bandso
  • Total Posts : 361
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 11:26:34 (permalink)
Mystic38
There is no point in these at all..

They completely violate the "he who dies with the most toys wins" theory.. 

Don't do it!.. keep buying more VST that you don't know how to use!!!!

:)

and a big +1 to groove3 stuff..

Now that is funny stuff indeed! Yea, I lived by that rule for a long time.
+1 to the other replies. Even if you think you know something like using busing and audiosnap, watching someone else tackle the same mixing issues can be quite rewarding. Even if they only do something small like use a tiny hidden button or keyboard shortcut (the midi input quantize button comes to mind for me) that you had previously overlooked, that single tip can become quite a time saver for you the next time you record or mix.
Yes, please look at the videos for sale at the Cake store as well as groove3. They are worth their weight in gold.
If anyone knows other places to get these type of videos, please share.
www.proaudiodvds.com is also good resource for general mixing information (but not for sonar specifically).

Bandlab Platinum and every other toy I can get my hands on...and yes I'm way in debt over this obsession...
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 12:02:46 (permalink)
Good post, bandso. I couldn't agree more. Know the tools you have first before moving on to fancier versions.

The only caveat I'd add is that the quality of information on the net varies from excellent and inspiring to less than useless, especially on YouTube. Every teenager with a video camera seems to think he's an expert on something. Even folks who truly are experts sometimes get their facts wrong, or have a hidden agenda such as promoting plugins or hardware. 

Another obvious recommendation: always start with the vendor documentation that came with the products you bought. How many times do we see questions posted online that are answered in a help file? Granted, sometimes the vendor documentation is thin. But sometimes it's packed with good information (e.g. iZotope's mastering guide, Dan Worrall's FabFilter videos, Howard Scarr's Zebra tutorials).

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
kennywtelejazz
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 13:20:06 (permalink)
+1 on the videos being sold at the Cakewalk store 
I picked up 2 this week …the Rapture and Dim Pro ..together they both ran me $9.99… 
that was a score in my book and I want to get deeper w both synths 

I've been eying a couple of Craig's older video's ..they also seem to be on sale ...
after I posted this message ..
I went over to the store and picked up  The SONAR X1 Advanced Worksop V.2 w C A 
I'm still working my way into X3 from 6 …there is no doubt in my mind that I will learn a lot of new things from this vid 

the thing that I like a lot about picking up video's , the kind of quality videos we are talking about here ,
they are so much an easier itch to scratch …..a couple of synths and plugs I need are major purchases and it takes a lot to go there comfortably 
I can always seem to find the ability to find a guilt free 20 bucks give or take 10 to  fund a new vid ...

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/04/16 13:31:20

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

fb.seeker
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 13:37:22 (permalink)
kenny,

Big +1 on your post...  Just purchased, and processing barber pole still turning...
Thanks!

FrankB "Our Home is Over the Next Hill" Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/user/fbseeker?feature=guide
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 14:37:42 (permalink)
Agreed. About two years ago I flipped from GAS sufferer to minimalist feng-shui. You know what helps that? Rebuild your DAW. You suddenly realize all those goddamned VSTs are causing nothing but trouble. 

As for mixing, it's technique really. Anybody who is good and knows their rig can turn out great results with the stock plugs that come with any DAW.

There's some Netflix-like service for things like MiLaR and the Nashville Recording DVDs, both of which are EXCELLENT. I still use a slight variation of Dye's MiLaR workflow on my mixes, and have been consistently changing the plugin combos to be SONAR-supplied wherever possible. Actually now my final submaster chain is all SONAR plugs. 

I'll tell you what the single best purchase I made to improve my mixing: high-density insulation! I just made about 11 acoustic panels out of the stuff and setup the room a little more properly. WHOAH the difference! With a good frequency neutral (or much closer to it) the clarity clears up so much you can mix better AND faster. 

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
kennywtelejazz
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 15:13:43 (permalink)
fb.seeker
kenny,

Big +1 on your post...  Just purchased, and processing barber pole still turning...
Thanks!

thats excellent fb.seeker  I'm happy for you 

I just bought both of the The SONAR X1 Advanced Worksop with  C A videos …today at $ 4.99 each vid 

that makes  4 vids this week …Raptue , Dim Pro, and both The SONAR X1 Advanced Worksop with C A videos all for 20 bucks 

Oh Yeah  , I'm pretty happy about that …...Thanks Cakewalk for offering up such a great deal 

all the best, 

Kenny 
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/04/16 15:25:35

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Vade
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 15:32:43 (permalink)
Sounds like very good advice to this DAW noob. I've been tempted by the many offers from Cakewalk, but for now, the only upgrade I've been seriously contemplating is the upgrade to full Melodyne when it goes on sale. I didn't even know what it was when my upgrade offer expired last February but now that I've been using it a bit the full version looks like a significant improvement. But perhaps I'm missing something about the upgrade? Any thoughts?
mmorgan
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 16:16:51 (permalink)
Every rule needs the exception to prove it (so they say). To me Melodyne is that exception. Melodyne Editor gets two thumbs up from me.

