This problem is MADDENING!

Author
visioninapark
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2014/04/07 11:11:35 (permalink)

This problem is MADDENING!

Hello, I am hoping someone here could help me and relieve my stress.  I currently use Sonar 6, and recently got a Behringer X32 compact as my new interface/console desk.  The recording aspect of things is going great, everything sounds amazing, but when I want to play back a track it doesn't always play, the cursor will glide through the track but no sound.  Every once in a while it works, it seems so random.... some days it plays immediately, some days it takes pushing play 4,5,6,7 times for actual sound.  It is incredible maddening.  My computer has the proper processing requirements, a considerable amount of RAM, and has never had problems like this before.  I have looked all over online, and even streamlined my computer even more (removing unwanted files, programs that might cause lag, took it off my home network etc...)  The problem is still happening.  It doesn't even seem to matter how many tracks are playing at once.  It could be an intricate song with 30 layers, or it could be a simple stereo pair.  The most aggravating part is how random it seems to be.  Anyone have any ideas?  The help would be greatly appreciated!

10 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/07 12:02:23 (permalink)
    Personally I wouldn't expect software made 8 years ago to work smoothly with a modern device like the X32. 
    You issue is driver related and you do not mention if you are running an up to date OS. I would imagine the x32 has no problems running in Widows 7 / 8 in 64 bit environment. 
    I do believe Sonar 6 is not stable enough in 64 bit environment. 
    Upgrade to X3 Studio. 
    http://www.store.cakewalk...ductid=10-CXSS3.00-30E

Face it a $2000 interface on obsolete software? For $99 dollars your problem will be solved. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2014/04/07 12:04:17

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

visioninapark
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/07 12:30:50 (permalink)
    Thank If that were the case, if the computer couldn't handle it, or if the software was a bad match, it wouldn't explain why it works amazingly most of the time.  Sonar 6 is a preference for me, I understand that it is old and has it flaws, I get that, but with the proper management, skill and caretaking, most any system could be aided into work.  When the board was installed into my studio, the technician/engineer who installed it, got everything up and working in no time, and in fact the only problem in the entire chain was this random playback issue.  We got all the updated drivers, the computer itself runs smooth and fast.  I wish I could explain the randomness of this problem.  I have gone a full day with no problems, sweet speed, no lag.  Then out of the blue it just starts being a pain in the ass.  It doesn't happen all the time.  It just seems incredibly temperamental. The bare minimum is running in the background on the computer.  I have a completely updated Windows operating system, everything meets all the requirements for the x32 to be engaged with my computer.  No problems elsewhere.  Trust me, I know enough about recording and computers to have tried EVERYTHING I can think of, scoured the internet, ran this by at least a half-dozen other recording engineers who have more invested in recording than the 30 years I have been, and none of them can make any sense out of it.  They even said, try going online to a forum, because they are stumped.  At this point it is up in the air.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/07 12:36:01 (permalink)
    Are the meters moving when the silent playback is running?
    "...some days it takes pushing play 4,5,6,7 times for actual sound". Pushing what?? Is there  controls for playback/recording in the Behringer, or are you clicking the transport bar or hitting the space bar? My first suspect is simply mechanical failure, thinking about the randomness. Usually, if a software works, it works, assuming the application is the same. like it is here (starting playback).. Mechanical contact can be totally random, now it clicks, now it doesn't.

I don't see any reason that SONAR 6 wouldn't work fluently in your system. I read every week here posts from people who are using even older versions with newish hardware, even Pro Audio from the nineties..

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    visioninapark
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/07 12:47:27 (permalink)
    Thanks Kalle, to answer your question, when the silent playback is going, the meters AREN'T moving.  There are two ways I operate the playback, either with the space bar, or actually using the mouse manually on the screen, both are random.  And both of those functions worked before adapting to this new x32 compact.  Never had these problems before that, and I was running the most primitive home situation before for ****s and giggles.

I know, this whole thing is so strange.  WE HAVE GHOSTS IN THE MACHINE!
    hahahhaha
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/07 13:20:45 (permalink)
    Sounds like the output port is not getting opened properly or possibly there's a clocking problem and the transport is just freewheeling. Whatever the case, it's likely a driver interoperability. Are you using ASIO driver mode? That would be preferred, but if it's not reliable try WDM.

It's quite possible that the driver and O/S are operating in a way that was not foreseeable when S6 was developed and tested, and that the only real solution is to upgrade. I don't believe S6 had the Minimize Driver State Changes option that might help address this, and there have been many other changes to the audio engine since then.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    visioninapark
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/07 13:30:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Brundlefly, Yes I am using ASIO driver mode, it is the most efficient way to go. To answer the other part of your post.  The guy that hooked it up has almost 40 years in recording knowledge, and runs a premier studio here in my area.  I trust his judgment fully and he has rifled through a million ideas on that front, everything is A-OK in his book.  He is just as baffled as me when it comes to this playback issue.  We are all pulling out our hair.

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/08 12:00:32 (permalink)
    I still say you can expect issues when trying to use old outdated software. Brundlefly has also stated this. Sure there might be people using Sonar 6 but not with a modern interface. 
    Your problem is driver related. Sonar versions over time have had to upgrade how they work with the drivers. Your friend the engineer is most likely a Mac pro tools guy and is unaware of how picky Sonar is about drivers. Sonar will act up when other DAWS do not. 

Try loading Reaper or the demo of X3. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/08 13:40:08 (permalink)
    Good idea to test the X3 demo, if only to see whether it resolves the issue.

Incidentally, I had a longstanding issue with outputs going silent on my E-MU 1820m after rewind from Record mode. It showed up around 8.5.3, and did not go away until the E-MU died and I replaced it with a MOTU. The workaround was to bind W to be "Go to Start" instead of the default RTZ - some subtle difference was resetting the driver in a bad way when RTX was executed.

E-MU drivers were always a little flaky in various respects with different problem arising as I migrated to x64 and then Win7, so I never really held it against the Bakers though it was clearly precipitated by a SONAR update when no other changes had occurred.

Sometimes all the layers just don't play nice together, and the further the pieces get from each other in age, the more likely it is that you get weird issues cropping up, including that it works wonderfully... 92.3% of the time. 

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    visioninapark
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/08 19:47:04 (permalink)
    My friend the engineer as you call him is not a Mac Pro Tools guy, and I know a ton of engineers that run older software in conjunction modern interfaces/consoles.  The problem got solved today by freak chance.

The whole problem was the fact that my mouse and keyboard were being flaky with each other.  There was a timing issue in the mouse I had, just bought a simpler newer mouse (my old mouse was this giant Frankenstein thing with a million controls on it.) For some reason it wouldn't function, it was lagging when I would move it about the screen.  I also was having a problem with the usb port that my keyboard was plugged into, it also was flaking out.  Sometimes it's the small things that mess everything up.  So thank you all for helping, it was greatly appreciated.  Now I can get back to the task at hand. 
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: This problem is MADDENING! 2014/04/08 20:39:39 (permalink)
    And again it could be a driver problem with the mouse also. And perhaps other drivers problems if not setting the software to be ran in a compability mode (which does not guarantee any thing either sometimes).

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1