Helpful ReplyThunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
2015/06/19 11:06:12 (permalink)

Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt!

With SONAR being Windows-based only, I'm not sure how much interest there is here re the following news item I received this morning:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/thunderbolt-3-how-usb-cooperation-could-lead-to-100-million-connected-computers-soon/

Apparently, Intel has come up with a Thunderbolt 3.0 (40 Gbps v 20 Gbps for 2.0 and 480 Mbps for USB 2.0) chip that uses the USB-C (USB 3.0) connector. They expect to see first use by the end of the year.

Why might that be important here?

How many of us have USB audio interfaces? Yeah, a LOT of us.

How many of us wish we had better (or, heck, any) performance from our audio i/f? Yeah, a LOT of us.

Would a chip-based 40 Gbps i/f between audio box and PC be, well, awesome? Would for me! So, this was very good news for me to wake up to this morning.

Have a great day!

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/19 14:31:57 (permalink)
Unless you are simultaneously recording a huge number of channels Thunderbolt v1 offers nothing over USB2 or Firewire400 in audio terms. My UFX can handle 16 mono channels feeding into the DAW over USB2 (PC) or Thunderbolt2 -> Firewire400 adaptor into Macbook Pro without any problems at all.

Thunderbolt will become more common, I think, but mostly as a way to attach multiple external devices to computers with limited or no internal expansion possibilities. Laptops, tablets, "all in one" PCs and iMacs and the current Mac Pro for example.

As things stand the biggest issue with Thunderbolt is the lack of devices (especially inexpensive devices) available, not the bandwidth of existing Thunderbird technology. It doesn't help that many devices, such as external drive enclosures, have only one TB port so can't be used to daisy-chain more devices. Which kind of defeats much of the point of Thunderbolt in the first place. Many current external "Thunderbolt" drives are actually a USB2 or 3 interface with a bolted-on TB port, so the theoretical gain of TB is lost because the drive electronics are only capable of USB performance.

Given time all this may change, USB wasn't the industry standard connection method when first launched as a competitor to serial, PS2 and parallel ports (remember them?), but over a few years everything changed. Whether TB offers enough to the average computer user/owner to see mass take-up by consumers remains to be seen.
post edited by tlw - 2015/06/19 14:38:15

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/19 19:49:55 (permalink)
It's about time for an update though. USB 2 has been standard for a long time now and we need to progress. I could see Thunderbolt using the USB-C connection being huge so long as Intel supports it and takes over total control from Apple so it's not so exclusive to Apple products. Up to this point, Apple has been pretty much in control of the software side of Thunderbolt which is why PC has had such rubbish support on it. I'm hoping that now changes.
TheMaartian
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/19 20:06:51 (permalink)
With new hardware comes new drivers. With Intel making an inexpensive Thunderbolt v3 on-a-chip, there isn't a single thing Apple can do to "control" the environment. Also, Win10 is coming. I dumped my PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL due to driver issues (it's now connected to my Nexus 10 and Audio Evolution Mobile DAW, where it works great), replacing it with a Tascam US-16x08 which is still on driver v1.00. Yes, there are some issues, but it works great with SONAR.

My biggest hope, and the reason I posted this in the first place, is that TB3 ports start showing up on PCs relatively soon (by the time I need a new one) and that the drivers for them will be better behaved than the USB 2.0 mess right now.

If you have a higher i/o audio i/f working great under Windows, awesome. I wasted NINE months trying to get my former audio i/f's driver to work. My PC has 6 USB 2.0 and 4 USB 3.0 ports, but you think it's that simple in the Device Driver manager? Not. I NEVER got their driver to work with my iLok (another USB 2.0 driver), and that caused LOTS of anomalous behavior.

I want to get my audio i/f as far from that mess of USB hubs as possible.

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/19 22:42:04 (permalink)
Um... 5GB/sec (two full length quality movies) is going to quickly find its chokepoint elsewhere. Throw a couple FX on that data stream and those chokes become obvious quickly. Is like trying to render a full length movie; never seen that in any measure of "seconds."

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/20 11:25:01 (permalink)
I wouldn't expect Thunderbolt 3.0 to really change anything for 99.99% of end users.  

