[Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflict?

Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
2013/11/19 14:24:58 (permalink)

[Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflict?

Just in case this is helpful...Jimmy Landry from Cakewalk was running the TASCAM US-366 interface with Sonar and getting audio weirdness, not so much like standard audio dropouts from too low latency but almost like a lo-fi signal processor. I remembered that "sound" from when I'd used ASIO4ALL and had problems with it on a Vista laptop. Jimmy was using the TASCAM drivers but as soon as he uninstalled the ASIO4ALL drivers, the problem went away. I don't know the reason why, but...I report, you decide.

If you're encountering audio problems while using interface-specific drivers but also have ASIO4ALL installed, try uninstalling it and see what happens.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

23 Replies Related Threads

Marcus Curtis
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 14:47:38 (permalink)
    There have been issues with ASIO4all. I have had problems of tracks being recorded out of sync using this driver while using certain audio interfaces. Other audio interfaces I used had no issues with this driver. This is why people either love ASIO4all or Hate it.

The ASIO4all concept has made it's way to a new driver called ASIOKS. It has less issues, but the same thing applies. People either love it or hate it. Of course this is all based on personal experience and a wide variation of hardware.

ASIOKS-http://www.asio2ks.de/

I have not used ASIO4all in years. I think ASIOks is better, but I don't use it either. With the advancement of newer hardware and faster computers using driver protocols like this are not really necessary for me anymore.

http://www.marcuscurtismusic.com/  

Windows 10 ultimate, Sonar Platinum, AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T processor 3.00 GHz, (6 cores) 8 gigs of Ram, 

Audio interfaces=VS-100, Pod X3 live pro, Boss GT-100, Boss GP10
    Midi Controllers=Edirol  PCR 800, roland GR-55.    

Ozone 7, Podfarm, Th2 Full Version, Melda, True Pianos Full Version, and a whole bunch of free VST plugins which can be found through my site.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 14:52:53 (permalink)
    You are aware that its a wrapper that uses MME or WDM drivers as its connection to the audio device? 

I can see someone using it to run Cubase because it doesn't support WDM and if you audio device only has WDM drivers you have very little choice. For Sonar its silly.

Best
    John
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 14:57:33 (permalink)
    It's not silly if you are on the road with no interface.  not sure why but it seems to work a little better than stock drivers on most laptops.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 15:01:39 (permalink)
    But it is working with stock drivers. It has to. 

Best
    John
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 15:06:31 (permalink)
    The below is from the web site. 

What started as a bedroom project in early 2003 - for the sole purpose to get ASIO support for the AC97 on my laptop - has become ASIO4ALL - the universal ASIO driver for WDM audio.

Honestly, I did not expect this project to become as popular as it has become (but this popularity does not particularly dissapoint me either ;-)

ASIO4ALL is a hardware independent low latency ASIO driver for WDM audio devices. It uses WDM Kernel-Streaming and sometimes even more sophisticated methods to achieve its objectives.

In order to successfully run ASIO4ALL, you need:

A WDM-compatible operating system, such as Win98SE/ME/2k/XP/2003/XP64 or Windows Vista x86/x64.

A WDM-driver for your audio hardware. (Under Win2k/XP/Vista... this is implicit, not so under Win98SE/WinME.)

A couple minutes of your time and a little bit of luck.

Best
    John
    dubdisciple
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 15:14:12 (permalink)
    I have no idea why many computers run better with the wrapper than without it , but it simply does for me and thousands of others.  Sonar is unusable without my interface if I select any of the other stock options, regardless of setting.  It's not like asio4all works that great, but for very light mixing jobs it does the trick. I'm sure someone could offer a technical reason why.  I simply don't know. It just does
    lawp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1154
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 15:41:31 (permalink)
    asio4all works for me too,but only on the lappy realtek or photon or numark , it exists happily along side edirol ua1000 drivers :-)
    dubdisciple
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 15:47:16 (permalink)
    I rarely use it since I got an interface small enough to fit in laptop bag now, but kept it installed.  I will remove to see if it affactes performance of interface drivers
    Marcus Curtis
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 16:08:24 (permalink)
    John
    You are aware that its a wrapper that uses MME or WDM drivers as its connection to the audio device? 