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
Vade
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 16:22:59 (permalink)
Thanks for that mmorgan. I want to get a bit more familiar with Sonar before trying the Melodyne upgrade demo and then with a bit of luck I may be able to wrangle a deal on the upgrade.
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 16:52:06 (permalink)
Bets thing I bought for mixing with Sonar is the Edirol M-16DX (V2) with the Sonar Overlays.
S.L.I.P.
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 949
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 17:31:38 (permalink)
1+ for groove 3!  For the last month I've been on the $15 all you can eat plan.  I've got a chromecast, and flinging it to my TV.  It's better than Netflix!!!
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 17:33:50 (permalink)
I just bought 4 videos from the Cakewalk store this month (three by Karl Rove. Thanks fastbikerboy,) and SONAR X3 Explained came free with my X3 upgrade.

I have both of Craig Anderton's Advanced Workshop videos. They both are helpful, and we are lucky to have Mr. Anderton making presentations for us using the SONAR environment. Thank you for doing helpful things for us SONAR users throughout the years! Having more professionals doing the same is a good thing for the SONAR community.

The Groove3 tutorials are helpful videos, indeed.

I really like Eli Krantzberg's SONAR related videos. He is extremely good at teaching how to use SONAR and knowledgeable about music production related things in general. He also has other well done videos, such as Music Theory Explained, and MIDI Orchestration Explained. I wish he would cover more of these music production related topics using SONAR, though, since I'm more familiar with it (but there may be more tips and tricks or functionality he can reveal I'm not aware of), and it is my DAW of choice.

I can't overstate how impressed and pleased I am with Eli's tutorials/videos. If this was a university, and I was a student, again, he would certainly be my favorite professor! Come on Eli! ... uh Mr. Kranzberg....Give us some more videos using SONAR? And may you prosper and be in good health.
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2014/04/16 21:47:19

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 18:12:02 (permalink)
About 2 years ago, after a "7 year  lull" (LOL), I went from Sonar 5.2PE on my old P4 XP, to Windows 7 on a new ROG i7 ASUS laptop (intending to build another desktop, which I am still planning) and bought X1PE. Right after that we bought a house (and more studio gear/software ),  which kept me busy enough that X2 came out and I bumped up a level, though I didn't feel I was catching up. At that point I realized how far behind I was/felt! So, I got Craig's vids, ones for Z3ta, Rapture, X2 explained, etc, which led me to Groove 3. I did the monthly $15 All Access Pass, until they had a deal for $10/month, which I did until they had their $99/year! I don't have to go anywhere or know someone who knows Sonar!
    I couldn't be more pleased with it. It is like going to school for the stuff I OWN! How cool! I use CakeTV and whatever Craig does, plus Scott Garrigus' DigiFreq forum, too, and now feel like I am getting up to speed again.
Highly recommended!
Michael

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
rebel007
  • Total Posts : 926
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/16 20:30:36 (permalink)
Sometimes I find myself taking all those plugs out of the mix and going back to the bare tracks to mix. I find myself getting so out of my depth with what I have inserted into the signal chain, that I have absolutely no idea what tweaking a knob is going to effect. So, it's back to the drawing board and a lot of the time i find the bare tracks with a bit of volume balance, sounds just great. Of course I'll add a touch of compression, add a little EQ and then some delay and reverb....... oh no.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
tvolhein
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 413
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/17 08:34:06 (permalink)
+1 for using what comes with Sonar.  Right now, I am using only PC and Reverberation.  I still have much to learn about both and try to keep my mixing as simple as possible.  My rule is:
- good performance
- good room
- good mic placement
- good mics
- good analog equipment in the input side
- good work with balances, mixing etc
- then I think about PC and plug ins

As I do only simple acoustic music, this works for me.

Tom

Tom Volhein
tvolhein@gmail.com
http://www.tomvolhein.com
H55 motherboard, Intel i7 870, SATA-II, TI Firewire, USB-3, 4 GB DDR3, 3-1TB HDs (130MB/Sec), Dual head video (1GB), 22x DVD/RW w/lightscribe, Windows 7 x64, Sonar Platinum, latest build x64, Fireface 800

thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/17 12:47:57 (permalink)
rebel007
Sometimes I find myself taking all those plugs out of the mix and going back to the bare tracks to mix. I find myself getting so out of my depth with what I have inserted into the signal chain, that I have absolutely no idea what tweaking a knob is going to effect. So, it's back to the drawing board and a lot of the time i find the bare tracks with a bit of volume balance, sounds just great. Of course I'll add a touch of compression, add a little EQ and then some delay and reverb....... oh no.

