Total Newb, please be gentle.

Author
xangel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/12/11 19:30:20 (permalink)

Total Newb, please be gentle.

I am a total newb when it comes to digital music composition. I am musically inclined, I just never really got into it on the digital side.

I am a blank slate on this. I understand music composition and all that.. just not sure where to begin on the digital side.

I don't own a keyboard or anything like that.. and I guess I am just trying to find out if that is even really needed (of course I have a standard keyboard on my computer :) )

I guess what I want to know is if I write a piece of sheet music... can cakewalk/sonar read it?

How do you prevent the cheap sound of most MIDI sequences?

Like I said.. I am a total newb... so I know I sound like an idiot... I have heard some of the songs posted on here and they sound really good.

I am looking for education... not evisceration. :)

I guess my overall question would be:

When you got started...what did you have.. what did you feel you needed.. and what do you think you could have done without?

ANY advice is welcomed. I have tunes in my head... just want to get them down.

12 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/11 20:35:01 (permalink)
    The easiest way to get notes into the computer is with a MIDI keyboard. However, you can also enter notes via the Staff View, allowing you to generate a MIDI track from notation. But if you're composing on a piano, it's probably going to be easier to get a decent MIDI keyboard controller and play each part while recording the MIDI data.

As for preventing the "cheap sound of most MIDI sequences", well that's the $64,000 question, isn't it? Most sequences sound cheap because they are quantized, making them sound too machine-like. Also, when you play a MIDI sequence using your computer's built-in sound card (with its built-in sound fonts) it'll always sound like a computer game because the quality of the sounds themselves is poor. This is unrelated to the quality of the MIDI file itself.

You can avoid those problems if a) you actually know how to play an instrument and b) you are willing to invest in quality software instruments. I suspect you qualify under the former, but the latter depends on how much money you really want to invest in this endeavor.

What I started with was a synthesizer. It was my data-input device as well as my tone-generation device. From there I added more synthesizers, both hardware and software. I also upgraded my audio interface and speakers. Altogether, I've spent about $10,000, not counting computers, on my current setup. That's neither the low nor the high end of what a person might spend.

P.S. Don't worry, the eviscerator squad hangs out on the Producer forum. They never venture here in the Techniques forum.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2008/12/11 20:39:50

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/11 22:12:37 (permalink)
    It would be helpful to know what your current process is, or at least how you think you'd approach writing a tune. Then, we can help you combine that process with computers/Sonar. Currently, Sonar can't read or scan written music so it's up to you to get the information into the computer one way or another. That can be via MIDI using Sonar's included software synths (manual data entry) or via MIDI using an external hardware synth keyboard (real-time or step-time performance) or through recording audio via a microphone/audio interface. Tell us more and we can tell you more.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    portesham
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 07:32:37 (permalink)
    "I don't own a keyboard or anything like that.. and I guess I am just trying to find out if that is even really needed (of course I have a standard keyboard on my computer :) )

I guess what I want to know is if I write a piece of sheet music... can cakewalk/sonar read it?

How do you prevent the cheap sound of most MIDI sequences? "

Welcome to the forum! Assuming I understand your questions correctly; I recommend at least a MIDI controller keyboard if you want to play MIDI (EMU Xboard 49 for example) and you can play drums, orchestra, keyboard....anything on it. In sonar 8, you can write music into the staff view and it will play back for you, but first get MIDI working. You'll need to learn how to insert a soft synth to do this...........see the instruction manual! To overcome the cheap sounds, I always use soundfonts, which you can insert into one of the included soft synths. I guess my comments will be either helpful or totally incomprehensible to you

For what it's worth, I use MIDI to add orchestra, percussion, solo instruments such as sax, and nearly always play them on the keyboard as opposed to writing into the piano roll or staff view. I record a lot of audio; acoustic guitar via a mic, mixer, then straight into the soundcard, electric via mic, but mostly DI, and vocals of course via mic. For playback, the soundcard goes out to a decent quality stereo amp and speakers. To me, these are the basic essentials, but it depends on what sort of music you're trying to do. Everybody reading this will want to know at least what sort of soundcard you have in your PC.

......and that is pretty much what the previous replies have said!

Have fun and let us know how you get on!

Sonar Professional on Win 10, Core 2 quad Q66000, 4GB ram, Tascam US-2x2, NVidia 9400GT, A-500Pro.

Excelling at mediocrity for 61 years.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 07:56:50 (permalink)
    Total Newb, please be gentle

Damn, i better shut it then.....

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 10:37:00 (permalink)
    Part 1.

