[Track] First track with vocals, help please

Author
samhoff
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
2005/12/05 11:15:09 (permalink)

[Track] First track with vocals, help please

Ok, once again I need a lot of help.

I’m trying to figure out how to record vocals along with a song. I dinked around last night and got a version of “Holly Jolly Christmas” which is posted here (it’s far from perfect but enough to get some answers from y’all). Give it a listen (even just listen to the first few bars!) and answer a few questions for me please:
1. I have the input gain on the mic turned WAY down. Is that normal? It is a Studio Projects B1 mic, three prong connection (I forget what you call that, XLR?). I have the foam cover on there and am singing from about 2 inches away.
2. In order to make the vocal sound even remotely acceptable, I had to add some reverb. In this case, I added Piano Room Medium from P5 Studioverb. Is it too much? Too little? Should I be doing something different? Please direct me only to reverb tools that are already in P5 so that I don't have to download or buy another one!
3. How’s the balance between piano and vocal? (The piano is Art Vista’s VGP). I just gave it a listen now, fresh, this morning (at work) and I think the vocal is too loud, relatively speaking.
4. Any other comments? My voice was a little gravelly on this recording, but as I said I’m more about learning at this point than coming up with a perfect recording.
5. Lastly, I am becoming increasingly aware that my utilization of P5 is FAR different from all of the rest of you (no drums, no loops etc.). I am grateful for all of your help but wonder if it is time for me to move to a forum somewhere else to post the rest of my songs. From here on out, they will likely be either (1) new-agey type solo piano stuff or (2) Christian original stuff, and this just doesn’t seem to be the forum for that. Any advice on where to go from here?

Again, thanks everyone. This forum has been a lifesaver!

Sam

20 Replies Related Threads

wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/05 11:27:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: samhoff
    Lastly, I am becoming increasingly aware that my utilization of P5 is FAR different from all of the rest of you (no drums, no loops etc.). I am grateful for all of your help but wonder if it is time for me to move to a forum somewhere else to post the rest of my songs. From here on out, they will likely be either (1) new-agey type solo piano stuff or (2) Christian original stuff, and this just doesn’t seem to be the forum for that. Any advice on where to go from here?

Sam,

I have downloaded your tune and I'll listen and see if I have any ideas for you, but first and foremost, DO NOT give up on this forum. The portion of your post that I quoted above, well...I respectfully disagree. If you listen to everyone's tunes, not all of them have loops, or drums. Jeez, I tossed up a track that was improvised solo double bass...you can't get much further away from drum loops than that!!! P5 allows you to create ANYTHING, no one said there had to be drums, heavily edited .sfz files from a B Rock tutorial, or looped acidized wave files. There is NOTHING wrong with solo piano and vocal. We love it. Post it. We'll comment, dissect, disagree, compliment, rip it apart...whatever you ask us to do. This is ABSOLUTELY the place to post your music....so don't give up on us.

Now, let me have a listen to your tune and see if I can help you in any way. More later.

WC
    philchetcuti3
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1361
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/05 11:33:24 (permalink)
    Yeah, what Will said.
    wgcabp
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/05 13:52:03 (permalink)
    1. I have the input gain on the mic turned WAY down. Is that normal? It is a Studio Projects B1 mic, three prong connection (I forget what you call that, XLR?). I have the foam cover on there and am singing from about 2 inches away.
    2. In order to make the vocal sound even remotely acceptable, I had to add some reverb. In this case, I added Piano Room Medium from P5 Studioverb. Is it too much? Too little? Should I be doing something different? Please direct me only to reverb tools that are already in P5 so that I don't have to download or buy another one!
    3. How’s the balance between piano and vocal? (The piano is Art Vista’s VGP). I just gave it a listen now, fresh, this morning (at work) and I think the vocal is too loud, relatively speaking.
    4. Any other comments? My voice was a little gravelly on this recording, but as I said I’m more about learning at this point than coming up with a perfect recording.

Let's scratch question number 4. You have a very nice voice and it sounds good on the recording. Keep it, don't worry about it.

Question 1:

Many professional condenser microphones have what they call a "-10db" pad. Sometimes it's a switch that can be toggled,
    sometimes (usually with small diaphragm condensers) it's a screw-on attachment. At any rate, from a quick check of the specs of
    the B1, your microphone doesn't appear to have that option, so your microphone naturally comes out "hot". Nothing wrong with
    that. The vocal level that you recorded works just fine. But if you're looking for an explanation as to why you had to turn
    your levels down so much, that's probably it. And yes, XLR is the correct term.

Also, I don't know anything about your studio setup or what equipment you have. Sometimes the mic preamp will have a -10db pad.
    If that's the case with your equipment, try selecting it and you'll see that you now need to turn the levels of your microphone
    much higher than you did when you originally recorded.

