Author
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
2018/09/02 13:54:25 (permalink)

The forever which guitar strings are best

I saw this on Reverb.com:

Tommy Emmanuel on "The Best String in the World"

It’s not about which strings you like the best: It’s about which strings your guitar likes the best.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/02 15:32:43 (permalink)
McCartney said, when he's asked by the music shop keeper "Which strings do you want", the shiny ones.

I'm going with that.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/02 17:34:39 (permalink)
It doesn't seem to matter.

Whenever I play my guitar they all sound bad.
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/02 18:38:03 (permalink)
Meh. I've been using D'Adarrio .11 (thru) for electric and D'Addario .13 (thru) for acoustic for over a decade now. They sound good, last long, give me the resistance I like and are cost effective.

What I REALLY miss and used to use exclusively was an off brand called "NoFame" because they were pretty much as good and cost half the price (which was especially helpful for bass strings).

When I played live I would snap strings like crazy. It got to the point I could swap out a string before the 2-3 minute song had ended.

I'm not quite as heavy handed these days though because the home studio stuff really exposes right hand technical flaws.
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/02 19:10:40 (permalink)
Been using GHS Boomers on electric guitar for probably 30 years. Savarez gold label with the wound G string for about the same length of time for classical. 6 string acoustic I normally go for Dean Markley Blue Steel. 12 string I haven't found a favorite. 4 and 5 string bass I usually go with GHS Bass Boomers.
Beepster
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/02 19:53:05 (permalink)
I used Boomers a few times when I was just starting out and ya, they were good.

I used EB Slinky's (.08's and then .09's) for most of that period though and grew to dislike them. I think they did help me develop my bending/vibrato style early on before my blapples fully dropped and my hands got stronger. Now if I play anything less than a .10 it's like spaghetti strings.

The lighter gauges though are absolutely great for the hyper speed soloing stuff and at some point I may set up a guit specifically for that type of work but I really did abandon that route ages ago. I still play fast lead stuff sometimes but I'm far more into really digging in and making the notes pop and squeal vs trying to go for speed (I absolutely cannot compete with the new crop of speed players anyway... but I can outslippery/raunch/spazz them).

I also consider myself more of a "lead rhythm" type player. To me what I'm doing as a back up instrument betwixt solos is far more important than my noodly bits (but I still ache over those too so they create actual dynamics and not be noodling for the sake of noodling).

When I'm writing and tracking I've been trying to make it so that my "Lead Guit" track is one part from the beginning to the end of the song instead of overdubbing solos. I love "live" sounding recordings so I think that brings a bit of that despite being all on my lonesome. Point being that the .11 thrus allow me to really smash out the rhythms building up to the solos and although I lose some speed whilst noodling the smooth transitions and extra tone is worth it.

All anecdotal of course. Everyone's styles and prefs are different. The concept of there being a "best" string completely ignores the complexity of our craft. You use what works for what you are trying to accomplish. It's like debating Gibson over Fender. They aren't the same thing. They bring unique advantages (and disadvantages) to the table.

Cheers, all.
Beepster
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/02 20:08:13 (permalink)
urh... and I know I could use LT/HB strings but I use all the thinner strings during my "rhythms" as well and the LT part buggers that up.
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/02 20:17:46 (permalink)
For me;

DAddarrio XL 110s for solid body electrics
D'Addarrio flat wound Chrome Lites for archtop 
D Addarrio extra hard tension J 44 for classical

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Beepster
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/02 20:33:30 (permalink)
bayoubill
For me;

DAddarrio XL 110s for solid body electrics
D'Addarrio flat wound Chrome Lites for archtop 
D Addarrio extra hard tension J 44 for classical

I desperately need to save/earn some damned money so I can diversify axe-wise. I love my Yammie and it is extremely versatile but it is but one beast.

Also I yanked out my acoustic again (after clearing it with my neighbors) and the frets are so worn I'm having to pay far too much attention to avoid buzzing.

