Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
DreamzCatcher
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
2008/09/16 22:59:29 (permalink)

Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe!

What would you do and how would you feel if you were the last living creature in the universe?

Something to think about: after you (the last living creature) will die...a sound won't be a sound because there won't be ears to hear it, there won't be colors because there won't be eyes to see it, Einstein discoveries won't matter at all and so on...
think about it in depth, this is very deep question with lots of aspects, maybe it can tell you something about who you are.

please share your thoughts.

"Don't forget to imagine."
Intel 965P-DS4 F5, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300@1.86GHz (x2), 2,096,620 KB RAM. Cubase SX 4, SoundForge 9.. Dynaudio Acoustics & Adam A7..

71 Replies Related Threads

lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 01:32:33 (permalink)
    I used to think about these kinds of things alot but I don't smoke anymore.

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 01:42:41 (permalink)
    Same here, and I no longer drink enough to get me to lower the shields, if you know what I mean. Therefore, I hope you will permit me to say that I would climb into a space suit with a battery-powered headphone amp, grab one of my Jacksons, float out into space and allow myself to be swalled by a black hole.
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 02:23:18 (permalink)
    Dear God, who would fix the Sonar bugs then?
    DreamzCatcher
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 02:40:19 (permalink)
    you don't have to say anything if you can't imagine the situation at the moment, take your time to think about it and share your thoughts...
    perhaps this can tell you why do you make the music that you make, the real reasons behind your doings.

"Don't forget to imagine."
    Intel 965P-DS4 F5, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300@1.86GHz (x2), 2,096,620 KB RAM. Cubase SX 4, SoundForge 9.. Dynaudio Acoustics & Adam A7..
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 07:40:45 (permalink)
    This is a great question, one I've wrestled with on & off for decades. I'll even ask something slightly more realistic: What would you do if no living creature could hear/understand your music? I'm sure that's a feeling we've all encountered once or twice.

My answer is that I would shut down, pack up the show, unplug the microphones and stop doing music. To me, music is foremost a form of communication; communication by definition must have at least 2 parties, a transmitter & a receiver. So if there's no receiver, it would be the same as a radio station broadcasting to a planet without radios. Pointless.

I realize that some people do music for themselves alone. This would be the only logical argument to continue creating music in a void. I once thought I could do this, but I've realized that my enjoyment of my own music is always hinged on how well I think it communicates a point. Again, if there is no communication then my music is completely inert.

I'd better stop thinking too hard about this. Last time I ended up quitting music for 8 years.
    spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 07:50:20 (permalink)
    I can assure you we're not alone...

Just kiddin'...

unless you count the time when....

Never mind, I'm tired of thinking about this. Can we wonder if a G triad with an A bass is really an A11?

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 07:54:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

Dear God, who would fix the Sonar bugs then?

Maytag space bugs?
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 08:01:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lespaulman35

I used to think about these kinds of things alot but I don't smoke anymore.

Hah! Woah there space-head!!!!

As to how I'd feel - I guess lonely might be an understatement
    As to what I'd do - start smoking again, I guess

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    tls11823
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 227
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 11:02:50 (permalink)
    How abstract are we talking here? In a somewhat realistic scenario, if I'm the only one left, it won't be long before the power plants shut down, so there will be no electricity. That means no electronic instruments and no way to record. If that's the case, then it comes down to a matter of playing whatever acoustic instruments I can find, and attempt mastery of them. I would still write songs. Only a small percentage of my stuff has ever been heard by ears other than mine, anyway. For me, writing and playing are a form of therapy and my main creative outlet. Sometimes just writing a song is enough to help me work through something - recording it may not even be necessary.

If we're being a bit more idealistic, and all modern technology is magically available, I'd spend time exploring. There'd be a whole world out there and nobody else to look at it. That would be a tremendously freeing experience.

I'm not really going to worry about whether there are eyes to see or ears to hear after I'm gone, because they'd already be gone by the time I'm the last one left. But I'd probably take a chance on there being some future beings that would stumble along eons later. On that chance, I'd do what I could to leave some sort of mark. Whether they'd be able to interpret or perceive it is another matter entirely. Choosing the medium of communication would probably be a challenge in itself.

A bit more realistically, if I'm the only one left, I'll probably be spending my time maintaining shelter, finding food, and generally surviving. But that's not what you're asking.
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 11:14:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spaceduck

This is a great question, one I've wrestled with on & off for decades. I'll even ask something slightly more realistic: What would you do if no living creature could hear/understand your music? I'm sure that's a feeling we've all encountered once or twice.

