LockedToxic lightbulbs???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2009/03/31 21:14:07 (permalink)

Toxic lightbulbs???

Ok, I'm having a hard time figuring out the reason and logic behind this.

Pretty soon, we, here in the USSA are not going to have the freedom to choose and buy any type of lightbulb we desire. It seems we are being mandated to buy only the Compact Florescent Lightbulbs... aka CFL's.... incedescent lights will be unavailable soon....even though they have no toxic chemicals and metals in them..... not like the CFL's.

Now correct me if I'm wrong.... but these CFL's are basically little toxic disasters waiting to happen. They are filled with mercury, and the instructions tell us that we are not supposed to throw them away in the trash...they must be recycled properly, and if one is broken, great care must be exercised in the clean up of the contaminated area due to the mercury.

Wasn't it just a few years back (relatively speaking) that the government and environmentalists were all up in arms about the mercury being released into our rivers and into the ocean...to the point of concern over the levels of mercury in fish & game and also in the tuna fish?

So my question now..... why are the environmentalists so quiet on this issue? You & I both know that people will be throwing these toxic lightbulbs into the household trash and they will surely end up in landfills where they will break and the mercury will be released into the ground, and ultimately into the water...... I would have thought they would be protesting these toxic lights.

I guess it's not really about the environment..... it's about the power to control people.....

what do you think?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

47 Replies Related Threads

jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/03/31 21:44:43 (permalink)
    I haven't read anything about this issue. But it seems you are drawing very broad conclusions based on very limited facts/evidence. You may be right (about the lightbulbs, not the environmentalists "hidden" agenda), but let's get some more intel first. (Not trying to provoke you, just my observation based on knowing nothing more than what you put in your post)
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/03/31 21:49:12 (permalink)
    What I'm saying here is, we are about to start throwing mercury back into the environment after decades of trying to get it out...... no one seems to be protesting that issue. Why not?

The very people who claim to be protecting the environment are strangely quiet on this one...... Why?

Seriously.... just wondering.

BMI/NSAI

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/03/31 22:06:00 (permalink)
    It is about the lesser of two evils... the amount if mercury and noble gas in the tubes that can be potentially released weighed against the toxic chemicals being released into the environment to power the old kind from coal fired plants or poor nuclear waste storage, etc, etc, etc.

Environmentalists are not stupid Herb. Most live here, in the real world. There is no perfect solution, so you choose the one that does the least damage to the economy and environment both.

edit - here is one reason to use less power from coal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_mine_drainage

It is interesting that you talk about loosing freedom, but at the same time blame environmentalists instead of the people who throw light bulbs out - why do you not blame the consumers for their excesses? Because that is the real problem... not light bulbs and not the people trying to keep the damage these people cause to a minimum.
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/03/31 23:05:56

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/03/31 23:06:03 (permalink)
    the same thing is happening here in australia with incandescant bulbs being replaced. some old geezer reckons the replacement " eco bulbs" as they are called here can cause cancer and has been stocking up on the old style bulbs. he has nearly a whole room full of them!

edit: yea, i don't get it...the're trying put money back into coal-fueled power here...a country with as much sun as australia? and the're not trying to develop solar power?
    post edited by i8ipop - 2009/03/31 23:17:14

Still raining...still dreaming!
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 00:34:26 (permalink)
    I know that this is not obvious but, burning coal actually liberates mercury. If you crunch the numbers (and do the mass balance), the reduction in electricity consumption via the use of CFLs reduces the net amount of mercury released into the environment even though a typical CFL contains 5 mg of Hg.
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 02:33:42 (permalink)
    Not to mention more radiation than nuclear power plants:

http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev26-34/text/colmain.html

ORIGINAL: quantumeffect

I know that this is not obvious but, burning coal actually liberates mercury. If you crunch the numbers (and do the mass balance), the reduction in electricity consumption via the use of CFLs reduces the net amount of mercury released into the environment even though a typical CFL contains 5 mg of Hg.

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 06:51:26 (permalink)

Very true, and a good point, although liquid mercury is known to end up at the bottom of waste sites, and can collect that way, so I wouldn't discount it altogether.

There's a few sites in Holland that used to have that, and since mercury is mutagenic I believe the stories from people seeing rabbits around them in the past, with wrong numbers of legs and even heads etc. This was way before Chernobyl, we're talking mid-seventies.