I really like that guit though (it's extremely bright and has been through hell and back with me) but a refretting? The guit itself probably couldn't fetch $50.

I'm also thinking that I may need to switch to a roundback acoustic because the standard shape of an acoustic is causing me much pain (jamming into ribs and I can't hold them comfortably without twisting up my back).

I was thinking about this last night and ideally (because I dislike the dead sound of full on roundbacks such as the old Ovations) I'd like an acoustic that has a roundback style body ONLY on the top left panel and right bottom panel on the back of the guit (so the top left ain't jamming into my ribs and the bottom right isn't jamming into my hip/making me reach my picking hand out farther than it needs to be which boorks my spine).

I figure if the bulk of the body is made of traditional wood and carbon fiber is just used for those two contact points I'd still get a robust sounding guit without all the painful jabbiness.

fireberd
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/03 10:49:06 (permalink)
Pedal Steel Guitar brings in another issue, string fatigue because of the constant stretching of strings.  When I was doing road work I would change strings (set) every 10 shows.  Not because they were dead but to avoid string breakage on a show.  I still change them about every 10 shows but that is "monthly" now.  On the changer (bridge) end there is a sharp bend that can be a breaking point.  It has roller nuts and that helps to minimize breakage at that point but there is still the potential.  On an E9th tuning (what is used on most Nashville sounds), the 3rd string is usually a .011 and tuned open to G# (same as 1st string 4th fret on 6 string guitar).  It is pulled to an (open) A.

I've tried almost every brand on the market including the new and pricey NYXL strings (got some free from the Nashville D'Addario rep).  The NYXL's seem to stay brighter longer but I just didn't like the sound.  My string of choice that I've used since the old Bill Lawrence Nashville days is George L's (SS wound).  Going back to what the guitar likes, my Franklin Pedal Steel likes the George L's.  Seems to "fall in place" with them.  Other brands I have to do a lot of retuning of the changes and even one brand that will remain unnamed was like rubber bands and I could not get it to tune or "stay in tune".

I like GHS Brite Flats for bass.  These used to be called "ground wounds". 

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Sixfinger
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/03 12:38:34 (permalink)
I change often so I like them cheap. Used to buy in bulk from MF the rouge 11 15 18 26 36 50 by the dozen. Well they aren't carrying them anymore so I'm searching for a new option. Might even go down to 10's as I'm nearly 63 years old, simply to preclude doing any damage to myself.  Any thoughts of sources for bulk strings would be useful.

Sonar Platinum , ADK Computer -Intel - Penryn Quad Core Q9400 Processor, Windows 7 Home premium 64, RME Fireface UFX, Grace 101 Pre's, A-800 Pro, assorted mics, Strats ,Les Pauls, Mesa Boogies
http://lionfeather.com
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/03 12:45:59 (permalink)
fireberd
Other brands I have to do a lot of retuning of the changes and even one brand that will remain unnamed was like rubber bands and I could not get it to tune or "stay in tune". 

I’ve also had problems intonating one brand, and the “reduced/equal tension” sets as well. For whatever reason there often just isn’t enough saddle travel in a Gibson bridge to get the intonation spot on. Or what passes for “spot on” on a guitar.

I generally go with the “the guitar decides the gauges” principle - which for me seems to mean 10-46 on Fenders and 9-46 on Gibsons. The shorted Gibson scale length implies a heavier string being a good idea to match the tension on the Fenders, but for whatever reason I much prefer 9-46. As did Les Paul.

As for makes, Fender pure nickel wrap are both good and the cheapest pure nickel wrap out there. I used Gibson strings for years on my Gibsons, but since Gibson dropped Brite Wires I’ve switched to Ernie Ball.

For slide in E and D it’s pretty much whatever I can get in 13-50something.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
fireberd
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/03 12:48:26 (permalink)
I know some have had good luck with www.juststrings.com bulk strings.