Sheet music (notation) is very low resolution compared to an actual performance. Sheet music is just not enough to convey what happened. It has worked as a kind of guide for many years but it still requires a human to convert that into a real performance. So even if you could some how get the notation into the computer so it could trigger sounds of a synth, what you hear would not be musical just a fancy click track to give you a rough idea of how the melody goes. To add to the problem the sound of a instrument can very even when playing two of the same note. Again it takes a human who knows how to play that instrument to make the output musical.

So in the popular music production world notation had to be replaced with an electronic method of capturing a performance that would yield higher resolution (timing) and also record at least a limited number of other aspects of the performance other then when in time a note happens.

Enter MIDI. MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) was invented so the folks that make keyboards and drum machines could have they actions of the keys or pads converted to a digital signal, not only to trigger the sounds inside one device but it could be sent over a wire to a different device to trigger sound in it. By some small miracle all of them were able to agree on a standard and stick to it for decades. Some even came up with a way to store this information and play it back, very much like a player piano plays a paper scroll. This was called a sequencer and Cakewalk Sonar and other software like it do this job now. There are even plugins that do the job of the synth and make all the sounds right inside the computer. You can also record audio in the same project.

So to recap. To compare the old player piano and tape deck with a modern system. The computer (with software) is the encoder that punches the holes in the paper (and plays it back). MIDI is the paper scroll, plugins are the player piano that makes the sound. And the computer can also be like a tape recorder and record the sound of other things to go with that sound. All of those elements of a song end up in a document called a "project". In Sonar each project has a file that controls everything and a folder full of audio (wav) files if you recorded any of that.

As if that were not enough Sonar is also most of the rest of the recording studio, complete with a mixer, effects boxes (also called plugins). There is complete automation of everything via bendable lines called envelopes that can be put over each track in track view. These can control the movement of controls on the virtual mixer, effects, synth plugins, everything. The details of what the lines do are recorded in the project as "events" very much like the events in a MIDI track. It's just data. It's a fantastic new way of producing music.
    ohhey
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 11:00:11 (permalink)
    Part 2.

How realistic can the sound of a synth get ? Very. Things have come a long way since the early days of keyboards and sound cards with built in (almost realistic) samples. Today, sound cards don't even try to do this. The computer does it all. Even the sounds you hear a computer make when you play a MIDI file are not make by the sound card. The operating system includes one software synth that is running all the time in the background and it can make all the sounds of the General MIDI spec. Up to 16 different instruments at once.
    NOTE: Sonar does NOT use that one !!

In Cakewalk Sonar you don't send MIDI to the computers operating system (Windows) to make the sounds. You have to insert a software synth into your project and select that as the target on the output of your MIDI track. Depending on the version of Sonar you have there are some included. The General MIDI one similar to the one Windows has but a little better quality is called the TTS-1. It's close to a clone of the old Roland Sound Canvas hardware device that was the industry standard for MIDI playback for years so most MIDI files sound correct on it. However, you can go far beyond that now. A computer can now do more then any keyboard synth ever made. Computers are so powerful now they can do the work of a room full of keyboards and drum machines and not even be busy yet so they can keep the rest of the system going also. The limit to how much of that you can do depends on how powerful your computer is and how much of that power the synth plugins use up but it's much more then computers could do just a few years ago.

The top of the line software synths typically don't try to do all the instruments in the GM spec. They may only do one instrument and do it very well. For example a project might have a software synth that does only grand piano and another one that does the sound of a Hammond B3 organ, and other one that only does drums. There is a dizzying array of these software synths available today, hundreds of different brands and models. Sonar comes with some good ones but you can buy others to go with Sonar to make a super studio system. Effects plugins are the same, huge selection. Prices can vary from free to hundreds of dollars, even more then some hardware synths. Some are over a thousand dollars for a collection of plugins.

There are some plugins that only work with Apple computers or special hardware cards but the vast majority of them work with Sonar. Sonar can use plugins that are sold as VST, VSTi, DirectX (DX), or DXi. VST and DX are effects, VSTi and DXi are software synths.
    post edited by ohhey - 2008/12/12 11:01:40
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 11:39:23 (permalink)
    A modern 'classical' composer who teaches at a local college (and has been commissioned by orchestras) told me that he was so use to composing from a piano with paper and pencil that it took him a long time to make the jump to computers and midi for composing. But once he did he said he could get a months worth of work done in a day. And, he no longer had to try to imagine how the instruments would sound together, he was able to now hear it with immediate feedback.

If you use Sonar with good soft synths and perform the piece on midi controllers (like a keyboard) then you shouldn't get that midi sound you refer too. The resolution for Midi in sonar is 960 ticks per beat which at most tempos we're talking less than a ms between ticks for resolution... we're talking the time it takes a sound wave to travel a foot or so. And for dynamics there is a scale of 0 - 127. All that is to say, you can get a very natural sounding performance from midi.