Question 2:

Nothing wrong with the reverb on the vocal track. You can continue to play with it, but you did an acceptable job of widening
    the vocal mix. More on this in a bit.

Question 3:

This is going to make or break your tune. It's not that the vocal is too loud, the piano is too soft. First of all, if you can
    turn it up, do so. If it's already at peak volume think about some compression. Insert the
    compressor as an FX on the piano track and try playing with some of the presets. You might have to lower the volume on the
    piano track if it's a full volume already. If you don't like any of the presets, try
    looking at what the various presets do to the knobs and widgets, and then adjust them yourself. You're not going to ruin any
    presets or break anything, just keep playing with it until you get a sound that you like.

The piano might be able to use some light delay or some light reverb as well. Project5 comes packaged with those FX
    as well. Do some playing with those and see if it helps your mix.

Back to Question 2:

One tried and true trick with vocals is to make a copy of your vocal track so that you now have two vocal tracks. Once
    you have two tracks, pan one of them 25-30% left and pan the other 25-30% right. Make sure they're symmetrical. This naturally
    widens the soundstage for the vocal mix. You can go even further and add a VERY SLIGHT bit of delay to one of the vocal tracks
    and maybe lay off some of the reverb. With some experimentation you'll be amazed at how your voice sounds.

I know you said you didn't want to download anything, but many of these problems could have been solved if you were using
    a master limiter or compressor as you recorded. Check out THIS SERIES
    of free plugins. Having these initially may have helped you out a lot in the first place.

These are just ideas off the top of my head, perhaps someone else smarter than me will pop in here with some more ideas.

WC
    post edited by wgcabp - 2005/12/05 14:19:07
    triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/06 01:09:41 (permalink)
    hey welcome to the forum....

I'd Back off on reverb a little bit. you probably don't want it to have so much tail on the reverb.

Reverb should be sensed not heard.

Make sure you put a short and long reverb on your aux bus. The long one will bring the piano and the vocals into the same room. Right now it sounds like the piano and vocals are in different rooms.

Also you might want to consider compressing the vocals. This will tighten them up and bring them forward.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/06 02:14:16 (permalink)
    refreshing track. this is the forum you want to post in. friendliest forum on the web. lot of diversity here and just plain good people.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/06 06:33:59 (permalink)
    P5 allows you to create ANYTHING, no one said there had to be drums, heavily edited .sfz files from a B Rock tutorial, or looped acidized wave files. There is NOTHING wrong with solo piano and vocal.
    Couldn't agree more, Will. The more diversity that's displayed here with [track]s in all "genres" (I hate that word; it's all music), the more this point is driven home. I even gave the solo piano route a run. That's what pushed the envelope for me personally.

Post it, Sam. They will listen.
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/06 08:27:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: triscuit

Just to play a bit of devil's advocate here... I think that subtlety is often missed by the listener altogether. I prefer to use reverb quite liberally and in fact OVERuse it intentionally. I like to make a spectacle of it. Maybe even showcase it in the instance where the vocals aren't up to par. I know this works better in the genre I produce, and I whole-heartedly agree with Tristan...I just wanted to note the exception to the rule. There's ALWAYS an exception in music!
    triscuit
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/06 13:56:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Digital Aura

ORIGINAL: triscuit

Just to play a bit of devil's advocate here... I think that subtlety is often missed by the listener altogether. I prefer to use reverb quite liberally and in fact OVERuse it intentionally. I like to make a spectacle of it. Maybe even showcase it in the instance where the vocals aren't up to par. I know this works better in the genre I produce, and I whole-heartedly agree with Tristan...I just wanted to note the exception to the rule. There's ALWAYS an exception in music!

Oh I agree.......but I think that it should be used as an effect. Not as your basic structure. Plus, let's be serious.......the p5 reverb sucks. Turn it up too high and your mix will turn into mud. I'm not saying that this mix is too muddy. I'm just saying if you used a Lexicon hardware reverb instead, the results woould be about a hundred times better.
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/06 15:41:35 (permalink)
    Okay...NOW I will disagree with you WHOLEHEARTEDLY!! LOL

I love the P5 reverb! Why don't you like it!? I use it as my MAIN reverb on almost EVERY track and for certain in the Auxes.
    I sometimes use Glaceverb in its place, but typically the P5 studioverb is one of my favourites!!

but... maybe i dont get out much.
    fschmierer
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/06 15:42:38 (permalink)
    Hi Sam!

I really enjoyed your song and your vocal. The vocal sounded good to me, but agree that it would be good if you brought up the piano volume a tad.

