The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/13 20:52:27 (permalink)
Well Timur , as english is not my birth langage , i will not try and need to go in deep explaination of what's happening in the "noyau " (goole it to say what's in english) of this os !!

The improvement for the multimedia use and tools where great but , aske programmers what they think about makin some c++, java , cobol , sql ..(for the banks ...) apps for this environnement !!

The fact that integartion is as bad in this os isn't because programmers (who used to make some drivers for xp ) don't know hwo to do it for vista) but more because of parameters that were introduced in the os, and makes the equation messy as hell because of the variables ****ty as hell .....

Just my two cents ....

But i don't have to go deep , just ask a regular guyz and he will say to you that he feels better in xp against vista , why , he doens't know but he knows ! ;)

For myself i started (with a friend in the rme forum) to make a list of good laptops for pro audio as i have some friends in the comp bizness and i tested all brands (from Alienware to dell, hp vaio, macbookpro, acer , toshib, asus ....) and one constant thing was the dpc latency results with same laptops in vista and xp !!

that alone is enough to make you see !!! don't tell me to kill process , cause even with the strict minimum process possible , it was ****ty (of course with all devices that may introduce latencies out of the game !)

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Timur
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/13 21:14:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Zo

Well Timur , as english is not my birth langage ,

Mine neither!

The improvement for the multimedia use and tools where great but , aske programmers what they think about makin some c++, java , cobol , sql ..(for the banks ...) apps for this environnement !!

Well, this is the Sonar forum and obviously Cakewalk made good use of the improvements.

The fact that integartion is as bad in this os isn't because programmers (who used to make some drivers for xp ) don't know hwo to do it for vista) but more because of parameters that were introduced in the os, and makes the equation messy as hell because of the variables ****ty as hell .....

If in return it makes the OS and applications stable as hell then I feel no pity for the developers having to go the extra mile.

But i don't have to go deep , just ask a regular guyz and he will say to you that he feels better in xp against vista , why , he doens't know but he knows ! ;)

Yeah, he doesn't know it's bad drivers and software implementation that keep him from enjoying the OS. It's just so much easier to blame the OS for not being the same under the hood as the outdated XP with just a shiney new GUI. Some applications were so blatantly badly written for Vista and so obviously untested, too, that it defies any words how much the developers tried to cheat us into buying their stuff.

Sometimes I wish Microsoft would force us all to use new technology and forfeit legacy compatibility like Apple does. You'd have to keep your old hardware and OS if you wanted to use old software applications. And developers would need to properly write new software revisions and test them in order to get them sold for new hardware and OS.

and one constant thing was the dpc latency results with same laptops in vista and xp !!
that alone is enough to make you see !!! don't tell me to kill process , cause even with the strict minimum process possible , it was ****ty (of course with all devices that may introduce latencies out of the game !)

DPC latency is a product of device IRQs and thus of device drivers! It's not because of the OS that they happen excessively (unless there is a bug that needs to be fixed for free via a Service Update) and it's not because of processes that they happen (unless some process calls a device driver on a regular basis).

You likely know my "HOWTO: Low DPC latencies (<100 us) on bootcamped Macbooks (Pro)" threads from the RME forum that can also be found here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1601661&mpage=1&key=�

I am getting low latencies on an Nforce4 board, I'm getting low latencies on different laptops. Whenever I encountered DPC related problems it was due to some driver misbehaving (like an USB card-reader on one laptop). The only really Vista related DPC problem I encountered is the ACPI Battery driver by Microsoft that leads to regular DPC spikes every 15 seconds on Vista.

Like this one there are device drivers that perform alot better on XP than on Vista DPC wise, especially NVidia graphic drivers for Geforce 8 (and 9 mobile, 7 based cards run perfectly good DPC wise) based card. But still that's a problem of improperly written drivers and will likely happen on W7 just the same, albeit I have to admit that the drop in Idle DPC spikes for the Broadcom WLAN adapter are very nice and hopefully happen with other devices as well (not NVidia graphic drivers though, I already tried that!).

