To the point - what's different?

Author
realex
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2018/04/21 18:00:48 (permalink)

To the point - what's different?

Hi,
I'm a VERY longtime Cakewalk user (started with version 2.0 for DOS).  I got Sonar Professional, then ponied up the extra $ a couple of months later for the Platinum (lifetime!  Hey!) upgrade.  By "lifetime", I guess they were thinking of house mouse. 

At any rate, I've just installed CBBL.  It looks the same, it came up with the same screen showing my latest projects.  So far, the only difference is it's taking a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG time to scan my plugins.  Can anyone tell me what, if any, differences exist?
Also - I see I have a lot of stuff pointing to my old sonar8 installation (VST plugins, etc.)  In fact, I seem to have plugins spread out all over the place!  Cakewalk stuffs some in a shared directory, I have some in sonar8, some in a VST directory I made, and so on.  Is there any way to get all these things in one place and delete ALL of my old Cakewalk installs?  Heck, I still have a copy of Cakewalk Pro from 1991!

Thanks.

- Russ

4 Replies Related Threads

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: To the point - what's different? 2018/04/22 00:20:35 (permalink)
    There is a comparison chart that compared Cakewalk by Bandlab with Platinum here: (See pinned post)

https://goo.gl/WGBRcX 

Iin Cakewalk by Bandlab, the pow-3 dithering options is missing.  However, this will be reinstated in a near future release.

When you right click on a track in track view in Cakewalk by Bandlab, on the resulting menu there is a new item : "Replace from Track Template"

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    realex
    Re: To the point - what's different? 2018/04/22 01:27:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.  I checked it out, and I see the differences are mainly the various "free" plugins.  Speaking of which:
    When I started the Bandlab version for the first time, it froze on finding my plugins.  So I closed it.  It found the ones IT installed, but none of my others.  I added the paths to Preferences section, but it still can't find them.  In fact, it doesn't even look for them despite my setting "search for plugins at startup".  The search never even happens when I start it.  I tried a manual search, that didn't work either.
    Is this a known bug?

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: To the point - what's different? 2018/04/22 01:49:01 (permalink)
    Once I made sure that the VST paths in Cakewalk by Bandlab match exactly as they are set in Platinum, and then doing a reset and scan, my Cakewalk by Bandlab found all of the Platinum and third party plugins and prochannel modules. 

However, I use custom plugin layouts and some of the plugins there had to be readded  - The Aria player used in Garritan products is an example of this.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    realex
    Re: To the point - what's different? 2018/04/22 16:13:40 (permalink)
    Thanks again.  I checked and the paths are correct.  I rebooted my system and tried it again.  This time, it did a scan but froze on Waves C1 comp Mono - which, I now realize, is where it froze before.  It seems something about Waves is screwing it up.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  I have the Waves files installed in a subdirectory called VST Plugins - not the one Cakewalk created, but one that I did (see my first post).

Again, thank you for your responses!

- Russ
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1