Troubleshooting a project I'm working on

Author
windsurfer25x
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2010/08/13 18:49:04 (permalink)

Troubleshooting a project I'm working on

So I'm having some issues with a project I'm working on. It's over 70 tracks, but a number of them are muted or archived...

it's the most complex project I've ever had so far.

Anyways, two general problems...

First, I'm using some hand drums from dimension pro I forget what they are (I'm at my part-time job right now and it's dead quiet) the deeper sounding bongo or conga whatever it is starts in the verse, I'm also using the acoustic bass from Trilian in the intro and the verse but the bridge and chorus's are using an electric bass,

I'm finding in the verse with these "acoustic" sounds, I either get the bass too boomy or it's cut out too much with eq... I plan on trying the PX64 later tonight... problems around 70 Hz

The other issue, I'm finding is just bringing the mix louder and putting on compression on this complex a mix, I'm finding it starts to sound muddy and dull... should I be increasing the attack time to let more transients through?

Any advice would be appreciated

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

4 Replies Related Threads

dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:Troubleshooting a project I'm working on 2010/08/13 19:20:57 (permalink)
    Hard to say.  If you can upload a clip it would be easier to help.  Without that, best I can offer is to try EQing the problem frequency with a narrow Q before hitting the compressor.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Troubleshooting a project I'm working on 2010/08/13 20:27:54 (permalink)
    If the bass is either too boomy or you cut it out with the eq, then you are probably making too large of an adjustment. 

go here http://www.digitalprosoun...ls/mixing_excerpt1.htm and try the frequencies they discuss on bass.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:Troubleshooting a project I'm working on 2010/08/13 21:19:41 (permalink)
    Not sure what other instruments you have in there but you might want to see if any of the other instruments are generating low frequencies and contributing to building up the low end.   If you find one then apply a shelf or high-pass EQ on it.  It may sound funny on solo but fit better in the mix.  Personally I've been surprised what low tones even an acoustic guitar generates.

You could also look at using side-chained compressor to drop the volume of the bass on drum hits.  (I saw a good thread on that awhile ago, if I can find it I'll come back and edit the link into this response.)

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Troubleshooting a project I'm working on 2010/08/14 09:50:58 (permalink)
    A clip would be best so we can hear the issue of which you speak.

that said..... mixing a project with 70 tracks is, for me, past the point of a nightmare. I get brain frazzeled at 16 tracks......

trying to get all 70 tracks to set in it's unique place in the mix without stepping into another's area will be quite a task..... now I also realize that some of those tracks are very likely just short snippits...... but still quite an undertaking you have on your hands.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1