Track Key Change - help please

Author
Miki Peters
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2017/06/23 12:45:28 (permalink)

Track Key Change - help please

I'm obviously doing something wrong or not understanding what I should be doing in the first place!
Background - my wife's the singer and from karaoke version we download (as MP3s) her backing tracks as individual instrument tracks. We do this as we often need to change the key for the best possible results on stage. We used to use pro-tools (sorry for the bad language) and it was quite simple, but sometimes tracks did go muddy. Anyway the Mac died and so we thought we'd use the Laptop we had, as is a good one (13 or i5 processor), and invest in Sonar - Producer
Current methods - I did try highlighting a track individually then doing PROCESS - TRANSPOSE and then various options within there but nothing seemed to change. I manage to get the key changed (very long way around it and sometimes seems to put the tracks out of sink) by doubly clicking a track, then clicking CLIP PROPERTIES in the new bit that pops up, then clicking on GROVE-CLIPS and making changes in there. Often it doesn't let me click in the ENABLE LOOPING check box as the BEATS IN CLIP is too high (normally 512), therefore I have to check the STRETCH TO PROJECT TEMPO (leave this to 100 once checked) the click the FIN PITCH CENTS and change the value up or down. Like I said this seems to work but when I export it out as a single MP3 it often seems to leave the tracks out of sink
I have looked under the help menu but highlighting a track and clicking on TRACK PROPERTY has the KEY CHANGE +- still geyed out,
HELP ME PLEASE
Thanks

2 Replies Related Threads

reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Track Key Change - help please 2017/06/23 20:14:52 (permalink)
    It sounds like you are on the right track in what you are doing.  The ways I know how to transpose the pitch of an audio file are the following:

1. Process->Transpose. I haven't used this much so I don't know how far you can go without it sounding funny
    2. Use a program like Melodyne that analyses the audio and lets you move the pitches around.

As far as I know commands like "groove clips", "Fit to Time", "Length" etc don't change the pitch of clips only their timing.

If you are transposing many tracks and they are not staying in sync then one thing you can do is mix all the tracks together and export them as one stereo full song. Then you can transpose the whole song. Of course this would also transpose drums and everything with it. If you don't want the drums or other non-pitched instruments to change then you will have to transpose tracks individually and then play them together to make sure that they are in sync. If they aren't then you may have to do Process->Fit to Time to make them slightly longer or shorter to match up in time.

Sounds like you have tried some of these so good luck

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: Track Key Change - help please 2017/06/23 20:51:57 (permalink)
    You can't use Process->Transpose on a groove clip.  It doesn't do anything and doesn't produce any error or warning (which is super-lame).  Most likely you groove clipped your audio and that's why Process->Transpose isn't working.  Select the clip.  Hit Ctl-L (to ungroove clip it), or right click and unselect Groove-Clip Looping, or uncheck Looping under Groove Clip in the clip properties.  Then do Process->Transpose, check transpose audio, choose one of the types based on what the clip is (you may only have this choice if you are running Platinum), for mixed audio I'd say try Radius Mix or Radius Mix Advanced (might want to try them all to see what works best).  Hit OK.  Process bar should come up and process your audio.  When you play it, it will be transposed.

-Matt

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1