There is a difference between numbers atomized globally, and having a few hectoliters under your backyard. Minamata isn't as well known a name as Hiroshima, but the pics could be swapped, at times.

edit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

post edited by Roflcopter - 2009/04/01 07:50:47

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 07:36:45 (permalink)
    Hi GuitarHacker.

FWIW.... I'm a greenie AND I've been pointing out everything you say since these light bulbs were introduced.

I see the movement behind them as just another "lobby"... they've promoted the benefits while trying to obfuscate the issues regarding the costs.

It's more of the same old industrial distribution system; "this is what we make... so this is what we sell."

Furthermore, I believe that the power supplies built into the base of these bulbs are a fire hazard.

I turn off all but one incandescant light when I leave the house... luckily... because on three separate occasions I have had store bought compact fluorescents smolder, fizzle, and smoke when the power supply in the base went bad. The first one was on my night stand... and I was witness to the failure. It scared me to think what would have happened had I not still been awake.

Please spread the word...

Compact fluorescents are bad for all of us... and, not all greenies are so dumb as to think they are good.

best,
    mike

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 07:42:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: quantumeffect

I accept that as fact.

But, you might consider that like or not we are going to burn all that coal any way.

Then we'll finally focus enough funding to move on to a better technology.

Then we will regret burning all the coal and absolutely ruining the Appalachians.

Two wrongs do not make a right... no matter how fancy the math!!!

very best regards,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/04/01 07:43:31

Guitarhacker
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 07:47:30 (permalink)
    So far...all worthy points to be considered.

I don't discount the fact that the world is going to need way more energy than we are producing now. Unfortunately, I don't see us making up the difference with savings from using CFL's....and inflating our tires.

Our government, and other governments in the world have been dragging their feet or in some cases standing still on the matter of energy production. No oil & gas drilling, prohibiting coal mining, no new power plants, no nuke plants, agonizingly slow progress on wind, tide, solar, and other alternatives. Ethenol is a fraud and a boondoggle.

Some say switching to CFLs despite the toxicity of the lamps, and you know people will be breaking them and throwing them in the landfills, is a move in the right direction. However I believe a better move in the right direction would be to immediately cut the red tape and start construction on clean coal technology power plants and more nuclear power plants. Until we have a more efficient form of energy...and right now, wind, solar, and tides is not efficient, cost effective, or reliable enough to supply the power needs of our country and our world.

The power needs of this world will continue to grow, and unless we wish to live with candles and heat with wood...if we can get it...we need to stop this nonsense, and use what we know works until government gets out of the way and let innovators innovate.

In the mean time.... while real (safe) light bulbs are available, I imagine I'll be buying up a few case loads of them and storing them in my shed.

BMI/NSAI

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 08:14:57 (permalink)
    I was kind of thinking that I don't like the idea of CFL's being imposed on us, it's happening here too Herb except we're being fed them as very properly 'Energy Efficient Lamps'... I'll be honest I knew nothing of their mecury content until you mentioned it here. It seems funny how we are told we are kept 'informed' when such an issue can be overlooked as we're ushered toward the Energy Efficiency aspect.

But then we've known for a long time about the innefficiency of incandescent (filament) lamps for years and done nothing about addressing it as individual citizens of the world preferring the cheap short term convience of these short circuit fuel burners, inevitably something had to give and now we get these 'government directive/issue' alternatives so I guess any imposition has been brought upon us by our own collective choices (or perhaps more accuratly lack of making a choice).

I pretty much agree with your summary at ramping up R&D in other areas of fuel production although for me fossil fuels need to be treated as sacred resources and nuclear should be pretty much ruled out until somebody discovers a way of actually dealing with the by-product now rather than letting the kids clear up the crap we left in the corner in years to come.

Perhaps it will take something like war time Britain when folk learned to grow their own produce from their own back yards to appreciate the REAL value of what we'll happily throw away with an appliance needlessy left on. I'd wager we'd all get pretty smart, a lot smarter than now, about our own private energy production/conservation real quick when there becomes a real and imminent threat to it showing up as easily as it does today.

Then we'll see the real innovators innovating.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/04/01 08:23:45

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 08:16:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

So far...all worthy points to be considered.

I don't discount the fact that the world is going to need way more energy than we are producing now. Unfortunately, I don't see us making up the difference with savings from using CFL's....and inflating our tires.