It doesn't matter in practice wether DPC Latencies are downto 2 us (XP) or 20 us (Vista) as long as they stay well below 1000 us and preferably below 100 us. Is this low enough for you (Vista obviously)?

post edited by Timur - 2009/01/13 21:26:33

We're all mad in here...
Zo
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/13 21:24:59 (permalink)
Like this one there are device drivers that perform alot better on XP than on Vista DPC wise, especially NVidia graphic drivers. But still that's a problem of improperly written drivers and will likely happen on W7 just the same, albeit I have to admit that the drop in Idle DPC spikes for the Broadcom WLAN adapter are very nice and hopefully happen with other devices as well (not NVidia graphic drivers though, I already tried that!).

Ok but tell me witch can give the priority to a even well written driver : driver manufacturers or os thread handling architecture ! basically if i could make all the tweaks we want it could be done , but as microsoft doens't allow access to parameters (witch is normal thing) manufactures are slaves to the architectures and so the os ...

The problem is the core of the os that doesn't allows as good results as in xp , that's as simple !
Is that make xp a better os : no
Is that make xp a better os for reatime audio and video streaming : yes !

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Timur
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/13 21:31:43 (permalink)

The problem is the core of the os that doesn't allows as good results as in xp , that's as simple !
Is that make xp a better os : no
Is that make xp a better os for reatime audio and video streaming : yes !

I get your point, but I disagree. As you can see in my screenshot (done on NVidia 7 hardware on an NForce4 board btw) there obviously are driver developers out there who can and do write proper driver with good results for perfect realtime audio and video streaming on Vista (besides that the thread handling is in fact better on Vista than on XP as well). So if some drivers are perfectly good then the others must be badly written.

Maybe Vista doesn't make it easy to write good drivers, but since W7 uses exactly the same driver model I don't see where it changes anything about that particular problem?! The main and maybe only reason why W7 Beta runs so well for many people is that after more than 2 years the driver situation for Vista is vastly improved, W7 benefits from that (and thus looks so "mature" in Beta state already).
post edited by Timur - 2009/01/13 21:36:11

We're all mad in here...
Zo
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/13 21:33:51 (permalink)
It doesn't matter in practice wether DPC Latencies are downto 2 us (XP) or 20 us (Vista) as long as they stay well below 1000 us and preferably below 100 us. Is this low enough for you (Vista obviously)?

So basically that makes you think that vista is better ?
Strange way of thinking , ten times more latency (even if a real good value) doesn' make you think deeper ...
Well i'm not going to try to make you believe as you're already a pro vista believer , and it's good for you !
You're happy with it ? good !!
Vista is better than even windows 7 : good !

When people start comparing a more than 8 years os with a brand new one , and don't thind more to argue (especially in thoie computer times when 1 month is like 6 !) there's something wrong !

To go short , when people make a new product or an update , it's supposed to perform better , if not , "please try again !"

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Zo
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/13 21:39:04 (permalink)
""""Maybe Vista doesn't make it easy to write good drivers, but since W7 uses exactly the same driver model I don't see where it changes anything about that particular problem?! The main and maybe only reason why W7 Beta runs so well for many people is that after more than 2 years the driver situation for Vista is vastly improved, W7 benefits from that (and thus looks so "mature" in Beta state already)"""""".

That's correct and why : to go with simple term drivers say hey vista i need to access device "x"
Vista sayz : hold on , gotta finish my coffee !

Drivers sayz windows seven i need to access device "X" , microsoft said to seven (take your coffee at home" and be staright at work , so seven replies to drivers : Let's do it !!
post edited by Zo - 2009/01/13 21:43:01

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Timur
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/13 21:46:26 (permalink)

So basically that makes you think that vista is better ?

No, I don't get more Audio performance out of Vista or XP. They both perform upto my CPU's limit and give me exactly the same number of tracks and effects, because I configured my system as good as can be. But Vista allows me a more comfortable and modern use of my computer: like doing indexing at low IO priority that doesn't interfere any much with DAW HD streaming so that I don't have to care to switch it off and many other niceties.

And Vista 64 is far more usable and supported than XP 64 and gives me a whole GB more RAM to use several instances of Kore or big sample-libraries on a computer with 4GB RAM installed.

