The current state of Z3ta vs. Rapture

Author
Dan_E10
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2006/10/06 13:15:56 (permalink)

The current state of Z3ta vs. Rapture

To make a long story short, I'd like to get something to use for "analog" type sounds to replace Square I. I tried some demos and checked out some of the synths from Arturia and Gmedia and also Pentagon I. I also tried out the demos of Z3ta and Rapture and they seem to do analog sounds well and also go way beyond the typical VA simulation.

It seems both Z3ta and Rapture run right around the $200USD mark unless I missed some deal out there. Based on some superficial playing around with the demos, I'm still a bit uncertain which one to go with. Apparently there are a whole lot of great patches for Z3ta out on the web, but has stuff been springing up for Rapture too? I've read that the two are totally different animals but I'm still not sure I understand what the crucial differences are. I did read the Craig Anderton Pro Review here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=af919e345be904d5af8db02498ff4df8&threadid=1188738&perpage=20&pagenumber=4
where René jumped and and described the architecture changes, but it sounded to me like Rapture does almost everything Z3ta can but but better perhaps with the exception of the waveshaper. Now that RGC was bought out by Cakewalk, has there been continued support for Z3ta or has the focus shifted to Rapture and the other Cakewalk synths? If any of you have both, and you could only keep one, which would it be and why? What case would you make for getting Z3ta instead of Rapture?
thanks,
Dan

2 Replies Related Threads

Shayne White
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: The current state of Z3ta vs. Rapture 2006/10/06 15:21:17 (permalink)
    I don't know much about Z3ta+ vs. Rapture, but I know what the difference is between a true VA synth and Rapture. Rapture is sample-based (even if it "redraws" the harmonics of wavetables to eliminate aliasing), whereas a VA synth (and especially good, recent ones) are truly emulating analog hardware. VA synths will have pulse width modulation, oscillator sync, various analog-style imperfections in pitch, signal quality, etc., FM, and other features that Rapture won't have. Rapture has excellent analog-sounding filters, but the oscillators are a completely different story. You may be able to emulate a lot of analog-ish sounds in Rapture, but certain things you simply won't be able to do. On the other hand, Rapture can take any short wave file and "rebuild" it to make it have the rich character of analog synths, while VA synths are limited to pulse, saw, triangle, and sine.

Basically, you'll want both types of synths, not just one or the other.

Arturia's synths are excellent, and Pentagon is as well. Haven't tried GMedia's stuff much. Another thing to look into is CreamWare's new Klangboxes, which are hardware rack units that plug into your computer and are about as close to software as hardware can get (they're not too expensive, either). They have emulations of the MiniMoog (they call it MiniMax), Prophet-5 (Pro-12), and Odyssey (Prodyssey). As I have the MiniMax (the Scope DSP version), I've compared it with Arturia's MiniMoog, and CreamWare's version sounds, IMHO, much better and has more character. Unfortunately, it's not multi-timberal.

Just a thought....

Well, whatever you get, I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

Shayne
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: The current state of Z3ta vs. Rapture 2006/10/06 18:01:21 (permalink)
    I think there is (was) a blow out of Z3TA going on. Rapture basically superceeded it - and surpassed it. Yes, you can add some freebies from the KVR site to it (there is a virus mod and some other things). There are some things you can do with Z3Ta, but more that you can with Rapture. Niether is a true VA, but each can do analog style sounds, pluse more. They are more akin to modular synthesis than a pre wired mini-moog, etc.

I think Rapture is better - sounds better and is a little more flexible. I think you can pick it up for $159 these days (or maybe that is only with SONAR). And like I said, I think Z3TA was going for $99. That may be an old deal.

But either one of those would go good with Ugo's free synths - hell, Ugo's stuff is good all by itself. The new drum synth is worth paying for, too.

http://www.ugoaudio.com/

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1