Thoughts on FL Studio?

Author
GjB
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
2017/11/27 07:49:19 (permalink)

Thoughts on FL Studio?

With everyone waiting for official news, and now considering their options, I don't see much mention of FL Studio, here.
Is there a reason, or are some of you secretly in the closet?

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide

23 Replies Related Threads

SmokeyJ628
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/27 14:33:01 (permalink)
    I like FL Studio, but it does things quite a bit differently than Sonar so that might be why it hasn't been thrown around as much. In fact, it is in a whole other realm.  But it does have some cool features.

They do have lifetime updates and, unlike Cakewalk, they've maintained that model for years and years.

Watch a few vids and give the demo a whirl. 
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/27 14:45:32 (permalink)
    Thanks, SmokeyJ628,

I have the demo installed. I remember it from the Fruity Loops years, so I've seen it evolve over time.
    I might well run it alongside Sonar and see how it goes. I really want to get a copy of Rapture Pro and Z3TA+ 2 too, before the boat goes down, if that's somehow going to be possible.
    In the meantime, I look forward to a final file or word from Cake, with regards to our installations of Sonar.

Cheers.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/27 14:46:59 (permalink)
    Fl studio is awesome but workflow may be a huge system shock to most of the posters here. The piano roll is superior to most for pop music. The integration of step sequencer to sampler is unmatched as well. The plugins are high quality.
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/27 14:57:04 (permalink)
    I was just over at KVR and saw this guy selling his Cakewalk account with Z3TA 2 for $35. If you do plan to buy, just make sure he's been posting for awhile and has good feedback in the "Feedback" thread.
    Good luck!!

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=491274&p=6923277&hilit=z3ta+2#p6923277

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/27 17:52:33 (permalink)
    I have been an FL Studio user and have had their flagship version for many years. It is a really great bit of software and of course, you get lifetime updates with it too. The flagship version also comes with heaps of additional cool stuff. I personally don't quite class it as a full DAW though. Of course, it is a DAW, but really aimed at the electronic music, pattern making, and looping tasks. I have recorded audio-only projects with it several times though and with great success, but the workflow isn't really dedicated to that in the same way that a traditional DAW like Sonar or Cubase is. I tend to use it along side a fully baked DAW like Sonar where I can use it almost like an instrument via rewire into Sonar. I certainly recommend it as a powerful tool to add to your setup, but not so much as a dedicated DAW unless your main thing is EDM style, or just playing with loops. It is also very good for developing ideas quickly because for that task it doesn't get in the way like other DAWs do and it's very quick and easy to just launch and start bashing away.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    Alpha Trion
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/27 20:19:53 (permalink)
    I like FL Studio quite a bit honestly. It's a wonderful writing medium and has really quick fast editing, but mixing is... an issue. So is multitrack recording.

Certainly you can get great sound out of it, but quite why you would bother instead of going to something else is beyond me.

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/27 20:32:42 (permalink)
    I tried the F L demo in the past . At the time I was still new to X3 and Splat ...
    Back then it was just a little too much for me to adjust to the FL way of doing things while trying to learn Slat ... 
    I had a beta download installed on my i Mac ...I liked having it over there and I did have fun with it occasionally in my free spare time .
    The sad news is somehow I lost or deleted the F L DMG install file ...
    Now the problem with that is I can no longer demo the Mac version unless I buy the program ..
    Image Line no longer seems to have a F L  Mac Beta  demo unless you are a registered user ...
    It's too bad because the F L  beta demo did seem to run very nice when I had it on my i Mac....
    I may after doing a little computer house cleaning try the Win version of FL on one of my PCs  again .
    FL is a super cool DAW , I just don't know if I can wrap my head totally around it's workflow  .

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/27 21:44:36 (permalink)
    If you are into a linear DAW it's probably not for you.  It is geared toward dance genres.  Its' the most popular DAW out there.  It is in some ways like Reaper with a lot of customized way of doing things.  Don't let it'd looks fool you. It's a very deep DAW.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/28 01:28:53 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    Fl studio is awesome but workflow may be a huge system shock to most of the posters here. The piano roll is superior to most for pop music. The integration of step sequencer to sampler is unmatched as well. The plugins are high quality.

Thanks, dubdisciple. The plugins do interest me. I especially like the quick way to search and choose the plugins by thumbnail.
    It's quite an intuitive interface for me. I'm mostly an electronic type of music guy, too.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/28 01:31:29 (permalink)
    Mesh
    I was just over at KVR and saw this guy selling his Cakewalk account with Z3TA 2 for $35. If you do plan to buy, just make sure he's been posting for awhile and has good feedback in the "Feedback" thread.
    Good luck!!