Strange way of thinking , ten times more latency (even if a real good value) doesn' make you think deeper ...

Erm, this is where I have to stress "realistic" again as in "practically relevant"! In practice it simply doesn't make any much of a difference. I've got no idea where people got their DPC fetish from!? It's just an indication meter that helps to find possible culprits. I can show you reproduceable dropouts at perfectly green DPC latencies.

Vista is better than even windows 7 : good !

Nope. I firmly believe that Windows 7 will be better than Vista in the sense that it is evolved and improved. It will have all the benefits and advantages of Vista and them some more. It will likely be more comfortable, offers an even better thread scheduler and some better configuration options (like User Account Control "levels" instead of just unnerving On and insecure Off).

Will it make my CPU perform at 120%, Scotty? Will it let me play more Audio tracks and effects compared to Vista? Likely not, at least unless I overclock my CPU, sorry! (Aye, Jim, it'll need 4 hours, but I you'll have it in 2).

But I will gladly eat my words if W7 manages to get better low latency performance out of my rig (remember that 65% CPU load limit with 64 samples in Ableton Live?). I will test it some more and report back, but with some meaningful comparison, not just hype.
post edited by Timur - 2009/01/13 21:54:35

We're all mad in here...
Zo
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/13 22:01:02 (permalink)

"""""Erm, this is where I have to stress "realistic" again as in "practically relevant"! In practice it simply doesn't make any much of a difference. I've got no idea where people got their DPC fetish from!? It's just an indication meter that helps to find possible culprits. I can show you reproduceable dropouts at perfectly green DPC latencies. """""

Dpc latency is not the holy gral , but in the same system , it give some indications ; in your case , a driver , a cpu request access will have to wait ten time more than in xp : you got some big cpu power , so big calculation speed : so the wait isn't as bad ...but like you said cpu has it's limit ! and this limit is reached ten time faster with vista than in xp !

post edited by Zo - 2009/01/13 22:05:09

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Michael Five
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 366
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/14 03:05:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Timur

THIS IS F$CK§NG GRAND NEVER SEEN BEFORE PERFORMANCE! I LOVE IT, IT'S MARVELOUS AND FINALLY MS HAD DONE THE RIGHT THING! zzzzzZZZZ c'mon, gimme a break.

The weird font in the obscene word above together with the artful combination of big and little Z's have caused me to have a little seizure.

Or maybe it was the phrase "MS HAS DONE THE RIGHT THING".

Idano.
Tom F
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2749
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/14 04:08:27 (permalink)
welcome to the dcp-fetish thread

btw: whats is all this fixation with dcp - really ...in the end its only important to not have spikes that kill audio performance...
i dont give a damn if my daw has 50, 100 or 500 dcp....actually i never was aware of this great importance of it (there is a great other thread about dcp in the forum that might confirm my opinion that dcp is waaaaay overrated in all this discussions)

cheers

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
kp
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1496
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/14 04:48:38 (permalink)
DPC Latency is much like PCI latency last year, IRQ sharing the year before and so on. It *is* a factor, but it's one that has been picked up on as the factor du jour and hyped to the exclusion of all else, usually by people/magazines who don't have a clue but do have a loyal following.
Timur
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/14 05:07:12 (permalink)
DPCs do matter and they do hint to possible culprits. Generally anything below 1000 us aka 1 ms shouldn't be much of a problem, because usually we don't use Audio Latency settings and below that and most MIDI interfaces have an average latency of around 1 ms, too. But for those people who use even lower audio buffers and tighter MIDI demands it's good to have these as low as possible.

But discussing the differences between 20 us and 2 us is moot. It does not keep the CPU ten times as busy, it keeps the DPC queue ten times as long unusable for other periphery to access. CPU load increases the the number of DPCs issued and the real load demands of the corresponding driver/device, not with the lengths of a single DPC waiting for nothing.

