Tips for leaning chord tones?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2014/01/25 18:29:52 (permalink)

Tips for leaning chord tones?

I pretty much know the guitar fretboard inside and out, in that I can take any note on any string and immediately know where all the intervals are in relation to that note. In this way I can construct chords and scales on the fly. It's served me well on the guitar.

Recently though I've begun to realize that I really should know each key inside out in terms of note names, not shapes on a fretboard. This has become especially apparent since I started messing with keyboards and piano rolls. In other words, I'd like to know in an instant what a b13 in the key of Eb is, etc. Trouble is I balk at the idea of learning all of the intervals in all 12 keys by rote. I just wouldn't know where to start.

Any seasoned jazzers have any tips?

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

33 Replies Related Threads

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/26 01:35:06 (permalink)
    When I'm using the Piano Roll, I tend to just look at the relative positions of the notes and forget about what key I'm working in. A chord or phrase in PRV looks the same regardless of key.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/26 01:41:34 (permalink)
    There is no H, how hard could it be? (I told my son this just today during his first real music lesson :-) He's 10? I've been bugging him "gently" all of his life, son when are you going to pick up an instrument? Today he told me "piano" So we downloaded an Imagine Dragons song, and I showed him how it was 4 chords? :-) And I showed him how you could play those up, down, in the middle, etc... "There is no H" I told him. It goes ABCDEFG, and then there's the sharps and flats, blah blah blah, but at a high level? It's really simple... The rest is just practice :-)

It was one of my greatest joys... (he's 10) Watching him figure it out? Son, it starts in D, then it goes to A, then Bm? Then to G.... (and then it repeats.) So if you learn the pattern (I said) you can learn the whole song? Because "it repeats..."

Before that I went through the whole ABCDEFG thing with him, and explained (in summary) how chords work, major and minor triads. It was a lot for him to soak in on his first day? Afterwards, I told him I was proud of him (and I was!) 

He's a good boy. 

(Imagine Dragons "Demons")
    post edited by The Band19 - 2014/01/26 02:00:57

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
    sharke
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/26 02:34:20 (permalink)
    Kev999
    When I'm using the Piano Roll, I tend to just look at the relative positions of the notes and forget about what key I'm working in. A chord or phrase in PRV looks the same regardless of key.

Yeah I realize that, but the PRV isn't everything, I mean I'd quite like to be able to construct chords on a stave without having to count each interval or without constantly referring back to my mental image of the guitar fretboard. I'm already at the stage where I'm composing parts in the PRV by ear and I have absolutely no idea what chords I'm writing. Not that there's anything wrong with that because ultimately the ear should be the final judge of everything, but theory also plays a part in composition as well.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    sharke
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/26 02:35:47 (permalink)
    The Band19
    There is no H, how hard could it be? (I told my son this just today during his first real music lesson :-) He's 10? I've been bugging him "gently" all of his life, son when are you going to pick up an instrument? Today he told me "piano" So we downloaded an Imagine Dragons song, and I showed him how it was 4 chords? :-) And I showed him how you could play those up, down, in the middle, etc... "There is no H" I told him. It goes ABCDEFG, and then there's the sharps and flats, blah blah blah, but at a high level? It's really simple... The rest is just practice :-)

It was one of my greatest joys... (he's 10) Watching him figure it out? Son, it starts in D, then it goes to A, then Bm? Then to G.... (and then it repeats.) So if you learn the pattern (I said) you can learn the whole song? Because "it repeats..."

Before that I went through the whole ABCDEFG thing with him, and explained (in summary) how chords work, major and minor triads. It was a lot for him to soak in on his first day? Afterwards, I told him I was proud of him (and I was!) 

He's a good boy. 

(Imagine Dragons "Demons")

He's at that age where you could tell him the notes of a Bm chord and he'd remember them for the rest of his life. I'm jealous!

James
    sharke
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/26 02:43:20 (permalink)
    The furthest I ever got with this was when I was learning the big-band comping style on guitar. I learned these 3 note chord fingerings on the low E, D and G strings. For each chord, I learned every inversion. They're great sounding fingerings. I'd go through the cycle of fourths, playing all 3 (or 4) inversions of each chord. Major, minor, maj7, min7, 6th, min6th etc. I started to learn the notes of all the major chords in every key, so that I knew the bass note in each inversion. But once I'd learned the major chords I guess I kind of got overwhelmed with the whole rote learning thing and gave up. I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of system which helps you learn this stuff. 

