Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
2009/03/09 17:37:20 (permalink)

To the UK

Hey, enjoy your DVDs! LOL!

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

31 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/09 17:39:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: robby
    Hey, enjoy your DVDs! LOL!

?

robby
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/09 17:43:34 (permalink)
    I understand the British press is in a tizzy over some CDs? I may have misinformation. I value and appreciate Britan as our (the US) "single" greatest ally.

==================

Rodar6
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/09 17:44:19 (permalink)
    I imagine this is in response to Youtube, who are currently blocking all premium music being streamed in the UK. This is all because of a dispute between themselves and the Royalties Commission.

"Expert in novice advice"  

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     
    Fog
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/09 17:55:28 (permalink)
    ah that'd make more sense Rodar...

youtube is an odd one in the sense of a friends label catalog has gone online recently ... All the songs on their previously (it goes into 200+ songs I guess) were previously available.

depends, I mean people use music in the background or whatever fair enough. Imogen Heap being one example, recently commented on it herself in a youtube video about her work being used in the background.. she had to give permission to the people who posted the video's and contact youtube saying so.

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/09 18:13:21 (permalink)
    I got flagged by their copyright bot (smart bot ) for using a 29 second sound byte of a Queen song, (Summer of) '39, for background in a shorty I posted. I thought that it was fair use at the time, I know better now. Youtube did not block it as the copyright holder did not complain when notified, so it is still up.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Fog
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 13:15:20 (permalink)
    all the official music videos are coming down, as youtube doesn't want to pay for the license.. well in the UK anyway.. bottom line is that far less people will visit them and labels won't get their artist heard.. so it's a funny one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7933565.stm

the joke is some independent labels I used to have dealings with would give promo's out to radio stations (legal or not) as it's free advertising.. some even used to run adverts for other releases on the station.. they weren't worried about PRS etc. it was just about getting the initial buzz of a tune out there.

so who wins in all this? no one.. although I'm guessing its gonna cost a lot more in bandwidth etc if people host their work on their official sites.. although my friend does it with his work.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 13:47:29 (permalink)
    To our British friends -

Robo was talking about Obama giving a greatest hits collection of DVDs to Brown for his state visit. Brown brought a pen holder made from the timbers of one of the British anti-slaving ships from the 1800s - helping end the practice. The funny thing is, those DVDs bought from the White House gift shop probably won't play in a European DVD player. You'd think someone would have realized that. But Obama was in a snit (and sent back the bust of Winston Churchill) since he claimed in his autobiography (one of them, anyway) that his grand pa was totured by you Brits during the Mau-Mau uprising in Kenya - while Churchill was PM. And, as his State dept. said, you guys aren't special - just one of 190 other states. Don't worry, tho, I still like you guys. You are special - I can communicate w/ you while over the pond, almost.

As far as not able to you-tube, I love it when organizations cut off their noses to spite their face. It is so productive. Like how the major labels jumped on downloading.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 13:54:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

he claimed in his autobiography (one of them, anyway) that his grand pa was tortured by you Brits

What, all of us? That must have hurt.

Don't worry, tho, I still like you guys.

The UK has collectively stopped worrying, as of now.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 14:02:30 (permalink)
    As far as not able to you-tube, I love it when organizations cut off their noses to spite their face. It is so productive. Like how the major labels jumped on downloading.

Here's another example of Microsoft making friends in Iceland at the moment:

[Warning! link rated R for pretty strong language]

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Fog
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 14:27:10 (permalink)
    AT thats OK , my roots are Irish (parents are anyway) ..
    AT
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 14:40:24 (permalink)
    I'm Scots/English (and a little German and god knows what else), so I guess I need robby's spanking machine. But then, I don't worry about such things, either. I even have friends at Microsoft!

X&O

@
    post edited by AT - 2009/03/10 14:47:20

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 14:58:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

To our British friends -

Robo was talking about Obama giving a greatest hits collection of DVDs to Brown for his state visit. Brown brought a pen holder made from the timbers of one of the British anti-slaving ships from the 1800s - helping end the practice.

That's still not as funny as the button Hillary gave to the Russian Foreign Minister. It was supposed to be a "Reset" button, with the word "reset" spelled in Russian, but apparently someone goofed on the spelling and wrote the Russian word for "overcharged" instead. Where's that annoying MicroSoft paper clip when you really need him?

