Track View jumping to parent track when selecting Takes

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2014/06/04 12:33:18 (permalink)

Track View jumping to parent track when selecting Takes

This is driving me NUTS and I am hoping it is just a setting somewhere I am overlooking. I already posted a thread about this a while ago but didn't get a confirmation or answer.

I have two tracks I am recording into simultaneously with lots of takes. If I select a take lane or clip in one track the try to Ctrl select the corresponding take in the other track the screen jumps up to show the Parent Track if it is offscreen. This would be annoying enough as it is but what happens on top of that is it acts as a drag select so a bunch of the other crap between the clip/take I actually want gets selected as well (like because of the jump the cursor is dragged over that other material and gets selected too and sometimes drops the FIRST selection in the other tracks which doesn't really make any sense).

Please... if anyone knows how to stop this let me know. I do not have Auto Zoom enabled or anything but it seems like this may be one of those "helpful features" set by default. I do NOT need to see the parent track every time I touch something.

Thank you.
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2015/02/11 13:38:30

27 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/04 13:03:17 (permalink)
    I just dug through all of the relevant context menus for the TV and Preferences options and could not find a single thing that could affect this behavior. I tried disabling Scroll Lock on my keyboard (which I do anyway for playback) and nada.

I'm feeling this may be something I'm stuck with and that it may be a poorly thought out intended behavior. Am I the only one having a problem with this?
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/04 13:12:06 (permalink)
    More detail...

At first I thought it was somewhat weirdly intermittent but now I am realizing that the jumping happens when I scroll up or down to another track and select a take or clip.

Example: If I select a take on one track with the parent track partially or completely offscreen then the jump MAY or may not occur but if I clear the selection and/or multiple selections (the multiple ones being faulty drag/multi selects) the scroll the parent track partially or completely offscreen then it no longer jumps.

After THAT though if I scroll to another track and have the Parent track partially or completely offscreen it will DEFINITELY jump to the parent track. If I clear the slections then I can make the single selection even if the parent track is partially or fully offscreen... BUT that means I've cleared the original selection in the OTHER track and if I return to make that slection again then the it WILL jump to the parent track and multi select.

This is nuts.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/04 16:38:53 (permalink)
    I'm not sure whether this will solve your problem because it's a workaround, but the way I deal with multiple tracks that have multiple take lanes is to keep both parent tracks visible by reducing the height to show the Take Lane on/off buttons. I can then show Take Lanes in one track and select the desired Take, then hide those Take Lanes. show the Take Lanes for the other track, and ctrl-click on the other Take.

If you have lots of takes, this method won't let you see all the Take Lanes at one time during the selection process - basically you keep Take Lanes hidden until you want to select or edit something - but if you go back and check, Sonar will retain whichever Take you selected in each track until changed.

As you've found, the key is to make sure the parent track is onscreen before doing selections. If you don't have lots of takes on multiple tracks, this isn't too difficult, otherwise the show/hide button is a big help. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/04 17:05:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the insight, Craig. Seems like a lot of extra messing around and I kind of don't trust things I can't see doing what they're supposed to but I'll mess around with that. What I REALLY need to do is simply remember to employ the Group Clips In Folders option before recording.

I can KIND of see the logic in the program jumping to show the selection in the parent track... KIND of but it's not something I need to see and as someone who creates a LOT of takes as I try out ideas or tighten up my parts it is much more of a pain than any kind of help. I certainly hope in the next version or if there is another patch (which I doubt there will be nor do I really think one is necessary) that this will be looked at. It is majorly distracting to have things bouncing around like that and downright annoying when it registers the movement of the bounce as a drag maneuver.

I managed to figure out a flow that allowed me to do what I was doing (which was manually grouping clips in the two tracks to each other) so it got done. Honestly I can't even recall EXACTLY how I was doing it now but it involved clicking on the clips instead of the lane select button and being REALLY careful about how, where and when I made the second selection and when I right clicked to access the context menu. The weird thing is that the LAST time I was having this problem clicking on the clips was causing the issue more and using the Take Lanes select button was the solution.

Weird.

Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/04 17:14:32 (permalink)
    Actually... I'm powered down now but I don't think your way would solve this particular issue because the problem occurs when I make my selection in one track then navigate to another to make another selection. That second track is the one that jumps so if I closed the take lanes I wouldn't be able to make my selection.

Oof. This problem seems to be part Auto Zoom (which I have turned off anyway) part Comping/Take Lanes weirdness and part fractional scrolling deficiency. Like all these features are creating a perfect storm for this to happen.

