This Old Man

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
2011/02/09 21:02:32 (permalink)

This Old Man

Another piano piece, inspired when I thought of my dad thinking over his life.  I realize now I should have had more crazy moments in the piece.  Maybe I'll save that for another song.  Comments welcome.

This Old Man

35 Replies Related Threads

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 21:10:57 (permalink)
    yeah it actually has a little bit of "this old man in it" :-) That nick nack paddy wack song? That starts out, this old man? You do that riff in there a few times. This doesn't seem wild at all, more pensive and contemplative, not quite morose? But a little melancholic in places. It feels like it wants an orchestra... 
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/02/09 21:17:34

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Janet
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 21:26:10 (permalink)
    Um, that riff is there on purpose.  I thought it was clever.  :-) 

Yeah, I can hear an orchestra too.  Maybe I'll add that sometime.  And yeah, I'll have to do his wild side in another song I guess.  lol  I was obviously thinking contemplative when I wrote it. 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 21:56:51 (permalink)
    cool tune, janet.  great tribute to your dad!

well, I'm not fond of the "this old man" melody in it - I don't think it fits the rest of the song.

other than that it's really nice!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Janet
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 21:58:40 (permalink)
    Ha.  Well, so much for clever. :-) 

Thanks, though. :-)
    rockinrobby
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 22:40:59 (permalink)
    I thought it was clever :-) I wasn't sure if you planed it or not, I'm listening to it and I hear "this old man, he played one" :-) I thought it was pretty cool the way you snuck it in there.

BENZOFOG
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 22:53:31 (permalink)
    You make me want to get back into piano...I liked it alot.
    rockinrobby
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 22:59:38 (permalink)
    Janet tickles the ivories till milk shoots out of their little noses! She's helped me a lot with my continuing road to becoming a piano player. 

BENZOFOG
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 23:20:30 (permalink)
    LOL Lord! Well I was in piano lessons at 5 played up into college but thats another story...I just started touching the keys a few years ago I've got a couple of tunes I've messed with but I'm not going up against Janet....lol NO WAY!!!!
    rockinrobby
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 23:34:12 (permalink)
    yeah I'm not a "trained" pianist? But music comes pouring out of me like urine from a homeless man on the streets of Atlanta... I can't control it? And I've played "at" the piano since I was a kid? Now I'm a bit more serious about it... And with MIDI? Well, I believe "anyone" can play piano... There's no excuse really? And I'm getting to where I can call myself "a piano player" :-) And Janet has helped me somewhat. She gets frustrated with me, because she's tried to play for me on some of my stuff? But our styles are way different. What she does it excellent? But it's not what I hear on my stuff if you know what I mean? But we've done some killer colabs :-) And I hope we do more.

BENZOFOG
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/09 23:47:51 (permalink)
    lol dude!!! homeless man urinating good lord I just peed on my self lol
    RockingChair
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 01:11:24 (permalink)
    Janet

Another piano piece, inspired when I thought of my dad thinking over his life.  I realize now I should have had more crazy moments in the piece.  Maybe I'll save that for another song.  Comments welcome.

This Old Man

Dang, I almost forgot to hit the Tab button starting out because I was listening while replying, as I think your supposed to do? Oh well.

Anyway, you play feelings Janet and it shows, that's why your music speaks to everyone here.

Absolutely BRILLIANT AND GREAT!!!!! Very Heart Warming and inspirational!!!!!!!!!

Excellence at it's best = Janet's Music!!!!!!!!

Bobby

RockingChair
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 01:14:33 (permalink)
    rockinrobby

I thought it was clever :-) I wasn't sure if you planed it or not, I'm listening to it and I hear "this old man, he played one" :-) I thought it was pretty cool the way you snuck it in there.

Ok, you heard her first, I'll give ya that much, wanna flip a coin for her help on the next song? I call heads, but I'll warn ya I'm doing the flippin' and it's a two headed coin, you can flip me off later robby! GOSH DANG IT!

Just kidding with ya, WOW She's great on the piano isn't she!?

