Tonight - New song

Author
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
2018/03/07 16:38:53 (permalink)

Tonight - New song

Here's one i finished recently.
I'm pretty happy with the horn programming (NI's Session Horns Pro).
Drums: Addictive Drums, Amp Sims: Amplitube.

I played the piano live (except for the last chorus, which was improvised by the engineer mixing the song).  It's kinda "plunky," but that's actually what I'm going for.  And that's the story i'm sticking to...  Everything except that last chorus piano was recorded at home on SPLAT.

Any thoughts or critiques are very welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/user-809364146/tonight

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.

18 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/07 18:38:18 (permalink)
    Nice laid back track here Matt, is the trombone for real?.  Mix works OK here no major things I would crit'

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/07 19:51:40 (permalink)
    Everything sounded great.  Really liked the sound of the *parlour* piano.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

Slugbaby
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/07 20:11:15 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Nice laid back track here Matt, is the trombone for real?.  Mix works OK here no major things I would crit'

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Wookie!
    Nope, for the trombone I programmed the MIDI and ran it through Session Horns Pro.
    That was a learning experience - i had to create a Pitch control so that every note slid properly and often wasn't perfect.  THEN i spent ages trying to figure out why the keyswitches were changing too, until i moved them to their own MIDI track without the pitch control!  A painful lesson...

eph221
    Everything sounded great.  Really liked the sound of the *parlour* piano.

Thanks Eph.  I was going for a Bowie/Hunky Dory type of sound (but without Wakeman's talent, obviously).  That thin, ham-fisted style mostly.

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Larry Jones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 834
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/11 19:46:11 (permalink)
    Sounds great on my laptop, which is probably better playback equipment than most folks are using these days.  More importantly, it's a good song, your singing is perfect for it, and the brass experiment totally works.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/12 13:39:23 (permalink)
    Very nice!
    My only critical thought; your guitar is "walking" on the vocal a little in the verses.
    I am listening on my Bose headphones, not exactly "flat", so it may be they're hyping that a bit.
    Hendrix liked to "double" the vocal with guitar in his bluesy tunes (think Voodoo Child Slight Return).
    All in all well done.
    I'll have to take a closer look at NI Horn's Pro, I'm slowly learning how to use keyswitches.
    Your mixer is a pretty good pianist.

T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Slugbaby
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/12 19:59:34 (permalink)
    Thanks Larry!

DeeringAmps
    Very nice!
    My only critical thought; your guitar is "walking" on the vocal a little in the verses.
    I am listening on my Bose headphones, not exactly "flat", so it may be they're hyping that a bit.
    Hendrix liked to "double" the vocal with guitar in his bluesy tunes (think Voodoo Child Slight Return).
    All in all well done.
    I'll have to take a closer look at NI Horn's Pro, I'm slowly learning how to use keyswitches.
    Your mixer is a pretty good pianist.

T

Thanks Deering.
    I wondered if the guitar might conflict with the vocals.  It's probably because I don't play and sing at the same time, and then am overly familiar with every track.  I like both parts, and was hoping i could get away with it.

And yes, John did a fantastic job with that last chorus. It was one of those "do you mind if I try something?" moments, and he improvised that in one take with no planning.  He's done that on most of my songs, either on piano or saying "try singing THIS as a background," and really pushes my songs that little bit better than I can do myself.

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/15 05:34:42 (permalink)
    Original as heck. Agreed on the vocal/guitar battle. I'd  push the vocal up. I get the bowie! I'm  not in love with the horns but I do like that trombone patch. Horns are so darn tough and the NI one's are middle of the road in my opinion. You might check vintage horns 2 or blue street brass. Cheap but effective !

I really liked the song and kept hearing it as some mid-80's ska thing, like if Madness played a slow one. Has a nice bounce to it.

Cheers, 
    - Tom 

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Slugbaby
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/15 13:03:43 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    Original as heck. Agreed on the vocal/guitar battle. I'd  push the vocal up. I get the bowie! I'm  not in love with the horns but I do like that trombone patch. Horns are so darn tough and the NI one's are middle of the road in my opinion. You might check vintage horns 2 or blue street brass. Cheap but effective !

I really liked the song and kept hearing it as some mid-80's ska thing, like if Madness played a slow one. Has a nice bounce to it.

Cheers, 
    - Tom 

HAHAHAHA, I just grabbed a guitar and tried it as ska. IT WORKED!
    Thanks for the compliment, and the horn synth suggestions, i'll look into them.

biodiode
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1202
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/15 17:14:27 (permalink)
    I liked the song and glad it wasn't just me that got the Madness vibe out of this, although I might be a little mad myself  If you looking for something a little different in the horn department take a listen to Output's new analog brass and winds https://output.com/products/analog-brass-and-winds

www.biodiode.com  
    https://soundcloud.com/biodiode
    PC Specs :-Sonar Platinum,
    Fractal Design Define R4 Case, Asus X-99 Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core i7 5960X Processor, Bequiet BK010 Dark Rock Cooler, 32GB - 2400mhz Corsair memory, 650W Bequiet Dark Pro PSU, 1GB XFX Radeon R5 Passive GFX, 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 1 x 3TB WesterDigital Black HDD, LG - BluRay Combo Drive, Windows 10, Kensington SlimBlade Trackball, LG34UM88C 34-Inch 3440 x 1440 UltraWide IPS Monitor
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/16 12:21:28 (permalink)
    Hey Slug dude, this is a great expression of your inner self.

