The option to record subcode/metadata (i.e. track markers etc) over S/PDIF, please! :)

Author
AudioAnnihilator
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2016/03/06 13:22:26 (permalink)

The option to record subcode/metadata (i.e. track markers etc) over S/PDIF, please! :)

I posted a question about this yesterday on the Cakewalk Products/SONAR -section of the forums (http://forum.cakewalk.com...-SPDIF-m3381512.aspx). Apparently SONAR doesn't support recording metadata/subcode data such as time/track markers etc when recording digitally over S/PDIF.

I also found out that at least when using RME sound cards, they have a built-in TMS functionality that enables the metadata/subcode data to be received over S/PDIF, but sadly there are not many programs that can read the data. In fact, since the feature isn't available in WaveLab anymore, the only program that I found that was able to do the job was Samplitude Pro X2 from MAGIX. It worked perfectly fine; I ran the trial version yesterday and used the software to record a couple of DAT tapes digitally - the track markers were automatically added to the recording. However, I wouldn't want to purchase yet another ~400EUR/USD DAW just for this one simple, single feature. 

Now, since there's a lot of material out there that people working in the audio industry would still need to transfer audio from sources such as DAT tapes (or whatever the digital source; as long as it sends out the track subcode/metadata over S/PDIF), I'd ask of you to consider adding this functionality to SONAR as well. The subcode/metadata information is simply a huge time-saver when transferring audio material digitally as the track markers are added to the project/wave file automatically. When you're talking about piles of tapes with often no cue sheets included, the track marker metadata is crucial, or otherwise the playback deck itself needs to be watched upon constantly and all marker positions written down manually.

I've been a SONAR user since around version 5 or so back in my audio school days and purchased my own SONAR 8.5.3 Producer Edition years ago - I have since obtained all the later versions of the Producer suite up to SONAR Platinum, so please take this suggestion from a long-term SONAR user into consideration as, believe it or not - for some people in the business who are doing audio transfers and restoration work, this really might be a deal-breaker. Thanks.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1