James
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/26 22:25:31 (permalink)
    " what a b13 in the key of Eb is,"

Um, er, ........ What??

So, in Eb talk, you got B, Eb, Gb, A, Ab
    Figurin that in the key of Eb is well, um maybe an Eb b5#5sus. Maybe. um. idunno..

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

sharke
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/26 22:36:39 (permalink)
    timidi

Um, er, ........ What??

Figurin that in the key of Eb is well, um maybe an Eb b5#5sus. Maybe. um. idunno..

A b13 is the same as an augmented 5th (talking intervals here, not chords). So in Eb that would be B. I had to picture a guitar fretboard to figure it out.

James
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/26 23:03:43 (permalink)
    Sharke, I do the same. I think about the guitar to find the names of notes I need. I know the shapes/scales/intervals as they are on the guitar. So I calculate to the notes I need, like my 10 year old multiplying by adding 7+7+7.

And yes, it would be faster to have it all memorized. I don't have it memorized.

I remember a guitar teacher telling me that if I just keep practicing I'll get to the point where I can sight-read. But now, 20+ years later, I'm still using FACE and EGBDF to find the tones. I'm faster at it now, but I'm still calculating.

A simpler thing to memorize is how many sharps and flats in all the keys and I don't memorize that either, but that would be handy to always know. I usually just go to wikipedia when I want to know. The circle of fifths is something I also calculate my way around.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    sharke
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/27 00:54:06 (permalink)
    I think the circle of fifths is pretty easy to memorize if you incorporate it into all of your technique exercises - for example, when practicing scales go through the cycle over and over. And yes, memorizing the number of sharps and flats in each key is relatively easy. Trouble is, even if you know your key signatures, you're still going to be counting intervals. I would just love the kind of intimate familiarity with chord and scale tones to hear "major 6th from G#" and instantly think "F" without having to work it out. I would love to pop into a horn player's mind for a few minutes to get an idea of what they're thinking when they're soloing over some changes. 

I'm OK with sight reading, I took it up about 12 years ago and can sight read my way through Bach fugues with multiple parts now. I'm convinced that's because I played the recorder at school when I was 7 or 8. Even though I'd long forgotten the notes on the stave since then, they must have been stashed away in the back of my mind somewhere. One thing I cannot imagine ever being able to do however is reading treble and bass staves at the same time like piano players. But then again I remember not being able to imagine how anyone could fingerpick separate bass & melody parts together on guitar, yet now I can play ragtime standing on my head and I have little trouble with those Bach fugues that often have 3 or 4 things going on at once. 

I also cannot imagine reading Chinese....

James
    mmorgan
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/27 09:45:00 (permalink)
    sharke

...I had to picture a guitar fretboard to figure it out.

Sadly I suffer from the same affliction.

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/27 16:36:33 (permalink)
    Well... I posted in the wrong thread and think I totally missed the damned point of it in the first place.

Today... today sucks.

Today can bite a furry one.
    vanblah
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/27 17:32:35 (permalink)
    The Band19
    There is no H, how hard could it be? (I told my son this just today during his first real music lesson :-) 

Unless you're talking German notation.

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/27 17:46:48 (permalink)
    1st don't to daunted, 2nd pick a place to start.  For instance start learning the formulas of chords 1-3-5 is a major chord.  Start imagining how this might look on a Stave.  As some have suggested circle of 5ths.  The way I learnt my key signatures was play my favourite songs off a piece of sheet music and look at the key signature.  After a while it became 2nd nature.  A tip about key signatures, in most cases not all the leading note or beginning note of the piece tends to be the key, you then just have to work out if its major or minor.  There a number of apps too.

Just remember this a language you are learning and it will take time, I'm still wonky after 28 years, I've been told that I got to chapter 25 of the theory book and threw it away after that.  It does indeed become a little superfluous after a certain point, even limiting.  But def take a practical route when learning, sheet music and a music theory book.

Cheers  

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    timidi
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/27 17:47:21 (permalink)
    sharke
    timidi

Um, er, ........ What??

A b13 is the same as an augmented 5th (talking intervals here, not chords). So in Eb that would be B. I had to picture a guitar fretboard to figure it out.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about then.
    A B13 would never be an interval. It is a chord. I know you just said that but I just think you're thinking about it all in a strange kind of way maybe. As far as scales go, a B13 would be a dominant in the key of E. An 13 chord in the key of Eb would be Bb13. 
    saying "I'd like to know in an instant what a b13 in the key of Eb is" is, to me, a mind warping conundrum.