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 15:03:55 (permalink)
    Not to mention Gordon brown coulda picked up those DVD's at WalMart if he'd wanted to. All in all, a puzzling move by a prez who's supposed to be so savvy.
    Fog
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 15:35:52 (permalink)
    AT ya know most DVD players will play US films etc.. as makers also have region locks.. you can unlock via the remote control.. If they were being sold as a souvenir you can specify them as region free.

When dvd films were expensive here, some people would order via the states (roughly half price.. even after postage).. My friend went back home to Arizona , she brought me back "the professional"... aka Leon here..

it was a way that the makers of films / studios could stop people from getting their films from abroad, but well they might not have well bothered doing that.

I guess today's equivalent is I can't watch some US tv shows that are on the stations own website..e.g. ABC? NBC? unless I'm within a US IP address.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/03/10 15:41:51
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 15:52:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: But Obama was in a snit (and sent back the bust of Winston Churchill) since he claimed in his autobiography (one of them, anyway) that his grand pa was totured by you Brits during the Mau-Mau uprising in Kenya - while Churchill was PM.

Wait. The Mau Mau were terrorists. So was BO's grandfather a terrorist, then? Oh dear. It just gets better all the time.
    AT
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 15:59:06 (permalink)
    Fog,

I didn't realize you could unlock country codes - PAL vs. NTSC and all that. I used to have a ****ing time trying to send video to England, I remember. Ah, well, it looks like the movie industry is trying to head off the digital blackmarket as best they can. A smart move, even if it doesn't work out.

later,

@

Fog
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 16:40:16 (permalink)
    well thankfully back in the day , there was SCART.. so I used to use import game consoles. I mean family would go states and I got a US snes and N64 later. With a lot of things the UK was last to get them, Japan was always ahead of the US and Europe. I always made sure I got a few games from the country also, if you tried to buy them in the UK they'd be double the cost of the UK versions.

to use the n64 I had to use a step down power converter, that worked fine. The games in Japan / US used to come out far sooner and I used to prefer playing them in their original format. In the UK and some of europe , the games would be modified to run on our machines , BUT in some cases it'd take 2-3 months for them to sort it. Also the games used to be modified to work , and it in some cases e.g. mario kart on the snes, it really did effect the game play (I played it on my friends UK machine and it was like a different game)

if you tried to play it on a tv that could only play 60hz the tv would display , but only in black and white.

this goes back years though, even Commodore 64 etc.. the refresh rate is 10hz faster.. BUT there are less scan lines on NTSC. I guess it's the same as the Timex 1000 computer, in the UK known as a Sinclair spectrum.. they had to modify it to deal with the difference in scan lines / refresh rate. I only got an insight into it from programming assembler on c64 and the timings on things where important.

most more recent video recorders had the facility to playback NTSC. So that surprises me. there was also another format, I think for France and some more PAL secam.

most dvd players are generic, not country specific when shipped and they normally had a 4 digit code you could use from the remote to shift region on them and thankfully on some totally unlock them. I mean they were made in Asia countries, so they also needed to test them before shipping. So I guess it was the easy way to do that
    post edited by Fog - 2009/03/10 16:50:27
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 18:46:54 (permalink)
    most more recent video recorders had the facility to playback NTSC. So that surprises me. there was also another format, I think for France and some more PAL secam.

Have you heard that old story about the three video standards?

The US develops the first color video standard, NTSC. Being an early standard and being displayed by 1950's technology, it became known as Never The Same Color. Later, the French developed their own, uniquely French standard SECAM, which was known as System Essentially Contrary to the American Method. The Brits finally got it right with their standard PAL, know as Perfection At Last.
    foxwolfen
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 18:54:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: j boy

ORIGINAL: But Obama was in a snit (and sent back the bust of Winston Churchill) since he claimed in his autobiography (one of them, anyway) that his grand pa was totured by you Brits during the Mau-Mau uprising in Kenya - while Churchill was PM.

Wait. The Mau Mau were terrorists. So was BO's grandfather a terrorist, then? Oh dear. It just gets better all the time.

