This old man needs help...

Author
tbosco
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 903
2011/05/05 10:13:19 (permalink)

This old man needs help...

Hi all,

I'm so "old-school" it's pathetic... but recently I have become interested in the techniques of what I think is called "Beat Production", and have a few questions... hopefully someone here can help me. In addition to the great (but limited number) of loops in SONAR X1, I purchased a 14-DVD set of "samples" (wave format files) that I ultimately want to use in song production. So here are my questions:

1. What is the difference between a loop and a sample?
2. What are the differences between REX, ACID and WAV files, and what would I do with each? Are they Software specific?
3. Is Beat Production the same as "Groove Sequencing"?
4. SONAR has a "Loop Construction module that seems to have a lot of horsepower... is there a page or helpfile describing details on how to use it?
5. How does the Matrix View fit into the grand scheme of things?
6. Why does the wave in a SONAR audio track change timing (tempo) if I right click "groove sequencing loop" on the wave?
7. Specifically... most of my waves are not the correct pitch or tempo for my song... can't they be changed somehow with all this software, especially SONAR? For instance, there is a great sax lick at 134 BPM in the key of A on my Loop Samples DVD. I need it to be at 120 BPM in the key of G. Is it possible to alter it, or am I out of luck and have to go find a lick that matches my criteria?

I know that's a lot of questions, so if anyone knows a website they can point me to for answers or a tutorial, that would be great!!! I've got all this stuff, and not sure how to use it!!! LOL

Thanks guys!

Tony

17 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/05 10:36:24 (permalink)
    Jeez, that is a whole kettle of fish.

A sample is just a digital piece of sound.  Usually it refers to a single sound - like a drum hit.  Or a piano keystroke.  These "samples"  can be organized within a sampler (sample synth) to play back when you hit the key (or fire the midi note).  Usually there are multisamples across the keyboard, so one note doesn't get shorter as you go up the keyboard, even tho it is in tune.  A loop usually refers to a series of notes, or different instruments playing a short piece.  Acid files are loops, but with the timing/pitchinfo imbeded into them.  You can have them keep the pitch and change the timing, or change the pitch while the timing stays the same.  Wav files are simply digital recordings.  They is what you manipulate in SONAR like tape or what you hear on a CD.  Rex files are kinda like ACID files, but are chopped up.  Usually a loop is arranged over a keyboard so you can "fire"  a note or hit (if it is drums).  For instance, you could have a blues riff as a Rex and "play" a different variation on the keyboard since each lick of the guitar is assigned to a different keyboard key.  Or a drum bit.

Loop construction allows SONAR to imbed ACID info into a loop.  It imports ACID files correctly.  Yes, there should be a section in the help files.  The Matrix lets you drag/importat wav files, audio loops and midi clips into a grid.  Hit play and it runs through the grid horizontally.  All the clips etc. vertically under trigger.  It is a loop sequencer and will play to the end of the matrix and can start again.

Use the groove clip function (double click on a sample) to open an audio file.  You can tell SONAR to apply the correct pitch/tempo to the sample and save it back into the project.

My suggestion is to look at the videos here at the Cake site, read the manual and then go through the tutorials.  If you are new to digital audio projection, a lot is different than tape, but the basics are the same.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    tbosco
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/05 12:43:12 (permalink)
    AT-  Thanks for the info my friend!  I'll have to look harder for the tutorials on this subject as I didn't have much luck firsttime through.
    AT
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/05 13:57:23 (permalink)
    If you are looking to get into "loop" style production the easiest thing to do is get your acid files.  Import them into a project.  SONAR will match the tempo for you.  Then roll them out.  Say you have a drum loop - always a good place to start.  4 measures.  Roll the clip out to 12 or 16 bars.  Then find a bass loop you like and works with the drums.  2 measures.  Roll it out to match.  You can play some riffs over them w/ midi or audio.  Say you do 4 bars of rhythm guitar, audio.  Record, trim and double click on it to turn it into a "groove clip."  It will then follow tempo changes or pitch changes - same as your prefab bass.    Now an organ part via a softsynth.  It is probably easiest if you turn it into audio, groove clip again.  8 bars, roll it out twice.  There are your rhythm tracks.  Say they are the verse.  Copy it and paste it twice.  Now you have section A of a pop song.  Reapeat the loop match process to do the Chorus or part B.  Copy the entire section A and paste at the end.  Now you have ABA.  Add a bridge, outro, intro whatever.  Then play your guitar for lead stuff live, piano, whatever over the entire recording.  Add vocals.   Volia.

