Tube Warmers - specifically freebies?

Author
Fearful Symmetry
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 446
2011/07/05 14:10:54 (permalink)

Tube Warmers - specifically freebies?

After half a lifetime wedded to Waves, I'm breaking free and branching out: started using Ozone 4 and really digging it, for example.

Anyway, late to the party as I tend to be, I've discovered the joys of tube warmers and have been playing with the TL-64 and the Voxengo Tube - both of which I like for different reasons, though I'd be very hard-put to articulate those reasons.

Anyone have any preferences or other favourites that might sweep me off my feet?
Cheers & thanks
FS

Romani Ite Domum!

17 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/05 14:38:18 (permalink)
    everyone always raves about the PSP Vintage Warmer - it's not cheap, though you can try a demo.
    re the free ones - this thread may help!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/05 14:43:08 (permalink)
    I like FerricTDS by Variety of Sound.

http://varietyofsound.wor...ay-withi-the-kvr-dc09/
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/05 14:59:22 (permalink)
    MPX MASTER TAPE

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=11702

none of the freebies or cheapies that i've heard, sounded good to me.
    just distorted.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/05 15:44:15 (permalink)
    Give me cold, hard pure digital under a bare lightbulb any time. If you can't make it sound good without smudging the edges, you're not trying hard enough.

Just kidding. But I do have to chuckle at the supposed magic and mojo attributed to tape/tube/saturation sims in general.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Fearful Symmetry
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/05 16:43:50 (permalink)
    Have you tried the TL-64? Forget the tape or tube emulation claims (I have a tower of old tape machines here I could invoke should I want to). Does it not do something nice to your ears? It does something to mine that I like.

Romani Ite Domum!
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/05 22:09:55 (permalink)
    Yes, I have tried the TL-64. It's basically a clipper, and as such can add some pleasant harmonics. I prefer something that gives me a little more control over what gets added. Ozone's harmonic exciter does that.

Another nifty plugin you might want to check out is the free MLimiter from MeldaProduction, which lets you be very specific about what harmonics are added. Not a tape emulator or a saturator exactly, but has a similar effect.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/05 23:42:17 (permalink)
    Saturation... I dig good old Camel Audio's Camel Crusher. I rarely use it to do anything too drastic, but a little touch here and there goes a long way. 

Oh yeah... And it's free. :)
    post edited by Rain - 2011/07/05 23:43:22

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/05 23:58:04 (permalink)
    Excellent thread on harmonic exciters.

The only one I've been repeatedly using has been Ozone4's module.  (Haven't had much luck with "saturators" per se)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/05 23:58:27 (permalink)
    I do it on the way in with real tubes.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/06 00:21:12 (permalink)
    I like Voxengo's  Tube Amp. Free and it works well on individual instruments and busses.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/06 01:29:07 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Give me cold, hard pure digital under a bare lightbulb any time. If you can't make it sound good without smudging the edges, you're not trying hard enough.

Just kidding. But I do have to chuckle at the supposed magic and mojo attributed to tape/tube/saturation sims in general.

+1! Well said bit. Here's my problem with these things. None of them simulates the warmth of tubes...period. Tube warmth to me means "non-abrasive". All these things add synthetic distortion that just clips in a bad way. It does NOT saturate. There are 2 types of tube sound.

1. The warm one I spoke of that is non-abrasive, smooth, without harshness or accessive "sizzly" high end.

2. The colder one with more high end "air" frequencies in it...kinda like the sound of a Brit tube amp. It's not harsh, but it's not super warm like the Yank models which are warmer.

There are only 3 plugs out of all the plugs that I've used that can do this, and they do it well. If you've ever used a REAL tube front end for real, you know just how bad these other plugs that claim they are "tube warmers" fail miserably. However, these 3 simulate the saturation *I* have experienced using analog hardware pre's and tape machines.

UAD Studer 800: By far the closest thing to tape saturation ever made in a plug. It does both kinds...the warm one and the colder one with upper air frequencies and everything in between. This is one of the best plugs ever made for what it does. Having used many different tape decks as well as owning both a 16 track 1 inch and a 24 track 2 inch machine in my studio right now, I'm fully aware of tape saturation and the warmth/effects they have. This thing has it nailed. Unfortunately it's pricey and you have to own a UAD-2 card for it.

Antares Tube VST: This one is pretty cool. You get two different tubes to choose from. Angel and Devil...and you can use them both at the same time if need be. Though this plug can get a bit raspy, while it does it, it actually warms things up.

Crow Pre-amp Emulator: This one is free and I still find it absolutely amazing. Nice dirt when you need it, and again, it literally warms things up like tubes. The 3 presets it comes with are great right out of the box. The 3rd which is real gainy, will need to be tweaked a bit...but the 2 others, you'll think you recorded on an anlog deck of sorts. Did I mention it's free? :)

*Honorable mention* Wave Arts Tube Saturator: This is an interesting plug. It gives you nice dirt and allows you to tweak the frequencies of the dirt with a built-in eq. The problem with this plug is, it uses so much cpu, it's not even worth running it. I've not seen a regular VST consume this much power ever in my life other than guitar sims. What the heck it could be doing to suck up that much cpu, I have no idea. But though the cpu thing is its downfall, it's a fairly useful tube sim if you have a strong enough pc.

