Today is sytem optimization day...

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2012/05/26 16:25:49 (permalink)

Today is sytem optimization day...

So FINALLY I have some time again and have my pain levels down enough to optimize my system and hopefully get moving forward again. The system is all booted up and I'm about to start.

As per Cake tech support advice I'm going to be following this Sweetwater guide...

WARNING! PDF file... http://www.sweetwater.com...Optimization_Guide.pdf

You guys have anything to add to that or anything I should watch out for after I've made the changes?

Cheers.

10 Replies Related Threads

jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 16:51:35 (permalink)
    >>> Set Processor Scheduling to 'Background Services'
    Some CW dudes told us not to do this because Sonar runs processes as daughters, including VST. Supposedly  Cubase needs this setting.

===============
    Lots of disagreement about this one: Set page file to system managed. This is what I do with ALL computers I service. A page file is required for some programs. Windows needs it to log events.

This way, if the OS needs more space for the pagefile it will just happen, without notice. And to avoid the OS having to delete something from the pagefile in order to put something else in it. That takes longer.

RME did tests many years ago and found it best to have a system managed pagefile.

===============
    Also: review the entries in the Task Scheduler. Some add-ons use the TS to start update programs. These items are not listed as services or startup items.

First a restore point. Then run windows, install all of it. Except for the totaly worthless BING bar.

I stop ALL programs from auto-updating, including windows updates. Windows live stuff, Java, Quicktime, Google,...   And disable all tool bars, and internet search helpers. All of them attempt to update.

Create restore points before doing anything you are not sure about.

Drag icons from the control panel to the desktop for quicker access.
    System, Power, Programs,...

When happy, create a restore point, disable hibernation (cmd prompt: powercfg /h off) and disable the page file, reboot, run disk cleanup, then use Auslogics disk defragger to optomize, moving system files to front of disk.

Run it a few times, then run the windows defragger, and then the Auslogics, until nothing is left to do.

Then create a disk image to another disk.

Then, enable the hibernate file, and then the page file.

Breath deep.
    Beepster
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 17:04:44 (permalink)
    @jm44... So if I'm reading your post correctly the only thing on the Sweetwater list I should NOT be doing for sure is "Set Processor to Background Scheduling" and that's specifically for Sonar (if I was using something else like Pro Tools I would probably want to include that step). Correct? I'll poke around at the rest of what you wrote after I get through this. I'm not too concerned about restore points right now because the system is brand new and I did a full system image after I did the initial set up so I'm okay with using that to rollback to. Once I get my new i/o box installed (in a week or so) and see everything is working I'll do another system image so I have all the audio drivers and stuff included. Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 17:17:06 (permalink)
    Damn... I don't think I want to do this disable startup items either. At least not for all of them. There are only 6 entries and 2 seem to be for my Kensington trackball and 1 is for my Korg padKontrol. If I disable those will it just stop the system from looking for updates or will it make those devices not work?
    Beepster
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 17:21:03 (permalink)
    I mean it's only 6 things anyway. The other stuff is MSE (which I guess I could disable), Realtek HD Audio (I might want to use that sometimes but if it's just for updates it doesn't matter) and Adobe Reader (which I don't think matters at all). How much resources could that possibly take? Yeah... I think I'm gonna leave that stuff unless someone here says otherwise.
    Beepster
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 17:24:48 (permalink)
    Bah! I just realized that's just the first step and there's a pile of other Windows stuff further on. Screw it. I'll disable it all and hope for the best.
    Beepster
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 17:54:40 (permalink)
    Okay... that's done. Even managed to find the Intel Speedstep dealymabob in the BIOS and disabled it. Hope that doesn't end up making the system overheat. Also now AI Suite II (ASUS hardware monitor software) is yelling at me that it has stopped working. How should I be monitoring the system now? I gotta keep an eye on those temperatures.
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 18:01:41 (permalink)
    Don't forget to enable Pace while your deleting programs in the startup programs menu if you use an iLok.

Rocky
    Beepster
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 18:05:00 (permalink)
    Had to google what an iLok was. Nope... don't have one of those.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 18:50:04 (permalink)
    beep,if you forget a few things dont freet out bro,
    you have a really nice system,i wouldnt worry about too much.
    dont go turning aero off,but disable any wireless devices.
    id go with it and have fun.
    my daw now doesnt have one tweek and i just got done a project with 11 soft synths and 22 audio tracks.

not one studder.
    i have an pheanom 2 6 core(comparable to the i5)8 gigs of ram.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Beepster
    Re:Today is sytem optimization day... 2012/05/26 19:21:01 (permalink)
    Right on, Chuck. How ya doin' today? Anyway the tech guys said the same thing in regards to my system. Essentially it should be like swatting a fly with a Buick but I still like to learn this stuff so if I want to tweak other systems that aren't quite as crazy powerful I've done it at least once before... and really I'm the type of dude if I can make it better in ANY way possible I want to. I'm a little neurotic I guess but I think that's a good thing in this type of work. I did notice that X1 just popped open super quick after the changes. Might be my imagination but there did seem to be a difference in just that very basic function.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1