Our government, and other governments in the world have been dragging their feet or in some cases standing still on the matter of energy production. No oil & gas drilling, prohibiting coal mining, no new power plants, no nuke plants, agonizingly slow progress on wind, tide, solar, and other alternatives. Ethenol is a fraud and a boondoggle.

Some say switching to CFLs despite the toxicity of the lamps, and you know people will be breaking them and throwing them in the landfills, is a move in the right direction. However I believe a better move in the right direction would be to immediately cut the red tape and start construction on clean coal technology power plants and more nuclear power plants. Until we have a more efficient form of energy...and right now, wind, solar, and tides is not efficient, cost effective, or reliable enough to supply the power needs of our country and our world.

The power needs of this world will continue to grow, and unless we wish to live with candles and heat with wood...if we can get it...we need to stop this nonsense, and use what we know works until government gets out of the way and let innovators innovate.

In the mean time.... while real (safe) light bulbs are available, I imagine I'll be buying up a few case loads of them and storing them in my shed.

I can see the NRA's new slogan now. "Guns don't kill people, light bulbs kill people!"

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 08:22:48 (permalink)
    Shad,
    Is this going in the direction you have suggested you will prefer?

It seems like you've just initiated a conversation that you claim to not want to witness. Do you see what I mean?

Otherwise, I see the humor in it :-)

In any event, compact fluorescent bulbs are bad for music recording.... they buzz all over your guitar. Let's stay on topic :-) :-)

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 08:24:57 (permalink)
    Foxwolfen...that's a cheap shot buddy. I expect a more intellegent response from you than that.

Any body can tell you the NRA has nothing to do with lightbulbs.

Lets stay on topic: LIGHT BULBS

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/04/01 08:34:05

BMI/NSAI

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 08:43:19 (permalink)

Jonbouy,

Thanks for sharing. As a child of the 60-70s in Florida EVERYONE knew about how bad flourescent tubes are. There was a decade where eating to much local fish could make you very very sick.

Most Floridians (and their land fill trash) live about 5 feet above our aquifer... and that aquifer quickly discharges right out into the bays and estuaries.

We had friends down in the keys living the life. It was a great mystery when they started showing up in Miami with chronic illness. Later the issue became very well known and we have large signs posted at all our land fills and all our public fishing access points. ( boat ramps, fishing piers, marinas. etc. )

It's a shame most of our access to communication is sponsored by corporate conglomerations. When you are inundated with propaganda it's difficult to stumble upon info that's not distributed for profit.

best regards,
    mike

Texrat
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1531
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 08:54:35 (permalink)
    This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

CFLs reduce electricity drawn. That's good.

CFLs are toxic. That's bad.

Incandescents and halogens draw much more juice and put out much more heat. That's bad.

Incandescents and halogens are better for your health (eyes and skin particularly). That's good.

We need an alternative... how about more windows, skylights and candles?

EDIT: used CFLs are supposed to go in the recycling bin where I live. I do my duty in that regard, religiously. And I'm foreseeing a big run on incandescents and halogen bulbs soon... I think I'll start early.
    post edited by Texrat - 2009/04/01 09:04:03
    Texrat
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 09:39:02 (permalink)
    You guys inspired me to blog on this today, thanks: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/a-compact-conundrum/
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 09:41:55 (permalink)
    Most Floridians (and their land fill trash)

AKA Mothers-In-Law?

(soooo just kidding!)
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 09:58:49 (permalink)
    Plus, what is the energy required to produce a CFL vs a traditional incandescent? I don't have the numbers but it is a lot more. On balance... which is worse? I don't know. Plus CFLs never give the energy savings they claim except under specific lab conditions. In actual use they may last only 3-4x as long as incandescents. To top it off, they need proper ventilation to prevent overheating, and almost no one has them installed like that--with enough airflow over the top to vent away heat. Putting them in enclosed fixtures is a fire hazard as mike_mccue witnessed. Incansescents can withstand far higher temps than CFLs.

More broadly speaking, I suppose I'm what you'd call a 'greenie' but I also suspect that paper recycling produces more damaging chemicals as waste than making new paper. It's entirely possible that throwing away paper into a modern landfill is far better for the environment than recycling it. I've also heard it said that the only things that are actually beneficial to recycle are aluminum cans. On balance, everything else is a net loss in terms of economics and environmental damage. Do I believe it? I haven't decided. But there's a good case to be made. It's a complex issue.
    post edited by tarsier - 2009/04/01 10:07:31
    Texrat
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 10:18:49 (permalink)
    Paper recycling *can* produce less environmental impact than new paper production. It depends on the process. Overall, paper recycling makes more sense. Recycling glass and auto tires, among many other examples, also make sense. Plastic can be problematic but again, it all comes down to process.