My answer is that I would shut down, pack up the show, unplug the microphones and stop doing music. To me, music is foremost a form of communication; communication by definition must have at least 2 parties, a transmitter & a receiver. So if there's no receiver, it would be the same as a radio station broadcasting to a planet without radios. Pointless.

I realize that some people do music for themselves alone. This would be the only logical argument to continue creating music in a void. I once thought I could do this, but I've realized that my enjoyment of my own music is always hinged on how well I think it communicates a point. Again, if there is no communication then my music is completely inert.

I'd better stop thinking too hard about this. Last time I ended up quitting music for 8 years.

Yeah + 1 mate.Music is is nothing without people.Its about the group and always has been me thinks.
    I think if I was the only living dude left,theres a good chance too that I would get extremly high and begin to speak to Mr Teapot and Mrs Kettle.I guess we're just not built to exist alone....unless you're Morrisey ofcourse,but he's a totally differant bucket of fish altogether.
    Interesting thread lol
    Kev

Spaceduck
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 11:39:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kev11111111111111

Music is is nothing without people.Its about the group and always has been me thinks.
    I think if I was the only living dude left,theres a good chance too that I would get extremly high and begin to speak to Mr Teapot and Mrs Kettle.

LMAO! I spent a winter stuck in Quebec with no outside communication and duuuuuude, Mr & Mrs T & K were my best buddies! I also wrote one of my best songs ever, but that was inspired by the idea that I'd return to the real world and share it. But you said it, human beings are not built to exist alone. If I were truly the last living creature in the universe--no martians, no future civilizations, not even a plant left to talk to, then I'd say the show's over. Time to get wasted on peyote and build a time machine

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 12:05:54 (permalink)
    I'm a solipsist; I already thought I was the last living creature in the universe, and all of you were simply extensions of my own consiousness.

For those who claim to be making their music entirely for themselves: were that true you would never post or publish your music for others to hear. While i make music for my own pleasure, it would certainly be disappointing not to be able to share it with friends, even if they DON"T like it.

But were I the last living being, I guess it wouldn't matter, would it. After my demise, there would be no one to listen or mourn. The universe would cease to exist.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 12:12:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spaceduck

ORIGINAL: kev11111111111111

Music is is nothing without people.Its about the group and always has been me thinks.
    I think if I was the only living dude left,theres a good chance too that I would get extremly high and begin to speak to Mr Teapot and Mrs Kettle.

LMAO! I spent a winter stuck in Quebec with no outside communication and duuuuuude, Mr & Mrs T & K were my best buddies! I also wrote one of my best songs ever, but that was inspired by the idea that I'd return to the real world and share it. But you said it, human beings are not built to exist alone. If I were truly the last living creature in the universe--no martians, no future civilizations, not even a plant left to talk to, then I'd say the show's over. Time to get wasted on peyote and build a time machine

Aye man !
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 12:18:13 (permalink)
    The Universe will keep buggering on long after people have disappeared from the landscape, but if she needs another blip of conscious life for whatever reason, no doubt she'll make it.

--kwgm
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 13:31:12 (permalink)
    What would you do and how would you feel if you were the last living creature in the universe?

I'd steal all of Eric Clapton's guitars and I'd not be remorseful about it.

I'd locate all the <remaining> gasoline supplies and power generators.

I'd string together all the Marshall stacks I could, power them up and play the lamest version of Sunshine of Your Love and then I'd smile.
    post edited by bapu - 2008/09/17 13:54:54
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 13:49:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kwgm

The Universe will keep buggering on long after people have disappeared from the landscape, but if she needs another blip of conscious life for whatever reason, no doubt she'll make it.

Exactly... the only reason humans are here is because the earth needed plastic and couldn't figure out how to make it.. LOL !
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 13:55:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey

Exactly... the only reason humans are here is because the earth needed plastic and couldn't figure out how to make it.. LOL !

Sort of like a Trojan for the earth?
    DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 13:58:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tls11823

I'm not really going to worry about whether there are eyes to see or ears to hear after I'm gone, because they'd already be gone by the time I'm the last one left. But I'd probably take a chance on there being some future beings that would stumble along eons later. On that chance, I'd do what I could to leave some sort of mark. Whether they'd be able to interpret or perceive it is another matter entirely. Choosing the medium of communication would probably be a challenge in itself.

This took me back to "Rush 2112". Great album great story.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 14:06:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

Sort of like a Trojan for the earth?