I can see someone using it to run Cubase because it doesn't support WDM and if you audio device only has WDM drivers you have very little choice. For Sonar its silly.

It has been a long time since I used these drivers. Like I said I don't need to use them anymore. I used them because of a limitation with the hardware not the software. Way back when I first started experimenting with recording on a computer platform I was using Sonar pro audio 9. The hardware I was using only had ASIO drivers. there were no WDM drivers for the hardware I had at the time.

Later When I upgraded to Sonar 3 they came out with WDM drivers but they did not work well at all, ASIO was still a superior driver. The limitation that really bugged me was that you could only have one hardware device at one time with ASIO. ASIO4all was a work around in that it allowed me to use other hardware at the same time and I did not need to worry about the bad WDM drivers the hardware vender threw out there. It was not without its bugs and issues, but I got to use two different hardware devices at once using this ASIO wrapper.

That is why people still use it today. I am sorry for the confusion I meant to call ASIO the protocol not ASIO4all. That is what I get for not proof reading my posts. With todays driver protocols and fast computers and advanced hardware I have no personal need for ASIO4all

Sorry for the confusion John 

Windows 10 ultimate, Sonar Platinum, AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T processor 3.00 GHz, (6 cores) 8 gigs of Ram, 

Ozone 7, Podfarm, Th2 Full Version, Melda, True Pianos Full Version, and a whole bunch of free VST plugins which can be found through my site.

auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 17:00:46 (permalink)
    I use Asio4all when my laptop is on my lap and Octa capture drivers when it is in the studio.

No issues that I have noticed.....however I will uninstall Asio4all just to see if any of my other issues that appear, on the surface, to be non driver related are mitigated.

Thanks for the heads up all.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 17:21:31 (permalink)
    John

But it is working with stock drivers. It has to. 

Just because ASIO4ALL accesses part of the WDM system doesn't, at least in my mind, classify it as a just a wrapper.
    It's doing more that just adding an ASIO interface to the stock drivers.  If that's all it did I don't think that there wouldn't be any benefit to its usage or in some cases conflict with it's installation.

On my laptop - for whatever reason with ASIO4ALL makes the stock Realtek drivers usable, without it they are not.
    I have not tried using X3 directly with WDM, but in previous Sonar versions using the Realtek drivers directly didn't work (too unstable).

...Steven

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 18:27:26 (permalink)
    OK I take it you didn't read the post above where I post what the ASIO 4 All site says about it. 

The term wrapper is mine because I think it best describes what it is does. You can say its more than a wrapper but how does that help us understand it better?

Best
    John
    dubdisciple
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 19:22:12 (permalink)
    John
    OK I take it you didn't read the post above where I post what the ASIO 4 All site says about it. 

The term wrapper is mine because I think it best describes what it is does. You can say its more than a wrapper but how does that help us understand it better?

He says what it does but does not how it goes about it on the site. "It uses WDM Kernel-Streaming and sometimes even more sophisticated methods to achieve its objectives." is very open ended. and doesn't tell us much.  I will fully admit that I do not understand why it seems to function as more than a wrapper but for whatever reason it tends to work when WDM on its own does not. With X1 and X2 I could not get sound to play even for a second with WDM driver. Have you ever tried to use WDM driver with a realtek card? 
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 19:29:45 (permalink)
    John

Hi John,

I thought I had read the posts above yours, but it's possible that I took your post(s) out of context.

In terms of understanding it better - that really depends on the level of discussion and context.
    For example if someone is complaining about their laptop audio responding by posting  'try ASIO4ALL, it's a WDM wrapper that may help you' would be entirely appropriate. Not entirely accurate but it gets the point across and the recipient probably doesn't care for the details anyway.
    But if the discussion is on the driver itself then details make a difference in clarifying things.

Anyway, not trying to be a hard @ss.  

Peace out.
    ...Steven
    post edited by TheSteven - 2013/11/19 20:00:39

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 19:50:58 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    John

He says what it does but does not how it goes about it on the site. "It uses WDM Kernel-Streaming and sometimes even more sophisticated methods to achieve its objectives." is very open ended. and doesn't tell us much.  I will fully admit that I do not understand why it seems to function as more than a wrapper but for whatever reason it tends to work when WDM on its own does not. With X1 and X2 I could not get sound to play even for a second with WDM driver. Have you ever tried to use WDM driver with a realtek card? 