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=491274&p=6923277&hilit=z3ta+2#p6923277

Thanks Mesh. I'm hopelessly optimistic probably, but if it's all going to be binned, I thought that maybe the decent CW guys (the ones like Jason Bourne) would just give it all away to us registered paying customers.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/28 01:37:41 (permalink)
    35mm
    I have been an FL Studio user and have had their flagship version for many years. It is a really great bit of software and of course, you get lifetime updates with it too. The flagship version also comes with heaps of additional cool stuff. I personally don't quite class it as a full DAW though. Of course, it is a DAW, but really aimed at the electronic music, pattern making, and looping tasks. I have recorded audio-only projects with it several times though and with great success, but the workflow isn't really dedicated to that in the same way that a traditional DAW like Sonar or Cubase is. I tend to use it along side a fully baked DAW like Sonar where I can use it almost like an instrument via rewire into Sonar. I certainly recommend it as a powerful tool to add to your setup, but not so much as a dedicated DAW unless your main thing is EDM style, or just playing with loops. It is also very good for developing ideas quickly because for that task it doesn't get in the way like other DAWs do and it's very quick and easy to just launch and start bashing away.

Thanks, 35mm. I am mostly an electronic kind of guy. The fact that it doesn't get in the way of quickly producing an idea, is exactly what I found. If there are too many steps, it's all to easy for me to go into ADD mode, and then do something else.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/28 01:42:53 (permalink)
    Alpha Trion
    I like FL Studio quite a bit honestly. It's a wonderful writing medium and has really quick fast editing, but mixing is... an issue. So is multitrack recording.

Certainly you can get great sound out of it, but quite why you would bother instead of going to something else is beyond me.

Cheers, Alpha Trion. I'd be looking to use it with Sonar. I'm just a hobbyist, looking to chill, easily write some tunes, and go with the flow. Inside this middle-aged face, and sought after body, there's a Gary Numan just dying to get out.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/28 02:04:46 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz
    I tried the F L demo in the past . At the time I was still new to X3 and Splat ...
    Back then it was just a little too much for me to adjust to the FL way of doing things while trying to learn Slat ... 
    I had a beta download installed on my i Mac ...I liked having it over there and I did have fun with it occasionally in my free spare time .
    The sad news is somehow I lost or deleted the F L DMG install file ...
    Now the problem with that is I can no longer demo the Mac version unless I buy the program ..
    Image Line no longer seems to have a F L  Mac Beta  demo unless you are a registered user ...
    It's too bad because the F L  beta demo did seem to run very nice when I had it on my i Mac....
    I may after doing a little computer house cleaning try the Win version of FL on one of my PCs  again .
    FL is a super cool DAW , I just don't know if I can wrap my head totally around it's workflow  .

all the best,

Kenny

Thanks, kennywtelejazz. Some of you guys are well experienced and/or professionals. So, I understand that the term `workflow' carries more importance for many.
    I watched many videos (Groove 3 Sonar explained which I bought, and the rest on YouTube) to learn and appreciate Sonar, to the point of really liking it. I wouldn't even be thinking about other DAWs to be honest, if not for the idea that Sonar is supposedly going to lose support and updates forever.
    I probably needed to watch those videos, because Sonar was my first DAW to really use, and I didn't really know what to do with it. (I'm quite experienced with learning app UIs and such, but not DAWs.) So, I can't honestly say that FL Studio is easier to use, because I had the Sonar experience in advance, but it does seem intuitive to use and a few things are easy to find and access. For me being inspired quickly is key, if possible.
    I hope you install it and see how it goes with one of your PCs.

By the way, for everyone. It doesn't seem too easy to contact Image Line, in the usual ways. But I wonder if they have been asked to consider a discount for Cakewalk users, like a couple of other DAW companies are doing here.

A respectable discount could certainly persuade me more than the other companies have so far. Because it has a large user base, I'd feel more confident payout out for a decent version of it, too.
    I also assume it would be impossible to get refunds and such from CW for products which are only 5 or 6 months old? (Not complaining, I just have to budget right now.) 

The Computer Mouse (web)
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/28 02:09:52 (permalink)
    kitekrazy1
    If you are into a linear DAW it's probably not for you.  It is geared toward dance genres.  Its' the most popular DAW out there.  It is in some ways like Reaper with a lot of customized way of doing things.  Don't let it'd looks fool you. It's a very deep DAW.

Thank you kitekrazy1. I hope it is deep, yes. I will need to watch a fair few videos, if I go in that direction. I am a dance genre type of guy, at least in my imagination, free from any talent, but I also love strings, synths, pads, moody soundtrack stuff. If it makes me shiver, then it's doing something, for better or worse. 

