Tracks keep mysteriously splitting in the take lanes

Author
cglensmith
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2017/11/16 22:36:36 (permalink)

Tracks keep mysteriously splitting in the take lanes

Well, I decided to use the comp feature to record multiple takes for the first time in a long time. After finishing three complete vocal recordings, the fourth one starts and I hit the stop control to end the session. I expand the clips in the take lanes only to discover that the tracks are all split exactly at the position where recording was stopped. I retried this multiple times and each time when I stop recording, all the take lanes get split right at that point. Has anyone else observed this ever happening?

I am getting tired of bandaging each take lane after I stop recording, so I'm wondering if anyone might have a helpful suggestion as to what might be causing this.... and don't just say me! ;) LOL

DAW Specs & Software: Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard, i7 920, 12 GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Windows 7 64bit, Sonar Platinum, Scarlett Focusrite 8i6

4 Replies Related Threads

Sylvan
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 793
    Re: Tracks keep mysteriously splitting in the take lanes 2017/11/16 22:45:55 (permalink)
    What you are describing is intended behavior. A new "take" is viewed as a "take," so for the duration of that take, it can be chosen as the keeper or not. 

For example:
    - You are recording 4 measures
    - Take 1 uses all four measures
    - Take 2 uses all four measures
    - Take 3 uses only measure 1

Now measure 1 is a "Take" across all three take lanes. You can choose take 3 for measure 1 and take 2 for measure 2, 3, and 4.

Or you can drag new boundaries to split each measure so you can easily choose takes my measure for any of the measures 1, 2, 3, or 4. 

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
    Asus X99-AII
    Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    cglensmith
    Re: Tracks keep mysteriously splitting in the take lanes 2017/11/17 20:07:24 (permalink)
    Hey Sylvan, thanks for your helpful reply!

Yeah. So, apparently, the only way to avoid inserting an unnecessary split would be to hit the "stop" control exactly at the very end of the loop point. I am a few feet away from the computer, so by the time I set down my guitar or get back from the mic to hit stop control this can occur anywhere in the recording, and that's where a random split is inserted. I have to admit that while this is the way it works, I don't see anything "intentional" about the point at which I stop recording. I haven't even begun comping things together at that point. Clearly, when I'm in the midst of a recording session, I'm not even thinking about how I might comp the takes together, until after I listen to them. When I am ready to split take lanes to build a comp track, I'd like to pick the spots and split with intention.

That said, I realize that this extra and unnecessary split is not heard when I eventually create a flattened comp. From a programming standpoint, Cakewalk must not consider this unnecessary split destructive. Regardless, it still seems like a destructive, rather than productive, way for this to work and that's why I was curious if anyone else had encountered this. As a programmer, the logic or value of inserting a useless split in all the takes, because I stop recording, just escapes me.

From a user perspective, I'm not a fan. When I decide that I need to start over and recreate a previously created comp or come back to a project the next day, I find myself thinking, "Hmm, why did I put that split there... Oh yeah, is that the one that Sonar arbitrarily inserts when I stop comp recording?" I know this might sound trivial or petty, but I just prefer it when software features perform the function associated with their actual name. Stop means "stop", not "split". Thankfully, they didn't program it so that splits are inserted in take lanes whenever we hit the "play" control!

Anyway, you answered my question by indicating that this is how Sonar behaves and likely has always worked, so that was very helpful. I'll just work around it. Thanks!  ;)

DAW Specs & Software: Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard, i7 920, 12 GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Windows 7 64bit, Sonar Platinum, Scarlett Focusrite 8i6
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Tracks keep mysteriously splitting in the take lanes 2017/11/17 20:36:44 (permalink)
    cglensmith
    Thankfully, they didn't program it so that splits are inserted in take lanes whenever we hit the "play" control!

Actually. It does create a split point if you start the recording where there are already take lanes. Basically, in the take lanes it generally only wants one take to be audible at a time. Therefore, if you record over a previous take only the portion you record over is muted in favor of the new take. If it didn't create split points it would have to mute clips in their entirety even if what you recorded only overlapped a tiny portion of the track.

With all that being said you can easily heal the splits in all takes by swiping across the whole clip with the comping tool.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    cglensmith
    Re: Tracks keep mysteriously splitting in the take lanes 2017/11/18 00:31:17 (permalink)
    Interesting. I confess that I am a rookie with this feature. Well, thankfully, the example you cite above is regarding "record"... not "play"! :) I guess that makes more sense to me, since there are takes below and the new recording might have some association to everything previously recorded. In the end, I don't have to agree with it, but splitting at the end of recording because I hit the stop control still seems to have no value. Anyway, that's the way it works.

And yes, swiping the bottom and across the whole take with Ctrl held down does "heal" everything up, so thanks for that tip! At least I can fix things, if I want to work with a clean slate, so that's likely the best and most helpful workaround.

Thanks Reginald!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1