ThinkPad T61p Laptop for Starting DAW Use?

Author
AVTechman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
2011/02/07 05:23:57 (permalink)

ThinkPad T61p Laptop for Starting DAW Use?

I am currently looking at an IBM ThinkPad T61p model laptop that a good friend of mine plans to sell to me once the company she works for issues them their newer laptops. Since I know these are business-grade laptops they are pretty reliable from what I have seen and read about.

Based on the specs it is 64-bit capable so I do have the option to install Win7 64-bit if I wanted to. For those who are familiar with this type of laptop I would like to know if it will be suitable for my starting DAW. I also want to resume learning my video editing skills so I may look into doing a dual-boot configuration to separate the operations. I have done some reading on Firewire and how that is a problem on most laptops (unless you have the TI chipset) but that is a moot issue for me since I have the EMU-1616m and that uses the Cardbus slot.

I plan to get Sonar 8 (haven't been able to locate the 8.5 version) and have already ordered from Amazon Scott's book 'Sonar 8 Power!' so that should be good for the most part to get me started.

My old P4 laptop I plan to give away to my dad since he doesn't have a computer at all to use and I will have the benefit to make a light upgrade to the Core Duo processor. It will be quite sometime before I can set up a home studio for myself (both audio and video work) and build the corresponding PC's to handle the separate tasks. Since I just moved to Michigan almost two months ago I am staying with a friend until I get my own place so for the time being I can educate myself and teach myself the art of making music until things fall into place. I can always (and will eventually) upgrade later.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

2 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:ThinkPad T61p Laptop for Starting DAW Use? 2011/02/07 08:40:46 (permalink)
    IBM sold their PC business to Lenovo at least 5 years ago (and maybe more).  If it's an "IBM" it's an "old" system and probably only Windows XP compatible at best. 

I would rethink an older "business" laptop for a DAW.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    AVTechman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:ThinkPad T61p Laptop for Starting DAW Use? 2011/02/09 04:30:31 (permalink)
    Actually now that I have been thnking about it, I may have to try to get a laptop that has the Cardbus interface, since the EMU 1616M is the audio interface that I have. Since the newer laptops no longer have that slot, its going to be difficult for me to do any recording with a system without the needed slot. 

I have the PCI adapter for the Cardbus for the desktop, but since I have moved recently and need to build a new PC its pretty much idle right now. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1