As far as I understood that is the whole sense and reason behind the DPC system. It catches IRQ calls and puts them into a queue so that the CPU doesn't get occupied unnecessarily while a device does nothing. Long DPCs (aka latency) usually hint to a driver being badly and inefficiently written, because most of that time is spent doing nothing. Think of this like a keyboard (driver) waiting for a keystroke and keeping the queue occupied for as long as you don't press the key even when nothing is to be done. It's not like "CPU, do this, do that!" but more like "CPU, wait for me, waaaait for meeeee, waaaaaaaaaaait just a little bit looooonger for meeeeeeeee!"

I advice anyone geeky and interested enough in what's going on under the hood of his system to install "Process Explorer" (free Microsoft tool, formerly Sysinternals). It will not only tell you the number of DPC and IRQ calls serviced by the CPU, but also the load produces by that.
post edited by Timur - 2009/01/14 05:12:52

We're all mad in here...
Timur
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/14 05:13:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kp

DPC Latency is much like PCI latency last year, IRQ sharing the year before and so on. It *is* a factor, but it's one that has been picked up on as the factor du jour and hyped to the exclusion of all else, usually by people/magazines who don't have a clue but do have a loyal following.

One has to be as fair as to admit that beside real CPU load culprits DPC Latency aka badly behaving periphery drivers are the single most relevant culprit when it comes to the hardware side of badly performing computers.

The rest is usually a mixure of inefficient Audio and transport drivers (USB, FW) and software implementations (DAW). Ableton Live is a good example for the latter. It's multicore support is only optimized for effect calculation and creates so unbelievably much overhead (100% for playback, 150% with Inputs being enabled) that Live performs really worse for pure Audio playback with multicore being enabled.

We're all mad in here...
Tom F
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2749
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/14 11:22:10 (permalink)

One has to be as fair as to admit that beside real CPU load culprits DPC Latency aka badly behaving periphery drivers are the single most relevant culprit when it comes to the hardware side of badly performing computers.

The rest is usually a mixure of inefficient Audio and transport drivers (USB, FW) and software implementations (DAW). Ableton Live is a good example for the latter. It's multicore support is only optimized for effect calculation and creates so unbelievably much overhead (100% for playback, 150% with Inputs being enabled) that Live performs really worse for pure Audio playback with multicore being enabled.

actually i am aware of what dcp is about - and since we have so much peripherials in our computers its a inherent part of the system ... btw i wonder why people dont care as much abot cas latency of memory - i get "scared" when i see the actual specs of memory "cl9" ??? hey i want memory with cl3 or 4 ....everybody buys those ddr2 with high frequencies but the paradox og the waitstates is ignored...(btw.. new memory interfaces instead of ddr2 or 3 would be much better than those ddr rams on steroids ....
also i think that we are talking about a very marginal aspect of dawtweaking - i never had dpc issues ever ...and whats wrong with customozing a daw so that you dont run scanner, printer, coffewarer, digicam, wifi, or whatever while working on music...also a lot of people use external usb or firewire drives ( a "no go" for me....except e-sata)
or they use usb or fw audiointerfaces .. so what do you expect from such configurations - you cant blame it all on the os

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
kp
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1496
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/14 11:38:00 (permalink)

Of course, but it is the current bugbear of choice. It just annoys me when something new comes along every year and everyone seems to jump on it as *the* problem child. Not saying it's never a problem at all, but there are other issues out there...
inmazevo
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3276
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/14 12:01:14 (permalink)
You cannot get vastly more performance out of a computer that already utilizes most (if not all) of its potential!

I'm wondering:
Do Leopard and Vista, in your opinion, represent the best system utilization of current machines?

To put it another way:
Do you think that there are no necessary, major modifications that can be made to one or the other (or both) of them in order to fully utilize the potential of current machines?

To put it yet another way:
Is your suggestion that my 8-core machine (which runs Leopard, XP and Vista) cannot possibly see vastly improved performance by a new OS (this is a trick question, since 8-core machines currently have at least one very significant, OS-driven achilles... and on the Mac there's actually a second)?
I can currently utilize most (if not all) of its potential on each of the current operating systems? So, no hope for that to be significantly improved?

- zevo
post edited by inmazevo - 2009/01/14 12:08:36
groove
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 270
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/15 23:51:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: syrath

With regard to the failure of the RME drivers, try right clicking on the install icon, choose the first option in the list (--- the program installed or ran on a previous operating system), select vista, then try running it that way, I had to do that to get my edirol audio interface working.

