Tracking Vocals with no Headphones

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2011/07/29 14:43:54 (permalink)

Tracking Vocals with no Headphones

Heard an interesting technique on a podcast yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone has evered try this.

Basically, the idea is to track vocals while monitoring through studio monitors (or any other kind of loudspeaker).

Once the vocals are recorded, record another track without vocals that includes only room and bleed from the speakers.

Then, sum them and reverse the polarity of the track without vocals.

Theoretically, you wind up with a vocal-only track that can then be mixed in with other tracks, etc.

Interesting idea.  I wonder if it really works?

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

17 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/29 15:41:52 (permalink)
    I can't get around how the artifacts of this would sound, Dave. I hear every little thing...and hearing "stuff" behind my vocal track would drive me nuts! I have guys that come in here to record that like to use their own headphones. Some of them like the cans to be super loud. This brings in so much music bleed during their tracking that I literally have to slip edit as much of it out as possible. I think it sounds horrible. I would think having monitors in the mix would make this even worse. But, until I've tried the technique, which I haven't, I won't knock it. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    agape
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/29 16:19:07 (permalink)
    Can't imagine that there is much, if any benefit to this. Sounds like a lot of work. I guess my question is what do you gain by doing that?
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/29 16:40:33 (permalink)
    Theoretically, Dave, it should work.

The question is, do you think it's worth it?  I think not.

But... it would be an interesting experiment to run just to see exactly how effective it is at removing the music.

I have done this experiment... it's quick and easy. Simply clone a track and reverse the phase... then mute one and click play...unmute and the music goes dead quiet.... very interesting thing to do.

Let us know if you use this method.

As a last resort.... studio time is scheduled, singer is on a tight time schedule, someone sat on and broke the last working headphones in the studio and all the stores are closed because it's 10pm on a Sunday night and Walmart is 100 miles away.... yeah, I would try that method and hope for the best.

But seriously ask yourself.... does anyone in the lower 48 of the USA live more than 20 minutes from a Walmart?
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/07/29 16:44:16

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/29 16:45:10 (permalink)
    I track my vocals without headphones, but I don't "erase" the background noise.  the benefit, for me, was that my vocals were closer on pitch than when I track with headphones.  if you're a vocalist you know what you sound like when you're singing without anything impeding what you hear.  but when you put headphones on you don't hear yourself the same way.  I had horrible trouble staying on pitch with headphones.

the bleed is minimal since I use only 1 speaker - set up the mix specifically for this purpose using heavy drums for timing and knocking out anything that I don't need to hear for the song to be used for me to sing along with.  I might leave only 1 guitar or only piano and drums, make a mono mix and pan send it only out of one speaker.  then I use a cardiod mic and I'm facing the speaker directly so that the speaker is in the blind spot of the mic.

mostly what I pick up are reflections off of the walls behind me (and they're diffused), but even that is so low in volume it doesn't bother me during mixing UNLESS I have to correct pitch at THAT point.  when I correct something with that backing track also on the vocal track then it "corrects" that sound as well which means it takes it "out of pitch" and makes a horrible artifact that way.

but honestly I don't see the problem that Danny is talking about (no disrespect intended - he might be able to tell I'm doing this from my mixes but I can't).  yes, I hear the very low volume backing track on the vocal track.  I mute the parts between where I'm singing (effectively gating my vocals for the "off" times) and the rest of it blends into the mix anyway.

I track vocals LAST.  that way there are no changes to the audio instrumentation which would clash with what I'm recording at low volumes on the vocal track.  that way I don't have the problem that Danny is talking about since it just blends into the mix with the rest of the instrumentation anyway.
    post edited by Beagle - 2011/07/29 16:47:30

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/29 17:12:30 (permalink)
    I have worked with a few singers who preferred speakers to headphones. The cancel out method does not include the room reverb that is added to the backing track and picked up so I don't think a perfect null will result.

But there is a way in the setup that can really reduce the backing track spill. You set up a vocal mic as usual but use figure 8 instead. (this does mean that the non recording side of the microphone will pickup any stray sound coming from that direction. So minimise the reflections on that side. It is still very low compared to the sound level on the other side)

You set up two small speakers either side of the microphone up at the mic height on two stands. They need to face towards the mike as well and partially to the singer.  And about say 2 feet distance from the mike. Mic must be in exact centre. You only feed out to the speakers very minimal chords etc and rhythm section, leave solos out. Roll off the highs a bit going to the speakers, put everything into mono and switch the phase of one of the speakers. Because of the phase switching, the sound right at the mic is very out of phase and quieter. And as the speakers are in the deep null point of the figure 8 then the mic hardly picks up anything coming from the sides. Speaker volume can be higher than you think too.

This works seriously well and you will be amazed at the level of the backing on the vocal track. It is almost inaudible. It is a great way to record vocals to existing music.

This is also a great way to record a large group of children to a backing track. Except put half of them on either side of the mic and point the speakers right at the null points of the microphone so they can hear the music either side.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/07/29 17:20:29

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/29 22:18:01 (permalink)
    Interesting Jeff, I'm going to give it a go. I'm very skeptical at the moment, but we'll see!