Our biggest failing is that we don't generally design for resuse but rather disposal. Very sad.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 10:44:39 (permalink)
    You guys are looking at Coal. There is an abundance of natural gas and it is clean.

Doing the right thing is always good. However, there are environmentalists that say they are environmental just for the sake of making money. Nothing wrong with making money mind you.

Consider the electric car. Great idea right? But you have to charge the batteries.

How do you charge a battery?
    You make electricity. Lets forget about coal for a minute and look at natural gas.
    You make electricity from natural gas by burning gas to heat water to make steam to drive a turbine that generates AC electricity.
    To charge a battery, you need DC. To effectively turn an axle, you need AC.

So, there are a bunch of steps in there. Conservation of energy. Anything given off as heat, sound... is all a loss in the process.

By comparison, you can convert cars to compressed natural gas or propane for about $2k. It is existing technology. It is clean.
    But most importantly, the natural gas drives the engine directly as upposed to the gas->heat->steam->turbine->AC->DC-AC process. I have seen estimates that say that for every Mcf of natural gas used in a CNG powered vehicle, it would take 4-8x that much natural gas to create the electricity to charge a battery powered vehicle. AND - you dont have lead and other toxic issues to deal with in the disposal.

I know that the environmentalists are going to say "Wind, Solar..." But they are missing the point that if you doubled the installed base of wind and solar every year in the US (a very difficult task to double EVERY YEAR - try doing that with your paycheck), it would take between 15-30 years to power the country. AND you would still need natural gas when the wind wasn't blowing and the sun wasn't shining.

So the environmental efforts behind the battery powered car totally miss the point on where electricity comes from. It is a huge waste of natural gas that could be used on the car directly instead of indirectly.

There are lots of valid points made by some of the environmental groups. But they are very guilty of omitting the facts that do not support their case. Like the fact that Mars has global warming that follows Earth exactly. That argues that Global Warming is not entirely man made - unless we really do have people on Mars driving Tahoes.

Or the fact that glaciers around the world are growing - despite the Global Warming threats. Ditto for polar bear populations.

There is a lot of pop science in this. Yes CO2 is up. But the cause and effect of Global Warming - if it is a permanent straight line - have NEVER EVER been proven. And, when I was about 20, people were screaming about the pending ice age.

There will always be people crying "the sky is falling". It is popular to predict doom. It gets a ton of media play.

I will stand by my assertion that Al Gore plays to the heart strings of people on this subject, but makes a buttload of cash from it. There is nothing wrong with making a profit. However, when I used to be a sell-side analyst in the stock market, or even now when I get on TV and say something about stocks I believe in, I am required by law to make a full disclosure of if we own the stock, get paid by the company, have relations to the company.... in other words, if I am telling you something I stand to profit from, I have to let you know that.

That is why the movie the Inconceivable Truth bothered me. If Al had told people "Hey I am the CEO of a company that makes a killing trading carbon offset credits" before he launched into the slide show, it would have been more sincere.

And, I will stand by my belief that trading carbon offset credits does not solve the CO2 emission issue. Companies that pollute can buy credits from companies that do not pollute. That to me is analogous to being a serial rapist but donating to the National Organization of Women, or being a member of the KKK but donating to the NAACP. You are paying for your sins, but you are not stopping sinning. I totally do not get that concept, other than Al can make a fortune from it.

We should all do stuff that protects our planet. But we should do it for the right reasons and with the right consequences in mind. Pop science and media does not educate people. People educate people. Learn all of the facts you can and decide for yourself. Do not rely on other people's opinions. They could be wrong.

As for me, well the ice age I heard about in the 70s has not happened, or did i miss it?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Texrat
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 11:17:51 (permalink)
    Glaciers are not growing overall. That's just more antienvironmentalist propaganda, sc, sorry. Glacier retreat is well-documented and proven. We are in for change, and it's gonna be big.

And the 1970's "ice age" talk is more spun propaganda. Paid pundits, like Fox "news" anchors, have taken a complex topic and whittled it down for the consumption of their narrow-minded and uneducated audience. Don't buy into it... I know you're not part of that crowd.