Same here, and it appears that Windows 7 is actually examining the .exe to see what steps are required. I think it is just reporting the OS version as Vista to satisfy the driver's version check on startup. The driver seems to work just fine after that.

Timur
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/16 07:53:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: groove

ORIGINAL: syrath

With regard to the failure of the RME drivers, try right clicking on the install icon, choose the first option in the list (--- the program installed or ran on a previous operating system), select vista, then try running it that way, I had to do that to get my edirol audio interface working.

Same here, and it appears that Windows 7 is actually examining the .exe to see what steps are required. I think it is just reporting the OS version as Vista to satisfy the driver's version check on startup. The driver seems to work just fine after that.

Does not work for the RME Fireface drivers. But I'm sure RME will come out with an updated driver in due time. Other things have higher priority than supporting a Beta OS.

We're all mad in here...
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/16 08:40:06 (permalink)
Hey Timur - I've discussed DPC with you in another Vista thread where I was having a problem. I was sitting around 1000+us. In XP, I'm at 15-20us on the same box. In Win7, I'm at about 175us. But Win7 has the same issues with audio in Sonar (strange noises at low latency when using input monitoring (esp with effects) or VSTi) as I had in Vista. These three systems are the same hardware with drivers by obviously the same manufacturers, but within their respective lines - like XP, Vista 32, Vista64 (win7). The Vista and W7 boots are completely clean, where the XP side is "in need of a rebuild" since I use it for all sorts of IT testing and whatnot for my "day job". Additionally, the XP side is running AVG! Gasp. Still works better.

I like Vista, which I use on my tablet every day, quite a bit. From what I've seen on W7, I will like it even more, so I'm definitely an advocate for the product line for all my other stuff. But for Audio, for me, it's still not usable.

I'm sure there must be some low level thing happening on my system, as I've got pretty standard stuff and not a whole lot that isn't needed. But it ALL works in XP. In Vista, I even tried disabling every device that was disable-able, to no avail. I've not gone that far with W7 yet.

I've got an ASUS p5b motherboard, with a Core2Duo 6400 CPU, 2gb of decent RAM, a Layla3G (which others are having good results with the same 7.3 WDM drivers), and a few other peripheral items that don't make a difference, enabled or not, such as the Line6 Toneport UX2, which I use only for the purpose of a dongle for the PODFarm application/VST (tried these things before this was even installed and had issues) and not as an enabled audio driver in Sonar, a Behringer BCF2000, an Edirol PCR-800, and a Tranzport. Again, I've done it without these items and no difference was seen. I've tried with and without any networking as well.

I'm VERY open to suggestions that don't include scrapping the motherboard - I'm not in a financial position to be making changes that cost anything.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/16 08:50:50 (permalink)
If you guys don't mind I can report some degree of success after 3 days of beta testing:

System:

SONAR 8.02 Producer
OS 7 Beta 64 bit
Intel Q6600
Ram 2 GBs
Interface Edirol UA101
Video Nvidia Geforce 7600 (256 mb)
MB Gigabyte with p35 chipset and older BIOS to cure DPC problems with that model

Caveat 1: I had never used Vista before this beta OS came out, so I'm starting from scratch so to speak.

I also have an M-Audio 2496, but the 64 bit drivers just flat-out will not install (plus they're still in beta...thanx for nothing M-Audio)

OK, the edirol drivers had to be forced a bit to install, but they did. The bottom line is the lowest latency I can get is under ASIO mode at 6 ms. Anything lower will cause stuttering in playback, no crackles however unless I switch to WDM mode. I also noticed that the DPC Latency Checker reported some serious spikes when my latency was below 6ms in ASIO, but was smooth as can be when at 6ms or higher. I had SONAR running at 16bit 44.1 for these tests. I did as has been reported under 64 bit see a reduction in CPU load which is quite nice.