As I said, I think I don't understand what you're trying to understand.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

vanblah
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/27 17:55:48 (permalink)
    timidi
    sharke
    timidi

Um, er, ........ What??

A B13 would never be an interval. It is a chord. I know you just said that but I just think you're thinking about it all in a strange kind of way maybe. As far as scales go, a B13 would be a dominant in the key of E. An 13 chord in the key of Eb would be Bb13. 
    saying "I'd like to know in an instant what a b13 in the key of Eb is" is, to me, a mind warping conundrum.

I think he meant "flat 13" (b13) and not B13.  It confused me at first, too.
    timidi
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/27 18:16:42 (permalink)
    OOOOHH. 

DOH.........

Thanks Van..

sharke
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/27 20:22:53 (permalink)
    vanblah
    timidi
    sharke
    timidi

Um, er, ........ What??

I think he meant "flat 13" (b13) and not B13.  It confused me at first, too.

Yeah I though it was understood that a lower case 'b' means 'flat' and not the note name. 

James
    timidi
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/29 20:07:59 (permalink)
    it dawned on me that there is no such thing as a flat 13. Well, I mean mathematically I guess you could justify it or somethin. Pretty sure It would be a #5.  No??

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/29 20:22:26 (permalink)
    You are referring to the enharmonic note names but there is a difference. The #5 of middle C say is the G# (Ab) in that same octave above middle C.

What you are forgetting is the b13 is the G# (Ab) in the octave above the octave middle C is in. It is a higher note than the #5 you are talking about. Same note but different octave. Jazz voicings refer to these notes eg 9th , 11th 13th etc..They are wanting you to use those extensions in the same octave.

But no reason you have to either. A 9th sits well as a second and some of these notes sound better in a lower octave instead. It just depends on what sounds better. You might a natural fifth for example (G) and putting a #5 right next to it may not sound so good. (G and G# together, some may see this as a clash!) But a G natural in a lower octave and a G# in a higher octave can work and sound quite fine in fact.

Same as singing a bluesy b3 in a higher ocatve while the Maj 3rd is in the dominant chord in a lower octave. All works and sits OK!!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/29 22:13:34 (permalink)
    Hi Sharke, the best way I've found to learn all keys is to pick a tune with the chords you want to learn and play it in every key. You'll soon start to "see" the notes in the particular chords you are playing and after a while those note names will stick. Knowing your note names is not particularly needed to play the chords, I think "intervals" is a more valuable skill, however knowing your note names can sometimes be an easier way to communicate your chords and ideas to other musicians.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    sharke
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/01/30 01:42:10 (permalink)
    rebel007
    Hi Sharke, the best way I've found to learn all keys is to pick a tune with the chords you want to learn and play it in every key. You'll soon start to "see" the notes in the particular chords you are playing and after a while those note names will stick. Knowing your note names is not particularly needed to play the chords, I think "intervals" is a more valuable skill, however knowing your note names can sometimes be an easier way to communicate your chords and ideas to other musicians.

I have no trouble playing chords, in fact I can read a jazz chord sheet and construct the chords anywhere on the neck in any key, without having to learn chord shapes by heart, simply by virtue of the fact that I know where all the intervals are located in relation to any root. This goes for any kind of freaky altered chords you can think of. What I'm trying to do is get away from thinking in terms of the guitar neck I'm so familiar with and thinking purely in terms of notes. The urge hit me quite hard when I was watching Eli Krantzberg's Jazz theory course on Groove3 and he was going through chord voicings on the stave. I realized that I was quite lost, whereas Eli was reeling off those notes and spellings without thinking about it. Having this kind of facility with chord tones in terms of note names has got to come in handy when you're arranging music on a stave, which is something I'd really love to get into (again, thanks to Eli's orchestration course on Groove3 ). 

