"Tonight" First Mix

Author
evhwanabe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
2006/12/03 15:19:11 (permalink)

"Tonight" First Mix

Hey guys, just playing around with Sonar 6 and my new V-drums. This is probably my first serious attempt in actually trying to finish a song lol. Check it out, and tell me what you think...... mix suggestions mainly, as I am new to mixing drums and such.

http://www.brettdriscoll.com/download/original/Tonight-Drums-Mix-7.mp3

Thanks!

12 Replies Related Threads

RigPa
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/03 16:04:06 (permalink)
    Pretty good I'd say. The vox sounds comp'ed. I wouldn't kill that much dynamics on the song using comp. Otherwise I think it is pretty perfect.

/David
    evhwanabe
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/03 16:33:47 (permalink)
    Thanks David! I will look into the vocals...... I probably am compressing them too much right now.
    PickAx
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/03 17:16:04 (permalink)
    Very nice....Great mellow vibe to it. I agree about the compression though....other than that, I would'nt change a thing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=595968
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/03 18:02:33 (permalink)
    evhwanabe,

Nice track, good song structure. I like the vocal harmonies and how they are placed in the stereo field, I can make out all the individual voices clearly. Good mix of instrument tones, vocal compression has already mentioned . The drums sound nice - the ride cymbals towards the end of the song might be a touch loud, but that could just as easily be a reflection of my personal preferences. Nice tone on the guitar lead breaks, particularly the second lead break, tasteful wah. Good job!

Bill
    chasekh
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 874
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/03 21:51:15 (permalink)
    Hi,Very good song.Every instruments & vocals sound perfect.No one will believe if you say it is your first mix!Very well done.Very melodious too.
    R.Chandrasekhar

Q9450,DX38BT mobo,17"&15"lcd sony,8gb ram 1333MHz,(512Mb),828 mk ii audio,Win 7(64) home premium.SONAR 8.5.3 Producer
    Drumz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/03 23:37:23 (permalink)
    I can't imagine this song being any better. If this is your first mix then you have next to nothing to learn. Great song, great everything.

Sonar 8 PE, Windows 7 32 bit, Intel w/H55 chipset, Intel Core i5 3.2GHz,2x Seagate 500GB SATA,4GB DDR3/1333, Presonus FP10, Roland TD 20, Mapex Maple, Paistie, and a bunch of other noise making stuff.
    evhwanabe
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/04 07:47:21 (permalink)
    Wow thanks guys! Actually this is my seventh mix attempt with this song.... but the first attempt at really seriously recording a song and finishing it. I have been recording for about 3 or 4 years, just screwing around in my bedroom. I have written enough songs that I have decided to put out a CD of my best ones........ mainly just for friends and family and who ever else wants it. I don't expect this to be 100% perfect, but I would like it as close as I can get lol.

I picked up some V-Drums (TD-3) and EZDrummer the other day and picked this song to start with. I had one of my friends come in who is a pretty good drummer and has worked with some local bands as a drummer for hire per say. Anyways he kind of taught me the ins and outs of using and playing along to a click, and he also played drums on this song.

Tonecarver - I agree with the cymbals being too loud at the end........ I was waiting for someone to say that lol. I had the drummer listen to it and he said it sounded good, and no one else I had listen to it, say the cymbals were too much.

If anyone cares; here is basically a break down of how the song was recorded.

Drums - V-Drums TD-3 - recorded stereo output, as well as midi. Midi sent to EZDrummer and mixed using EZDrummer mixer. I blended in the V-Drum kit audio recording because that kit seemed "bigger" to me. So what you are hearing is actually a mix between EZDrummer and the TD-3 module (kit 2) audio output. The drummer has worked with V-Drums before and he adjusted all the pads to get a pretty good natural mix across the whole kit.

Bass - Epiphone Thunderbird - Recorded Direct thru whirlwind DI box into Macki CFX-20
    Acoustic - Martin recorded w/ 1 Studio Projects C4..... ART Tube preamp
    Electrics (3 total) - Gibson Les Paul into Fender Blues Jr - recorded with an SM57.... ART Tube Preamp. I have been using a POD XT or my Vetta combo, but I seem to get better results using this little tube amp. The POD seems to eat up a lot of the mix too.

Vocals - Studio Projects C1 into DBX preamp

The interface used for this was a Motu 828 (first gen). I am waiting for my 2408 to come from sweetwater!!! It has been backordered for like 3 weeks now! I used Sonar 6, along with the vintage channel plugin (love it!) on pretty much every track but individual drums. Reverbs used on Vox was the Lexicon that comes with Sonar. I used the perfect space plugins for guitars.

There you have it! I will probably be posting more songs as time goes on and we get them done! Thanks for the feedback!
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/04 08:52:52 (permalink)
    Hey evhwanabe,
    every aspect of this is truly wonderful, although i would prefer the chorus to last longer.
    After the first "without you" if you go back to "and if you..." and run through again i think this would balance much better and help to refresh the main pattern, which, currently, you only have a very short relief from.
    I understand that this is finished and you've probably spent a lot of time on this but we're talking about a very good, radio friendly song here which could easily earn money.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    JCEE
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/04 09:10:05 (permalink)
    Evhwanabe, really enjoyed listening. Mix sounded great on my little pc speakers. Not sure about those cymbles in the very beginning, they sounded way out there... Other than that, I think you are doing an excellent job. Thanks for sharing.

Jcee

My Songs

S8PE, Win XP pro, Intel E8500, 4GB DDR3, 2x750GB HD 7200rpm, E-MU 1820, Roland Midi Controller, Frontier Design Tranzport and Alpha Track, M-Audio DMP3...
    evhwanabe
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/04 11:13:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: opaque slogan

Hey evhwanabe,
    every aspect of this is truly wonderful, although i would prefer the chorus to last longer.
    After the first "without you" if you go back to "and if you..." and run through again i think this would balance much better and help to refresh the main pattern, which, currently, you only have a very short relief from.
    I understand that this is finished and you've probably spent a lot of time on this but we're talking about a very good, radio friendly song here which could easily earn money.

That is a good suggestion..........and honestly one I have never thought of. I guess I would have to play it and see how it feels. I thought the chorus kind of dragged on currently....... and I actually got rid of one before the first solo just to help shorten the song up..... it still is 5 minutes long though :-)
    evhwanabe
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/04 11:18:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JCEE

Evhwanabe, really enjoyed listening. Mix sounded great on my little pc speakers. Not sure about those cymbles in the very beginning, they sounded way out there... Other than that, I think you are doing an excellent job. Thanks for sharing.

Jcee

Thanks Jcee,

Yeah I am thinking the cymbals need to be brought down in the mix...... EZDrummer has no real way to control Cymbal levels individually so I had to get fancy and run a CAL to split out all the notes from the original drum midi track........ I then deleted all drum hits but Cymbals > opened another instance of EZDrummer > sent them to a bus > bounced to tracks and then had a seperate Cymbal track I could control.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: "Tonight" First Mix 2006/12/04 12:26:25 (permalink)
    Very well structured song. Good guitars, good vocals, good lyrics, good harmonies. When the backing vox come in, the lead vocal seems too low in the mix, as does the lead guitar toward the end, but that's simply a matter of taste. Terrific work.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1