The Computer Mouse (web)
    h3kke
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/28 03:13:50 (permalink)
    I own the Producer version and it's great.  Great included effects as well.  Really all of their plugins are extremely high quality.  Also it's very stable for me.  It does have some differences in workflow which you may like or hate. 

There is one, and only one, list of all active sounds and synths called the "Channel Rack".  The Channel Rack can be filtered, but there is only one Channel Rack. 

You use the channel rack to create "Patterns" of some length which can contain either Step Sequencer data or piano roll data, or both.  There can be as many Patterns as you want.

First major difference from most DAW's: The "Patterns" are then placed into the "Playlist" in "Tracks" in whatever arbitrary order you feel like.  The tracks play whatever is in them in a normal timeline fashion.  But the tracks are not tied to anything, you can name them whatever you want and put in whatever you want.  

Second major difference from most DAW's:  The mixer is a totally different paradigm.   You can assign only items in the "Channel Rack" to the mixer and it doesn't happen automatically.  You have to tell it to route a certain "Channel Rack" to the mixer.  Each mixer channel has an effects rack.  There are some other special things regarding the mixer that I won't get into.   

So, after using it for a while, I would say it's major strength is the creation and arrangement of patterns.  You can do the same thing in any DAW, but trust me that it's way better in FL Studio because of the browser, included content, the Channel rack step sequencer, and some very deep functionality for handling audio and MIDI.  That's why it's super popular for electronic music and hip hop which largely uses patterns and only a bit of vocal recording.  You do have to adjust to this way of doing things, but just watch some Youtube videos and you'll be fine.  

On the flip side, you will pull your hair out if you try to use it for multitrack recording.  It can do it, but it's not optimized for it and there are DAWs which are way better for that.  

If you're interested in getting it, PM me.
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/28 22:05:38 (permalink)
    rlared
    I own the Producer version and it's great.  Great included effects as well.  Really all of their plugins are extremely high quality.  Also it's very stable for me.  It does have some differences in workflow which you may like or hate. 

There is one, and only one, list of all active sounds and synths called the "Channel Rack".  The Channel Rack can be filtered, but there is only one Channel Rack. 

You use the channel rack to create "Patterns" of some length which can contain either Step Sequencer data or piano roll data, or both.  There can be as many Patterns as you want.

First major difference from most DAW's: The "Patterns" are then placed into the "Playlist" in "Tracks" in whatever arbitrary order you feel like.  The tracks play whatever is in them in a normal timeline fashion.  But the tracks are not tied to anything, you can name them whatever you want and put in whatever you want.  

Second major difference from most DAW's:  The mixer is a totally different paradigm.   You can assign only items in the "Channel Rack" to the mixer and it doesn't happen automatically.  You have to tell it to route a certain "Channel Rack" to the mixer.  Each mixer channel has an effects rack.  There are some other special things regarding the mixer that I won't get into.   

So, after using it for a while, I would say it's major strength is the creation and arrangement of patterns.  You can do the same thing in any DAW, but trust me that it's way better in FL Studio because of the browser, included content, the Channel rack step sequencer, and some very deep functionality for handling audio and MIDI.  That's why it's super popular for electronic music and hip hop which largely uses patterns and only a bit of vocal recording.  You do have to adjust to this way of doing things, but just watch some Youtube videos and you'll be fine.  

On the flip side, you will pull your hair out if you try to use it for multitrack recording.  It can do it, but it's not optimized for it and there are DAWs which are way better for that.  

If you're interested in getting it, PM me.

Thanks, rlared. I am quite interested if I'm honest. But I have to wait a few months before diving in for the main version with all the plugins, I think. I'm strictly on a budget at the moment. Spending that much on software is excessive for me, yet I wouldn't worry about spending more than that on PC hardware every 5 years or so, so it's all the same I suppose, if it builds a machine/tool that I can benefit from using. (See how I psychopathically talk myself into it. My conscience doesn't stand a chance. Not to mention my bank balance.) I'm happy to get software which I can use for the foreseeable future, and I assume that those plugins work out to be cheaper in the bundle.

I really like the look and premium feel to Sonar. I'm curious about how that finally pans out for us users. Could someone step in to save the day? I expect those times have passed now. I don't think the software let anyone down, I suspect it was a clash of personalities or mismanaged communication with various people involved which stirred up too many challenges along the way. I could be wrong of course.