As was mentioned above, a typical audio interface has ~18 channels of I/O.
In this scenario, you're nowhere near saturating the USB2 bus.
Thus, connecting that audio interface to a bus with 20 or 40 times the bandwidth (in and of itself) won't buy any additional performance.  

If you were running 200 channels of I/O at 192k, that would be a different matter.

Liken the situation to the early days of SATA-III (prior to fast SSDs).
There were no SATA-III HDs that saturated the SATA-II bus.
It didn't matter if you connected the SATA-III HD to a SATA-II or SATA-III port (you'd achieve the same performance either way).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/21 11:40:36 (permalink)
While a lot of people say USB2 will easily handle bandwidth requirements of most typical/smaller applications, since recently moving to an RME-UFX and using USB2 connection, I seem to have more snap, crackle and pop (not from my rice kripsies) and drop-out  issues, simply playing/mixing my recorded tracks than I ever had with my ($300) 10 year old M-audio Delta 1010LT PCI interface card, to the point where I may go back to using it, and thinking I've made a somewhat costly mistake.  I'm not sure what else to attribute this to other than the USB interface, assuming/hoping the RME-UFX isn't a total P.O.C., (aside from apparently the USB interface), perhaps I can still use the mic preamps, directly to outputs without using USB (anyone want a deal on an RME-UFX?). I'm going to now try using the Firewire interface for a while and see if I still have the same issues. Any advice or comments on similar experiences that may help would be appreciated?

Cheers  
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/21 12:14:38 (permalink)
JohnEgan,

I use an RME-UFX on USB2 with no troubles at all FWIW.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/21 12:22:51 (permalink)
I use an RME without issue. The only time I have problems are when I need to raise the buffer due to plugins or IO related latency issues.

Raising the buffer always solves things for me.

If you have an RME, you should be aware that you also get DigiCheck with it. This is a useful tool for all sorts of things.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/driver/digicheck.php

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Jim Roseberry
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/21 13:05:31 (permalink)
Several things:
  • Many USB2 audio interfaces don't cope well when connected to a USB3 port (especially 3rd party USB3 controllers).  Prior to Z and X series motherboards (and derivatives), literally all USB3 ports were provided by 3rd party controllers (as USB3 had not yet been integrated into the chipset).  Make sure the UFX is connected to an Intel USB2 port.
  • Make sure the UFX is not sharing a root-hub with another device (especially not another higher bandwidth device).
  • Using a USB hub for low bandwidth peripherals (dongles, keyboard/mouse, etc) can help free up USB ports (and makes it easier to avoid another device sharing a root-hub with the UFX.
Have no doubt that the RME Fireface UFX is an excellent unit (assuming it's in proper working order).
You should not expect glitches/etc when connected to USB2.
With a well configured recent make machine... you should be able to run substantial loads glitch-free at 48-64 sample ASIO buffer size (44.1k).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Billy Buck
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2101
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/21 15:18:41 (permalink)
JohnEgan
Any advice or comments on similar experiences that may help would be appreciated?

The great thing about TB (besides it's huge bandwidth, bi-directional capabilities, daisy-chaining, plug & play, etc...)
is the ability to use various drivers over TB (FW, PCIe, Display-port, etc). In most cases, PCIe audio drivers will get you better performance than FW or USB (lower crackle free RTL's under heavy load, no added buffers, lower system overhead, etc..) on virtually any Mac or PC out of the box.

It does not end there, as you can add additonal drivers/features to the TB pipeline as needs arise. For instance, UA added it's "Star Clocking" protocol running over TB to their latest 2nd Gen Apollo's. No need for additional cables or spdif/word clock ports. One single cable daisy chained to each UAD TB device (total of 6 and up to 4 Apollo's) that carry separate DSP, audio & clocking streams. Want to add dual 4k monitors,  no problem, just daisy chain to the TB ports. I see lot's of possibilities for future audio/video products that we have not even begun to fathom yet as TB continues to mature (curently moving to TB3 and USB-C connectors). Future computers will have a universal port and cable system for all external devices. The type of device that you connect (USB, TB, Display Port, etc.) will determine it's speed and capabilities. What could be simpler.............this ease of use has been long over due in the computer industry that has had far too many types of chipsets, ports, adapters and cables to keep up with. One port type....one cable for all! Simplicity! 

