This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 11:46:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

Those other forum's mother's wear army boots!!

This guy wears a flower pot.
Devo beat him to it.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 11:52:25 (permalink)

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 13:08:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pianodano

Sony got me way back in 1992 with a Handicam. I sure you remeber the commercial with Steveie Wonder walking doen the street. $1200.00 bascially stolen from my family for a product that they must have known that would be defective. I made a total of 3 hi 8 tapes brfore the ccd died a couple years later. Absolutely not repairable. Sony lost me as a customer forever.

A year or so year back, I had a Cannon camera that I had bought four years prior have it's ccd failure. The camera was out of warranty. Didn't matter at all to Cannon. They replaced the camera with a new and better quality camera without such much as a question asked other than where and the date I bought it.

It's the little thing that makes the difference, I'm sure Sony products are fantastic but my experience with their customer services like you, has turned me off them for good. A little bit of goodwill and common sense go a long, long way.
garrigus
  • Total Posts : 8599
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 14:05:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jose7822
I've been around Sony electronics ALL my life and NEVER had any problems with ANY of them. Currently, we have 3 TV's, a PS3, a Mini-Disc Player, and a Home Theater System all from Sony and all of them are still working. Everything is at least 3 years old (except for the PS3) and none of them have broken or had playback issues. All of that doesn't account for the countless of other TVs and such electronics from Sony that we've had and have not broken in the past. I guess I'm lucky!

Jose,

How are you liking the PS3? I think it's the best game system I've owned so far. Love all the great games and the Blu-ray movies are excellent.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
CucamongaBlues
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 16:13:17 (permalink)
We bought the original 60gb version. It's been awesome! It's what introduced me to SACD and surround sound music. It's why I bought the Producer edition of Sonar. Since then I also bought a surround sound capable audio interface, as well as, a DVD player that handles SACD and DVD-Audio. When it comes to music in 5.1, even my junk recordings sound good.

Find Cucamonga Blues on iTunes! 

http://itunes.apple.com/u...d413707686?i=413707781

My music is also featured in the Kenoku game for the iPad!
http://itunes.apple.com/u...-free/id534870121?mt=8

maxsax
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 16:15:43 (permalink)
Could this thread be renamed Sony please?

http://www.saxatronica.co.uk/
http://www.martinsharpe.com/

Q660, Asus P5K SE, 2 Gig RAM, Windows 8 Pro 32bit RME 9632 ASIO X2A
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 16:22:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

These guys ARE Flowerpots..

Ahh, that's why we all grew up as well-balanced individuals.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Jose7822
  • Total Posts : 10031
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 16:59:08 (permalink)
Hey Scott,

I'm loving it more everyday. I bought the 40 GB version (with the 65nm chip) back in June '08 for two main reasons:

1- It's the cheapest/best Blue Ray player anyone can buy right now (besides the fact that you can play video games and do other stuff you can with a computer, not excluding the installation of any OS on it).

2- Metal Gear Solid 4/Metal Gear Online 2 (best graphics and game so far).

If you've got a PS3 and not own this game you're missing out BIG time. The single player is just amazingly well done with a lot of attention to detail, and the story is the best of ANY video game I've played. The multiplayer can be somewhat disappointing because of glitchers (nothing new there) and because of lag (most people have bad connection). But, if you're part of a clan, the online can be very fun and challenging. My main character (you can have up to seven I think) is a level 11 Water Bear and I've been playing this game for months (about 4 months). To put it under perspective, the highest rank one can achieve is a level 22 Fox Hound (see my avatar). But the highest I've seen so far is level 14 Fox Hound!!! Only people who glitch (and probably those crazy japanese ones) have gone closest to the highest level but I haven't seen it in the US servers. That's how hard it is. Anyways, if you like that type of game then MGS4 is the one (even if you don't like the online version). It has LOTS of replay value too so you won't get bored once you beat it.

