This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover)

Author
Colonel Sanders
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 112
2011/06/13 13:52:06 (permalink)

This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover)

Given all the responses pouring in on the tunes I post here, I just couldn't help but post another.

http://soundcloud.com/da-colonel/this-old-guitar-john-denver  

8 Replies Related Threads

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover) 2011/06/13 14:10:05 (permalink)
    Hello Colonel! It's funny just last night I was watching a show about John Denver on PBS. My wife is a big fan.

The guitar(s) sound nice. I would have them be more prominent in the mix.

As far as the vocals, I'll say you're not as good as John Denver but you're better than me. Parts of the vocals are pretty good and other parts you could probably do better. I'd do a few more takes and edit them together to get a track where all of the vocals are as good as the good parts on what you've got now.
    Colonel Sanders
    Re:This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover) 2011/06/13 14:33:22 (permalink)
    Thanks, Dave. The problem with the guitars it turns out, is this: I have a Rode stereo mic, and I recorded each guitar part to a stereo track.  I did not realize that when I panned each left and right, I was simply raising (lowering) the volume of one side of the stereo track, which unnecessarily thinned out the sound.  Now that I realize that, I can set about fixing it in Home Studio 7, and I will have more robust guitar parts panned around the stereo field.

Thanks for the comment on the vocals: my problem is that I insist on recording vocals and guitar simultaneously, and for those 2 or 3 times that I forget to keep singing into the mic, the sound really trails off.  Others (here and elsewhere) are urging me to record a scratch track, followed by guitar part only, followed by vocals only, which will allow me to redo the vocals until I "get it right."

But that's just the problem: I'll never get it as right as a want it, and I'll go batty trying!
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover) 2011/06/14 11:29:24 (permalink)
    Hi Steve, that's some lovely guitar playing, in stereo . Vocal is a bit uneven, but you can always redo them. For me a recording is a snapshot in time, this is how I sound at a certain point in time and I can always use it to work on my technique and do a new version later. If you keep trying to get it perfect you will go batty .

Greetings, Rik
    Colonel Sanders
    Re:This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover) 2011/06/14 11:47:50 (permalink)
    My vocals will never be "even," but this is the best I've been able to muster so far.  Recall that I play the guitar and sing simultaneously while recording, which requires me to have perfect mic technique (i.e., no looking down at my guitar).  I forget that sometimes, which is why you hear the levels drop off.

Maybe it's time to do the scratch track thing so I can record guitar and then vocals separately, which allows for multiple retakes.
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover) 2011/06/15 22:24:55 (permalink)
    Very nice guitar work.  Nice tribute.

What helps me vocally, is a few shots of my favorite whisky.  Not enough to get drunk, just enough to losen the vocal chords and lower the inhibition.  I'm a firm beliver in this.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Colonel Sanders
    Re:This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover) 2011/06/16 09:22:36 (permalink)
    d-

I can do that -- I don't even need an excuse!

CS
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover) 2011/06/16 13:22:26 (permalink)
    My days of singing 7 nights a week, were nearly 40 years ago.  Now I don't sing every day and that makes it tough.

I find that if drink whiskey with a little water, it relaxes me.  I turn the lights a little low in the studio to create some atmosphere, like you might find in a nightclub.  Obviously if you overdue the whiskey you're just making a problem, and I never approved  of "getting loaded" when playing a gig.  However, when I was gigging, my voice was in shape.

A slight buzz from the whiskey and the the right mood lighting allows me to really get into the vocal expression.   Then I take any difficult lines, which are many, and I set Sonar up to loop on that line.  And I sing it over and over until I feel I'm close.

Then I record the line, and listen to it.  I carefully scruitize every note and try to make the corrections needed.  Then I record it again, and listen again, until I get it.

The right amount of whiskey really helps in this process.  Beer is no good because it gums up the throat and makes you belch.  And of course never put soda pop in the whiskey because that will gum up your throat and make the whiskey taste like crap.

I find I have to work out my vocal lines, in just the same manner as I do guitar lines, but I need that extra relaxation and pracatice with vocals and I find whiskey helps.

If I was back to singing 7 nights a week, I would need nothing because my voice would be in shape.

But, at least for me, vocals take far more work than guitar, but in all fairness, I spend a lot more time practicing my guitar.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:This Old Guitar (John Denver Cover) 2011/06/18 15:32:11 (permalink)
    There are plenty of artists that record vox & acoustic at the same time and I think it contributes to the emotion/feel very effectively. Like all things, the more you work at it, the better it gets. I'd say keep playing with the mic positions and hold that pose when recording.

If you do the Whiskey route, make sure it's a good brand as the JD will burn a hole in yer tonsils!!

Pretty sounding acoustic..played very well.

Not to sound all 'furry like', but, I've always liked John Denver's music.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1