Cheers,

Billy Buck

post edited by Billy Buck - 2015/06/21 15:37:55

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/21 16:43:29 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
Several things:
  • Many USB2 audio interfaces don't cope well when connected to a USB3 port (especially 3rd party USB3 controllers).  Prior to Z and X series motherboards (and derivatives), literally all USB3 ports were provided by 3rd party controllers (as USB3 had not yet been integrated into the chipset).  Make sure the UFX is connected to an Intel USB2 port.
  • Make sure the UFX is not sharing a root-hub with another device (especially not another higher bandwidth device).
  • Using a USB hub for low bandwidth peripherals (dongles, keyboard/mouse, etc) can help free up USB ports (and makes it easier to avoid another device sharing a root-hub with the UFX.
Have no doubt that the RME Fireface UFX is an excellent unit (assuming it's in proper working order).
You should not expect glitches/etc when connected to USB2.
With a well configured recent make machine... you should be able to run substantial loads glitch-free at 48-64 sample ASIO buffer size (44.1k).

Jim - Good to see your well-informed opinions on this. But aside from a USB2 device's ability to manage bandwidth, do you have an opinion/recommendation on a <$400 device with a low enough round trip latency to permit a guitarist (like me) to record tracks one at a time, monitoring through an amp sim? I'm using an old M-Audio PCI card that is probably going to be obsolete under Windows 10. I have no first hand experience with USB interfaces, so have no idea if any of them are "fast" enough. I know I could monitor the interface directly, but I need the amp sim. Thoughts?

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/21 20:49:13 (permalink)
Thanks Jim and others, 
I've tried theses things and more, like disabling anything Im not using on PCI bus, except usually I record at 96K, PC probably does need upgrade now, albeit all worked pretty well with the PCI interface card (if that dates my PC), and its a random annoyance. I don't really doubt RME-UFX, but reassurances are good to hear. I'd had been holding out upgrading to get a PC and interface with TB2, but went with the UFX, and USB2 so shouldn't have had to upgrade PC yet. I guess the newer PC's mentioned will now have both options to use, albeit not of real bandwidth value to smaller scale applications, (or to me now), although a lot of newer audio interfaces are now using TB2 I/O's.
Anyway, thanks for the tips, Ill try a few more things suggested, and see how the Firewire works for me.
Cheers         
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/22 09:32:12 (permalink)
I can use my RME UFX on PC and Mac with round trip latency of approx. 9 milliseconds while input monitoring 10 tracks without issues so long as I don't use latency-inducing plugins. Whether I use a USB2 or 3 port or a TB2 to Firewire 400 adaptor makes no difference.

If I only need to input monitor 4 tracks that round trip latency can be dropped to 6ms at 44.1KHz.

RME's drivers are regarded as some of the very best there is. If you are getting crackles and dropouts I'd suggest looking elsewhere for the problem, such as plugins that use look-ahead creating latency or PCI bus Delayed Procedure Call issues on the PC itself. There's a useful free tool called latencymon that can flag up problems with dpc latency, which is typically caused by hardware drivers hogging the PC's attention for long enough to let the ASIO buffer empty.

As for Apple and TB, slow PC TB take-up has little to do with them any more than they can be blamed for Windows issues with Firewire. All current Macs have TB ports. An increasing number of PC motherboards and laptops are now appearing with TB as well, the issue is really one of Windows driver support.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jim Roseberry
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/22 10:01:17 (permalink)
Larry Jones
Jim - Good to see your well-informed opinions on this. But aside from a USB2 device's ability to manage bandwidth, do you have an opinion/recommendation on a <$400 device with a low enough round trip latency to permit a guitarist (like me) to record tracks one at a time, monitoring through an amp sim? I'm using an old M-Audio PCI card that is probably going to be obsolete under Windows 10. I have no first hand experience with USB interfaces, so have no idea if any of them are "fast" enough. I know I could monitor the interface directly, but I need the amp sim. Thoughts?

