The following drivers either do not support...

Author
Yasoo
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 844
2003/11/25 15:43:14 (permalink)

The following drivers either do not support...

I just switched to XP from ME. I got the following message when starting up Sonar:

"The following drivers either do not support the current audio format or are in use by another application"

And it refers to my Tascam US-122 OUT. I didn't get this message in ME. But, I do have my onboard sound and the US-122 enabled in XP. I'm not sure if that matters, it seems to work for everything else, I can just select which one I want to use and XP seems to handle it. So I'm not sure if it's confused or if it's being used by another application. I'm not sure why it thinks that either as I have no other applications running.

What it amounts to is that my audio tracks aren't playing. How do I debug this? Any ideas?

8 Replies Related Threads

DivarU
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: The following drivers either do not support... 2003/11/25 15:59:36 (permalink)
    Disable the Windows system sounds, if they're not disabled. Do you need the onboard soundcard? If not, disable that too.

Yasoo
    RE: The following drivers either do not support... 2003/11/25 16:14:42 (permalink)
    I think I need the onboard sound. I'm not done testing all my software in the new OS. In ME, I couldn't run the racing simulator with the USB device as my sound. Disabling the onboard sound fixed the sitch! Thanks.

However, why? I have all these places in XP and Sonar to select which device to use. Why does this error happen?
    majormidi
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: The following drivers either do not support... 2003/11/26 00:32:12 (permalink)
    are in use by another application"

I suspect that the part of the above sentence "are in use by another application" is where the problem is. Make sure that you don't have another audio application open at the same time. For example, Wavelab or Sound Forge or even Windows Media Player, etc.

I have a "practice" machine that I often use the original sound card that is in the computer and occasionally I see this also. You can also do a Ctl-Alt-Del command to see what programs are running in the background. You can disable the offending program from there also.

Hope this helps 'ya out![/
    Yasoo
    RE: The following drivers either do not support... 2003/11/26 00:40:26 (permalink)
    Hi Glen. Thanks for the reply. Cool lookin' studio. Yeah, it must be in use by another application. I disabled the onboard and it fixed it for awhile. Reboot and it's back (onboard still disabled - I made a hardware profile). Change a couple settings in control panel->sounds and it's fixed... once again for awhile. Start and Restart Sonar and it's fixed... for awhile. :) I don't consciously have any programs running and using my Tascam US-122 USB device. Not sure what process might be using it. Maybe it's the onboard's sound control in the task tray...
    Yasoo
    RE: The following drivers either do not support... 2003/11/26 00:52:32 (permalink)
    Looks like I have to select the onboard sound in the output devices list in the audio setup in Sonar and deselect the Tascam output device. The thing I'm getting now it the volume of the audio track is almost inaudible. This is wierd. It worked good in Win ME with the Tascam selected as the output device. I wonder if the drivers don't match right in XP to work with Sonar.
    Yasoo
    RE: The following drivers either do not support... 2003/11/26 01:23:45 (permalink)
    O.K., check this out. I unplugged the Tascam from the USB port and plugged it back in to see if that would fix it. XP wouldn't recognize it. It was like nothing got plugged in. So I tried another USB port and XP resintalled the drivers again. I guess it does that separately for each port? They are all onboard. Well, anyway, after that it seems that I have to unplug the Tascam and plug it back into the MIDI port. Then I can select it in the input and output drivers in Sonar and it works. For awhile... LOL This one is really wierd. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It seems that if I can get Sonar to start once without displaying that message, it works fine and will continue to work even if I exit Sonar and restart. Wow, I'm boggled with this one. Any other thoughts?
    < Message edited by Yasoo -- 11/26/2003 1:30:58 AM >
    CP
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 693
    RE: The following drivers either do not support... 2003/11/26 02:29:16 (permalink)
    Easy. SONAR uses WDM drivers. If you load any software that uses any sort of ASIO or related driver, SONAR will not know what to do with your US-122. Restart your computer before you want to use the Tascam device with SONAR. It will turn off, since it's bus powered, then load during the startup screen which it needs to do. It has its own volume control on the unit itself if you have it set up in the recommmended way.
    Satrianifan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: The following drivers either do not support... 2003/12/09 03:03:36 (permalink)
    Hi! I just bought myself a HP/Compaq NX7000 and use it with my US-122
    and Sonar. I also got this error message. And after some work I found out
    that my HP NX7000 came with onboard sound engine SoundMax and had
    installed a "SoundMax MIDI Softsynth". This is really just a program that
    are using the default audio-out device. And in the Control Panel I had
    selected the US-122 as my primary audio device. In Sonar if I used
    this "SoundMax MIDI Softsynth" as MIDI device I just got trouble, because
    it was trying to also use the US-122. So the error warning was allright in that
    it was saying that another program was using the US-122 device.
    I deinstalled the SoundMax in Contol Panel-->Add/Remove Programs.
    And with just the US-122 installed om my laptop everything is allright.
    Later I reinstalled the SoundMax but I did i trick to not install the SoftSynth.
    I run the install program and when it came with the message "do you want
    to install..." I used WindowsExplorer to make a copy of the uncompressed
    files and store then to another directory. Then I canceled the install
    program and took a look at the uncompressed files/folders.
    I saw a folder called something like "Softsynth" and I just deleted this.
    Then I run the Setup program and it installed everything exept the SoftSynth.
    I had problem to disable the SoundMax SoftSynth earlier so this was just
    what I hoped would happen. So fare everything is no allright. Sorry for
    my bad english. have fun!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1