LOL That was funny as heck!

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
rcrees
  • Total Posts : 392
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/17 13:12:41 (permalink)
pentimentosound
 I use CakeTV and whatever Craig does, plus Scott Garrigus' DigiFreq forum, too, ...
Highly recommended!
Michael

+1 for Craig, Scott and CakeTV (as well as SONAR Power X*)  The Groove 3 Sonar X3 Explained vid is one of the best learning experiences I've had since joining the Cake family many years/versions ago.  Simple, thorough, extremely well produced and executed.  Answered so many questions I didn't even know I had, and touched on processes that I overlooked in the past because I thought they were over my head…but now I know enough to go forward with them...

I'm a guitar player from way back.  The advice I always give to new guitar players is, jam with as many other guitar players as you can…you will almost always learn something new from each one of them.  Same goes here with the various Sonar vids.  Watching these guys go through the motions, sometimes in different ways, increases the chance of a lightbulb going off in my head...

Love this community

Rob

http://www.rcreesmusic.com
Dell XPS 8300, Intel Core i7, 8gigs ram, AMD Radeon 6670, Two SATA II 500gig hard drives, one 250gig external USB drive, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, M-Audio Keystation 61es, Windows 7 Home Premium, SONAR X3 Producer, many sample libraries including EastWest PLAYx64 Gold Complete, RA, Stormdrum and Choirs
Marcus Curtis
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/17 13:41:31 (permalink)
Anderton
Don't forget that Cakewalk's Dan Gonzalez is posting a lot of excellent video tutorials here on the site, and they're free. He just did a series on compression that you'll find very helpful. Check the Cakewalk blog to see what he's been up to.

Also, if you want to find out about some advanced techniques, my two Advanced Workshop videos are still available from the Cakewalk store. While done using Sonar X1, virtually all of the techniques remain valid.

I have those Workshop videos and I found them to be a great asset. If you are investing in yourself and looking for great videos I would recommend them.

I would also say if you have not done so already spend some time over at the cakewalk university. There are three levels of videos there. Getting Started, Go Deeper, and Master Class. All of those videos are great as well. The best part is they are free. If you are new to Sonar you will learn a great deal just by watching those videos. They go beyond the basic use of Sonar and show some cool ways to get the most out of X3

On the Blog they have new videos on using the CA-2A compression plug. There is a lot of good information in those videos as well. Right now Dan is doing a section on mixing. 

I don't have many plug-ins outside of the ones that come with Sonar X3. I have all the great free ones that are out there. There are a few awesome ones that cost nothing.

The only one I purchased was Ozone 5. That is an incredible plug-in to use on the buss channels. Groove 3 has a great video that explains Ozone 5 in detail. I was not aware of everything it did until I watched that video. I did not like the choice of music used for the examples but I learned a lot from the video. 

They also have a great video on the Zeta 2 synth at Groove 3.

Investing in your skills is always a good investment. It is also good to have the videos to review every once in a while.

http://www.marcuscurtismusic.com/  

Windows 10 ultimate, Sonar Platinum, AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T processor 3.00 GHz, (6 cores) 8 gigs of Ram, 

Audio interfaces=VS-100, Pod X3 live pro, Boss GT-100, Boss GP10
Midi Controllers=Edirol  PCR 800, roland GR-55.    

Ozone 7, Podfarm, Th2 Full Version, Melda, True Pianos Full Version, and a whole bunch of free VST plugins which can be found through my site.

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/17 18:38:52 (permalink)
Like Marcus Curtis, after watching Eli go through mixing with/using IK T-Racks (which I had just bought!), I was both amazed at what they could do and delighted with ALL that I already owned... and obviously need to spend some time with! With experts like Craig Anderton, Eli Krantzberg, and all the contributors to CakeTV, I feel completely confident I will learn how to do what I want and way more! I have been really enjoying Seth Perlman's 5 part SD3 and Step Sequencer Master Drum tutorial, and finally feel like I am getting the hang of it and that it will be a major advancement for me. I've been longing after the ease of Groove Agent 2.
   In a way I guess, I feel blown away by all that my studio rig will do! It is nice to be impressed with what you own! LOL
Michael

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
kennywtelejazz
Re: The best purchase that I've ever made to improve my mixing with Sonar 2014/04/17 20:11:55 (permalink)
Anderton

Hi Craig, 
I picked up both of the Advanced Workshop videos you did ...
I got half way through the first one today …already it has helped me a lot ….

before I got your videos , I felt like I was hitting a brick wall with X3 ,
X3 is just so much different than what I was used to S 6 PE …everything about X3 was a lot for me to absorb while trying to figure it all out on my own .

your videos are excellent and the material you presented was very deep and thorough ...
I think what you are doing is a great thing by putting it out there ….
helping people learn the tools so they can realize their musical dreams is a pretty high calling .

all the best , 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1