By the way, have you tried Playstation HOME yet? They took forever to deliver it but it's an amazing 3D virtual world. I was bowling with a friend of mine just the other night and it almost felt like hanging out with him in real life (maybe I need to get out more lol). Anyways, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. I think it is a great piece of hardware. Which games are you playing?

Take care!

lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 17:17:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: nprime

Well. I hate to be the contrarian here...but I have a Sony TV and VCR from 1986 that are both still in perfect working order. Also had a Sony multi-disc CD player that got used for 8 hours every day at the office for almost ten years before it died.

Me too.

Ok, I've had good AND bad experiences with Sony:

My Sony MDR-V600 headphones, purchased in 1999, are EXCELLENT, and sound fantastic.

My Sony MDR-V600 headphones, purchased in 2008, are crap, and sound terrible.

I had a Sony A/V Receiver: In the shop three times in 6 months because once you shut it off, there was no guarantee it would turn back on for more than 9-10 seconds. Finally just accepted it was a crap shoot, and left it on constantly. Only time there was an issue was if the power went out... which would then be followed by 20 minutes of pressing Power, cursing, pressing Power, cursing, rinse, lather, repeat, until it stayed on.

Sony 200-disc DVD changer: Purchased in 2000, still going strong at my buddy's house. I gave it to him 3 years ago. At one point, it spun CD's 24/7, for almost a year. Great unit.

Bought another Sony A/V receiver. Worked perfectly. Still working at someone else's house, and it's 3 or 4 years old.

Sony Walkman CD: It took three years of HARD use to wear out the first one, the 2nd was stolen. Wish I still had it.

Sony Laptop: Friend bought it and decided to upgrade the OS from Win98 to WinXP. Purchased WinXP Pro, and began the install. Couldn't find drivers and popped on the Sony tech site. Two hours later, after being told by Sony that it was illegal to upgrade the OS, I found a 3rd party site that provided all drivers. They hadn't bothered to release them to the public. In order to upgrade the laptop you were supposed to pay THEM, at a service center, to do the upgrade. Cost? $349, on a $250 laptop. Nice.

So, as with just about any company out there, Sony has it's good points, and it's bad. I've found them to be fairly non-responsive to issues, but if your gear works, it just WORKS.

Kinda like Behringer, actually.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
Arglebargle
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 17:24:18 (permalink)
I hate Sony with all of my heart.

Jose7822
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 17:39:18 (permalink)
Oh yeah! I forgot to add my Sony headphones to the list. My first pair was actually the famous MDR-7506 which I gave to a friend because the pads went bad (a $12 USD replacement). Now I use a pair of MDR-V900HD which sound a little top heavy but still good. But the first pair lasted me almost 10 years and all they had were worn out pads.
Clydewinder
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 941
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 17:42:12 (permalink)
Anyone who got assaulted with sony's DRM rootkit is likely to be much more hostile toward them in general. besides that, i don't have any sony hardware that works anymore except a pair of headphones held together with hot glue.

The Poodle Chews It.

Cromberger
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 19:02:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Cal

ORIGINAL: Rbh

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

Those other forum's mother's wear army boots!!

hmmmm... I thought their mother were Hamsters and their Fathers smelt of elder berries. This is a most informative forum after all.

He's not the messiah.... he's a very naughty boy

Right idea, Cal, wrong movie, I think. ;>) Therefore, I fart in your general direction, you silly English kenniggitt...... ;>)

All said in the spirit of good humor, no offense of any kind intended. I just love those Monty Python films.......

Best regards,
Bill

Edited to correct quote from "M.P. and the Holy Grail".
post edited by Cromberger - 2008/12/17 19:05:41

Sonar Platinum
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Studio Cat DAW
Intel I-950 Processor
6 Gigs RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
Mackie HR824 Monitors
noldar12
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1075
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 22:47:31 (permalink)
IIRC, a while ago, the EU banned the use of lead solder in most electronics, concerned over the problem of lead in the environment. A lot of manufacturers have gone to using non-lead solder for consumer electronics as a result of that ruling. While lead solder is very stable, non-lead solder is not, and over time can develop feelers that will short out boards/etc. I vaguely recall Manley as one high end recording related electronics company trying to fight that change in the EU because of the possible problems that change would cause with high end electronic gear.