Some of My Tunes

HS 6 XL, M-audio Delta 44, Digitech GNX3000, Dell Dimension 8400 Pentuim 4 3.4 Ghz, 2GB Ram
    portesham
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 11:56:22 (permalink)
    "you can get a very natural sounding performance from midi. "

Too true! I've numerous 'loose' and 'flabby' recordings to demonstrate how easy it is to get a 'natural' sound! Sometimes, it just comes together and sounds like the 'real' thing.

Meanwhile, what's XAngel making of all this??

Sonar Professional on Win 10, Core 2 quad Q66000, 4GB ram, Tascam US-2x2, NVidia 9400GT, A-500Pro.

Excelling at mediocrity for 61 years.
    ohhey
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 13:01:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fep

A modern 'classical' composer who teaches at a local college (and has been commissioned by orchestras) told me that he was so use to composing from a piano with paper and pencil that it took him a long time to make the jump to computers and midi for composing. But once he did he said he could get a months worth of work done in a day. And, he no longer had to try to imagine how the instruments would sound together, he was able to now hear it with immediate feedback.

If you use Sonar with good soft synths and perform the piece on midi controllers (like a keyboard) then you shouldn't get that midi sound you refer too. The resolution for Midi in sonar is 960 ticks per beat which at most tempos we're talking less than a ms between ticks for resolution... we're talking the time it takes a sound wave to travel a foot or so. And for dynamics there is a scale of 0 - 127. All that is to say, you can get a very natural sounding performance from midi.

The software synth can also help a lot. Some will respond with subtle differences even when receiving two of the same note and the same velocity.

There are other aspects of realism also. For example on the GigaPiano sound that came with my Gigasampler software synth even the pedals make a soft "clunk" like you would hear if you listen to someone play piano in a room. I didn't even notice it till I was using headphones to work on a song with only piano where the last chord was to decay into silence. I was checking the fade to make sure it was all there and when the MIDI event for lifting the sustain pedal happend I could hear the soft "clunk". I just thought wow... who thought to do that when making the samples ? On some software synths you can even get a graphic of the microphone setup and move them around to vary the sound just like you would if you were a studio engineer tying to get the track right as it was recorded. Very cool stuff.
    xangel
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 14:14:49 (permalink)
    First of all - sorry for teh delayed response... but...

Second... Thanks so much for all this info.

When it comes to how I write music... I am not a mozart... I don't have a tune in my head and I can just write it down on paper. I - like many others - hear it.. and then I try to transpse it to the keyboard.

I asked about sheet music because I have some in digits and I thought SONAR would be able to read it.

t seems like the main thing many of you are saying is the SOFT Synth that I would choose... and it seems like many of you are suggesting a mid-range keyboard. I am thinking that I could get one at a pawn shop since I am not a "fulltime" composer. As long as it is MIDI capable. I am not going to drop $10000 on a KB at this point.

Again... thank you so much for all this input.. the "evisceration" warning on the producers section is duly noted :)

Anything else is greatly appreciated in advance.
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 14:34:48 (permalink)
    No need to spend $10k on a keyboard. A controller keyboard (makes no sound of its own but is used to control a soft synth within Sonar) can be had for just a couple of hundred dollars brand new in the box. Low end synthesizers (that do make their own sounds) can be bought brand new for a couple of hundred more. Many controller keyboards connect to the PC via USB. Older models will require a MIDI connection which might necessitate you purchasing a small MIDI interface (less than $100) to get the MIDI information from your keyboard into the PC and and into Sonar. Recording audio (singing or guitar playing, for example, or the sounds from a synth keyboard) will require an audio interface which can come in the form of a PCI card that mounts inside your computer, USB, or Firewire.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    sleepymike
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Total Newb, please be gentle. 2008/12/12 17:24:34 (permalink)
    I'm a long-time guitar player who has slowly gotten into digital music recording over the last couple of years. It's only in the last few months that I've added MIDI to the mix. You'd be absolutely amazed at what you can accomplish with a copy of Sonar (including TTS-1) and an entry-level MIDI controller. I bought a used EMu XBoard 25 on eBay for about $50 and I'm having a blast with it. I'm just adding little embellishments and ambient tones to back up my guitar and bass, but if you're a serious keyboard player, you should consider something a little bigger, i.e. a 49- or 88-key keyboard. The beauty of MIDI is that the computer that you already own does all of the work and upgrading your gear is often as simple as buying and installing a new piece of software. There's less need to constantly upgrade your gear.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1