Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!!

Author
CasperKincaid
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2007/04/10 04:50:46 (permalink)

Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!!

So I just bought Music Creator 3. I figured what the hell, I had the first one. However I never really learned to use it, just the real real basic stuff enough to get me by. Anyways, my problem is I cant record anything.

I have read all the troubleshooting jargan and did what it told me, still nothing. As far as I know I'm hitting the right buttons. I select my inputs, I arm the track, I hit record, the bar moves across the screen but no signs of any sound. Thus nothing is herd on the play back.

I AM able to record my guitar onto the microsoft sound recorder so It's not my inputs or sound card. It seems as though it is just cakewalk not recieving the signal. For instance the little keyboard with the 2 red lights...neither lights are on, which i am told tells you whether or not it's recieving MIDI(What the hell is MIDI?) sound or what ever. I dont have anything MIDI...that I know of. I'm just plugging my guitar/microphone straight into the mic input on the harddrive.

However, I do remeber from the last MC that the lights on the keyboard icon did light up, and if I remember right I had troubles getting that to work too, but eventually did. I have all the exact same equipment I did back then, with the exception of a better computer (Which could very well be the problem). I've tried everything I can think of (not knowing much about computers) and everything troubleshooting told me to do...whats next? Anyone have any ideas? PLEASE help!!!

8 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!! 2007/04/10 07:14:49 (permalink)
    Hi Casper,

Firstly, slow down and DON"T PANIC!

Secondly, 'audio' is sound, MIDI is digital information which is used to drive software synths, drum sequencers. hardware synths etc.

So, the red lights on the little keyboard have nothing to do with recording vocals, guitars, or audio sound from a keyboard.

Start again and tell us what you are trying to record, what with, and how...for example, plugging a mic into the mic input of your soundcard will not give you any usable sound, you need phantom power or another means of bringing the up mic input level - like a pre-amp or mixer.

If it's guitar you're recording, the best input is usually the 'line-in' on your soundcard - what soundcard do you have BTW? And give us some system specs while your at it.

Unfortunately it's not enough to tell us that 'you've done everything you can think of' - that could be everything or nothing

Don't worry. help is here!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    dendenmarury
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!! 2007/04/10 11:55:29 (permalink)
    I plugged a microphone straight into my SoundBlaster Live external mic input jack and recorded my voice with no problem, so I don't know if it's true that you need a mixer just to record your voice. Is your output to "master" or your sound card? Try running the wave profiler again.
    pantherhawk27263
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!! 2007/04/10 12:44:24 (permalink)
    It depends on the kind of mic you have. The cheapo ones I use don't need phantom power(dynamic mics). Higher end (the good stuff, like condenser mics) ones generally do need phantom power from an amp or preamp. I know from experience with my Yamaha keyboard that an instrument should be plugged into the line in jack, not the mic jack.

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!! 2007/04/10 12:56:59 (permalink)
    One does not need a mixer or interface to do the very basics, but to bring it all together it is vital. Sure you can get it to record the voice, but what about mixing and recording with headphones? what about lag due to te input echo issue. central control is best handled at a mixer or interface rather than at the software level.

If you plug a mike into the mike input and it records, then you plug a guitar into it it may over drive, because the guitar and the mike input both have gain. at times this can damage the input and card. Built in cards and cheap add ons were not designed for this purpose.

Guitars should be plugged into the line input, yet some sound card require that each input be turned on separately. So what is the best solution? Use a mixer and it will have both line and preamped mike input, then turn on the line in on the sound card and attach the mixer to it.

To check if line in is off on the sound card, go to start/control panel/ sounds and audio devices double click then find device volumes, and click advanced, the sound cards mixer applet will pop up, make sure both line and mike are checked (some cards do not allow both at the same time) if this is the case you will need to go back when changes are needed. Also check the box under device volumes that places the icon in the task bar, that way you can just double click the little speaker icon in the botton right hand of the screen to access this feature.