Jim
MesaDCLP
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/17 23:20:03 (permalink)
If it hasn't been said before, this forum is so open to all opinions, and a wealth of knowledge can be found for all users here, new and long-time.

This forum is a blessing.

That is all. Thanks.
Taneat
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/18 02:00:09 (permalink)
While we're Sony bashing: my experience with their hardware has been ok tho I generally find their amplification/speakers on the bright/harsh side. PS3 is a great system but the interface for file management (I put in a big HDD hoping to use it as a multimedia file server/player) is unusable and many media files, which play in most other machines, are unrecognised.

BUT my biggest bugbear, has anyone noticed that in any format war, one company sits proudly opposite the original spec?
I'm thinking BetaMax, SACD, Blu-ray, Memory stick without trying too hard. (and the PS3 has a bluetooth remote so forget using a universal one).

Just arrogant in my opinion.
Craig
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/18 10:37:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Taneat
BUT my biggest bugbear, has anyone noticed that in any format war, one company sits proudly opposite the original spec?
I'm thinking BetaMax, SACD, Blu-ray, Memory stick without trying too hard. (and the PS3 has a bluetooth remote so forget using a universal one).

Just arrogant in my opinion.
Craig

I totally agree.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 05:27:41 (permalink)
Lexmark had the most expensive ink known to man
As Lego is the most expensive injection moulded plastic, perhaps?
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 10:20:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ChristopherM
Lexmark had the most expensive ink known to man
As Lego is the most expensive injection moulded plastic, perhaps?

True... but ink cartridges are effectively one-time use products... Lego models on the other hand can be used for years then resold on eBay for incredible returns, especially if it's an older hard-to-find item and assuming it's in good shape. And if it's still in the original unopened box, you can get like 2x or 3x the original purchase price. Seriously, check out some of the ebay auctions, it's crazy... this model sold for ~$100 US in 2003, and just sold for a cool $300 2 minutes ago...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400010521441&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D400010521441%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1

But... yeah... the Lego pricing is way crazy...
garrigus
  • Total Posts : 8599
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 10:45:49 (permalink)

Hey Scott,

I'm loving it more everyday. I bought the 40 GB version (with the 65nm chip) back in June '08 for two main reasons:

1- It's the cheapest/best Blue Ray player anyone can buy right now (besides the fact that you can play video games and do other stuff you can with a computer, not excluding the installation of any OS on it).

By the way, have you tried Playstation HOME yet? They took forever to deliver it but it's an amazing 3D virtual world. I was bowling with a friend of mine just the other night and it almost felt like hanging out with him in real life (maybe I need to get out more lol). Anyways, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. I think it is a great piece of hardware. Which games are you playing?

Take care!

Hey Jose,

I got one of the original 60GB models will all the trimmings... media card reader, Wi Fi, backward compatible with PS2 games (which was important since I have a huge collection).

Haven't tried MGS4... maybe now I'll have to do that. In the meantime, I'm playing the latest Spiderman game and Tombraider: Underworld. Both are pretty good. I'm really waiting for God of War III. Love that game series. Played the first two, which were great.

Haven't tried Playstation HOME yet either... too much work and too little time, but it sounds cool. I'll definitely have to check it since it's only a click away with the WiFi connection.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
space_cowboy
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 11:05:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

These guys ARE Flowerpots..

I will challenge
My Puppets
Against your puppets any day

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
space_cowboy
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 11:18:12 (permalink)
Try Dead Space. It is one of the best games I have ever seen for any platform.

ORIGINAL: garrigus

Hey Scott,

Take care!

Hey Jose,

I got one of the original 60GB models will all the trimmings... media card reader, Wi Fi, backward compatible with PS2 games (which was important since I have a huge collection).