There's a real issue here, and it doesn't lie in the extreme rants of left-wing loonies or right-wing gasbags. Getting at truth means getting away from the agendas, and into hard science. True scientists pursue their craft out of passion for discovery, and the consensus among their kind is that a global climate (not weather) warming trend is upon us and no amount of arguing or denial will alter that.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 11:38:24 (permalink)
    I agree and don't agree. My only agenda is that people look at all the info. And Paid Pundits like Fox???? Uh, have you watched the other channels? Wow!.

Many glaciers are growing in the most recent two years. Ignoring it is wrong. Search Google. There are tons of threads. Some pro, some con, but enough data points that the Global shrinkage of glaciers is not a substantiable claim. BE CAREFUL OF THE DATES ON THE DATA. Some of the MOST RECENT data contradicts the popular claim. They were retreating. Is the growing a temporary phenomenon or permanent? I don't know. No one else does either. But the data from some of the biggest studies are vintage 2002-2003 - not that old, but not current either. Ignoring new data is not science. Never was and never will be. The scientific method means adjusting your thesis for new observations.

On Global Warming - Scientists do not agree on what the cause is. Again, do a Google search. It is a heated debate amongst some very smart people. The Global Warming agenda completely ignores the data on the variations in the sun's temperature and the impact it is having on Mars as well as Earth.

And No one on the Humans cause Global Warming wants to consider variability of the Sun's output. Again, do a Google search. There is a ton of info out there.

There are too many contradicting pieces of evidence to prove one side or the other is right. I am willing to go with the thesis that "Man is part of it. Nature is part of it". It is interesting how people dig in on the "Man is all of it" side and ignore other contradicting facts. But then, I spent 12 years as a scientist and understand the importance of using ALL of the info, not just that which supports my arguement.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Texrat
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 11:45:17 (permalink)
    I check out many news sources. Mainstream media outlets these days are little more than fluff-- but objective analysis has shown Fox to be the absolute worst. CNN is leftward but closer to balanced than any of the others.

But I find I get more hard news from sources outside the US. It's very eye-opening and refreshing to me to see real news these days... but it ain't local.

I don't need to rely on Google to understand climate issues. Googling can lead one into circles. Earth Sciences was my minor in college and it's been a passion of mine for 40 years. I have a much, much better than layman's grasp of the topic. As far as "scientists disagreeing", that's more pop propaganda. You warn against that, and then indulge in it. I'd caution you to heed your own wisdom. The consensus among objective scientists (not those beholden to special interests) is that climate is changing. It happens. Most of it natural, and some of it exacerbated by man. Bottom line: better to be prepared than argue as your beach disappears.

The predominant evidence supports what I've said above. No amount of spin is going to change that.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 11:48:19 (permalink)
    It does not support that humans solely reponsible. I spent 12 years as an engineer. Science is a big hobby of mine. I read probably more than anyone I know.

I cannot stomach CNN. There is no balance there, but that is a different issue. I read news basically 10 hours a day. It is part of my job. I read news directly from the news wires. They are not filtered but are just the facts.

Texrat
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 11:59:39 (permalink)
    Please re-read what I said, sc. FYI: I won't argue with straw men.

And CNN is much more balanced than Fox or other peers. Statistics have proven it. That's doesn't mean I'm in love with them though.
    post edited by Texrat - 2009/04/01 12:07:33
    henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 12:59:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

Pretty soon, we, here in the USSA are not going to have the freedom to choose and buy any type of lightbulb we desire. It seems we are being mandated to buy only the Compact Florescent Lightbulbs... aka CFL's.... incedescent lights will be unavailable soon....even though they have no toxic chemicals and metals in them..... not like the CFL's.

So, you're saying old-fashioned incandescents are going to be outlawed soon? I need to read more about this -- can you tell me where it's been reported? Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't watch television news.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    Texrat
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 13:03:28 (permalink)
    henkejs, click on my blog article (above). I have a link to a news item on this.
    henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Toxic lightbulbs??? 2009/04/01 13:15:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Texrat. I see a link in your blog to a 2+ year-old article about California maybe considering a bill to ban incandescents. Did that bill pass? Has anybody else in the U.S. passed such a bill? A little Googling turned up a ban in Australia and others being considered in Europe and Canada.

There are a lot of applications where CFLs aren't a good choice for technical reasons, at least until the technology improves. I wonder if those uses are exempted?

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1