No more like it needed stabilize the soil and the animals just didn't produce a wide enough variety of trash.

It also needed a shorter climate change cycle to keep things refreshed, there were not enough volcanoes scheduled to get the job done, you can't count on impacts (too many variables there...) so,.. creatures that build stuff that belch out carbon was the only way to get it done.
    aaronk
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 14:12:25 (permalink)
    I realize that some people do music for themselves alone.

This is known as "maestro-bation."
    Spaceduck
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 16:36:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chefmike8888

This took me back to "Rush 2112". Great album great story.

I was thinking of that, too. Correct me if I'm wrong, in a nutshell...
    In a time where there is no music, a kid finds a lyre and starts playing it. Overjoyed, he takes it to the world to share his music. No one "gets it". The kid is ridiculed & cast out. Kid runs off to a cave and basically dies (suicide? "I don't think I can carry on this cold and empty life / My spirits are low in depths of despair / My lifeblood spills over..."). A short time later the liberators of the Solar Federation arrive... D'OH!!!

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 16:39:32 (permalink)

Haha the best answer so far
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 16:40:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aaronk

I realize that some people do music for themselves alone.

This is known as "maestro-bation."

Arghhh Oh my God that was terrible
    bobr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 17:45:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DreamzCatcher

Something to think about: after you (the last living creature) will die...a sound won't be a sound because there won't be ears to hear it, there won't be colors because there won't be eyes to see it, Einstein discoveries won't matter at all and so on...
    think about it in depth, this is very deep question with lots of aspects, maybe it can tell you something about who you are.

I do not believe that just because there are no ears to hear, no eyess to see, no mouth to taste, no nose to smell, no skin to touch, no mind to think that colors, smells, visions, sounds and the physical properties that exist, the laws of physics would no longer exist. A sound is always a sound.
    post edited by bobr - 2008/09/20 00:09:10
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 18:49:12 (permalink)
    When you say "last living creature", does this include plants? If so, I would not think too much about it as I will soon be dead from starvation, oxygen depletion.

However, if the plants are still kicking, and my life would still be possible, I suspect I would eventually go insane. Do not know if I would commit suicide or not... the loneliness would be so extreme as to make any sort of life intolerable. This assumes I know I am the last living creature.

Would I continue to make music? I doubt it. As others have pointed out, I make music not for myself, but for the enjoyment of others (not that others necessarily enjoy what I make, but that is the goal). I would probably listen to a lot (clean out the CD stores) as that might help stave off the extreme loneliness, but probably not for long.

As I am the last living creature in the universe, there would be little point in keeping records or logs, as there would be nobody who would ever read them. I suspect I would become a hedonist in a massive way. The only thing I would have would be what ever little pleasures I could derive from whats left. I would move somewhere warm, let my hair and beard grow and spend my days naked on a beach somewhere (I do not know about the rest of you but I hate having to wear clothes).

But, in all honesty, I would probably kill myself in the off chance there actually is some sort of life after death. I think God would understand. Things would be different if there was even one other person (preferably female and cute ). With one other person (female) I would probably fair well, as long as I could still reproduce.

If I did not know I was the last creature, I would probably spend my life searching for others, making due the best I can with what's left. I suspect all I would need to carry on and die of old age, is hope. Hope that I will find one other.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    BluesMeister
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 22:13:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spacey

Can we wonder if a G triad with an A bass is really an A11?

No it's not.
    G/A = AGBD
    A11=AC#EGD

BluesMeister
    5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
    Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
    Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
    Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
    Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
    ara
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 346
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 22:48:23 (permalink)
    when the music is right and just and good it is a triumph and a gift and do we think we have any more purpose than the ants who march in a line, nay if one is called to make music, do so to your utmost and follow your line even if it seem that you are the last Ara www.aratunes.us
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/17 23:39:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DreamzCatcher

Excellent question:
    First, DreamZ, this is impossible from a biological perspective. Creatures (E-Coli, bacteria, etc.) must exist for you and I to be alive. Even your immune system contains hosts of 'creatures' (antibodies, lymphocytes, etc.) that must remain alive within you.

Also, when you state "creature," you may imply ID (a creator) ... as many musicians and artists unconsciously do (though most of us seem too insecure to admit). So I'm not really alone, am I DreamZ? ... unless I force myself to disbelieve in an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creation ... I try to speak as an honest scientist, looking at the creation in broad terms. ... not hiding the evidence of an awesome creation.

