Helpful ReplyTwo Cents Worth (maybe not even?)

Author
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
2018/04/15 13:42:04 (permalink)

Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?)

I'm as frustrated and confused, and even disappointed as probably most folks here. The end of Cakewalk Sonar was a bitter pill to swallow. The BandLab rescue is appealing. But it is also a disruption - or an attempt at a disruption. Not unlike the subscription (hate that word) model that Cakewalk tried.

We aren't going to know how this will turn out until it does. And that is maddening. Do I stick with a tool I've been using for almost 20 years (how is that possible)? Do I assume the worst and move on? And where would I go?

This may sound odd, but if Gibson had not been in such dire financial straits I still believe that Cakewalk's subscription/monthly update model would have done really well in the marketplace. It was already gaining interest.

We know how that story ended.

We don't know if Bandlab will be able to build a successful model around a free, high end DAW. I wouldn't count them out. They have at least some of the original development team, and those folks are good. I hope they were able to hang onto some of the product team as well.
And I wish they'd give us a peek at what they are planning. This is a pretty loyal group, and I think we could "handle the truth".

For now I continue to work, almost exclusively, with the final version of Sonar Platinum. I will, at the first convenient time, install Cakewalk by Bandlab. But I am also using  Studio One - which I was playing around with anyway, and I'm considering adding DP to the system. I've always liked DP on the Mac, and in spite of some spectacular stumbles when released for Windows I have high hopes.

Maybe all of this will even turn out to be a good thing for me?

I think I'd have been just as happy to continue on my path with Sonar<G>!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Phoen1xPJ
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 13:48:23 (permalink)
DP has toooo small type and no way to change it... what good is killer feature set if I can't read it?

Yours With a Song,
Phoen1x

Wayfarer Station Micro Studio including:
*new* Cakewalk by BandLab
Intel Core i5 quad core 3.10 GHz
ASUStek P8B75-M mobo
32 GB Mushkin Blackline RAM
NVidia GeForce 210 1 GB vid card
(2) 1 TB HD & (1) 500 GB HD
*new* Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Echo Layla 24 PCI audio interface (faster than USB!)
Tascam US-224 control surface (with jog/shuttle wheel, impossible to find elsewhere)
MIDIMan 2X2 MIDI interface
...not bleeding edge but vintage rockin' 

http://verticalalignment.rocks/

ionecake
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 13:57:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/04/15 19:34:22
The great thing is that you have plenty of options on the table, and now, a new lease on life for Cakewalk. That's pretty good in my book. I agree it can be difficult to predict how things will work out with BandLab's new business model in the DAW market, but after reading more about Meng and his approach, I think Cakewalk is in as good a position as it could be right now, with some real potential. Gibson, while I now believe was at least trying to save Cakewalk with a strategy that might have eventually worked, I think Meng/Bandlab is really taking that a step further in its natural evolution to this new model. If the model has validity (which I think it does if one extrapolates from trends in other markets), then this is the place where Cakewalk will thrive. But, like anything else in life, there really is no way to predict what will happen or how it will turn out. Worst case scenario? You have a few more years with Cakewalk to decide to transition fully to another DAW.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 15:03:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2018/04/15 15:46:49
wst3
We aren't going to know how this will turn out until it does. And that is maddening.

Just a reality check, but how many things in life do you know how they are going to turn out before they do? Houses burn down, stocks crash, cars get rear-ended, marriages fail, loved ones die, etc. Some pretty serious stuff "just happens." Life is ultimately about time and decisions, so it becomes pretty moot to "bank on trouble" (i.e., worry about things just to do so).

As you already have time vested in a host that functions, the prudent choice is to leverage that and appreciate "what is for what it is." Adapt as things occur.... life forces this on everyone anyway, so there is no escaping it.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/04/15 15:49:30 (permalink)

post edited by mister happy - 2018/04/18 23:15:15

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 16:47:08 (permalink)
wst3

...For now I continue to work, almost exclusively, with the final version of Sonar Platinum. I will, at the first convenient time, install Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

IMO that's a perfectly good plan, Bill. It's very likely that the last build of SONAR will continue to work for as long as you need it to. If it does everything you need it to do, carrying on as usual is a viable option. It's not going to suddenly stop working.

That was my plan last November. I did pick up Samplitude in December as a Plan B backup, mainly because it was cheap and most-closely resembled SONAR. But Plan A was to carry on with SONAR forever. 

Cakewalk by BandLab piqued my curiosity, though, so I installed it alongside all the other DAWs sitting there on disk like puppies vying for adoption. CbB by itself feels like the "lite" version, only because it lacks the third-party plugins that had been bundled with SPlat. But all those goodies are still installed and working fine, so I'm not missing anything.