Whatever... I'll get used to it I guess. Cheers.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/04 18:32:28 (permalink)
    Beepster
    Actually... I'm powered down now but I don't think your way would solve this particular issue because the problem occurs when I make my selection in one track then navigate to another to make another selection. That second track is the one that jumps so if I closed the take lanes I wouldn't be able to make my selection.

Give it a try, there may be a variation of that workflow that works for you. When you close the first track, it should open up space for the second track, and then you can make your selection. Remember, the key point is to have both tracks closed and visible toward the top of the screen at the same time. But, I'm not sure what would happen if you had so many takes they wouldn't all fit on one screen.

My guess is that this behavior is optimized for comping. In that case, jumping to the parent track is really helpful so you know what bits and pieces are recorded where, and can see an overview. 

Meanwhile, you can group the takes in folders and pretend you remembered to group clips in folders before recording. I do feel the comping feature is one where you gain a huge advantage for a specific (and the most common) use case but give up some other niceties for other use cases.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/04 19:15:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's the thing. I almost always end up with so many takes that if I am viewing the bottom most ones the parent track is completely offscreen. This is because I write into the DAW section by section which takes up a ton of takes. Then I'll clean that up by flattening and deleting the segments but then I'll record as I practice the part to polish it and make little tweaks until I start getting some final takes... so I'll clean up that mess and then record a ton of the now practiced/polished takes so I can pick the best one or splice them together (but usually I tried to play the entire song perfectly to avoid too much editing and... well to me I feel like I'm cheating if I slice and dice too much).

I basically do a ton of work in the lanes area. This all gets made worse because of the minimum height of the lanes and my not so huge (but by no means small) monitor.

And I LOVE Comping mode. Wouldn't trade it for anything. It's just this jumping thing that's a problem. It would be nice if there was a TV Views menu option for Show Parent Track On Selection or something that could disabled.

However this only seems to happen once within a track. Basically the first selection or action taken will make the screen jump then I can scroll down so the parent track is offscreen and do stuff without it jumping again. If I switch to another track then it will jump again then be normal. Usually. So it doesn't seem to actually be intended behavior.

Either way I've kind of got my head wrapped around it. I just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or if this was known behavior. If it happens to you too then I guess it's confirmed so I'll just deal with it and maybe submit a report/request. I gotta call the lads at support soon anyway about some other stuff so maybe I'll mention it then.

Cheers and thanks for your input.
    Dan Cate [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1277
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 10:41:46 (permalink)
    Hi Beepster,

I'm trying to reproduce what you are describing and am having some difficulty. Could you post a video of the behavior by chance?

Thanks!
    Daniel Cate [Cakewalk]  
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 10:45:53 (permalink)
    Hi, Dan. Thanks for popping in. Unfortunately I do not have video capture software (or skills) at the moment but I'll fire up the DAW and type up a sure fire recipe. Back in a bit.
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 11:08:14 (permalink)
    Record Mode = Comping
    Auto Track Zoom = Off

1) Insert 2 audio tracks into project and arm for recording

2) Record into both tracks multiple times creating enough takes/lanes that when viewing the bottom most take of either track the parent track is pushed offscreen upward. Leave the take lanes for both tracks open.

3) Select a CLIP in a lane at the bottom of the first track with the parent track offscreen.

4) Scroll down to a take at the bottom of the second track and Ctrl select a clip in a *NON corresponding take lane*.

5) Now right click to open up the right click options menu. The screen will jump to the parent track.

Fortunately this does not seem to select other clips and is how I've been working around the issue. It is still very distracting and sometimes the selection gets dropped and I do believe I have had instances where other clips get selected but I think that was from holding down the Ctrl + Click combo while right clicking.

** I say Non Corresponding because if the clips have been grouped for editing then the corresponding take/clip will already be selected and the screen will not jump when you right click. However if the clips are NOT grouped and you Ctrl select the corresponding clip then it WILL jump.

So if you can reproduce these then hopefully you can just toss it on the development team's list of things to look at. If not maybe I've got a setting wrong or something. Either way thanks for looking at this.

Cheers.
    post edited by Beepster - 2014/06/05 11:30:40
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 11:11:02 (permalink)
    Oh and the above can be duplicated even if the parent track is only partially offscreen. It just isn't as dramatic because it's just nudging the parent track to be completely viewable. The affect of this can be minimized or avoided by making the parent track as vertically small as possible.

Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 11:36:42 (permalink)
    Oh ferchrissakes... I just edited the original post with the other method. I meant to quote it. Gah.

Okay... retyping the ORIGINAL recipe now.

Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 11:43:21 (permalink)
    This is the first recipe I posted.

Record Mode = Comping
    Auto Track Zoom = Off

1) Insert 2 audio tracks into project and arm for recording

2) Record into both tracks multiple times creating enough takes/lanes that when viewing the bottom most take of either track the parent track is pushed offscreen upward. Leave the take lanes for both tracks open.

3) Select a take lane at the bottom of the first track with the parent track offscreen using the blue select button (the one beside the MSR controls). The screen will not jump.

4) Scroll down to a take at the bottom of the second track so the parent track is offscreen.

5) Using the blue select button select the take lane.

The screen will jump to show the parent track and all the lanes in between the selection and where the cursor lands after the jump will be selected as if I drag selected all those lanes.

Okay... sorry for the screwup. lol...

Dan Cate [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1277
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 11:58:49 (permalink)
    Hi Beepster,

I was able to reproduce the jumping when selecting the take strip. However, I was not able to reproduce just selecting clips. I'd like to get to the bottom of that since these cases typically need to be handled individually. If you have a recipe for that please let me know.

I think I understand the workflow you are doing here. You are taking a clip from Track X and applying its selection range to track Y. If this is a case where you need to maintain phase between two tracks recording the same instrument (i.e. Bass DI and Bass Amp or Acoustic guitar with 2 mics) or if you just want to edit two tracks in parody, try using the multi-track grouping feature (right click record button, and pick group all clips or group all clips in folders before you do your record passes). This creates clip groups between the two tracks so clip 1 on track 1 take 1 is grouped with clip 1, track 2 take 1. Any clip edit gestures (slip, isolate, etc..) are duplicated across both clips. This saves having to go back and forth between the two takes. You can also group clips after they are recorded. Select the two clips or all clips in the corresponding takes you would like to group, right click and choose "Create Selection Group". Same edit rules apply. 

I'm not saying this shouldn't be fixed, just offering an alternative that may be a better workflow for this situation and would avoid this issue.

Thanks

Thanks!
    Daniel Cate [Cakewalk]  
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 12:12:27 (permalink)
    Hi, Dan. So the clip selection jump doesn't actually happen when I select the second clip but when I Right Click after the selection to access the menu.

The funny thing is you are right about the Clip Grouping and I am now using the Group Clips In Folders option while recording however what I was actually trying to do was group clips I had already recorded with the option off (I thought they could be automatically grouped AFTER recording but that is not the case). So when I tried to right click to get at the clip grouping option that is when the jumps would happen.

After messing with it I have a decent workflow to get these things done and in fact I think there is a keybinding for grouping clips which would avoid having to use the right click menu anyway but there may be other functions in that menu that I need to get at which might again trigger this behavior.

Actually it seems to mostly have something to do with just scrolling to a different track's take lanes and not necessarily two tracks recorded simultaneously so it may occur when simply moving to another track and doing something which I will try out now.

Anyway, I am very happy you confirmed checked it and hope you see the right click behavior as well. Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 12:30:32 (permalink)
    I just confirmed that the Right Click jump does not only happen with two tracks recorded simultaneously nor does it require tons of takes. The only thing that needs to happen is the parent track of the second track needs to be completely or partially offscreen.

So lets say I do not want to create a selection group because why would I want my guitar and snare drum tracks linked? But I DID want to say trim the end of a song or process an effect or bounce or anything else in that right click menu. I would select the clips, then right click and JUMP!

Not a huge deal and obviously it doesn't seem to affect many people otherwise it would have been mentioned before but yeah... just kind of wonk behavior.

There is enough info in here now though for decent workarounds and confirmation that it is acknowledged by Cake so we have it archived. I'm gonna post a link to this thread in Alex's X3e consolidated outstanding issues thread.

Cheers.
    Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 13:19:06 (permalink)
    Hi there
    To clarify what were the final steps to repro here, the expected and actual behaviour? Would be nice to get all the steps and behaviours into one post so it's easy peasy and quick to validate thanks.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 13:44:10 (permalink)
    CakeAlexS
    Hi there
    To clarify what were the final steps to repro here, the expected and actual behaviour? Would be nice to get all the steps and behaviours into one post so it's easy peasy and quick to validate thanks.

Post #11 and #14 contain the entire recipes for both variations (#11 describes a jump upon right clicking and post #14 describes jumping using the Take Lanes selection button).