Essentially at 6ms, the system is pretty rock solid with about 10 soft synths running and all the eye candy of the GUI still enabled. I have not been able to load any major projects as of yet owing to the fact that a lot of my 3rd party plug-ins (Waves, Amplitube, NI etc) require authorization and I don't want to do that with a beta OS.

That's the good news. The same setup under XP 32 will allow me to get as low as 2.2ms of latency. With soft synths the difference is not that great, but with input monitoring it is a bit of a problem. Now as I said above I'm new to this whole VISTA/W7 thing, so it could be just a case of sub-par drivers. The issues in W7 with low latency also only occurred when zooming or resizing tracks, so there could also be a conflict of sorts with my graphics card. At this point I don't know, I'm just bummed about the 2496 not working. Makes me want to go to Guitar Center and get an Echo card (Hey you get 30 days with it...why not).

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to post some results.

Timur
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/17 09:28:08 (permalink)
Here is a simple and somewhat incomplete comparison of memory usage and DPC Latencies between Vista and Windows 7 (and some XP) running on a bootcamped Macbook Pro with 4gb RAM after installing all drivers and Service Pack updates:

Windows 7 32-bit

Number of service after startup: 58
Maximum available RAM: ~2600 out of 3046 mb

Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Number of services after startup: 70
Maximum available RAM: ~2600 out of 3046 mb

So while the number of services has decreased the memory usage seems to remain the same. Maybe some services have just been put together into one.

Windows XP

Maximum available RAM: ~2800 out of 3046 mb

Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Maxmimum available RAM: ~3400 out of 4070 mb
Maxmimum available RAM Aero + Defender + Superfetch deactivated: ~3600 out of 4070 mb

Seemingly Vista 64-bit uses over 200 mb more RAM compared to its 32-bit cousin, but on the other side it offers 1000 mb more RAM to begin with. Aero (DWM.EXE), Windows Defender and Superfetch each use around 30-70 mb RAM (varrying by time).

You can win another 15 mb by turning off Search Indexing and another 20 mb by turning off Windows Audio, but given the practical usefulness of Windows Search I wouldn't turn it off for that minor amount.

Both Windows 7 and Vista draw the very same minimum wattage! I did not test wether Windows 7 draws less average wattage, but I seriously doubt that, since most of the power is drawn by the graphic-card and CPU and energy-saving is up to the graphic-card's and CPU drivers for that and don't really lie under Windows' control.

Both Windows 7 and Vista show the same DPC Latencies with properly written drivers! One exception is W7's Idle DPC Latencies for the older Broadcom WLAN drivers, which are substantially better on W7. But once these older driver become active (network traffic happening via WLAN) they are equally bad on W7 as on Vista. New drivers completely solve that for Idle and Activity for on both W7 and Vista, which proves how important drivers are.

But I cannot deny that W7 improved the bad Idle behavior. Furthermore there is a difference between W7 32-bit, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit. Both W7 32-bit and Vista 64-bit show no signs of DPC problems when the CPU is automatically clocked down via Speedstep while Vista 32-bit is negatively affected by this. This doesn't matter too much though, because under DAW load the CPU usually is clocked to higher rates anyway and thus Vista 32-bit is only partially affected.

Windows 7 32-bit Idle DPC Latencies

Vista 64-bit Idle DPC Latencies

post edited by Timur - 2009/01/17 09:32:20

We're all mad in here...
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/17 10:11:36 (permalink)
Original: Timur

Sometimes I wish Microsoft would force us all to use new technology and forfeit legacy compatibility like Apple does. You'd have to keep your old hardware and OS if you wanted to use old software applications. And developers would need to properly write new software revisions and test them in order to get them sold for new hardware and OS.

IMO it's to sell as much of the new OS as fast as possible. I don't think it's just to be nice.

But yeah, I would agree with you.