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/29 22:33:06 (permalink)
    Basically, I think the idea is that some singers would prefer to record this way instead of using headphones.  One thought I have is that when you are recording the non-vocal track (that will be summed) it may be best to have the singer in the same position they were in when recording the vocals to match any reflections coming off their body.  Maybe this is taking things too far, but seems logical to me.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/30 00:53:13 (permalink)
    You can really use the null effect of the figure 8 pattern. Yes it does work and very well. I don't do the speaker thing a lot but whenever I do I am always surprised at the result. This also works better than putting a speaker behind a cardioid mic and relying on the rejection at the rear of the mic. The null points of a figure 8 mic are much deeper and provide better rejection than being behind a cardiod mic. The stands are a bit fiddly but I adapted two microphone stands for the job. Building little platforms that screw onto a normal mic stand thread. That way you can set height easily etc..One speaker does not work quite as well as two mono out of phase speakers as well.

A couple of points though. It works best in a deader room not a very live one for obvious reasons.  Alter the mix being fed out to the speakers. With regard to the mix in the speakers, keep drums lower and leave out everything except only important information.

You can use two mics in figure 8 patterns to record a vocalist singing and playing guitar. If adjusted well you can get almost perfect separation between the two with almost no spill on those tracks.  The mics need to be set horizontally in front. Set the vocal mic pointing directly at the mouth and organise the null point to be aiming at the guitar. The guitar mic (which is twisted 90 degress to the vocal mic) points directly at the guitar and has its null aimed up at the vocalist.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/07/30 09:15:17

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/30 08:09:38 (permalink)
    This is interesting, I would much prefer not to use headphones cos I too find it harder to stay in key for some reason. Beagle I may try your instructions although it would reduce the chances of pristine studio quality record,but that dont mean that the song suffers I suppose.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/30 09:54:15 (permalink)
    One thing I do that really works well when tracking lead vocals is....if I can explain it now.....put headphones on and make sure they are completely turned down. Now sing so you hear your voice in your head and increase the headphones a little at a time so you can hear your head voice mixed in with your voice in the headphones. Next, increase the music you will be singing to so it is mixed right in between so you can still hear your head voice as well as a little of your voice in the headphones.

A few cool things this does...you're not forcing sound out to compete with the loud music in your headphones....because there isn't any. You're also hearing more of your real self because you can physically hear your head voice...and...you're so low you won't get any bleed. Also, if you need too, pull off one cup of the headphones if you need to on certain passages and push it against your head just off your ear so you don't get bleed. This works so well for me and my clients, I've found it to be the best method for hearing, keeping pitch, controlling bleed and controlling your voice without over-accentuating. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Beagle
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/07/30 10:15:15 (permalink)
    Hey, Danny - I've tried that as well.  it seems a little better than simply cranking up the volume on the headphones, but I still don't sing on pitch as well with headphones period.  I've tried open backed cans, I've tried one cup off (which is the SECOND best option compared to singing with speakers), I've tried adding reverb on my vocals as they go back into the mix in the headphones.  none of that is as good (for me) as singing with speakers.  I rarely sing off pitch with my method - with cans I am pretty bad.

If I had a good figure 8 mic, I might try Jeff's method - but I only have cardioids and omnis.

M@ B
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/08/03 10:14:26 (permalink)
    It might go without saying, but I would choose the a mic with the best off axis rejection for the open air takes. The sm7 comes to mind. Condensers may not be the best choice in this application.

Beagle
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/08/03 12:33:11 (permalink)
    M@ B

It might go without saying, but I would choose the a mic with the best off axis rejection for the open air takes. The sm7 comes to mind. Condensers may not be the best choice in this application.

and so you've reinforced my GAS for the SM7.  thanks! 

M@ B
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/08/03 13:15:42 (permalink)
    Beagle

M@ B

?

Edit:
    Did I stoke your SM7 fire, and are you on the fence? sorry 'bout that...
    I did lay a pretty nice vocal track with it today.
    Take the foam wind screen off when you, I mean, if you get one.

post edited by M@ B - 2011/08/04 01:27:35

Beagle
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/08/04 21:12:29 (permalink)
    M@ B

Beagle

M@ B

?

Edit:
    Did I stoke your SM7 fire, and are you on the fence? sorry 'bout that...
    I did lay a pretty nice vocal track with it today.
    Take the foam wind screen off when you, I mean, if you get one.

YES!  sorry I wasn't clear!  but I've been wanting an SM7 for a while.  there was an original (non-"b") on CL recently but I just couldn't lay down the cash for it.  I've spent a lot lately and need to reduce my GAS!

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/08/05 10:51:35 (permalink)
    my method of tracking vocals is fairly simple, and a good compromise for me.

one can on the ear, one off.

sometimes i'll actually pull both cans slightly off my ears, taking care to aim them away from the mic, just to hear certain tones.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Tracking Vocals with no Headphones 2011/08/05 14:32:39 (permalink)
    Ditto. 

I also usually put a low cut filter to remove a lot of what's in the low- low mid. I also often add a piano track playing the melody as a reference. But my vocals still suck. 

My fiancée has her own method of panning/sub-mixing that she uses when she works w/ headphones, and every singer she's worked with have adopted it - I guess I'll give that a try next time I do vocals.

Incidentally, I know we're supposed to lose hi frequencies with age, but I seem to be affected by the opposite problem - the low ends seem less distinct than they used to be. Though I guess this could be an illusion - maybe I'm losing harmonics on the high end which cause me to have a bit more difficulties identifying the fundamentals. :s

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1