This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but...

Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2014/07/18 18:16:26 (permalink)

This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but...

Anyone familiar with the new line of Yamaha MG mixers? 

As I mentioned recently, I've been looking for some kind of outboard channel strip that'd allow me to do some basic EQing and maybe, optionally, add a bit of compression on the way in.

For my needs I couldn't justify spending + $400-$500.

A quick visit to our nearest GC allowed me to spot those upgraded Yamaha MG mixers. It has an onboard single-knob compressor, which I'm not expecting much of. 3 bands of EQ and a High Pass filter.

I was going for the basic MG10 but for an extra $50, you get USB connectivity which can always be useful, and onboard DSP, which can be handy to add a bit of reverb when monitoring vocals.

For the same price, there's the Mackie VLZ 802. It has the advantage to have the low cut set at 100Hz - which is preferable but I guess I can work w/ the Yamaha's 80Hz if I make good use of the low shelf at 100Hz. Otherwise, it's rather basic by comparison.

Preamps aren't much of a concern.

In such cases, when it comes to budget gear, I usually pick the less-features packed item because it seems to me that there has to be some compromises in order to offer so much more for the same price.

In this case however, it's Yamaha. It's not a name that I usually associate with poor quality products, as they seem to have fairly good standards.

Thoughts?

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...

10 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/18 23:34:05 (permalink)
    Yamaha owns Line 6 now.

I know that doesn't help but I just like throw my knowledge around line a ping pong ball.
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/18 23:43:29 (permalink)
    bapu
    Yamaha owns Line 6 now.

I know that doesn't help but I just like throw my knowledge around line a ping pong ball.

Hey Bapu, bring that knowledge of yours over here for a moment...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Rain
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/19 00:10:48 (permalink)
    bapu
    Yamaha owns Line 6 now.

Rain
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/19 00:14:56 (permalink)
    I was this close to ordering but I think I'll just hold on a bit...

Besides Mackie, other contenders are/were a Joe Meek strip w/ an optical comp and EQ - but I really want something which will allow me to cut higher than 80Hz. But at $179, it was very tempting.

Or then a simple graphic EQ, like the ones by DBX or ART.

bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/19 00:18:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting that! I want to check those out

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Rain
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/19 00:47:51 (permalink)
    Then there's the Mackie ProFX. I'd somewhat assumed that those weren't fit for studio based on stuff I'd read ages ago about the VLZ line vs Mackie's live mixers. Nevertheless, upon further investigation, the Pro FX 8 looks very interesting - and it has the USB connectivity. Not to mention faders instead of knobs. 

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/20 11:08:22 (permalink)
    Hi,

http://www.pedrosena.com/studio.htm

Looks almost the same to me as the one in the picture, where I mix everything! MX something or other is mine.

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Rain
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/20 15:51:03 (permalink)
    Yup - that's basically the newest version of the same series of mixers.

At this point however, I'm probably going to go for the little Mackie ProFX. Among other things, I like the fact that it has a low cut at 100Hz rather than 80Hz, faders instead of knobs.

The Yamaha has onboard compression, but I wouldn't expect much of it, and furthermore, w/ a single knob, it's bound to be fairly limited in terms of usability. I already have "budget compression" in the form of a couple of cheap DBX rack units, anyway. I'd rather wait and grab a RNC later on if needed. 

Rain
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/22 14:26:06 (permalink)
    And luckily for me, I thought I'd think about it for another day or two before ordering.

Found out last night that the Mackie ProFX has a USB 1 port and will only do 16 Bit audio. EDIT - And so does the otherwise pretty awesome Allen & Heath ZED fx. :/

Of course, you have to dig deep to find the info - if not for a YouTube user review, I probably wouldn't have known until I received the unit. 

I may still end up with the Mackie because I'm not sure I'd use the USB feature. For anyone interested though, the Yamaha offers 24 Bit/192 Khz.
    post edited by Rain - 2014/07/22 18:17:59

Rain
    Re: This probably belongs in the Hardware forum, but... 2014/07/23 01:56:37 (permalink)
    Well, Mackie it'll be. 

The USB option was only a concern because I was looking for the simplest form of 2-way connectivity. With that out of the way, having taken the time to mentally reconfigure my set up and its cabling, and think of every possible scenario I could imagine, the Mackie emerged as the best option for me.

The Allen & Heat was very tempting, but a few things made the difference - Mackie has faders and a 18db low cut at 100Hz. The ZED has a gentler 6db one, and I prefer something steeper. 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1