Tis Rock n Roll (Drum Advice needed)

Author
Joe Bravo
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1870
2005/02/04 23:48:49 (permalink)

Tis Rock n Roll (Drum Advice needed)

Somebody deliver me from this evil crap. Boy, this is sooo not me. Anyhow, once upon a time I was an electric guitarist in a fusion band. We never made much money at it but we had some fun. At some point, the bass player took a job in LA, then the keyboard guy got involved with a band doing covers because he wanted to make little girls jump and down. So then it was just the drummer and I. We were always the core of things anyway. We both had an itch to do some recording, so we did. Bret, and I wrote and recorded about an hour or less of music over a 3-day period, just the drums and a scratch guitar track to play along with. That was in 1993 and the stuff's still sitting on the shelf ever since, waiting for me to decide if I want to play electric guitar again. I started on one of the tunes the other day and already I hate it! But I would like to finish the project.

My main concern is the drums. This is the worst sounding track we did. The drums were a bit over-compressed, and there was a big hollowness in the kick. I've tried hard to relieve these artifacts as much as I can. I basically want to know if the drums drive you nuts. Or anything else for that matter. Please pay no attention to the lead and harmony guitars however. I quickly noodled something today just wearing headphones and the sound came out really awful. The flanging just didn't work among other things. But I can redo those easy. I mainly just want to know if the drums, bass, and rhythm guitars are "okay". The drums ain't never gonna be great. But this is the worst track ( it’s the most rock n roll thing I ever did too and I kind of suck at it), so if you can put up with the drums on this then maybe I'll go ahead and finish the project. Tell me the truth though. It ain't like I don't have acoustic guitar stuff (you know, REAL guitar) that I can be doing.

Just a 2-minute sample (cause I'm kind of ashamed.)

Pelican Stomp
post edited by Joe Bravo - 2005/02/04 23:58:00

3 Replies Related Threads

RockMaestro
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1245
    RE: Tis Rock n Roll (Drum Advice needed) 2005/02/05 02:32:36 (permalink)
    The drums did sound lofi, but the most annoying thing to me was actually the prominence of the hi hats. Lofi isn't bad always. Maybe you could double the drums with some big, overproduced kick and snare samples. Just an idea.

The guitars sounded nice enough to me though.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Tis Rock n Roll (Drum Advice needed) 2005/02/05 16:39:22 (permalink)
    I'll take that as a vote for quitting the project.

Boy do I want to quit this project.

Can I get a 2nd nomination?
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Tis Rock n Roll (Drum Advice needed) 2005/02/05 22:02:02 (permalink)
    Hey, never mind guys. I need to get off the Internet and back to work now. Vacations over. I'm just gonna scrap the whole thing and get back to my writing projects, which are all I really care about these days anyway.

Thanks anyhow.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1