Trying to figure out mix translation

Author
windsurfer25x
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2010/07/22 18:56:11 (permalink)

Trying to figure out mix translation

Hi all,

I'm kind of confused here... I've heard different things, but so far whenever I've exported a mix out of Sonar, it always sounds duller... now is this just because my Yamaha HS50M's preserve more transient detail? 

I've heard someone who teaches at audio engineering at a local college say it having to do with digital vs. an analog summing mixer?

Is it related to the quality of AD/DA? I use my Cakewalk VS 100 for that.

The other question is what if I had some corrective EQ? Like IK's ARC.. .or something similar?

I suppose the answer is all of these may help...

but I want to know which one will help the most significantly,

Like my music exports sound more detailed and pristine if I was using a Lynx Aurora? I've been thinking about IK's ARC too... analog summing is not something I think I will be getting into but either way I would like to know what my weakest link is now... 

Is it the digital mix down where I lose the detail? or is the AD/DA? is it studio reference monitors v.s. Home theater tower speakers? 

I guess I'm just wondering what the next thing I should upgrade should be....

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

6 Replies Related Threads

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Trying to figure out mix translation 2010/07/22 19:20:03 (permalink)
    The quality of the circuitry around the D/A is usually what impacts the quality of the Audio output. This even though the actual D/A chip can be of a decent quality.

A summing mixer will have a different but not necessarily better affect on your sound. Although many feel it is a better representation of the audio in a 3D spatial sense.

Getting back to D/A paths. I had an inexpensive D/A, will not name the brand to save from insulting anyone, which had a midrange emphasis for which I ended up cutting midrange all the time. This caused my mixes to have limited translation on various playback systems. When I did up my converters to the Lynx brand, I had a more accurate representation of the music and this was not a problem. Transient response and circuit color are what separate the good converter experience from the not so good.

All this said, having multiple playback systems for mixing, in a decent treated room, will help you identify problem areas and improve translation. I am currently running Event ASP8s, 8 inch speakers, along with some M-Audio BX5a, 5 inch speakers and a Magnavox Boom Box, 4 inch speakers, for checking my mixes. As a safety check the final mix is reviewed through AKG 702 headphones. Not much gets by this range of systems that will create a problem.
    post edited by Middleman - 2010/07/22 19:25:48

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Trying to figure out mix translation 2010/07/22 19:37:06 (permalink)
    If you re-import that exported stereo wave file back into sonar and just send that track to the main outs, does it sound good again?? if it sounds different, then it could be your converters or something else going on in your exporting process, but you should not hear a noticeable difference with the sound card you have. You can make a pro quality mix with that card.

That lynx is a great converter. I use the VT-16

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Trying to figure out mix translation 2010/07/22 19:38:26 (permalink)
    A couple of things come to mind. First of all, I assume you are exporting a 24 bit mix project to a 16 bit master. There goes a fair amount of dynamics right there (although specific dither patterns can help a bit). I also assume you are going to a Wav or similar file, and not MP3 which can potentially clobber your audio further. Also keeping levels low enough to leave a bit of head room should allow transients to breath a little (leave a db or two headroom). This is especially true when your ultimate target is MP3 format. When you export (unless you are using an external mix bus) you aren't actually using the D/A of your DAW. You are simply writing to disk.
    So is your basic problem that your mixes don't translate well to other systems, or that you hear the difference immediately when you play your 16 bit master through the same monitoring equipment you mixed on?
    I would think that an external mix bus would potentially impact your mix in a way that you would hear before you write the master. Typically, you would send busses (or tracks) to individual D/A outs that feed mix bus inputs, which would in-turn sum the mix and feed it back to your DAW or an external recording device (masterlink, mag tape, etc.). I would certainly want to hear the impact of the mix bus before I wrote the master so adjustments could be made in summing and external analog effects. There's a lot of controversy around external mix busses, but I've read articles from pro's I respect that say there may be something to it.
    EQ may help, but I'm not sure you need anything too fancy. I tend to use a touch of compression and a flattering EQ that I can push a little without getting nasty (I use UAD plugs). The problem with ARC (and similar systems from JBL, etc.) is that they attempt to correct for less-than-optimum listening conditions via narrow band adjustments to EQ with some sort of RTA software and sample signals. This sort of works for one location, but you might consider treating your listening environment with acoustic materials instead. This could improve your recordings as well as your monitoring.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Trying to figure out mix translation 2010/07/22 20:17:50 (permalink)
    If your Yamaha's are like my very old pair (I've used them for 30 years or so) they are bright and brutal.  beryillium speakers and all that.  Good for mixing, since they don't flatter a mix (or master).  Don't they have a filter adjustment to roll off the high?  Also, w/ smaller woofers you aren't likely to get much bass extension.  The yama's (which have a good reputation) probably don't do it, but many speakers will accentuate the bass that is there in order for it to sound deeper.  That is a bigger mistake.

