Tips for reproducing a synth patch

Author
Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2007/05/25 12:54:21 (permalink)

Tips for reproducing a synth patch

Hi all,
I'm looking for a bit of help recreating a synth patch. The one I'm looking for is at about the 7:43 mark of "Sheep" by Pink Floyd (don't ask why...it's embarrassing but at least it pays). Essentially it sounds like a hard sync analog lead patch that degenerates into a laser gun type effect. I can get a reasonably close laser gun sound by doing FM modulation and transposing the modulation osc down drastically, but the transition from "non-laser" to "laser gun" sound is tough. In PSYNII the pitch EG doesn't seem to allow enough depth to make the transition. Also, even in other synths that do allow it I can't seem to get the patch to sound right.

So, now the questions. First, am I going about this the right way? If so, anyone have any tips? If not, how would you suggest I do it? I own a bunch of synths (PSYNII, Z3ta, DimPro, all the NI stuff...sadly not Rapture) so technique is really what I'm looking for. Second, once I get the sound right, I need to perform this using a Korg Triton Rack (tragically no MOSS board), so if anyone has any ideas on how to get that sound from that module, other than sampling the output of the softsynth, that'd be totally cool.

Thanks
Dean

3 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Tips for reproducing a synth patch 2007/05/26 01:37:17 (permalink)
    I've just got guitars is front of me right now, RZW, but I know the sound that you're after. There's several ways to approach it, but I'll have to try to get back to this later. In the meantime, this caught my eye:
    In PSYNII the pitch EG doesn't seem to allow enough depth to make the transition.
    Have you tried 'stacking' Pitch EGs? Each of the 4 (really, five) envelopes can be assigned to Pitch with two parallel destinations, and all of them add together. You'll reach a maximum saturation point, but this tactic just might be enough to put it over the top. It'll get you started, anyway.
    Razorwit
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    RE: Tips for reproducing a synth patch 2007/05/26 01:57:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply B. Oddly enough, when I posted this here I actually said to myself "I hope B Rock replies...if anybody'll know how to do this, it'll be him".

In any case, I haven't tried stacking the EG's. I'll give that a try tomorrow. The bad news is that while that would take me one step closer, I'm still getting the feeling that the sound isn't quite right....almost like Floyd was using traditional sync'd oscillators for that sound and not FM synthesis (hope that makes sense). Anyway, I'm gonna go back to watching My Beloved Cubbies melt down against the Dodgers and I'll play with it more tomorrow. Any other tips you could throw my way would be hugely appreciated...I'm trying to learn a whole lot of Floyd songs right now and anything I can get to shorten that learning curve would be a tremendous help.

Thanks again
    Dean
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Tips for reproducing a synth patch 2007/05/31 08:31:19 (permalink)
    I didn't forget about this, RZW. That 'holiday' weekend got extended with a pile of new work. To compound that problem, I can't find one of my 'classic' CD cases. I can 'hear' the sound that you're after, but I'd feel better about actually hearing it as I was experimenting, you know? It's much more accurate, and it prevents the intrusion of selective memory into the mix.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1