Regarding forums; since you use P5, this forum is invaluable. These folks are so nice and helpful, you would miss out if you stop frequenting here.

That said, I don't think there is anything wrong with also frequenting other forums if they suit your needs. Just be careful, too many and it will get in the way of making music! Personally, I hang out at two forums. I find additional feedback on my work helpful.

Fred Schmierer

My friends call me Pap.
    samhoff
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/07 10:41:47 (permalink)
    I tried to take as much advice as I was given. I:
    1. doubled the vocal track, panned one right 30 and the other left 30;
    2. compressed them using the compressor that comes with P5 (I had no idea what to use for settings so dinked around a little and ended up with attack of 1.0, release of 200.0, threshold -4.0, ratio of 4.0, predelay of 4.0).
    3. bussed everything through to a reverb of Piano room, Medium, so it was all reverbed the same.

Then I tried to play the bugger. The vocals were WAY too loud, presumably because doubling adds to the volume. Then I tried to balance it out so the piano and voice were even. (That’s the toughest part!). Then I listened to it versus the original and WOW what a difference! (Listen to both of them here.) The vocals sound so much more crisp and clear; I realize now how muddled it is in the original. I think that’s the compressor doing the work, no?

So, what now? I know I need to read up on compression because I still don’t really understand it. What happens if you add too much? What setting(s) do you all use, and since I know I'm going to get the standard answer, "Use your ear," let me ask, what should I be listening for?

Also I tried to download those free files; unzipped as dll’s, thought I put them in the correct directory but can’t seem to pull them up inside P5. A little help appreciated there.

Thanks everyone for the help thus far,

Sam
    wgcabp
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/07 11:31:36 (permalink)

Also I tried to download those free files; unzipped as dll’s, thought I put them in the correct directory but can’t seem to pull them up inside P5. A little help appreciated there.

Sam,

Can't tackle all of your stuff right now, kinda in a hurry. So one thing at a time. Here's the deal with the plugins you downloaded:

Look in C:\program files\... and see if you have a folder for Steinberg. If you don't, great. If you do, put the .dll files in ...Steinberg\VSTplugins

If you don't have that folder, here's what I would do:

MAKE SURE P5 isn't running, then:

1) Create a folder on your hard drive, anywhere you like, and call it VSTplugins

2) Inside of the VSTplugins folder, make a new folder called "Kjaerhus"

3) Wherever you put the .dll files in the first place, move them from there to the new VSTplugins\Kjaerhus folder

*NOTE* B-Rock, our technical guru here on the forum gave me this great piece of advice. You can organize your plugins by company, or any other way you want to organize them. The reason you might want to do that is eventually you get so many plugins that you dont' know which is which, this helps you organize them. The Cakewalk VST adapter, which is the next thing we'll do, basically ignores anything in your VSTplugins folder that is NOT a .dll file

4) Now you need to run the Cakewalk VST adapter program. You'll find it in the Start menu under the Cakewalk folder.

5) When you run the program, browse to the "VSTplugins" folder so you're telling the adapter where your plugins are.

6) Follow the prompts, all the program is doing is finding your VST plugs and doing some magic so they can be used with P5.

When the VST adapter program is finished, fire up P5. Highlight a track, go over to the left and click on the red FX button. You'll see an entry there now for "VST". Your new plugins should now be available to you from that menu.

If you have trouble with this, post again, pretty much anyone here can help you with this process.

I'll listen to your tune later, glad you're having some success.

WC

triscuit
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/07 13:32:54 (permalink)
    Yeah it sounds much better I must say.

It sounds like you overcompressed a tad.

Compression is a very involved topic.

Read up on it, but for now the most important settings are the threshold and the attack. For vocals I usually set the realease to max. The attack adjusts how fast the compressor is going and the theshold tames the peak. The P5 compressor is kind of hard to use because you can't see where the sound is peaking. I set the attack then adjust the threshhold. The point is so you tame the peak and make the sound louder without crushing the sound. Just make sure you can hear some dynamics.

Also, it sounds a little wide. Right now I'm into setting the width to a more narrow field so you can place the sounds in the stereo field more easily.
    wgcabp
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/08 00:50:58 (permalink)
    1. doubled the vocal track, panned one right 30 and the other left 30;

Sam,

It sounds a lot better, great work.

Were you able to get the VST plugins installed and working via the method I described earlier today??

The reason I suggested doubling the vocal track was NOT to get more stereo separation, but it's a quick and easy way to get more "richness" out of the vocals. Your voice is already very warm, so I was thinking that this little trick would thicken up the vocal track enough and bring more "forward" in the mix WITHOUT having to use a lot of compression. I agree that there needs to be some compression on the vocals, but right now the vocal track is not the problem. The problem is that the piano still sounds distant and thin.