You can do this bare bones, but a couple good tools will make it better http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-802?sku=631263 this is one option that is worth it's weight in gold.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    CasperKincaid
    RE: Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!! 2007/04/10 17:40:37 (permalink)
    This might be useless to you, because I have no idea what stuff is other than...yeah thats the harddrive, yup, thats the monitor, ok thats the key board. But this is what I can tell you. I just bought this computer at Staples about 5 months ago. It is the Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. a1512x...whatever that means. I dont know what sound card it is.
    This is what I am doing, I'm plugging my guitar straight into the mic input, via an adapter for shrinking the 1/4 inch guitar chord into the 1/8 inch plug in thingy. I've tried both the front and the rear inputs on my computer. I open cakewalk MC3...creat new project, normal, ok. Audio 1...I go to the input bar and change it to, Stereo Realtek HD Digital Input (it's the only option they give me) I hit the record button (to arm in) then I hit the other record button to actually record...I strum my guitar turn the volume up and down to see if that works...and still nothing.
    I know my COMPUTER is recieving the sound because if I go to the microsoft sound recorder I can record my guitar and everything is fine. It's gotta be something in MC. I tried to find a "line-in" input but all I see that might resemble that is dot with to lines around it...kinda looks like a speaker, and it has an arrow pointing to it...anyways I tried that (front and rear) and still I got nothing.
    I click on the speaker icon on the bottum right of the screen (by the time of day) and make sure the mic input is on and the volume is up and what not. Everything is all good...as I said, microsoft sound recorder works. So what am I missing? There has to be something in Music Creator that I need to do. Are you sure the lights on the keyboard icon arent suppose to light up or blink? I swear they did on my old computer.
    I would really like to record music, this is frustrating me. Thank you for your replies.

Casper
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!! 2007/04/10 17:48:03 (permalink)
    The obvious is that you do not have audio configured in the system. With MC3 closed, do this, go to start at the bottom of the computer screen, click and then again on control panel, find advanced and make sure line in and mike in are checked or not muted.

Next openMC3 and look at the tool bar at the top of MC3 when opened, go to options/audio change the driver mode to MME and close and open the program, it should run the wave profiler, then go back to options/audio, and check for audio inputs, realtek should be listed for in and outputs.

If so then open an audio track and arm it, then hit record on the transport bar and strum away.

Side note look at the sound card jacks and see if you have a line in and use that rather than the mike in this will avoid blowing out the card.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    CasperKincaid
    RE: Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!! 2007/04/10 19:30:21 (permalink)
    Right on Robomusic. It worked. I am able to record. You say NOT to use the mic input, but the line in? I'm not sure if I have line in. Nothing that says exsactly that anyways. Just the dot with the lines around it that kinda looks like a speaker or radar lookin thing...((*)) kinda like that but the "*" is a dot. And there is a small arrow pointing at it. Is THAT line in? I plugged into it and it works too now.

ANyways, now I just have to figure out the volumes and things so that my guitar can be turned all the way up with out the bars going into the red. I remember the last music creator I never even tried to figure that out, and when I recorded I always just left my guitar on the volume 2. It worked but it was still kind of a pain in the ass. I remember reading about it in the help menus.

Anyways thanks a bunch for your help. You da Man! And if any of you get curious you can check out my "band" at...

www.myspace.com/hidingfromwaldo

I just started that site yesterday, and the 3 songs on it suck balls, I recorded them with the first MC. I didnt put much effort into them. Hopefully my new ones (which I shall now be recording with MC3) will be alot better and more rockin, and maybe I'll learn how to sing.

Anywho, thanks again.

Casper
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Trouble Shooting Was useless, I still cant record!!! 2007/04/11 08:45:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CasperKincaid

now I just have to figure out the volumes and things so that my guitar can be turned all the way up with out the bars going into the red.

Use the Windows mixer. Click on the speaker in the system tray and adjust the slider for volume of the line in.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1