Bobby

Janet
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 07:50:49 (permalink)
    Robby, yeah, when I thought of the name of the song, that riff snuck in my head and I thought it might be cool to start it out with that.  The rest of it took forever to compose for some reason. 

Thanks, Benzo.  Glad you liked it.  Yeah, get back into piano...it's great fun. :-) 

Thanks Bobby.  You're a great cheerleader.  :-)   If it's any comfort, probably half the collabs I work on don't work out.
    Janet
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 08:24:29 (permalink)
    Robby...I've helped you??!  Since when did you ever listen to ME??!!  :-)
    patm300e
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 09:28:35 (permalink)
    I do hear This old man...But not enough to change anything.  Your playing flows with emotion.  This is nice! 

I like the expression at about 2:00 in.  Seems to get a little dark and apprehensive there like a change in mood, then resolves. 

I can't even play chop sticks on the piano.  I do a little guitar, a little bass.  My main instruments are drums and harmonica.  I have family that play guitars and bass so I have "access" to real musicians once I get an idea going.  But not actually being accomplished on any real instrument makes it hard to write songs...I even know a couple piano players like this guy...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/escape-from-reality/id418395885

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 10:07:05 (permalink)
    nice...I like the way you integrated  the nursery rhyme song in just a bit...

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 10:11:33 (permalink)
    Hi Janet,

Very nice tune!  If it weren't for the title the 'This Old Man' melody probably would have gone right over my head

The piano sounds great, as does your playing.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 10:34:21 (permalink)
    I get it, nice.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 12:54:02 (permalink)
    Hi Janet, from nice to charming to interesting to intriguing and now clever, what will be next?  Thought-provoking [sic] piece though, lots of different ideas in this. The only thing I don't like is that the last note of the "this old man" theme goes down, stop me if I'm getting to technical. Playing along on my guitar I thought it would be nice to play the last notes an octave up, don't know if that's even possible on piano ? 

Greetings, Rik

Purple Rhapsody
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 13:06:01 (permalink)
    Cool!

This is great. I love the nod to the 'This Old Man' nursery rhyme and it's impeccable played too.

The piece as a whole does a good job of dipping in and out of a few musical ideas, and I liked the feelings that were evoked in me as I listened along.

Thanks Janet!

Cheers,
    Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 13:22:49 (permalink)
    Wow Janet. I really liked this one. Not tentative at all. Very deliberate performance and writing with lots of ebbs and flows. Nice. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 15:44:21 (permalink)

WOW Janet I needed this last night while I was falling asleep instead of that new noise machine the arrived the other day .

You sure have some magic fingers on your ivory piano keys , very nice I really like this one .

Radio

bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 15:51:04 (permalink)
    This song is beautiful and so heartfelt. Thank you so much for sharing this! WOW

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Janet
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 17:34:50 (permalink)
    Thank you, Pat!  I'm listening to Matthew now.  He's quite good.  Thanks.  Sounds to me like you know enough instruments and music to write songs.  Keep working at it! :-) People often collab around here too. 

Thanks Herb.  I had considered doing something in a minor key when I came out of that part, but actually forgot about it when I sat down to play.  Either that, or just decided it didn't work right.  Glad you got it anyway. :-)

Thanks Gary.  Yeah, I tried to sneak it in there, but I guess I gave it away, didn't I?  lol

Thanks John!

Thanks, Rik.  Yeah, I tried to get a lot of things in here, depicting the roller-coaster ride that makes up most of our lives.  Like I said, it could definitely use even more changes if I really wanted to convey someone's whole life.  About going up instead of down--I had about a dozen ideas for what to do with this, which slowed me down for weeks.  I guess I had to land on something and I'm sure there's a reason I ended up on this one.  It could be because I was getting impatient to finish it. :-)  BUT, I could definitely do those last notes an octave higher.  I think there are one or two more available up there.  I'll try it.  Thanks!  :-)

Thanks Terry.  That's exactly what I wanted it to do.  And I had a little help from prv.  I basically played it all through, but then went back and changed a few notes around that I thought would sound better.  I tend to get in ruts with my left hand.  Hopefully as I keep composing and changing, my left hand will learn to play them that way. :-)

Thanks Tim. Glad you liked it. :-)

Thank you, Radio! You can let it put you to sleep tonight.  :-)

Thanks, Bill.  I'm glad you liked it. :-)
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/10 22:20:43 (permalink)
    Hi Janet, just listened to this. Way to pound those horse teeth sister! (Old 3 Stooges line.) :)

I could hear Cello's or some kind of quartet accompaniment in this, but not a full orchestra. Something smaller and more personal.