All of the above said, reverting back to bit's comment where he mentioned "if you can't make it good without smudging" followed by "just kidding" after to ease the blow, he's absolutely correct! All of these plugs could be simulated with the right know-how and other plugs combined together. You could achieve the same results just as easy running the saturator of your choice along with a compressor, eq and just eq the nastiness out of it while comping the saturator.

BUT....and a huge BUT at that....you'll never cop what the Studer 800 does. That thing is in a class all by itself. :) 

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/06 01:34:34 (permalink)
    Rain

Saturation... I dig good old Camel Audio's Camel Crusher. I rarely use it to do anything too drastic, but a little touch here and there goes a long way. 

Oh yeah... And it's free. :)

+1

There are far too many saturation options that try to bedazzle claiming to re-introduce analogue style harmonics and such like when as Bit says all you want is something that will turn something that sounds like a digital audio equivalent of a ball point pen into something less harshly distinct. CC does just that, I have it available as a send effect on most projects set on the Ultraphat preset and usually just a tinge of it where needed is plenty.  As an effect it sounds completely off the wall on it's own but when tamed on a send it really comes into it's own.

I also use a tape sat usually on a bus to handle various compression tasks and to impopse the finite ceiling I got used to with tape. As digital, unlike tape doesn't understand 'too loud' very well.

For that I use Bootsy's Ferric TDS also.  It doesn't have all the 'charming' wow and flutter tape type artifacts that one would have spent hundreds of $ extra on an actual tape machine to get rid of yet are touted as features on a DSP plug, it just works.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/07/06 01:36:17

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/06 01:59:35 (permalink)
    Would we finally be recovering from that Charles Dye/MILAR syndrome?

(I'm as guilty as anyone on that one ;) )

An idea that keeps coming back recently - you know what would be cool? Something like MILAR, but done exclusively with bundled plug-ins - not $100 000 worth of Waves/McDSP plugs. 

Like: here's a digital recording, here's a digital/clean EQ and a Compressor, and here's how good it can get without adding all sort of artifacts. 

That'll never happen, I know... :s  There'd be nothing to sell, no magic tool you can lust after to magically fix your mixes...
    post edited by Rain - 2011/07/06 02:00:59

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Fearful Symmetry
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/06 13:51:31 (permalink)
    Firstly, many thanks all for chiming in: interesting indeed!

What I have is a large, unmixed country-style track loaded in Sonar with the following loaded into the output buss: PLParEQ, Cakewalk TL-64 Tube Leveller, Voxengo Tubeamp, Crow Preamp Emulator, Ferric TDS, Ozone 4.

I'm playing the track through BM15a's and AKG 240DF cans and switching between the "tube" and Ozone plugs set individually to extract the best I can for this mix, and basing my preferences simply on what my business partner and I subjectively prefer. In other words, we are not interested in what they are supposed to do or how they do it.

So far I'm really liking the Ferric TDS and the TL-64. Unless I'm doing something wrong, the Crow appears to act little more than a LP filter: warming somewhat at the expense of the tops. I really like the way the TL somehow appears to integrate (glue) the bass & drums without generating any nasties I can detect.

Anyway, I'm aware there are no panaceas and am not looking for a magic bullet: I can make albums on a pair of Revox's if I have to: just having fun and furthering my education :-)

Again, thanks all
    FS

PS The TL-64 has, by far, the biggest CPU hit!

post edited by Fearful Symmetry - 2011/07/06 13:54:11

Romani Ite Domum!
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/06 23:29:46 (permalink)
    Country uses a lot of saturation (with vocs and guitars).

FearfulSym: Please make sure you don't mix saturations on top of one another on the same track.  Vocs and guitars may have different exciters I'd suppose.  A lot of guitars can sound quite lush with their lower mids sweetly warmed, tubed, or taped.  So let us know what is working for you (so I can emulate).

Today, I've had some luck warming the lower and middle mids with Ozone4's tape ... which I've become increasingly generous with (after reading your thread and listening to pro-artists)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Fearful Symmetry
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/07 03:10:46 (permalink)
    Hi Philip. What I'm doing is experimenting with various tube-like plugs in a mastering scenario to check out what they can do to enrich my binary existence. Their technical pedigree doesn't interest me. I have a bunch of them lined up so I can switch between them for comparison purposes only. If you have any suggestion for more free warmers, I'd love to try them :-)
    Cheers
    FS
    post edited by Fearful Symmetry - 2011/07/07 12:00:45

Romani Ite Domum!
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Tube Warmers - specifically freebies? 2011/07/12 11:53:23 (permalink)

+1 on Camel Crusher....also I have used the 'Modern Black Dragon' and 'Modern Analoguer' by Antress.   They're not 'tube warmers' but they can make the sound swell or saturate.
    http://antress.blogspot.com/

All these are free and worth a peak.
    post edited by No How - 2011/07/12 12:38:36

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1