Author
DaveA
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
2010/09/08 08:45:27 (permalink)

Tube mic making horrible noise

...before I start using it!

Hi guys,

I have an Alesis tube mic (re-badged GT). It has worked great every time I get it out of the box UNTIL this morning when I start to work through the remaining tracking for an album project (working with a deadline as I've booked the mastering session).

I plug it in and it's registering an inconsistent but highly noticable background noise (not unlike white noise) up to around -35. Highly unusual. I try to replace any of the parts of the power and signal flow chains to iliminate the offending link but get no joy. The mic doesn't get used everty month and last time out it was fine.

Any ideas? I'm back to using a small diaphram condenser on acoustic guitar which is ok but I have five tracks of lead vocals to do, too :-(

Any help greatly appreciated, as always.

Dave

Singer songwriter
Sonar X2 PE x64, Carillon AC-1 (Rain Recording upgrade), Windows 8 Pro, Intel Extreme DP45SG, Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 8GB DDR3, M-Audio Delta66/Omni, other stuff

5 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Tube mic making horrible noise 2010/09/08 09:19:11 (permalink)
    Hard to say.

What type of tube?  A Small metal Nuvistor or a Glass 12ax7 type tube?

Sometimes it is helpful to remove and replace the tube so as to clean the connections between the socket and pins.

It's a long shot.

I might be tempted to leave it powered for a while to make sure all the electrolytic capacitors are well formed. Maybe it will settle in.

Another long shot.

A hiss can also be a resistor or solder joint as well.

That is not going to be easy to find if the problem is subtle and just starting.

I would double check all the cabling and cable routing to see if anything in your environment changed before servicing the mic.

Good luck,
    mike

DaveA
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:Tube mic making horrible noise 2010/09/08 09:22:44 (permalink)
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help. It's a glass tube. I took the casing off the mic to see if there was anything obviously out of place (to my untrained eye) - I didn't see anything. The tube and socket looked pretty clean, too.

I'll try your suggestions - thanks again.

Dave

Singer songwriter
    Sonar X2 PE x64, Carillon AC-1 (Rain Recording upgrade), Windows 8 Pro, Intel Extreme DP45SG, Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 8GB DDR3, M-Audio Delta66/Omni, other stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Tube mic making horrible noise 2010/09/08 09:42:02 (permalink)
    If it's a familiar sized glass tube I wouldn't hesitate to simply pull it out and put it back in... that is usually enough to clean the socket and if that is the cause of the white noise you may hear an immediate improvement the next time you power up.

best,
    mike

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Tube mic making horrible noise 2010/09/08 12:05:34 (permalink)
    If you do need a new tube, I may have one for you if it's in the 12AT7 or 12AX7 variety.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I bought a **** ton of tubes to try out, and have a bunch of good vintage tubes that are for mics and rack gear.

http://stores.ebay.com/Fogelsang-Studio?_rdc=1

I have more problems with new production tubes than cars have pills. So I stick with the vintage stuff. My knee jerk reaction to new tube gear is pull the tubes and replace them with the 50's and 60's stuff (most times before I even power them up!)

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Tube mic making horrible noise 2010/09/10 21:52:57 (permalink)
    DaveA

...before I start using it!

Hi guys,

I have an Alesis tube mic (re-badged GT). It has worked great every time I get it out of the box UNTIL this morning when I start to work through the remaining tracking for an album project (working with a deadline as I've booked the mastering session).

I plug it in and it's registering an inconsistent but highly noticable background noise (not unlike white noise) up to around -35. Highly unusual. I try to replace any of the parts of the power and signal flow chains to iliminate the offending link but get no joy. The mic doesn't get used everty month and last time out it was fine.

Any ideas? I'm back to using a small diaphram condenser on acoustic guitar which is ok but I have five tracks of lead vocals to do, too :-(

Any help greatly appreciated, as always.

Dave

Humidity maybe ?  Any spit or anything on the capsule ?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1