Haven't tried MGS4... maybe now I'll have to do that. In the meantime, I'm playing the latest Spiderman game and Tombraider: Underworld. Both are pretty good. I'm really waiting for God of War III. Love that game series. Played the first two, which were great.

Haven't tried Playstation HOME yet either... too much work and too little time, but it sounds cool. I'll definitely have to check it since it's only a click away with the WiFi connection.

Scott

--

razor
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1557
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 12:23:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: maxsax

Could this thread be renamed Sony please?

I gave up on this post long ago...as soon as I saw the graphic of defecation, it was over for me...

Stephen Davis

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
ADK DAW - (out of business 2018)
Intel i7 4930K CPU
Core i7 SB-E MOBO
16 GB DDR3 RAM
7 TB Storage
Layla 3G SoundCard (11.5 ms Roundtrip Latency)
UAD-2 DSP
WaveLab 8 Pro 64-bit 
Sound Forge 10 Pro
Jose7822
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 15:23:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: garrigus

Hey Jose,

Scott

Scott,

I just remembered that there's a MGS4 demo available for download on PSN (Playstation Network) so you can try it before buying. The actual game is WAY more comprehensive (of course) as it took them a whole double-Blu Ray disk to fit it in (that's 50 GB of data!!!). The cool thing about double sided Blu Ray disks is that you don't have to turn them around like you do with double-sided DVD disks. Instead the data are stored in layers on one side of the disk, which makes it very convenient :-) But, give it a try and let me know what you think of it.

Yeah, God Of War III is one of the games I'm waiting for. That's gonna be sikk!! The other ones I'm waiting for are Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII Versus. As with any of the FF game series, the graphics are beautifully done and the stories seem interesting. Can't wait to play those.

Anyways, hope you have a great weekend.

Take care!
Jose7822
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 15:35:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Try Dead Space. It is one of the best games I have ever seen for any platform.

Too gross for my taste. Plus, I'm trying to avoid multiplatform games (unless they were ported from the PS3) because the graphics suffer a LOT. To me it makes no sense to have such a powerful hardware and not take advantage of it. The least common denominator is not an option for me (sorry XBox users, but it's the truth). The box might be able to play the same games as the PS3, but it just doesn't have the capacity of a Blu Ray disk (not even close). So I'm just sticking to PS3 exclusives even though they are not as abundant any more. I appreciate the suggestion though :-)

Take care!
kwgm
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 19:44:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: razor

My 'day job' is in IT, and I was ranting a little on a Dell forum because their printers (made by Lexmark) really (I mean) really suck. Within about 15 minutes I received a notice from the admin of the forum that my post had been deleted. I didn't swear and after the rant I did ask for advise--but it was still deleted by Dell Brother.

So, the next time you see a rant here, or a complaint there on the CW forum, realize there are other manufacturers that won't allow you to say anything negative about their products, and we are fortunate not to have that kind of censorship here...

That's this reporter's opinion...

Well, this regular knows a good forum when he sees one.

Years ago I hung out at the Cubase forum at Steinberg.com, where negative comments regarding the product are not tolerated. It doesn't matter if your comments are accurate or not. Negative posts simply disappear, and you'll lose your posting priv if you continue with this kind of heresy.

The attitude here is completely different -- Cakewalk works with their customers. Problems with the product are pursued and corrected. I've seen it happen again and again.

Eventually, this attitude will be the major factor behind Cakewalk's market dominance.

--kwgm
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: This Forum Doesn't Know How Lucky It Is! 2008/12/19 19:56:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kwgm

Eventually, this attitude will be the major factor behind Cakewalk's market dominance.

Kurt , I don't think that day will come for the simple reason the market is really splintered and divided up as it is. Even going back to ST days in 89 or whatever.. whether it was c-lab / cubase on st and people using bars and pipes on amiga.

partly how much budget people have and well what they are used to.

Yep their attitude is different from other things I use, but even things like geography come into it.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1