The perfect synth

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: The perfect synth 2006/03/31 11:44:00 (permalink)
Can you really extract an LFO shape out of a wave file??
Sure can, Shayne, and it's easy. If I wasn't so fussy about creating efficient templates, I'd have a full set of 72 available for download. OTOH, I'm also having a problem with choosing among all that I've made, in order to assemble the most generally useful ones (defined by category). You can read about the specifics of "how-to" in [this thread].

It's true that there's no native graintable features, but Larry has already created some .progs that uses graintable synthesis as an oscillator source. It's the next best thing, considering that you can create your own wavetable oscillators. Scanning? You have to get creative, but ...
lawapa
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: The perfect synth 2006/03/31 18:12:46 (permalink)
: http://hem.passagen.se/rasmuse/Granny.htm
This very tiny app allows you to scan a wave file and produce a granular file. It will produce some very unusual results.

I was doing a file using SoundForge to sequence wavetables using the synth function. Then I'd run the resulting looped file through Granulab. Most unusual results ;)+)

As you can probably guess I use (software) tools to work around certain limitations. The results are shall we say different? But in the hunt for the unusual sound this allows a certain level of control you might not get with the I'll just do it for you app. And if you'd like I could email you with examples ;)+)

I would not have stumbled on this had not the Pentagon supported user wave forms. Now with rapture this has evolved into something approaching a high art? Not that the Z3ta didn't take it up a few notches ;)+) But Rapture? WOW!

Rene has been conspicuously absent these last few days, Working on the next big thing? The mind shudders at what this mad scientist is up to. More sonic mayhem for the masses? We all wonder and yet wait.
post edited by lawapa - 2006/04/01 17:34:54
b rock
RE: The perfect synth 2006/03/31 18:21:14 (permalink)
Rene has been conspicuously absent these last few days
Um ... Germany?
lawapa
RE: The perfect synth 2006/03/31 18:26:41 (permalink)
Um ... Germany?

I forgot ALL ABOUT THE BIG SHOW. Music Meese. And the fact that he never misses it. And well, I wouldn't either ;)+)

You do know those synth nut's in Europe are fanatical about his software.
René
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/01 11:03:37 (permalink)
quote:

Rene has been conspicuously absent these last few days
Um ... Germany?

Bingo. Posting this from the Powerbook, hidden in the background of the Cakewalk booth. Borrowed wifi is cool. Has been a cool show, not great, but cool.

Next big thing... we for sure discuss and do some little stuff for it. But honestly, we're talking much more about how to give you guys more for the current stuff.

-René
lawapa
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/01 17:18:05 (permalink)
But honestly, we're talking much more about how to give you guys more for the current stuff.

Ohhh! My 'o' MY. I'd say that sounds good, But you know already. I'd ask for some show gossup. Ya know ;)+) the wispers, Little tid bits you could drop. But everyone likes to play their cards so close to the vest these day's. To hear anything ya must swear to eternal secrecy or loose your first born child.
Gonkulator
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/04 18:26:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Shayne White

Can you really extract an LFO shape out of a wave file??

Shayne

Absolutely. if fact, LFO shapes in Rapture ARE wave files. You just have to name the files accordingly in the LFO folder, and you're set. Up to 80 user LFOs

However, I want Wave scanning, wavetable sweeping, even wave sequencing. Is any of that possible in Rapture? I haven't found it yet.

...Back on Topic...

Anaolg signal path as much as possible, a knob for everything, or at least A LOT of knobs, all with LCDs that indicate what they do. I love the Nord Lead 3 interface's rotating LEDs. A touch screen for drawing sequences, waveforms, etc. Orchestral samples as well.

So, in summary, analog oscs, filters, large, numerous precise knobs like on the Moog, with LEDs like the NL3, Wavetable stuff like Microwave/Prophet VS, numerous sequencer possibilities like on Rapture, all with a big touch screen and a big streaming orchestral library. If I could combine all my favorite features from the Moog, V-Synth, Rapture, NL3, G2, and Microwave/Wavestation I'd be pretty well set.

Our Music

I7 920
16 g RAM
WD Drives
Sonar X1, Rapture, Zebra 2   
UAD-1, Sonalksis, EWQL
RME (Repaired)  
Solaris (Coming soon), NL3, G2, PER, JP6, Vger, V-Synth, D-2 (Broken), M3000, Eclipse, etc.
lawapa
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/04 21:10:11 (permalink)
Wave scanning, wavetable sweeping, even wave sequencing

Wave scanning ---I'm unsure what this means

wave sequencing----I've been using SoundForge to pull off a crude homemade version. But I've only used the stock wave forms in the Tools/Synth area and exported as a looped wave file. I will assume wavetable sweeping is a looped file that repetes a series of waves. This of course is not a a PPG wavetable synth per se but is a kind of work around that will open in Rapture.
Gonkulator
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/05 03:38:55 (permalink)
Wave scanning, as I use the term, is just choosing a specific wave within a defined table.

I thought of maybe trying to use the .sfz format to fake a kind of wavetable using a different wave for each velocity value. I wondered about inserting different waveforms for each velocity, and then using velocity switching them in Sonar based on the velocity I programmed. It would be very weird when playing live, but could be precisely controlled in the sequencer. One wave per note-on, but with legato (or not), you could simulate some traditional wavetable stuff, in a kind of crude way. Maybe?

Our Music

I7 920
16 g RAM
WD Drives
Sonar X1, Rapture, Zebra 2   
UAD-1, Sonalksis, EWQL
RME (Repaired)  
Solaris (Coming soon), NL3, G2, PER, JP6, Vger, V-Synth, D-2 (Broken), M3000, Eclipse, etc.
René
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/05 10:28:10 (permalink)
Using sfz, you can easily do velocity-switching of wavetables, random-switching, sequence-switching, keyboard-switching, or any combo between them. I know of some freaky guys who are using like 24 wavetables and crossfading them using the X-Y pad.

I have said enough.

-René
lawapa
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/05 21:31:02 (permalink)
I have said enough.

No, no Please do go on ;)+) Unless of course There are reasons I don't know about ;)+)
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/06 14:42:29 (permalink)
Yea, René. go on. That is exacly something I would be interested in

Or is it that you can't say anything else?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
b rock
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/06 14:53:50 (permalink)
I know of some freaky guys who are using like 24 wavetables and crossfading them using the X-Y pad.
The names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent. And, no: it wasn't me ... at the time of Rene's original reply, anyway.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: The perfect synth 2006/04/06 15:01:25 (permalink)
So, we gonna have to change your name to Mr. B Freaky rock or what?

look forward to whatever happens.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1