Very nice. :)

Bub.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 01:20:25 (permalink)

The only thing that I could think of that might be a crit would be at 1:05. At first I
    thought that it might be a clash of notes, but it might instead be a timing thing. It
    sounds like a flub or unintentional. There is something that the left and right hand
    are not together on. It seems that either changing what the left hand does (or) what
    the right hand does might clean that up.

The right hand is playing a quick little lick that seems like it isn't allowing the left
    hand to "fall in place". It seems there was something similar in another song of
    yours about the "16th notes? or something? Maybe if the right hand had only
    8th notes in it instead of that "one 16th note? Or the the left hand did something
    to where it didn't sound like it was trying to "keep up" maybe?

These next comments are what I'd call "just thinking" like "I wonder what
    this or that would sound like? One thing that I find when say using the guitar to
    play the melody of a song with "words" is that sometimes the "notes" might be
    a series of "the same note".

Lets say that there was a phrase that said "aint it a lovely day" and they were
    all G notes. Because of the phrasing, vowels, consonants, the (different) words
    etc. there "is" something different in all of the notes (even though) the note is the
    same for "all" of them. (with words that is)

Like your note choices starting 1:00 where there are several G notes. If there
    were "words" it wouldn't be noticeable that they were just that, all G notes.

An example:

I remember playing "somewhere over the rainbow" where I got to a certain place
    in the song was it the bridge? Right before that place where there are some
    diminished chords or something? that the melody "without words" seemed
    "repetitious". They weren't all the same notes (but) playing the melody without
    words sounded like a "siren" from one of those foreign country's, Italy? or
    somewhere like that.  "without words" I was left with no way to express, for
    lack of better words.

Anyway:

That makes me wonder if you sometimes "hear your songs" as a "song with
    words" in your mind. Like the section starting at 1:00. That would makes since
    to me as your songs could be easily be vocal songs with words. And very
    "good ones" I might add.

Looking at things from "that perspective" I'd say that anywhere in your
    writing where "you do" play a few of the "same" notes that I see where
    your going and what you are doing and intend to do. Maybe it even makes
    me visualize your melodies as a vocal song and the more I think about that as
    opposed to wondering if a section like that might need more variation in the
    choice of notes in a particular section.

So I have no "conclusion" as to whether or not your playing sections where
    there are several of the same notes, only that when I first hear a song of
    yours that i wonder if it needs to be more melodic in those sections.

Its absolutely "stunning" how you at about half way through the song start
    getting more expressive  and even more so toward the end. Not only very
    good at the technical and skill level of the playing but also the emotional
    aspect of the way that it musically expresses itself.

At 4:05 when you strike that chord I would suggest that you sustain it untill
    you play that little lick that follows and also sustain the ending of that lick at
    4:07. At 4:17 where you play that B note it has an echo sound like you strike
    the B note and it echo's itself. I think that second B note being taken out would
    make that sound more smooth.

Janet your performance on this is absolutely amazing. Not to say that "all" of
    your stuff isn't awesome because it, is but on this you've reached "even higher".
    this is just stunning.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 06:32:27 (permalink)
    Great job! Some orchestral strings would be nice in there for sure.

String Jammer
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 06:44:28 (permalink)
    I like this a lot.

I really like what you are doing with your left hand.

I am a big fan of using a motif and then expanding on it. It sounds exactly like "This Old Man" to my ear.

Nice job.

Personally, I enjoy the solo piano treatment and think you hit the mark with this song.

Great stuff.

best regards,
    mike

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:This Old Man 2011/02/11 06:55:35 (permalink)
    great stuff as ever Janet.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1