The best sound drivers for GTP3 and XP??

Author
ACE STOKES 2.0
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
2012/07/30 18:20:50 (permalink)

The best sound drivers for GTP3 and XP??

Hey, I'm getting back into this FINALLY!! I'm up to a GB of RAM-it only holds 2. I had a PC crash. When I got this old Dell XP up and runnin' again the AC'97 audio drivers were GONE!!?? I tried to update-didn't work. I did a Google search and found SoundMax drivers-as I understand it they are generic win drivers too?? These kick A**!!!!! I've had no crashes or stutters or problems. So does "If it ain't broke don't fix it" work here? My real question is are there better one's out there-should I use something else? Do I really need to restore it to original drivers? With whatever happen with the crash I also lost use of both CD/DVD drives-I can't watch/listen or burn anything. I know my old board Brother's have got an answer for me on the drivers!! So spill it puh-LEEEEEEZZZEE!!

3 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:The best sound drivers for GTP3 and XP?? 2012/08/01 08:47:21 (permalink)
    What sound card are you using?  The drivers used should be the most recent version available for that card or interface.  You can generally find the most recent ones at the companies web site for download. 

Remember......

You can always buy a USB type interface (M-Audio or Presonus or Focusrite or something) which is what many of us have. Ideally you should be using a soundcard or interface that uses ASIO drivers. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:The best sound drivers for GTP3 and XP?? 2012/08/02 23:28:19 (permalink)

Hey, Ace. Good to see you.Bummer on the crash.
    There is a very good chance the Dell has a SoundMax sound chip, so it makes sense that those drivers would work well, as far as they go. The downside is that they support MME, possibly WDM (probably not very well), and no ASIO at all.
    Is there better? Most definitely, yes, but here's the rub.
    You can go USB (or firewire if your system supports it). On your system, they will offer good performance, decidedly better than the built-in card.
    On your system, a PCI card, such as the M-Audio 2496, will offer superior performance.
    However, it would most likey not be usable if you get a newer machine.
    Note my system specs. i am using an older machine, much like yours, with a PCI card ( the E-MU0404). While this machine has served me well, I know her days are numbered.
    Do you foresee a new system, or do you need to keep the current one running for a few more years?
    As for the CD/DVD drivers, mine are all HP, and I can download drivers from their site.
    If you know the Mfg and model #, you should be able to do the same.
    If you have the original install discs, you can use those.
    hth.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    ACE STOKES 2.0
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 141
    Re:The best sound drivers for GTP3 and XP?? 2012/11/05 12:50:36 (permalink)
    Hey guys-SO sorry-I didn't subscribe and forgot all about my post. It has been a LONG year!! Guitarhacker: Thanks-The only thing now that shows up for sound card is the SoundMax digital audio. Before the SoundMax "possession" It was a standard Realtek97?? motherboard sound card. I did go to the windows site and realek but those drivers seemed to make no difference. So I've left it alone and for a while was getting a lot recorded without past problems. I had an M-Audio Fast Track? for a while-ya know the first one they made that had track bleeding? So I got rid of that. I wasted a lot of time on that because EVERYONE said you need an audio interface to do recording. I was using ASIO drivers for a long time too. Still had problems. But for the past 6 months I've used the SoundMax plugging the guitar straight in to the line in of the motherboard sound card in to some amp sims. I had no noise like in the past. I also FINALLY got more RAM-up to 1GB now *set the pigeons loose*!! So I don't know?? I'm just doin' what I can!! RobertB: Hey Brother-nice to see and be seen!! Yeah the SoundMax has been awesome!! Wish I would have found them years ago!! ;) Like I said above for what I have it has worked way better than all past efforts!! I know ASIO would be the ideal thing maybe I'll try them again some time. I've been reading a lot on fire wire and would love to try it. It seems like it would help on slower PC's because of the bypassing in the process. I've heard lots of good things about the 2496. I really don't see me getting a new PC any time soon. I dig XP SO much!! Mine only supports 2GB max and I'm half way there now!! Dear Santa...wait a minute..that's another post...what were we talkin' about?? Yeah I should really search the mfg and model thing. It's probably such an easy fix and I've let it go. The original discs well...IDK??? I got a song 75% finished and had a crash of another sort. I will put a separate post up in a few about that. It looks like my stuff is going to be posthumously released!! LMAO
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1