I especially love the vocals, you show a of of confidence in yourself, along with a sense of abandon, and a hint of "devil may care."

Really nice at 4:01, and rips hard at 4:35!

jqs

Vilovilo
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/16 23:33:30 (permalink)
    Cool stuff,
    Great job,
    My feeling is that with all thoose tools we have at our disposal,we sometime get lost...
    I miss the time we took a guitar and sang a song ...and listen to others do the same..
    We all try to make radio ready hits ,but to my ears it makes that ,at the end,I am not anymore able to make the difference between one song and another.
    I hear catchy things in your voice and in the global direction of your song but I get somewhat drowned in this ocean of informations ,horns,guitars,drums,panning,compressing,eq ing and so on :-)
    Something of Aimee Mann to my ears in this tune.
    Agree with above, a smalll conflict between guitars and voice.
    Sorry for the comments wich are not directly related with your specific work ,a very good one to my ears.
    Cheers.
    Olivier.
    Edit. To my ears,the voice a little bit more " in your face" maybe?
    Re edit , not louder,just a little bit more up front.( thinking how about Aimee Mann did the trick...)
    Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/16 23:59:39 (permalink)
    I liked it. Very cool tune. I agree about the guitar overpowering the vocal just a touch in spots, but otherwise thought it was great!
    sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/17 00:03:48 (permalink)
    Nice, but I want more vocal!  Singing is original and interesting, and needs to come up a bit to be central to the song. right not the rhythm is more prevalent and relevant.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    Slugbaby
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/03/19 13:46:31 (permalink)
    biodiode
    I liked the song and glad it wasn't just me that got the Madness vibe out of this, although I might be a little mad myself  If you looking for something a little different in the horn department take a listen to Output's new analog brass and winds https://output.com/products/analog-brass-and-winds

Thanks Biodiode.  I was never a Madness fan, but maybe it brings out some of my influences that were similar or influenced them.  The beauty of music - there's such a huge menu that we can evolve to a similar style through many different musical mixes.

Jesse Screed
    Hey Slug dude, this is a great expression of your inner self.
     I especially love the vocals, you show a of of confidence in yourself, along with a sense of abandon, and a hint of "devil may care."
     Really nice at 4:01, and rips hard at 4:35!

jqs

Thanks Jesse.  Considering the song was about abandoning the 'devil may care' attitude, I'm glad it made it into the performance.  
    Vilovilo
    Cool stuff,
    Great job,
    My feeling is that with all thoose tools we have at our disposal,we sometime get lost...
    I miss the time we took a guitar and sang a song ...and listen to others do the same..
    We all try to make radio ready hits ,but to my ears it makes that ,at the end,I am not anymore able to make the difference between one song and another.
    I hear catchy things in your voice and in the global direction of your song but I get somewhat drowned in this ocean of informations ,horns,guitars,drums,panning,compressing,eq ing and so on :-)
    Something of Aimee Mann to my ears in this tune.
    Agree with above, a smalll conflict between guitars and voice.
    Sorry for the comments wich are not directly related with your specific work ,a very good one to my ears.
    Cheers.
    Olivier.
    Edit. To my ears,the voice a little bit more " in your face" maybe?
    Re edit , not louder,just a little bit more up front.( thinking how about Aimee Mann did the trick...)

Thanks Vilo.  I agree with you - there's something special about a sparse arrangement.  "Tonight" is part of an album that took 6 years to complete.  I tried the project in many ways, including just a simple guitar or piano with vocals, and every different version brought up new ideas that often stayed when I rearranged it for a different style.  I just couldn't NOT include all the fiddly bits!  Must be the Ferry/Roxy Music influence that makes me over-complicate things.  

Leadfoot
    I liked it. Very cool tune. I agree about the guitar overpowering the vocal just a touch in spots, but otherwise thought it was great!

Thanks Leadfoot.
    sven450
    Nice, but I want more vocal!  Singing is original and interesting, and needs to come up a bit to be central to the song. right not the rhythm is more prevalent and relevant.

Thanks Sven.  I've never thought of myself as a singer, and usually bury my vocals because of that insecurity/distaste.  I try to keep that in mind, but it doesn't always stick.

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/04/02 21:12:37 (permalink)
    Just had a listen...    I agree with the folks above - really good tune with an interesting twist to it.  I think the overall arrangement and mix works well for it.  The piano parts are great, and while simple, I thought the guitar lead was very effective.   And that "spitty" trombone part rocks. 

I also liked your vocal delivery a lot and would like to hear them just a bit more in front for some of those pointed out spots.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/04/02 23:06:08 (permalink)
    Cool song, I definitely hear some early Bowie in there (the Prettiest Star, Time, etc.)  You just need some Wah on your guitar to get the Mick Ronson sound:)  The horns are very good, mix good.   I like your vocals too.  The only "crit" I would throw out is the intro is a little long.    Overall, like it.

Regards
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/04/02 23:06:08 (permalink)
    Double Post
    post edited by markno999 - 2018/04/06 15:59:54
    Slugbaby
    Re: Tonight - New song 2018/04/06 14:13:55 (permalink)
    Steve & Mark,
    Thanks for listening.  Obviously Bowie is a big influence.  And that 'spitty' trombone part always made me laugh, but once it was there i couldn't remove it.   

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1