Both, if executed to completion, should result in the screen jumping to the parent track at the very least and in the case of the #14 will result in unwanted take lane selections.

The intended behavior should be no screen jumping or unwanted selections occurring.

This happens because the program wants to show the selected clip in the parent track which in some cases could be construed as desired behavior but IMO isn't. If this is something that is deemed a desired behavior there should be an option to turn it off.

The extra selections is most definitely not in any case desired behavior (otherwise the user would select those takes).

The jump when Right Clicking is most likely not desired behavior in any situation either because the user simply wants to access the Right Click menu however if it IS deemed to be desired behavior than the option to disable it (mentioned above) should correct it.

Also if the behavior of selected clips being shown in the parent track was intentional then it would also happen when making selections of takes/clips in any track at all times. This only happens when scrolling to a DIFFERENT track and making a selections or right click in the combination of steps detailed above. Therefore it is obviously not how the Bakers intended the program to operate as confirmed by Mr. Cate upthread.

That should cover it. I could update my post in your thread to point to this or post a follow up or you could simply point to this in your OP. Not sure how you handle that so I'll leave it to you and/or check back later and update where necessary.

Cheers.
    Splat
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 14:25:41 (permalink)
    Thanks I'll check it.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    Splat
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 14:48:12 (permalink)
    Thanks reproduced as well. Is there an issue number for this cheers?

STEPS
    1) New project
    2) Right click record button and set it to comping
    3) View -> Auto track zoom set to untick.
    4) Insert 2 audio tracks into project and arm for recording
    5) Set a loop point for say 4 bars and record 10 loops.
    6) Expand takelanes for both tracks.
    7) Select a CLIP (T1) in a lane at the bottom of the first track with the parent track off screen.
    8) Scroll down to a take at the bottom of the second track and Ctrl select a clip in a *NON corresponding take lane*.
    9) Right click the first selected takelane (T1).

EXPECTED
    The options menu appears.

ACTUAL
    The options menu appears and focus is shifted to the top (scroll up) of the track.

STEPS CONTINUED
    10) Repeat steps 7 + 8.
    11) On the second track, find a lane at the bottom (so parent is offscreen). Then left click the blue button (above the X button) on that lane.

EXPECTED
    Blue button goes grey.

ACTUAL
    Blue button goes grey and focus is shifted to the top (scrolls up) off the track..

Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 15:45:12 (permalink)
    Hi, Alex. No report number because Dan looked at it here so I figure it's in good hands.

Also it seems that:

a) It doesn't matter if the tracks were recorded simultaneously. This can be reproduced with any track in a project.

b) It doesn't matter if there are two takes in a track or twenty. Just as long as the parent track is offscreen it will jump. So let's say you have two takes in the second track and they are stretched out enough that the parent track is offscreen. Selecting the lane or right clicking after selection will still make the jump occur.

I'm sure I could force it in other ways too but have some other things to do. I'm just glad it's confirmed and getting some love from the Bakers.

Cheers and thanks, all.
    Splat
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2014/06/05 16:21:33 (permalink)
    It would be extremely difficult for any of us to track and identify when it is fixed without a number. So I would strongly recommend logging it in problem reporter unless Dan can provide an issue number :) Either way thanks. Cheers...

Splat
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2015/02/11 12:43:58 (permalink)
    #21 needs to be validated in Platinum. For the moment I'm throwing this thread into the problem reports forum. If this is validated again we will need a CWBRN so we can put it in the subject title.

Thanks..

Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2015/02/11 12:57:54 (permalink)
    Thanks, Alex. As soon as someone can reproduce it I'll get off my lazy arse and submit the report. I just let it slide because I spent a few months doing other things so I kind of forgot about it. Sorry.

Cheers.
    Splat
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2015/02/11 12:58:56 (permalink)
    No need to apologise... Sorry I'm not in front of Sonar right now, in fact I haven't been for several days... just winging it . I hope somebody validates this before I do...

Cheers!

Splat
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2015/02/12 14:30:08 (permalink)
    I have some news... Cannot reproduce #21 in Platinum!
    Boing... I'll throw this back into the Sonar forums as the issue was already fixed... 

Cheers!

Beepster
    Re: OMG! I absolutely NEED the Track View to stop jumping to parent track when selecting T 2015/02/12 14:37:27 (permalink)
    That is indeed good news. Thank you for checking, Alex. It can make editing across multiple tracks loaded with takes a real bear.

One more thing to look forward to.

And thank you, Bakers for fixing it.

:-)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1