That is an unfair question. 

Best
    John
    dubdisciple
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 20:28:08 (permalink)
    Lol. I admit..no one in their right mind should use a realtek card with sonar. I never claimed to be in my right mind!
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/19 23:09:23 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    Lol. I admit..no one in their right mind should use a realtek card with sonar. I never claimed to be in my right mind!

I use the WASAPI driver with my Realtek Win7 laptop.  Not great, but it works.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Marcus Curtis
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/20 00:57:46 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    John

I will fully admit that I do not understand why it seems to function as more than a wrapper but for whatever reason it tends to work when WDM on its own does not. With X1 and X2 I could not get sound to play even for a second with WDM driver. 

and that is why it is so popular. It even worked with some older line 6 hardware I had when WDM would not work at all in Sonar. It is not just a driver for Sound Blaster or Realtek cards

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/20 01:20:29 (permalink)
    Funny. My current laptop can't stand a bar of ASiO 4all. It uses a nVidea HD chip. Only MME works.
    My pre jobs lippy used the same chips et and driver but it wouldn't work with MME, WASAPI or Web, but Di with A4all. Go figure.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/20 23:37:04 (permalink)
    Somebody mentioned using their Realtek on-board sound....

FWIW,

Realtek provides WDM/KS (WaveRT) drivers for its sound chips - so there's no need to install ASIO4ALL at all. ASIO4ALL is not going to provide you any benefit over the WaveRT driver, and Sonar will allow you to set a buffer size with WDM/KS devices.

IMO, the purpose of ASIO4ALL is as a last resort, if you must absolutely have an ASIO interface for an application that only supports ASIO.

Note:

Although Realtek does support WDM/KS, they usually limit their drivers to 16 bits only, and they may not support all the sample rates you'd like. They usually stick to the basics.

post edited by SuperG - 2013/11/21 14:03:01

laudem Deo
    swamptooth
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2229
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/20 23:54:25 (permalink)
    Paul P
    dubdisciple

I use the WASAPI driver with my Realtek Win7 laptop.  Not great, but it works. 

Wasapi mode works well here, too - and as far as running cubase is concerned it ships with its own generic asio driver that plays fine with onboard audio.

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/11/21 21:30:32 (permalink)
    Got a response from one of TASCAM's engineers...it pretty much confirms what I experienced. TASCAM is looking into the possibility of detecting if ASIO4ALL is installed, and if it is, putting up a warning message.

>Unfortunately, Asio4All grabs the interface and locks the
    >sample rate for itself, and does sample rate conversion.
    >The release notes show that it is getting more aggressive
    >in attaching to devices.
    >http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/index.html
    >
    >Once Asio4All has the device, any other software won't be
    >able to get the US-366 directly, only through that additional
    >(and quality sucking) interface.
    >
    >Our drivers are supposed to give the lowest possible latency
    >while guaranteeing bit-accurate transfer to/from the DAW
    >software.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Goddard
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: [Tip] Uninstalling ASIO4ALL solved audio weirdness/crackling/dropouts - driver conflic 2013/12/11 06:51:13 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Got a response from one of TASCAM's engineers...it pretty much confirms what I experienced. TASCAM is looking into the possibility of detecting if ASIO4ALL is installed, and if it is, putting up a warning message.

>Unfortunately, Asio4All grabs the interface and locks the
    >sample rate for itself, and does sample rate conversion.
    >The release notes show that it is getting more aggressive
    >in attaching to devices.
    >http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/index.html
    >
    >Once Asio4All has the device, any other software won't be
    >able to get the US-366 directly, only through that additional
    >(and quality sucking) interface.
    >
    >Our drivers are supposed to give the lowest possible latency
    >while guaranteeing bit-accurate transfer to/from the DAW
    >software.

"Quality sucking interface"? That's a mite harsh.

It's unfortunate if Asio4All is causing a conflict with Tascam's drivers. Perhaps Tascam (or their actual driver developer, Ploytec in Germany) might contact the developer of the FREE Asio4All wrapper, Michael Tippach (in Germany also), to try and come up with a solution.
    post edited by Goddard - 2013/12/11 10:27:23
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1