Presonus AudioBox VSL series yields 4.9ms total round-trip latency at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size (44.1k).
If you can up the budget to ~$650, the new MOTU Ultralite AVB yields 4.9ms total round-trip latency at those same settings... and has lower noise-floor(~-110dB).
post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2015/06/22 10:07:45

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Larry Jones
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/24 02:07:45 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
Presonus AudioBox VSL series yields 4.9ms total round-trip latency at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size (44.1k).
If you can up the budget to ~$650, the new MOTU Ultralite AVB yields 4.9ms total round-trip latency at those same settings... and has lower noise-floor(~-110dB).

Thanks, Jim! I'll take a hard look at both of those.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
TheMaartian
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/24 11:49:34 (permalink)
Larry Jones
Jim Roseberry

Thanks, Jim! I'll take a hard look at both of those.

Avoid the PreSonus AudioBox VSL interfaces if you have an iLok. The VSL drivers will turn the iLok into an unrecognized, malfunctioning USB device. It took me 9 months to connect those 2 dots.

That said, the 44VSL I bought is a good piece of hardware. When I connected it as a class-compliant device to my Android tablet, Audio Evolution Mobile found and used it immediately. Easy peasy.

If you want to try a VSL i/f, try to acquire it from a place that will let you exchange/return it if you can't get the driver to play nice with your system.

Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/24 13:37:44 (permalink)
Hmm wonder if you can efficiently connect FireWire devices to it via an adapter?

Guess this news delays my scheduled PC upgrade by 18 months.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/06/24 13:46:17

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Larry Jones
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/24 14:20:45 (permalink)
TheMaartian

Avoid the PreSonus AudioBox VSL interfaces if you have an iLok. The VSL drivers will turn the iLok into an unrecognized, malfunctioning USB device. It took me 9 months to connect those 2 dots.

That said, the 44VSL I bought is a good piece of hardware. When I connected it as a class-compliant device to my Android tablet, Audio Evolution Mobile found and used it immediately. Easy peasy.

If you want to try a VSL i/f, try to acquire it from a place that will let you exchange/return it if you can't get the driver to play nice with your system.

I don't have any kind of dongle, so I might be OK with the 44VSL. I've never bought from Sweetwater, but it looks like they have a good return/exchange policy.

My real issue all along has been latency: Is the lag short enough that I'll be able to record a direct guitar while monitoring back through an amp sim in Sonar without committing the sim to my track? If I can't do that I will have to change the way I've been working for the past 15 years or so.

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/24 14:53:38 (permalink)
Larry Jones

If I can't do that I will have to change the way I've been working for the past 15 years or so.

I cannot resist temptation here... how did you adapt to the internet and cell phones?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Larry Jones
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/24 17:23:47 (permalink)
mettelus
Larry Jones

If I can't do that I will have to change the way I've been working for the past 15 years or so.

I cannot resist temptation here... how did you adapt to the internet and cell phones?

The internet and cell phones made things faster. USB audio interfaces make things slower. Of course I will adapt if I have to, but so far all the options I can find for working with the newer inferior technology seem like poor-choice kludges to me.

TheMaartian
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/24 19:40:09 (permalink)
Larry Jones
My real issue all along has been latency: Is the lag short enough that I'll be able to record a direct guitar while monitoring back through an amp sim in Sonar without committing the sim to my track? If I can't do that I will have to change the way I've been working for the past 15 years or so.

Not sure why you need the amp sim to be inside of SONAR, unless that's the only amp sim you've got AND there's no way to run it stand-alone for monitoring.

I use Waves' GTR 3.5 for this purpose. I have 2 basses and an A/E long-neck concert ukulele that I used to plug directly into an Instrument input (Input 1 or 2, unbalanced instrument cable) on my 44 VSL. By default, the VSL driver passes the DRY input signal along to the DAW. The VSL mixer provides PreSonus Fat Channel support for the four inputs (Gate, EQ, Compressor) plus 2 FX busses (with Reverb and Delay). The headphone amp on the 44 VSL in in parallel with the Main Outs (Outputs 1 & 2) and is strong enough to drive my 250 ohm Beyerdynamics. So, there's quite a bit you can do to the signal from a monitoring mix perspective and still keep zero latency within the 44VSL.

If I want to use an amp sim for monitoring, I use GTR and bypass the Fat Channel and FX buss effects in the VSL mixer (that's actually the default). The first time only, I point GTR to my audio i/f (now a Tascam US-16x08), specify the input channel my guitar is plugged into and the output mains. I then select the amp, cab and stomp boxes I want to use that session (or load from a saved preset).

