Trackball vs. Joystick for Surround Mixing

Author
dubnemo
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/18 11:31:23 (permalink)

Trackball vs. Joystick for Surround Mixing

Has anyone tried to use a standard joystick for surround panning automation? I understand that Sonar now supports this. I have not found anything on these forums.

I have an old Gravis Blackhawk Digital Model 1017, but that uses a game port which my D945GNT motherboard does not have. I cannot find a USB->Game port adapter that supports digital or a PCI Gameport card that does NOT have an audio chipset on it.

My choice appears to be get rid of the Blackhawk and buy something new.

Questions:
1) a USB joystick seems overboard, can a USB or P2/2 /trackball work instead?
2) what have others used (other than an integrated approach included with a digital console or controller)?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

5 Replies Related Threads

FastBikerBoy
    Platinum Member
    • Total Posts : 9527
    RE: Trackball vs. Joystick for Surround Mixing 2009/01/18 11:48:37 (permalink)
    I haven't done any surround panning automation but I do use a trackball instead of a mouse as my day-to-day input device. It's USB and works fine. I think if many people tried a trackball they'd probably never want to see another mouse again.
    dubnemo
    RE: Trackball vs. Joystick for Surround Mixing 2009/01/18 13:06:20 (permalink)
    In fact, I cannot even get surround panning automation to work at all in Sonar 8 using the basic mouse movements. I have no idea how Sonar can display a 3D envelope per se, since this is a multi-dimensional problem. There is NO envelope created.

Scott Nieman
    dubNemoProductions 
    Minneapolis, MN 55412    
    Sonar X3 Producer Expanded x64      
    Presonus FireStudio Tube and Project (24ch - 24/96k)
    Intel DP67DE Motherboard; 16G DDR1333
    Intel Core i5-2500K (quad-core)
    GigaByte GeForce 210
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

seriousfun
    Silver Member
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: Trackball vs. Joystick for Surround Mixing 2009/01/18 14:09:27 (permalink)
    I do surround panning, with or without automation, with either a mouse/trackball or a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick (I stole it from my kids - suffer, boys). This joystick works in Vista x64 without any new drivers, which is a plus.

Detailed instructions are in the S8PE help file, and they are very simple.

You can click|drag the panner, while writing automation or not, with a trackball.

doug osborne | my day job
    dubnemo
    RE: Trackball vs. Joystick for Surround Mixing 2009/01/18 14:49:41 (permalink)
    I have read the instructions with the Joystick before, and it doesn't mention the trackball, hence the original question.

I start with Automatic Write Enable(d), hit play, drag the panning "balls" around using my mouse in the large Surround Panning window hoping to capture the automation, and hit stop when complete. FOR ME nothing happens during playback (automation is NOT recorded).

The fundamental issue I believe is how the movement captures the pan position/sphere; with the joystick you have apparently have to click the trigger button to create the analogous information to a "node" on a panning envelope. I do not understand how that is captured / possible with normal mouse drag movements or a trackball. The "node" information needs to be written somehow into the project file.

I will try to locate a force feedback joystick. I hate funding Microsoft, so I will seek others. Thanks.

Scott
    dubnemo
    RE: Trackball vs. Joystick for Surround Mixing 2009/01/21 10:39:18 (permalink)
    I found a USB Logitech Attack 3 joystick on craigslist for $10 and it works great! It has be slammed on some reviews as a crappy gaming joystick, but for surround panning, its definitely a functional and probably the least expensive unit out there.

I have all the buttons programmed for common mouse/ menu workflow tasks.

I do think that Sonar's track selection for the surround panning should be modified. I would like them to eliminate the need to navigate manually using Button2 to the track I would like to automate. I should only have to select the current track, and should be in scope.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1