Timing issue

Author
LENovik
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2018/05/19 17:48:16 (permalink)

Timing issue

I've never seen this before in Sonar. I have X3. To put it simply, when I record something, the timing is off. I first noted it with vocals, which seems to be coming in too early when I listened to the finished track along with the other music. Now I've tried to record some MIDI drums to an audio track. WHen I then play them together, they are completely out of sync with each other.
I do have a couple of tempo changes in the song, but none in the area I am recording.
ANy ideas?
Thanks.
LNovik

6 Replies Related Threads

LENovik
    Re: Timing issue 2018/05/19 18:36:21 (permalink)
    I changed buffer sizes but that didn't help. I looked at some similar problems, but going to preferences\MIDI, and hitting apply did not help--as one person has success with in the past.
    LNovik
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Timing issue 2018/05/19 19:19:43 (permalink)
    "Out of synch" is a bit vague. The fact that something "came in early" suggests that you are having a problem with latency compensation. The principle here is that if there is considerable latency involved in an operation/plugin, then in order to have the delayed signal line up, it is recorded "early" relative to its actual arrival. Since Sonar is not a time machine, the movement in time is done by calculating a latency compensation factor. If SONAR thinks the latency is more than it actually is, that can lead to moving the recording early relative to something else. If you can be more specific about exactly how many milliseconds and in what direction along the time line things are getting moved, that would be helpful. As a quick might be a fix, try bypassing effects, as commonly latency compensation issues involve plugins with look ahead buffers built in. SONAR buffer settings have no effect on those built in plug buffers.
    LENovik
    Re: Timing issue 2018/05/19 20:14:27 (permalink)
    I did think of effects, and I do have 3 on 1 bus. HOwever, I did make sure that when I went from a MIDI drum channel and recorded it onto an audio channel, there certainly were no effects involved.
    I can say that the drum audio comes out a bit earlier than the original drum MIDI. ANd, my voice also seemed like it was coming in an 1/8 of a beat too early as compared to the accompanying track. However, I'm not really sure how to tell how many milliseconds. Just enough to instantly hear that its early, and not just subtly early---but neither is it 1/2 measure early. ANd I sang it several times, making sure to  stay in sync, so I'm sure it's not the way I recorded it.
    LNovik
    LENovik
    Re: Timing issue 2018/05/20 12:06:30 (permalink)
    Solved. My thanks to Slartabarfast. After writing the above note, where I said that no effects were in use on the simple recording from MIDI to Audio, I was then thinking of my problem for the rest of the day. It struck me that, even though I was not using effects on this particular job, I still DID have those 3 Bus effects active in the project. When I disabled them, and then re-recorded, it came out in perfect sync. I now realize that this is what Slartabartfast probably recommended for me to do in the first place.
    Thanks again.
    LNovik
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Timing issue 2018/05/20 16:20:04 (permalink)
    What driver mode are you using, you sound like your suffering timing offset which will happen in any other mode than ASIO.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Timing issue 2018/05/20 16:29:03 (permalink)
    Depending on the interface, ASIO may require a manual offset too. It is fairly easy to correct the timing problem shown in the image above using the "Manual Offset" on the Preferences > Audio > Sync and Caching page regardless of the driver mode.

That said, this thread appears to be a PDC issue.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1