Of course the moment I place a limit on creation-design, my dark-side is lying ...

So methinks you imply: "You are the last living soul ... sustained by a redeeming creation (and/or by Christ outside this redeeming cosmos)

To be sure, Its not good for man to be alone. I would be in a state of shock and horror. Then, I'd likely desperately condemn my sins and desperately wait for redeeming love to reach me from what is left in the creation and from the Lord, if I'm given such grace.

Some folks do well enough, completely alone in the wilderness ... with no one to talk to, per se.
    Others fall into cursed solitary confinement of various sorts. Many have been ship-wrecked, cast-aways, and such.

Doubtless, the days would be spent praying and/or listening for God or someone to draw near ... to afford comfort in that day, to demonstrate reality of a better life in Heaven.

I was hoping Herb would chime in, to help clear the clouds, here.
    post edited by Philip - 2008/09/17 23:43:52

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Spaceduck
    RE: Theory: You are the last living creature in the universe! 2008/09/18 08:18:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

When you say "last living creature", does this include plants? If so, I would not think too much about it as I will soon be dead from starvation, oxygen depletion.

However, if the plants are still kicking, and my life would still be possible, I suspect I would eventually go insane. Do not know if I would commit suicide or not... the loneliness would be so extreme as to make any sort of life intolerable. This assumes I know I am the last living creature.

Would I continue to make music? I doubt it. As others have pointed out, I make music not for myself, but for the enjoyment of others (not that others necessarily enjoy what I make, but that is the goal). I would probably listen to a lot (clean out the CD stores) as that might help stave off the extreme loneliness, but probably not for long.

You know, I think plants... even a single dandelion... would be enough to keep me going. Ever read that children's book The Little Prince about the kid who lives alone on an asteroid with a flower? The flower becomes his entire reason for living--the encapsulation of all his love, hope, passion and dreams. I guess you could argue that that is insanity, but I could totally see myself singing & playing guitar to a plant if things got so desperate.

They say plants thrive when you talk to them. I'd probably make it my life's research to see how they react to different types of music. Anything to pass the time, I guess

ORIGINAL: Philip
    First, DreamZ, this is impossible from a biological perspective. Creatures (E-Coli, bacteria, etc.) must exist for you and I to be alive. Even your immune system contains hosts of 'creatures' (antibodies, lymphocytes, etc.) that must remain alive within you.

Brilliant thought. To say nothing of external bacteria, what about the very blood cells in your own body? Are they not living organisms? Honestly, this would be enough to give me the strength to continue. If so much as a single red blood cell exists under my care, then who am I to pull the plug? Each of us is a universe. Just because the outer universe goes kaput, there's an inner universe that still depends on us. Who knows, maybe they (blood cells, bacteria, atomic & subatomic particles) even react to music.

ORIGINAL: Philip
    Also, when you state "creature," you may imply ID (a creator) ... as many musicians and artists unconsciously do (though most of us seem too insecure to admit). So I'm not really alone, am I DreamZ? ... unless I force myself to disbelieve in an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creation ... I try to speak as an honest scientist, looking at the creation in broad terms. ... not hiding the evidence of an awesome creation.

Here's where you lose me. This is a touchy subject, because everyone has their own faith, but I just wanted to say that the ideas of omnipotence/omniscience are entirely independent of the event of the universe's creation. The universe was indeed created by something or someone--that much is obvious (in a cogito ergo sum sorta way). But aside from faith, there is no logical or scientific rationale to assume that the force which created matter is also the same force that currently governs, maintains and, when necessary, destroys matter. In this respect, I think the Hindus echo my sentiment that there are (at minimum) 3 forces of universal existence: (1) Brahma - the creative force; (2) Vishnu - the preserving force; (3) Shiva - the destructive force.

Another logically & scientifically sound doctrine is the philosophy of Deism which, in a nutshell, admits that there is (or was) indeed a supreme force which created the universe; however this force is not necessarily omniscient. Some Deists believe that the current "supreme beings" are not the creators but rather "children of the creator". It's a possibility.

And this has gone wayyy too far already so I'll drop it right here! I neither embrace nor reject any philosophy. I'm just an observer in this cosmic threepenny opera.

Hey, but I just wanted to toss in this last idea, steering this back on topic...

If you are truly the last living being in the universe
    then you are, by definition, the supreme being in the universe
    and you are, by definition, "God"
    Helluva job to inherit.
    post edited by Spaceduck - 2008/09/18 08:36:16

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1