In any case, the dry signal is available to the DAW (was Studio One, now SONAR; doesn't matter). I have not used SONAR's native amp sims yet. I haven't had any reason to.

Larry Jones
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/24 21:11:04 (permalink)
Maartian - Sounds like you've got a way to do what (I think) I need to do. Without having any of the gear you describe, I can't quite get my head around how it's done, but I'll figure it out if I need to.

I've noticed a lot of people seem not to understand why I feel I need an amp sim. It's because a.) I don't want to mic a real amp and make that much noise in my house and b.) I need at least some overdrive to get the feel I need to play things the way I want to play them. Ergo, amp sim. Doesn't seem that crazy to me.

I don't have any experience with external (USB) interfaces, so I was unaware that latency might prevent me from monitoring through the DAW with FX until the past week. I'm like a guy who was given a Ferrari for his 16th birthday and didn't know that not all cars can go 160 mph.
post edited by Larry Jones - 2015/06/25 00:19:12

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/25 05:23:18 (permalink)
Larry Jones 
My real issue all along has been latency: Is the lag short enough that I'll be able to record a direct guitar while monitoring back through an amp sim in Sonar without committing the sim to my track?

There's no such thing as "committing the sim to my track".

Sonar takes the data being streamed from your interface and dumps it directly to disc.  It does not process it in any way.  The wav in a clip that you just recorded is always raw data.

Yes, you can destructively process it later, but not during record.    What you're hearing during record is a duplicate of the recorded data being fed into the channel, to which you can add any FX (like amp sims) without affecting what is actually being recorded.

As far as Sonar is concerned the only difference between record and playback is the data source for each track, either your interface or the disk.

There should be no reason why even the cheapest interface can't get a latency low enough to be able to track guitars with an amp sim loaded in Sonar's FX bin.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

TheMaartian
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/25 12:32:01 (permalink)
Karyn
Sonar takes the data being streamed from your interface and dumps it directly to disc. It does not process it in any way. The wav in a clip that you just recorded is always raw data.

Yes, you can destructively process it later, but not during record. What you're hearing during record is a duplicate of the recorded data being fed into the channel, to which you can add any FX (like amp sims) without affecting what is actually being recorded.

As far as Sonar is concerned the only difference between record and playback is the data source for each track, either your interface or the disk.

There should be no reason why even the cheapest interface can't get a latency low enough to be able to track guitars with an amp sim loaded in Sonar's FX bin.

I'm going to have to try this. It does make sense to challenge one's workflow after making one or more major changes (like S1 to SONAR). I'm doing it the old way, because? That's the way I've always done it.  Maxima mea culpa!

Jim Roseberry
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/25 12:49:57 (permalink)
Karyn

Total round-trip latency can vary radically between different units.

The best performers yield ~5ms total round-trip latency at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size (44.1k).
Other units can yield round-trip latency as high as 14ms at those same settings.
The X-factor is the driver's hidden safety-buffer.
With most audio interfaces, the user has no control over the safety-buffer's size.
In that scenario, your only option for reducing high round-trip latency is to double (significantly increase) the sample-rate.  This reduces round-trip latency at the expense of much higher CPU load...

Some will argue that 14ms round-trip latency is perfectly acceptable.
More power to them...
To me, round-trip latency above ~6ms starts to feel sluggish.
Above 10ms feels absolutely terrible...

Luckily, there are affordable audio interfaces that yield low round-trip latency.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Larry Jones
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/25 14:50:15 (permalink)
Karyn
Larry Jones 
My real issue all along has been latency: Is the lag short enough that I'll be able to record a direct guitar while monitoring back through an amp sim in Sonar without committing the sim to my track?

There's no such thing as "committing the sim to my track".

Sonar takes the data being streamed from your interface and dumps it directly to disc.  It does not process it in any way.  The wav in a clip that you just recorded is always raw data.

Yes, you can destructively process it later, but not during record.    What you're hearing during record is a duplicate of the recorded data being fed into the channel, to which you can add any FX (like amp sims) without affecting what is actually being recorded.