CbB is my DAW now.

Worst-case scenario: BandLab falls on its face trying to make a business out of giving away software, and abandons CbB. In that case, just return to Plan A. In the meantime we'll have picked up a few enhancements and bug fixes, further improving the odds of longevity.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
bluebeat1313
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 16:52:08 (permalink)
There are some software programs that were done many years ago that are still very relevant. Cakewalk is one of them. Yes, it has bugs and not perfect. On the other hand, this is all small stuff. It is a tool for the purpose. We use it because we like certain aspects of it/ workflow. As someone mentioned here "Adapt as things occur" Good point, but most users here are 40+. Can you teach old dog new tricks..? Maybe... But the question is why? I do not want to sit and re-learn new things that I have no use for.  Usually bad things happen when somebody with excessive testosterone levels arrives and proclaim "I can make it better!".  I believe that if Meng maintains the flow of the program unchanged and future program architecture that allows to go back to previous "feel". He should not have a problem with asking  a reasonable yearly fee for bug fixes and updates + sell VST / FX components + dedicated hardware... you name it :) 
I believe the main philosophy of Meng is to unite people of analog (us, old farts) and digital world kids. Main beef that bleeds through the lines of this forum is that older gen folks are worried about the privacy and so that Cakewalk does not become another Frootloop program. I think Meng gets this part very well. It would be great if he would express it more clear....
That he is not going to steal a bone from loyal dogs :)
woof.

tobiaslindahl
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 17:10:24 (permalink)
Not sure why everyone thinks "moving on" would be so much safer than staying. Might be that whatever you move on to, tanks as well. We have seen with Cakewalk the quality of the software is no guarantee and I am sure that can happen to others. But hey, why worry about something that at the moment is not an issue? It was, its not now. 

I will continue to use the software I like and know very well, until one day when maybe I can't. If that happens I will change to something else. It really is that simple, to me anyway. The latest developments seem to suggest that date is if not removed all together,  at least delayed for the foreseable future. 

Make music and worry less. 
The Maillard Reaction
2018/04/15 17:23:04 (permalink)

post edited by mister happy - 2018/04/18 23:15:28

dlion16
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 391
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 17:33:10 (permalink)
Don't know about you guys, but I expect that CbB v2.0 will be a paid upgrade, with additional features and plugs. Then they'd have a free version that might be of interest to their existing folks and a higher-end paid version for us. 

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 17:46:28 (permalink)
wst3 Do I stick with a tool I've been using for almost 20 years (how is that possible)? Do I assume the worst and move on? And where would I go?
I think this bit right here touches on why I've been so frustrated during this whole process. I think I'm not alone in this respect. Like many, I've been a loyal user of the Cakewalk/Sonar platform for more than 20 years. And it turns out, that was a mistake.

Not a mistake in the sense that I should have used something instead of Sonar. But a mistake in that I should have been using something else in addition to Sonar all along.

Cakewalk was the first software sequencer I learned. I liked it capabilities and how it functioned so I stuck with it. I saw no reason to use anything else. I learned and worked with Protools and few others while working in friends studios. But I never felt the need to install any of them on my computer or integrate any of them into my work flow. That was a mistake.

Anyone familiar with Steve Albini knows he uses analog tape almost exclusively. Not so much because of how it sounds, but in his words, because its the only medium he knows of that he can guarantee will still be accessible and workable 100 years from now.

Analog tape is not proprietary. Anyone can build a tape machine that will work with it. You can't say that about any native DAW format. All of them store their information in proprietary formats using code that they exclusively own and control. So if a DAW manufacturer closes up shop, your ability to access any work you did in that DAW will eventually go away. That's the deal with devil we all make when we decide to work in digital formats.

And there's another deal we make with the devil. Analog tape and the machines that work with it are, relatively speaking, dirt simple to use. And they all work more or less the same. So if you understand how to use one of them, you can easily use any of them. That is not the case with DAWs. Any given function on one of them can have a completely different name, workflow, and implementation on another. So moving from one to another is almost like starting from scratch again and it could take months or even years before one is able to complete projects in a new DAW without any time spent googling how to do something they've never done before or only done once a few months ago.

So what this whole Gibson/Sonar/Bandlab cluster eff has taught me is that anyone who decides to work with a DAW should in fact work with at least two DAW's and possibly three. Perhaps write/develop ideas in one, record them in another, edit/master in a third.