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
pozzio
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/17 10:46:51 (permalink)
Just my observations
We have been inundated with the perception that Vista is an inferior OS.
I think it entered the market with a black eye.
Win7 is entering the market with a positive image.
To change public opinion about Vista
takes longer than to design a new OS.
How long it took for the collective mind to realize cigerettes were actually bad.
OS's don't have that kind of shelf life.
post edited by pozzio - 2009/01/17 10:47:51

Forum Shadow since Sonar 1.3
Sonar 8.x
Delta 1010
StudioCat Professional Dual Core
74 Les Paul Custom, 79 Stratocaster, D-28 Martin, Ramirez Cut Away Classical

https://www.facebook.com/Terrainband

https://www.youtube.com/user/terrainband
https://www.reverbnation.com/terrain7
Timur
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/19 15:54:26 (permalink)
For reasons unknown "Windows Installer" became unuseable on my quite fresh W7 64-bit installation today. That means I cannot neither install nor uninstall things.

The last thing I installed today was Nero 7. After that I encoded a DVD via Nero Vision which made the computer BLUE SCREEN right in the middle of the calculations.

Later I ran Prime 95 to test stability and after more than half an hour the computer hang. Screen was black, power-draw/wattage was down to Idle eventhough it should have been at least double as high because of the maximum CPU load.

After that the Windows Installer must have become corrupted.

Windows Explorer also keeps crashing quite often when I'm trying to do configuration or installation work.

After several BLUE SCREENS, Explorer crashings and now this I am not half as much convinced that the BETA is as stable as people keep calling it.

We're all mad in here...
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/19 16:26:13 (permalink)
Assuming that the amount of ram is not an issue, will it be any practical benefit over Windows XP?

ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

Besides: While Microsoft claims that drivers running on Vista should also run on 7 my very first experience with RME Fireface drivers is that Installation fails. That's likely just a problem with the Installer, but it shows that it's not gonna be as hassle-free as Microsoft suggests. That's not a problem for me, but maybe people should stay a bit lower on the hype.

I don't recall seeing a single post inferring that Win-7 "magically" configures itself... or will run well on a sub-par DAW

The bottom line is that Win-7 (fundamentally) is far superior to where Vista was when it was released.
ie: Significantly lower DPC latency will translate to good low-latency performance straight out of the gate. (Not having to wait 12+ months for SP1 to make it a viable DAW platform)

Speaking for myself, I know I wasn't shy about mentioning Vista's (initial) poor performance as a DAW platform.
It only seems right to be just as vocal with positive findings.

Timur
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/19 16:35:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deswind

Assuming that the amount of ram is not an issue, will it be any practical benefit over Windows XP?

Yes, under the hood Vista/Windows 7 is a better OS than XP. Also the tools coming with Vista/W7 that help you to analyse and optimize your system are better and more complete.

Sonar users benefit from its good Vista implementation that make it easier to setup a good performing system without having to ask an IT professional (Audio professionals relying on their systems should always get advise from an IT pro).

It wont change Sonar (or any other DAW for you), it wont get 110% out of your CPU, but it will make it easier to get 100% once proper drivers and software are installed. And especially the W7 GUI is really more efficient.

Last but not least: RAM is always an issue!
post edited by Timur - 2009/01/19 16:39:12

We're all mad in here...
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/19 16:38:00 (permalink)
I appreciate your response. Additional question - If the key drivers work well in Vista, is it likely that they will work well with W7 or do all the manufacturers need to go back to work on new W7 drivers?

Yes, under the hood Vista/Windows 7 is a better OS than XP. Also the tools coming with Vista/W7 that help you to analyse and optimize your system are better and more complete.

Sonar users benefit from its good Vista implementation that make it easier to setup a good performing system without having to ask an IT professional (Audio professionals relying on their systems should always get advise from an IT pro).

It wont change Sonar (or any other DAW for you), it wont get 110% out of your CPU, but it will make it easier to get 100% once proper drivers and software are installed. And especially the W7 GUI is really more efficient.

Last but not least: RAM is always an issue!

Timur
RE: The "realistic" Windows 7 discussion thread 2009/01/19 17:47:29 (permalink)

I appreciate your response. Additional question - If the key drivers work well in Vista, is it likely that they will work well with W7 or do all the manufacturers need to go back to work on new W7 drivers?

The driver model didn't change, so they should work well in W7 once they work in Vista. Seems to work that way with my gear at least.

So this is when third-party manufacturers should finally get their act together and publish properly written Vista/W7 drivers. XP is over and out.

We're all mad in here...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1