The vocals sound so much more crisp and clear; I realize now how muddled it is in the original.

You're starting to get the picture. Or rather, hear it.

So, what now? I know I need to read up on compression because I still don’t really understand it. What happens if you add too much?

I'm not an expert on compression so I'm not going to give you bad advice. I'm also not in front of my audio computer so I can't play around and give you some ideas. Threshold and Attack are the two most important items to play with, I think Triscuit gave you a couple of starting points earlier, I hope those helped.

Compression is a "dynamics processor", think of it that way. A good compressor will make your "softs" not too soft and your "louds" not too loud, while at the same time preserving your intention with the dynamics of your music. You'll know when you've added too much compression when your mix starts to sound "squishy", or if you start to hear some audio artifacts. Used correctly, compression will make the piano "stand out" while still making the vocals the "center of attention". It's a delicate balance, but one I'm sure you'll find, you seem very motivated.

Having said all of that, I personally much prefer the compressor I had you download from the Kjaerhus site. You could spend a lot of money on a commercial compressor plugin, and I'm not saying that those aren't better than what I had you download, however, for a free plugin I think this one is terrific and better than the one included with P5. So, I hope you were able to get those VST plugins installed via my earlier post. It's also a bit easier to use than the one included with P5.

Now what you want to do, besides read up on compression, is to start to play with how you can get the piano more "forward" in the mix without taking away the center of attention from the vocals. A bit of reverb and the right recipe of compression and you'll get there. Tomorrow I'll try to look at it again and give you some more specific details.

WC

EDIT: Sam, I replied to another post you wrote HERE If you have time I would like you to read it...
    post edited by wgcabp - 2005/12/08 00:58:34
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/08 20:20:20 (permalink)
    were's the track? am i missing something?
    post edited by :10: - 2005/12/08 20:21:05

samhoff
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/08 21:41:34 (permalink)
    (Listen to both of them here.)

Here is here.

I guess that dark green looks a bit too much like black on your screen :10:

Sam

PS I was going to make this a separate post, but while I'm already typing . . .
    What advice would you guys give me for recording my own "on-hold" message for my office? And for recording a talking ad for the radio? I own a business and we are talking about doing both of these since I now have recording software. I assume that I just record my voice, talking, then double it, then compress it a bit, and that's it. . . right? (Ie take the advice that's already been given here) Any other advice would be welcome. Obviously, for the "on hold" message quality matters little since it's all coming through a phone line to people's ear. But the radio ad I would think that I should shoot for very good quality. Would it be acceptable to save as 128 KBps MP3 to e-mail to the station? (The idea is that this is going to save me having to go to the studio to record).

post edited by samhoff - 2005/12/08 21:56:43
    wgcabp
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/08 23:55:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: :10:
    were's the track? am i missing something?

Hey Sean,

It would be way cool if you could help Sam out, you know so much about the things he's asking.

Sam, your link isn't good. Direct people to HERE INSTEAD to hear your songs.

WC

ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/09 20:20:27 (permalink)
    Sam:

I won't weigh in on the technicalities of recording vox and piano as I know next to nothing about either.

But I will comment on your voice. My god man you sound like Ian Anderson! Your voice has a complex multi-tonal quality that sounds great. I really enjoy your phrasings too. I hear a subtle gravely quality in your voice that sounds great to my ears.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to hearing more.

Eric
    James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/09 23:45:56 (permalink)
    samhoff,

I like to read, well only if it's about pro audio and computers. Well, Pocket PCs too, I have to add them in also; hx2750 owner here.

Anyway, the majority of the time I go to Borders or Barnes and Nobles and just read the books there on audio while guzzling down about 3 Lattes and 4 cappachinos. If you can, buy Sound on Sound magazine or visit the website, Sound On Sound Magazine Type in the search box "Recording vocals" and commence to reading all that you find.

Here is an article I was reading once that is saved as one of my vocal favorites when I first wanted to start recording, How to record Vocals read other great books about recording too, you will learn a great deal.

Also, never become discouraged by what folks say about your music, alway see it as constructive criticism that will help you improve.

Peace
    post edited by James D - 2005/12/09 23:50:19

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    philchetcuti3
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1361
    RE: [Track] First track with vocals, help please 2005/12/10 02:50:43 (permalink)
    Very well done I thought.
    Bright, crisp and nothing gets lost.
    Me, I would have slapped a very small bit of reverb on the voice (but then I'm a gimmick pig).
    Also, I would have duplicated the piano track, panned one far left and the other far right and left the voice right down the centre.

So, you're available to do voice over others compositions then eh?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1