Because sooner or later, one of them is going to go away. You'll want to be well versed in working with something else when that happens. And you'll also want to be well versed in methods of exporting/importing projects between their proprietary formats when that happens. Working with several constantly is the only effective way to do that.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 17:58:54 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
<snip>
Because sooner or later, one of them is going to go away. You'll want to be well versed in working with something else when that happens. And you'll also want to be well versed in methods of exporting/importing projects between their proprietary formats when that happens. Working with several constantly is the only effective way to do that.

You know, that's it exactly! We are at a point where putting all our eggs into a single (proprietary) basket is a real risk. That wasn't the case 20 years ago, when the idea of a project file was still a ways off, and everything was stored as a MIDI file, or later on as MIDI and audio files.

Excellent post!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 18:06:58 (permalink)
The real killer is: So lets say CWbyBL doesn't fly, for whatever reason. will "someone" honor the activation algo we were promised? I highly doubt it and that, imho stinks. 
I understand that if this were offered now many of us might say, the hell with BL versions, I have my daw now, bugs and all. So that makes sense for it NOT to happened now.

But what if? Hopefully all will go well with CwbyBL and we all at least with Plat and \or plat lifetime will get nice discounts on what they charge for updated Plat versions. I would not expect to get the "extras" for free, I am talking about the core program. It also has been floated that it will be free for the chosen many.

Yes I really would love that algo........................I guess only time will tell where we go and how we get there.
I am with Bitflipper on this...Sonar for me period...one way or another. I licensed Reaper 2 years ago I think. Good thru 5.xx. Good to have and fun learning how to customize....for me, Reaper UI "definitely needs customization......

The Maillard Reaction
2018/04/15 18:14:54 (permalink)

post edited by mister happy - 2018/04/18 23:15:47

tobiaslindahl
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 19:13:58 (permalink)
I think mister happy is right.

Not sure why the fear of losing what you create is so great really. If you are done with something, just put in in audio,save it somewhere and write out the score for it and you can recreate it easily if you for some reason need to.
It can't be that many of us that have 100's of things still in progress at any given moment, and even then the demise of the software will not be instant. It would start by not being supported etc  giving us lots of time to secure whatever is there. 

Its like a writer having his typewriter/wordprocessor going out of style and all of a sudden all his work is gone and he can't possible access it or continue working?   

You don't remember what you write? If so maybe write it down. Would make you sleep better. 

Mad_Musicologist
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/15 20:45:16 (permalink)
I must say I am happy with CWbyBL.
At first launch, I was shocked to see there were no VST plugins, neither instruments nor FX, but on the second launch almost all of them were there - including third party plugins like Aria Player for Garritan, or Pianoteq. Onyl one smaller plugin suddenly was soundless (although appearing in the session), but I suddenly had the same issue with "old" Sonar Professional - I contacted the creator of that plugin. (It might evebn be possible there is some bug that popped up after the last Windows 10 spring update.) All other works fine.
Might I quote about that future fear I read in this thread more than once, the great saying of John Cage, "I welcome whatever happens next.
Of course, if you have many projects in status "work in progress", it might be wise to have a "plan B", like, knowing how to export that project, so other DAWs can "read" the format of that export file without problems.
Just in case the worst scenario takes place and CWbyBL would be discontinued all of a sudden.
But let's be optimistic, the adventure just has begun.
post edited by Mad_Musicologist - 2018/04/16 03:10:15
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/16 00:22:20 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin

Analog tape is not proprietary. Anyone can build a tape machine that will work with it. You can't say that about any native DAW format. All of them store their information in proprietary formats using code that they exclusively own and control. So if a DAW manufacturer closes up shop, your ability to access any work you did in that DAW will eventually go away. That's the deal with devil we all make when we decide to work in digital formats.

You really need to look into azslow3's .cwp file converter for Reaper.  That looks like an excellent plan B. 

I do agree that proprietary file formats are a concern.  I am glad that Microsoft finally gave way with support for the Open Document Format. 

With ODF the way you store documents does not determine the software you work with. Files in the OpenDocument Format (ODF) are platform independent and do not rely on any specific piece of software whatsoever

https://support.office.co...4D8F-AE74-EA06B7DF3B0E

http://opendocumentformat.org/

I use LibreOffice for my office productivity needs now. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
SimpleManZ
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Two Cents Worth (maybe not even?) 2018/04/16 03:24:26 (permalink)
Any high school teachers out there-even college. You can now install a relatively very good DAW for free. Good for your budget. Perhaps just perhaps with a good Score addendum on one end, then ease of making beats the other and Cakewalking by BandLab can be a maker.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1