James
    rebel007
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/02/04 22:15:35 (permalink)
    Hi Sharke, I was talking about keyboard, not guitar. When I want to know what the notes are in a chord, I can see them in my head. This comes, I think, from having played them over and over, and over so many times I just see them.
    I think it maybe a little easier to see the note names from having done this on a keyboard rather than a guitar, as the notes are in a more logical straight line, although that may just be because I'm a piano player and I have come from a classical background where knowing note names is one of the first things taught, so I guess I have always come at chord theory from a note name perspective. I guess scales also help as this gives you the sharps and flats and also stresses the knowing the note names.
    Hope this helps, if you need more help let me know as I have been a piano teacher for many, many years now and it irks me to think that I can't help some one in that respect. :)

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    sharke
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/02/05 00:26:09 (permalink)
    Thanks. I guess what I'm looking for is a structured method for learning those note names in every key. I know that I could theoretically sit down and learn them one by one parrot fashion, but my brain sucks at that. I'd like to know how, say, a horn player gets to know their chord tones in every key inside and out. Would it be a good idea, for example, to start with the major triads and learn those in every key? Then do the same with the minors and move onto the sevenths? One problem I foresee with this is that once I've learned the major third interval in every key, my brain will be tempted to just count one step down every time I want to think of a minor interval. It's that extra step that bothers me, although I know some people will say "this is exactly what I do." 

James
    rebel007
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/02/05 00:51:25 (permalink)
    Yeah, I get that. But I'm not sure there is a short cut to learning note names. Those horn players you speak of I'm sure just spent many hours going through their scales. I tell  all my students, "scales will give you all you need to know" (regarding chord theory). I think even in other styles of music than our western 12 tone octave, musicians just learn their scales.
    I know it can be a hard slog but you have a head start over someone that's learning from scratch, and I think once you make a start you will be surprised how quickly it will come.
    Pick a key, one that you consider you know fairly well and find the names of the notes in the easy chords and then progress to the more altered chords, then change to related key and learn that one, you'll soon see how they relate. I really do think you will find it easier if you can "see" the notes on the keyboard rather than the guitar.
    Let me know how you are progressing, I will help all I can.

rebel007
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/02/05 00:57:31 (permalink)
    It's kind of weird, I spent many years learning scales and arpeggios. Many classically trained musicians yearn for the day they can forget all that theory, throw away the music and play by ear. Yet I understand the need to learn note names, as they become a language you can use to communicate your songs and structures to other musicians. Keep at it, it's a good skill to have.

sharke
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/02/05 12:25:46 (permalink)
    Hmm maybe I will just buckle to for the hard slog then. I have a feeling the complete beginner has an advantage of sorts over the experienced musician in learning this stuff, since they're going in without any of the shortcuts and "shape knowledge" that I think will make it a little harder for me to think in notes. Maybe I'll just start with C major inside and out, then go from there. Surprisingly enough, when I Googled this question before posting it here, I found little mention of the subject.

James
    rebel007
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/02/12 07:01:50 (permalink)
    You are probably right, in that the complete beginner may find it easier, but I think that probably comes from the fact that they are 8 or so years old and have no preconceived ideas and just take what their teaches give them as gospel. They also have no other distractions, that those of us in later years have, and can concentrate entirely on what they are learning.
    Don't let this discourage you though, I really do believe that once you make a start you will find it easier than what you might at first think.

pghboemike
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/02/17 10:11:57 (permalink)
    links related to the topic
    Seeking advice from people who've learned to play some piano after many years of guitar playing - PG Music Forums

Guitar to piano / Piano to guitar converter. - MUSICAL ANDROID

How to Play guitar tabs on piano

i've learned a lot from willie use the search box for things like scale chord etc.
    JAZZEDGE - YouTube
    post edited by pghboemike - 2014/02/20 21:26:12

asus laptop Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz 8 GB RAM 64 bit Windows 8 home Premium casio wk7500 roland quadCapture audio\midi usb interface sonar producer 64 bit X3e  
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Tips for leaning chord tones? 2014/02/19 04:47:55 (permalink)
    For memorizing anything, I tend to use this...
    http://mnemosyne-proj.org/

It's an open source project that lets you build your own flashcards. Then as you go through your cards you click different numbers to indicate how well you knew the answer and that controls how quickly the card will cycle back.

You can organize the cards into groups and then activate only certain groups. So for example, you could group by tone count - 2 tones - 3 tones - etc. or by Key.

You can store all card as front to back - back to front or just front to back. In other words, you could have Amaj7 on the front and A, C#, E, Ab on the back. You could have it also show you these tones on the first, and you have to say Amaj7.

If you click through the cards every day, you'll be amazed that the information slowly begins to stick.

You can also export your cards to your phone and practice on the go.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1