I am not sure I would call the mau mau terrorists. Freedom fighters in a rebellion, or those who oppose a forced ideology not their own (like in the US Civil War) are not terrorists.

A terrorist is somebody who has decided to blame their minor problems on somebody else, and then attack civilians and their institutions for no other reason but to terrorize the people there, usually as a means to enforce a totalitarian ideology, not gain freedom from oppression. Some could argue that Palestinian militant groups like Hamas would not be terrorists under this view, but groups like that are the real oppressors of their people (or will be if they gain power) and that is what makes them terrorists when they attack non-Israeli or non-military targets. They replace one oppression with another. The warlords of Somalia might be viewed as terrorists now, but the Mau Mau and other anti-colonial fighters, while outlawed and condemned, were rebels (some were terrorists, yes).

However, it is arguable that the Zionist movement which became Israel is responsible the first use of intentional terror tactics in modern times against both Arab Muslims and the peoples of the British Mandate. You reap what you sow I guess eh?

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Roflcopter
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 19:01:42 (permalink)
    As usual, it all depends on who writes the history books. Some rebellions fail, others succeed. Only from that viewpoint, can you say whether someone is a freedom fighter or terrorist. Pure meritocracy, war.

robby
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 19:11:32 (permalink)
    I still say the UK is our greatest ally and I apologize on behalf of our country. Brothers in arms…

==================

Fog
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 19:13:54 (permalink)
    MurMan , I hadn't heard that.. funny though.

the funny one at the moment is HD..1080. apparently people appearing on it have to go crazy on the make up and cake it on, as it shows up peoples imperfections more so.

I had a girlfriend at one point who could keep the make up counter in business single handly. but thats another story..lol
    MurMan
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 19:20:27 (permalink)
    Fog - I've read that HD is causing a lot of ego problems for the actors. Too much information.

About your old girlfriend, was her name Nan? I always wondered where she'd land next ...
    Roflcopter
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 19:29:52 (permalink)
    I've read that HD is causing a lot of ego problems for the actors

What they will probably resort to is what they do in wedding video's: blurring the blemishes with an active mask, that keeps following the face. So that info will be lost again, on purpose. Same as glossy pics in mags, all those lovely dames have been extensively 'shopped.

Unless of course *every* new release is a superhero movie, then the whole problem goes under cover.

Fog
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 20:58:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MurMan
    About your old girlfriend, was her name Nan? I always wondered where she'd land next ...

haha. no.. Ed (Bapu) posted a thread about "foolish things you've done".. thinking about it, dating her was one of them. It did teach me about not dating materialistic women though, she was under the assumption buying things would make her happy / or make her forget not so nice time (not with me ). I don't mean the usual stuff, I mean excessive spending. Turns out later she'd maxed out her credit cards to the tune of £12k ($24,000) . She did buy lunch once, but I can't recall it cost THAT much.hehe
    foxwolfen
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 23:12:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

MurMan , I hadn't heard that.. funny though.

the funny one at the moment is HD..1080. apparently people appearing on it have to go crazy on the make up and cake it on, as it shows up peoples imperfections more so.

I had a girlfriend at one point who could keep the make up counter in business single handly. but thats another story..lol

The director Rodriguez likes to use HD. He to talks about the fact that it shows so much detail. It was interesting to hear him note that the sudden increase in detail for HD vid over even film had cause him to have to rethink how he shot and who he shot. He chooses actors now who have interesting characteristics in the small details of their faces.

It sort of seems HD might have a similar culling effect on actors like the Talkies did back in the 20's.

Composers Forum
    MurMan
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 23:23:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

The director Rodriguez likes to use HD. He to talks about the fact that it shows so much detail. It was interesting to hear him note that the sudden increase in detail for HD vid over even film had cause him to have to rethink how he shot and who he shot. He chooses actors now who have interesting characteristics in the small details of their faces.

It sort of seems HD might have a similar culling effect on actors like the Talkies did back in the 20's.

This is a great topic deserving its own thread. How many times has a new or improved technology caused art to take a new direction?
    robby
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/10 23:29:05 (permalink)
    I was looking at some art the other day and got a huge direction? The curator was VERY impressed!

==================

MurMan
    RE: To the UK 2009/03/11 00:09:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for getting us back on track. That's the last time I try to hijack one of your threads!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1