Thanks for your info. I sent you a PM, but like I said, I have to wait a little while. Things like rent, tax, and all that unpleasantness, really get in the way.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    rmfegley
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/11/28 22:36:39 (permalink)
    It has amazing capabilities for working with softsynths and samples - great, flexible automation, including some unique plugins and tools for transforming automation and MIDI data and for triggering control signals. A lot of features in this regard were far ahead of other software, things like bezier control handles on automation splines FL has had for years and Cubase is now touting in there latest update. It has a very flexible mixer routing scheme, though it's can be a bit confusing if you're not used to it

Its audio recording, editing and arranging tools are extremely basic compared to a DAW like Sonar or Cubase, and its clip arrangement window (playlist), while having improved over time, still feels clunky. It's kind of hard to directly compare some aspects of how the arrangement and mixer compare to Sonar, because it uses an entirely different paradigm. The track clips area, mixer, and synth rack don't even relate to each other in the same way as Sonar or Cubase. FL's original arrangement workflow was strictly pattern based, a clip view arrangement workflow was only added as I recall, when audio recording was introduced. That was a long time ago, but it just fits into the overall scheme in a much different way.

FL, because of its origins I suppose, is really centered around your instrument rack. Everything in FL is a channel in your "instrument" rack. An audio track is really just a specialized kind of sampler channel. Automation curves are a special kind of rack channel, as are various control signal generating plugins. It's a very different workflow. I've made more typical multitrack audio rock songs in it, and got good results, but its real strengths have always been geared toward EDM and Hip Hop.

Sonar Platinum latest update
    Windows 10 Home
    i7-4790 CPU
    ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
    16 GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 960
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
    Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
    Native Instruments Komplete 10
    Various other commercial and free plugins
    &
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/12/23 14:56:10 (permalink)
    rmfegley
    It has amazing capabilities for working with softsynths and samples - great, flexible automation, including some unique plugins and tools for transforming automation and MIDI data and for triggering control signals. A lot of features in this regard were far ahead of other software, things like bezier control handles on automation splines FL has had for years and Cubase is now touting in there latest update. It has a very flexible mixer routing scheme, though it's can be a bit confusing if you're not used to it

Its audio recording, editing and arranging tools are extremely basic compared to a DAW like Sonar or Cubase, and its clip arrangement window (playlist), while having improved over time, still feels clunky. It's kind of hard to directly compare some aspects of how the arrangement and mixer compare to Sonar, because it uses an entirely different paradigm. The track clips area, mixer, and synth rack don't even relate to each other in the same way as Sonar or Cubase. FL's original arrangement workflow was strictly pattern based, a clip view arrangement workflow was only added as I recall, when audio recording was introduced. That was a long time ago, but it just fits into the overall scheme in a much different way.

FL, because of its origins I suppose, is really centered around your instrument rack. Everything in FL is a channel in your "instrument" rack. An audio track is really just a specialized kind of sampler channel. Automation curves are a special kind of rack channel, as are various control signal generating plugins. It's a very different workflow. I've made more typical multitrack audio rock songs in it, and got good results, but its real strengths have always been geared toward EDM and Hip Hop.

Thanks rmfegly,
    I appreciate all of your feedback. Sorry, I didn't notice this post until now. It's EDM music that I'm mostly into actually.

I'm considering going with it this year. I'll keep an eye on anything happening with Sonar, too.
    Until I do anything, I have a few other priorities to take care of before spending more money on this kind of thing (which for me is a hobby).
    (I do like the idea of getting the full version with all of the plugins.) I also like the plugin viewer or selector as well, very cool.
    Thank you very much.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    GjB
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/12/23 14:59:45 (permalink)
    crackserialfree
    My Recommendation is fl studio crack cuz it works best for me..

I'd never go that route nowadays. I used to do that many years ago with all sorts of apps.
    The guilt itself stifles creativity, as least for me.
    I prefer to deserve it.

The Computer Mouse (web)
    kitekrazy1
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/12/23 16:04:02 (permalink)
    Hopefully that turd will be flushed from this forum.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    rcklln
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/12/23 16:10:43 (permalink)
    I like using FL Studio for EDM but like others have said the workflow takes some getting used to if you are coming from another DAW. It can be a very productive tool once you get the hang of it.
    kitekrazy1
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/12/23 16:59:20 (permalink)
    It's very deep as well. You can create your own controllers and patcher is a unique tool.  The piano roll is one of the best out there. You never have to pay for an upgrade.  IF anything it is a good supplemental DAW.  It can be used in other DAWs as a VST instrument.  I find myself using the included effects more than 3rd party.

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Thoughts on FL Studio? 2017/12/23 17:06:08 (permalink)
    My son has stuck with FL from the beginning and can do most things possible in other DAWs and many things awkward in other programs. If electronic music is your thing, it will cover most subgenres as well as any other product.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1