"GCSG Productions"
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
tom1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/03 17:13:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2018/09/03 17:59:07
Every year or so  I replace the strings on my guitars.  Whether they need it or not.

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
East West:
Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/03 17:59:33 (permalink)
tom1
Every year or so  I replace the strings on my guitars.  Whether they need it or not.

Bass strings will last three years.

If you let them.
Beepster
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/03 19:31:57 (permalink)
Man would I love to get my hands on a pedal steel. I've never played one but I LOVE the sound.

I'm also certain I could make horrifyingly unnatural noises with one.

Difficulty: I suck with a slide but I don't think I've had a proper instrument to really go anywhere with it. The stationary/face up orientation of the PS seems like the ultimate slide guit config. The bendy pedal stuff just makes it exponentially cooler.
Zonno
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 999
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/04 09:52:15 (permalink)
I like 011 strings, but they are a bit too tight for me.
And very important for me is that strings do not break, so I use Ernie Ball Paradigm 010.

In one my bands the singer now asks if we can tune down to Eb. His voice is aging.
Tuned in Eb I will go back to 011

Cakewalk, Reason 10, KOMPLETE 11, BIAB 2018, Roland OctaCapture, Finale 26, PCR-300, HP ZBook, Guitars 
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/04 15:19:43 (permalink)
I recently tried some "String Joy" strings for my ancient Gibson acoustic and they are very nice. Too much packaging but you have to get something extra with a $15 pack of strings. There's the box, paper wrap,  a plastic package with 6 other packages inside of it and a thank you card. They run the company out of Nashville. My 1930 Gibson is very delicate so I need uber light strings and String Joy makes a few options that work well.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/04 19:37:48 (permalink)
bapu
tom1

Bass strings will last three years.

If you let them.

Carol Kaye claims to have never changed the strings on her basses. She just traded in the bass she had against a new one every couple of years when the old one had been played enough to need fret-work doing. The idea being to never have to turn down work because her bass was at the luthiers.

I used to change round wound bass strings once they tarnished or felt rough, otherwise they tend to file grooves in the frets and fingerboard. Then I switched to flat wound for more low-end thump and less twang- they seem to last for ever.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
jyoung60
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/05 00:10:30 (permalink)
Acoustic: Gibson Ultra Lights (.11-.52)
Electric: Fender Nickelplated Steel Super 250s (.11-.49)

Would experiment with others but $$ prevent me from potentially wasting them.

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest version) - x64
VST: Roland Sound Canvas VA
Hardware: Roland MC50mkII Sequencer; Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard; Steinberg UR-44 Interface
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: The forever which guitar strings are best 2018/09/05 00:41:42 (permalink)
GHS Precision Flats on my Jazz Bass - I may never change these a la Jamerson
GHS Nylon Tapes on my Acoustic Bass Guitar - Man I love these compared to the clangy stock rounds, they really bring out a woody tone
Daddario Chrome flats on my Dot (335) 12's -  I have moments of loving these to frustration with them being too dull. I play finger style and I still very much a beginner, so I blame my fingers for the variation. I do much prefer the feel of flats, so considering half wound (ground) next time.

My new Guild small bodied still has stock stings, but I have a set of 12's Daddario Nickel Bronze in waiting, once the corrosion hits the unwound strings.

Corrosion on my guitar's unwound strings is a big issue here, but I've recently found that most Daddario strings be they electric or acoustic use the same plain steel strings. PL0012 and PL0016 are the product codes listed on all their 12's. I recently broke a 12 on my Epiphone Dot, and the 16 was pretty rusty, only Meng's shop in HCMC stocks Chromes in Vietnam. But as the unwounds are the same, I took an 11 and 16 from a pack of electric 9's (YOu don;t see electric 12's here in Da Nang or Vietnam in general). But I now know I can take these from an acoustic set.

Being I have 12 and 16 on both my acoustic and electric I'll get some singles for these next time in the UK, seems only the US has these in 5 packs.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1