This is how I'd like the Playlist to work.

Author
JCody
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 227
2015/05/29 15:47:36 (permalink)
5 (1)

This is how I'd like the Playlist to work.

I use the playlist every day in live theatrical productions. It has been the heart of our tech, running the music, mixing console, lights and projections. It has worked on and off through its different iterations. "Cambridge" is the last one that worked properly and is where we'll stay until it starts working as well again. Since it has been moved to a separate window it has lost it's ability to show the scroll line, and load times for the next song are too long. If it would just work like it does in "Cambridge" I'd be happy.
Most people doing tech in a live theatre venue use "Q-Lab". What I love about using Sonar in this setting is the ability to edit and fix things within the program as well as record if need be. The visual aspect of seeing where you are in the song and the ability to see the upcoming triggers on the track view make this a great product for live shows. The Playlist feature is what makes this whole thing work. The Following is what I'd like to see the playlist do.
1. Load and play each song in the order you specify with its current "no delay" "wait for keypress" and "wait x # of seconds" options. (Currently does this)
2. Be able to play the next song "immediately" when the "N" key is pressed. (there is currently a pause)
3. Be able to see the scroll line moving through the song while it is playing. (it is currently invisible on all but the first song)
4. NEW FEATURE. This would really be cool. The ability to play the next song "on top" of the currently playing one. Let's say you have a scene where it is raining and you're playing the rain sound effect and you need to play a thunder clap on cue. You would want the rain to continue while the thunder sound is playing. You get the idea. Q-Lab currently does this very well.
5. NEW FEATURE. The ability to disable the asterisk "*" that appears in songs playing in the playlist if a change is made while the playlist is on. This is to avoid the stacking up of songs in the background and thus slowing down the computer.
6. Make it fast, responsive, and bulletproof. (The Cambridge version is pretty close but could improve)
I love Cakewalk, it's a great product. I would love to see it become a fantastic tool for live productions as well. Polishing the Playlist would do just that!

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1