The technique works well for electronic, rock, anything that repeats parts - which is most music styles.  When you get comfortable w/ groove clips (or acid files) you can go in and edit them internally to come up with variations.  Or add some drum hits for that live feel. 

Basically, it is somewhat like working with a band except without the players, which puts a lot of pressure on you to pick the right loops.  And your composition skills.

Hope this helps.  If you are old school it helps to have programmed drum machines.  But the groove clips are the key.  Just grab some loops and double click.  Play with variables to see how well it works (or not).  You'll get the hang of how it works for you.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/05 14:06:55 (permalink)
    its also great for song construction.i usualy write 10-15 riffs i then acidize then and put them in my own loop folder called "chuckeloops" i then drop different pieces of chuckeloops on the the canvas and start arranging them in different sequences untill i have my main song structure.i then like to use this a basis..i could probably sell it like it is..but i like my songs to sound human and not quantized riffs..i like every riff to have is own unique sause.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

tbosco
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/05 16:06:45 (permalink)
    Excellent info!!  One question... will SONAR "acidize" the clip or is that done in other software?  Still not quite sure how to "acidize".  And I am Googling this to find out as well, but no luck so far.
    Thanks again.

Tony
    AT
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/05 16:24:51 (permalink)
    Acid is SONY's name for it - it started w/ Sonic Foundry/SONY's Acid software.  Many sample/loop libraries come w/ ACId files which will slide right into SONAr as groove clips.  No need to fool with them. Groove Clips are just SONAR speak for the same process.  

Other libraries may come as WAV files.   To turn a wav file into an acidized Groove Clip double click on the wav.  A new page pops up with the loop highlighted.  Up at the top are different buttons for  tempo, pitch (some of these are included and automatic, other times they are in the name), etc.  Sonar will groove clip a wav, which involves slicing the loop into subdivisions of beats that can be dropped out expanded to fit the tempo.  It also lets the loop change pitch w/o changing the length, unlike tape (one old guy to another).  It ain't intuitive, but if you mess w/ groove clipping you'll hear what every button does.

Good luck!

tbosco
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/05 20:15:27 (permalink)
    Many thanks for the tips.  Now I feel like an idiot...  I own Scott Garrigus' SONAR 8 book (even though I use X1) and it has a whole chapter on this topic.

Tony

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/05 20:40:38 (permalink)
    Oh no. Not another Beatz producah.....

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

AT
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/05 21:24:34 (permalink)
    You will be assemilated with the Beatz borg.  Join the dark side, timidi.

@

tbosco
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/06 07:18:55 (permalink)
    No... not making "beatz".... just want to learn how to incorporate other media into my songs.   LOL

Cheers!
    timidi
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/06 20:31:34 (permalink)
    AT

You will be assemilated with the Beatz borg.  Join the dark side, timidi.

@

Actually. Could be the 'singer/songwriters of this generation. idunno. I just don't get it. 
    I guess a good beat is just another commodity that someone somewhere wants.
    I get like 5 friend requests a day on soundclik from guys like 'johnny beetz'....LOL.
    Maybe I'm missin the boat.

tbosco, I meant no disrespect. Just sayin.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

AT
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/07 02:34:35 (permalink)
    timidi,

yea, all those beat producers - I don't want to be there friend.  I think if you click no they just keep asking.

;-)

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/07 11:03:34 (permalink)
    timidi, you are not alone. The dark side beckons seductively, but be strong. The rebel alliance may be less visible these days but it is still alive, having merely gone underground after disappearing from the top 40.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    timidi
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/07 18:46:49 (permalink)
    Ah, hybernation Obi-wan,,,,,.

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/07 19:56:21 (permalink)
    And please, please, please keep pluralizing your nouns with an 's'', not a 'z'...
    Do what you like with your music, but just don't kill the grammar.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    AT
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/07 20:10:55 (permalink)
    Slugbaby,

I just thought he misspelled beets, some kind of vegetable hot ...

@

tbosco
    Re:This old man needs help... 2011/05/08 10:06:35 (permalink)
    LMAO--- y'all crack me up!  Hey... I'm a guitar player... so if there is a great sax lick out there somewhere that would fit nicely into one of my tunes, I probably oughta use it, cuz if I tried to blow a sax, it would at least scare all the critters outta my home for a few days.

And hey... I love beets.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1