The roland/Cake unit has good D/A - I had one here.  It should work fine - not as good as lynx, but better than 99% of the playback D/A your listeners will be using.

But mostly you've stumbed in your post into the answer - know your speakers.  The exagerated hi could be the speakers, the room and/or an interaction between them.  Now you know the problem.  Mix w/ less high end and when you burn a cd and drag it into your car, boombox, friends it will sound more like how you think it should.  It is art, not science.  You can't strap an EQ over the output and hope to compensate - there are all kinds of other problems you'll introduce.  It might sound great in your usual mix spot, but move a few inches and you'll have a worse sounding mix.  Use the highest quality transducers you have - your ears.  It takes time to learn your speakers, room etc.  Better speakers (w/ more low end) will help.  A good room will help the most.  But except for the bass your ears will be able to compensate for the flaws in your system so the songs will sound good on many, if not most, systems.

Many mastering engineers are old farts who don't have half the hearing you do because they are old.  But they have what you don't, experience.  So take the time to develop yours.  That, and some talent and desire, is what it takes.  Do a mix and listen to it in a lot of places.  And listen, don't enjoy.  See how it sounds and shove it into your memory for future reference along w/ all the other places you hear your own stuff.  The harder you work at it, the sooner your mixes will translate on a wider range of equipment.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    DaneStewart
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 717
    Re:Trying to figure out mix translation 2010/07/22 21:39:58 (permalink)
    If your mix sounds "duller" everywhere else you play it - like on a bunch of other speaker systems. Then THAT is how your mix sounds.
    This means your Yamaha monitors are ADDING fake high end that is not in your recording.

I personally HATE Yamaha "studio monitors".

Do not waste your time trying to learn all about AD/DA this that and the other - just buy reputable sound cards that cost more than $300 and you'll be fine. Any decent pro digital converter box has basically sounded fine since about 1998.
    (Please no arguments from the "32-bit-196K live classical" folks. I highly doubt the O.P. is dealing with anything remotely that esoteric.)

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Trying to figure out mix translation 2010/07/22 21:46:59 (permalink)
    I've heard someone who teaches at audio engineering at a local college say it having to do with digital vs. an analog summing mixer?

Pure B.S.
    Excellent, audiophile-grade recordings can and have been made for some years now that never saw an analog circuit until they hit listeners' speakers.

Is it related to the quality of AD/DA?

Only marginally.
    Actually pretty low on the list of things that determine overall quality, despite what you may have read on Gearslutz.

...what if I had some corrective EQ? Like IK's ARC.. .or something similar?

Marginal benefit.
    Room correction isn't the snake oil some make it out to be, but neither is it a panacea. It should be the last bit of polish, after applying acoustical treatment and optimizing your speakers.

Like my music exports sound more detailed and pristine if I was using a Lynx Aurora?

No. Exports have nothing to do with your DAC. Its only responsibility is to not get in the way so you can monitor accurately.

is it studio reference monitors v.s. Home theater tower speakers?

Getting warmer, but still not as big a deal as most people make it out to be. Using speakers that were designed for studio use is desirable, but they aren't necessarily any higher fidelity or even flatter than quality hi-fi speakers. But if you want to use hi-fi speakers you'd better have some really good ones.

All of these are hot-button issues that can start online flame wars. Truth is, it isn't any one thing that determines the final quality of your product. It's the sum of everything: the quality of your gear, your room, your ears and your experience. And I've listed those in reverse order of importance. Gear is at the bottom of the list.

The biggest bang for the buck for you would probably be acoustical treatments. You might also want to invest in a copy of Har-Bal and learn to interpret what it's telling you. Also get a copy of the TT Dynamic Range meter and start using that to make sure you're preserving transients when mastering.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1