Karyn - Thanks for your clarification. I guess this wasn't clear. What I meant was that I don't like the "pure" sound of electric guitar plugged straight in. I want the fatness and character that you get from guitar amp circuitry, speakers,  etc., but I don't want to use an actual amp. And so far I haven't had to, because there are a number of good simulators out there in the form of VST plugins.

Starting to look for a replacement for my ancient PCI sound card led me to the concern that USB interfaces (the ones I can afford) would introduce enough latency that monitoring back through the DAW/VST would not be practical. So, two interrelated problems: 1.) finding an affordable audio interface fast enough that it wouldn't interfere with my timing as I played, and 2.) getting a decent guitar sound in the monitors to help me play my parts better, while recording the track with no FX. If problem#1 isn't solved, it begets problem #2. And the latency values I've seen (admittedly anecdotal) seem to suggest that I'd better get on with trying to solve problem #2.

One potential solution I've looked at is the Steinberg UR-44, which (maybe) comes with an amp sim in the hardware itself. If the sim is any good, I could use it when recording. This might work for me, but I haven't been able to figure/find out if it's possible to monitor with it and not record it. The other possibility would be to hook up something like my Line 6 Pod and record with that. So in these two scenarios, either I would definitely be "committing the sim to my track," (Pod) or I would maybe be committing the effect to the recorded track (UR-44 sim).

As for your statement that any interface will do the job, I hope that's true, but I suspect it's not, and I'm trying to find out one way or the other before I make a buying decision. I know I can return merchandise, but I'd rather get it right the first time. So I'm experimentally trying to create longer, measurable latencies on the system I have, so I can see just how much I can tolerate. 

Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/25 15:16:52 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
Some will argue that 14ms round-trip latency is perfectly acceptable.
More power to them...
To me, round-trip latency above ~6ms starts to feel sluggish.
Above 10ms feels absolutely terrible...

Hey Jim
Normally I agree with every word you say without even reading it...
The stage I normally work is 20 feet deep by 30 feet wide.  With a guitar amp on the back of the stage and the guitarist playing to the crowd at the front, that's an instant 20ms (approx) lag...
If you put the guitar in a front of stage monitor and the guitarist is 6' tall he still hears a 6ms lag (with a 14ms slap back echo from the backline).

My point?  My personal opinion is it's unrealistic to expect latency less than 10ms as if the "real world" was better.  It just doesn't happen unless you spend your entire career wearing headphones or IEMs.

Mekashi Futo
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Karyn
Ma-Ma
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/25 15:27:38 (permalink)
Larry Jones

As for your statement that any interface will do the job, I hope that's true, but I suspect it's not, and I'm trying to find out one way or the other before I make a buying decision. I know I can return merchandise, but I'd rather get it right the first time. So I'm experimentally trying to create longer, measurable latencies on the system I have, so I can see just how much I can tolerate. 

As Jim said above, the actual latency you'll get will depend on the driver and hidden 'safety' buffers that you can't do anything about, but as long as you buy an interface specifically intended for pro or semi-pro recording (not a SoundBlaster or equivalent) then there should be no problem with latency.

The differences between the cheap and expensive ones are preamp quality, converter quality, number of channels, number of features, and of course...  branding...  

Mekashi Futo

Larry Jones
Re: Thunderbolt is dead. Long live Thunderbolt! 2015/06/25 17:29:00 (permalink)
Karyn
My personal opinion is it's unrealistic to expect latency less than 10ms as if the "real world" was better.  It just doesn't happen unless you spend your entire career wearing headphones or IEMs.

I've played a lot of places where I couldn't hear accurately what was going on, due to unavoidable bad equipment placement and terrible acoustics. When I started a long time ago no one had stage monitors. I've tried to improve things for myself and band mates over the years. Call me crazy, but I want the acoustics to be even better in the controlled environment of my project studio.
Karyn
As Jim said above, the actual latency you'll get will depend on the driver and hidden 'safety' buffers that you can't do anything about, but as long as you buy an interface specifically intended for pro or semi-pro recording (not a SoundBlaster or equivalent) then there should be no problem with latency.

The differences between the cheap and expensive ones are preamp quality, converter quality, number of channels, number of features, and of course...  branding...  

Looks like you don't think there's enough difference in latency for me to worry about. I'll still try to do my own tests and see how different delay times feel to me, but thank you for your opinion.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1